or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tablet will be more than a niche product - report

Apple's tablet will be more than a niche product - report - Page 3

post #81 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

is that a serious question?

More of a rhetorical one.
post #82 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

It's funny that you say this, at the starbucks where I live there is a woman who sets up her iMac at a table every day and uses it, and yes the large model, I don't know if she just moved here and doesn't have internet yet or what, but she has it in a suitcase with rollers and brings it in and sits there and works all day.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=17
post #83 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, but how practical is that? I carry my iPhone everywhere. Home, work, bars, clubs, the grocery store...it's always in my pocket. Something in the 10" size you're going to be carrying it in a sleeve or something, just like any other notebook. And I definitely don't carry my MBP everywhere with me.

So I think a 10" device is just too big for a carry everywhere device like the iPhone. So it is going to be a niche product or something different for say, the home, that everyone would want to get?

Just think of it as a lighter, more portable MacBook Pro. In other words a netbook.

I don't think you have an argument calling a netbook or a MacBook or a MacBook Pro a "niche" product. It's a base-line portable computer. A "niche" product would be a product that has severely limited functionality or appeal. This thing seems by design to be aimed at broad functionality and broad appeal.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #84 of 239
Quote:

It's funny that you say this, at the starbucks where I live there is a woman who sets up her iMac at a table every day and uses it, and yes the large model, I don't know if she just moved here and doesn't have internet yet or what, but she has it in a suitcase with rollers and brings it in and sits there and works all day. ...

I'm a life-long pacifist and I've never hit anyone in anger, but people like this woman just need to be slapped if you ask me.

Starbucks is so lame in this regard because they don't have any actual managers at the store. Usually just some silly 18 year old young thing with the *title* of manager.

What's wrong with people today that someone would even think this was an okay thing to do, and that no one would ever call her on it?
post #85 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just think of it as a lighter, more portable MacBook Pro. In other words a netbook.

I don't think you have an argument calling a netbook or a MacBook or a MacBook Pro a "niche" product. It's a base-line portable computer. A "niche" product would be a product that has severely limited functionality or appeal. This thing seems by design to be aimed at broad functionality and broad appeal.

I didn't mean to make it seem like I was calling them niche products because I wouldn't consider a netbook or MBP a niche product. I'm trying to guess what it might be. 1) A niche product, limited in scope or demographic, 2) Another portable option along with a MBP or 3) An "OMFG there's nothing else like it and I have to have it" device, like the iPhone.

I think a lighter more portable MacBook Pro will still need to be carried like a MacBook Pro even if lighter. Which means it is not a carry everywhere device. But that's fine if it's just another portable option.....something to choose between a MBP or tablet, it would certainly serve a purpose.

But I was trying to think if it could be something else. Something that would make everyone go nuts and rush out and buy it to add to their collection of Apple products.
post #86 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

$2000 for car DVD system
$2000 for navigation

$600 for itablet and you don't have to take a stack of DVD's along with you to keep the kids entertained

Odd numbers.

<200 for a portable DVD player in the car.
<200 for a portable GPS navigation system.
Nintendo DS or some such, 200?

Now we are talking equal prices.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #87 of 239
If it looked this dorky no one would buy it.
post #88 of 239
It's almost as if some people have perpetual amnesia, continuously forgetting the reasons why tablets are less popular than other form factors. It isn't that we don't have the technology. And it isn't for lack of thought or effort. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been sunk into developing tablets but every venture bumps into the same brick wall. For a large percentage of computing tasks, interacting with a tablet is cumbersome for humans. It isn't the technology that's the problem, but rather the physiology of humans.

Tablets have to be held in one hand while using the other hand for interaction. Or it can be held with two hands and barely operated with both thumbs. Tablets can't be effectively used without holding the screen in a viewable position. The lack of a true keyboard is also key. Tasks involving much user input will be significantly slower and more aggravating on a tablet. This isn't something that can be overcome with technology.

The reason why the iPhone succeeds while tablets haven't is because the iPhone is small enough to fit in a pocket. People are willing to put up with the limitations of the form factor because of the incredible convenience provided by having a computer on them at all times, without having to lug around a piece of protective luggage.

Sorry to rain on the parade. It's just that tablet proponents constantly fall into the trap of thinking that tablets are new or un-thought-out. The reality is that they've been thought-out and rehashed continuously for nearly 20 years now. The problem isn't technology. Instead it's the very nature of how humans must interact with objects in the physical world.

This is why I'm asserting that tablets will only gain wide scale use when they become dirt cheap. They simply aren't appealing enough unless the price is a non-issue. For the vast majority of humanity, tablets will always be relegated to the status of an auxiliary computer. At this point in time, auxiliary computers have to be cheap because they aren't truly necessary for our jobs or lifestyles.
post #89 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It's almost as if some people have perpetual amnesia, continuously forgetting the reasons why tablets are less popular than other form factors. It isn't that we don't have the technology. And it isn't for lack of thought or effort. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been sunk into developing tablets but every venture bumps into the same brick wall. For a large percentage of computing tasks, interacting with a tablet is cumbersome for humans. It isn't the technology that's the problem, but rather the physiology of humans.

Tablets have to be held in one hand while using the other hand for interaction. Or it can be held with two hands and barely operated with both thumbs. Tablets can't be effectively used without holding the screen in a viewable position. The lack of a true keyboard is also key. Tasks involving much user input will be significantly slower and more aggravating on a tablet. This isn't something that can be overcome with technology.

The reason why the iPhone succeeds while tablets haven't is because the iPhone is small enough to fit in a pocket. People are willing to put up with the limitations of the form factor because of the incredible convenience provided by having a computer on them at all times, without having to lug around a piece of protective luggage.

Sorry to rain on the parade. It's just that tablet proponents constantly fall into the trap of thinking that tablets are new or un-thought-out. The reality is that they've been thought-out and rehashed continuously for nearly 20 years now. The problem isn't technology. Instead it's the very nature of how humans must interact with objects in the physical world.

This is why I'm asserting that tablets will only gain wide scale use when they become dirt cheap. They simply aren't appealing enough unless the price is a non-issue. For the vast majority of humanity, tablets will always be relegated to the status of an auxiliary computer. At this point in time, auxiliary computers have to be cheap because they aren't truly necessary for our jobs or lifestyles.

Of course capacitive multitouch screens, lighter weights, stronger low power processors, better batteries, and operating systems designed from the ground up for touch wouldn't help a tablets chances at all. Also, I believe you are underestimating how much people would pay for such a device.

You also got the reason why the iPhone succeeds completely wrong. There have been pocketable touchscreens before it, none have reached anywhere near the heights of the iPhone. There is more to the picture than what you have described, and if Apple does produce a tablet, I think you will see that there is more to that picture as well.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #90 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

No, THIS is a dorky tablet...

post #91 of 239
My biggest fear is that Apple will decide for people what they need instead of giving them what they want. They have a pretty bad track record lately of bait and switch when it comes to key features. They'll give you something really cool that you've never had before, but not without taking away something that you use every day.

I cringe when I think of things they could do, like a tablet that is just a big iPhone (no tactile input, no file system, all apps must be bought/installed through the app store, restricted internet capabilities, etc).

I know they COULD make something Insanely Great that makes all other netbooks and tablets look lame in comparison, I just fear that they won't.

For me, the ideal would be an official Apple 10" version of the ModBook Pro (a real full-function Macbook Pro with a combination multitouch screen/wacom tablet, running the full current version of OS X), WITH a rotate-and-fold-to-hide real keyboard.
post #92 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

My biggest fear is that Apple will decide for people what they need instead of giving them what they want. They have a pretty bad track record lately of bait and switch when it comes to key features. They'll give you something really cool that you've never had before, but not without taking away something that you use every day.

I cringe when I think of things they could do, like a tablet that is just a big iPhone (no tactile input, no file system, all apps must be bought/installed through the app store, restricted internet capabilities, etc).

I know they COULD make something Insanely Great that makes all other netbooks and tablets look lame in comparison, I just fear that they won't.

For me, the ideal would be an official Apple 10" version of the ModBook Pro (a real full-function Macbook Pro with a combination multitouch screen/wacom tablet, running the full current version of OS X), WITH a rotate-and-fold-to-hide real keyboard.

They probably wont be making the tablet you want. Sadly Apple can't satisfy everybody, and what you want wouldn't sell well to the masses and it wouldn't come cheap...
post #93 of 239
Why does everybody keep talking about flat tablets with no keyboards? There are other kinds of tablets, such as convertible tablets which are regular laptops with touchscreens that can swivel around and fold down over the keyboard. Wouldn't a convertible laptop running full Mac OS X be far more useful than an oversized iPhone?
post #94 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Why does everybody keep talking about flat tablets with no keyboards? Wouldn't a convertible laptop with a touchscreen running full Mac OS X be far more useful than an oversized iPhone?

Something that would be thicker, heavier, more unwieldy, more expensive and more fragile would not necessarily be more useful. Why buy that over a MacBook, especially since it would be guaranteed to cost more? At least you can use a tablet immediately in almost any position.

The main limitation of the iPhone as a computer is its screen size. It could do many more tricks with a 10" screen, including intuitive multitasking. And I really don't think Apple have finished developing iPhone OS. It's still a puppy. There are a lot of tricks they can teach it. It already has 85% of Snow Leopard's code base.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #95 of 239
Quote:

Why does everybody keep talking about flat tablets with no keyboards? There are other kinds of tablets, such as convertible tablets which are regular laptops with touchscreens that can swivel around and fold down over the keyboard.

But, that's a laptop, not a tablet. These tablets might be very useful for students or people who want access to digital books. The keyboard will probably be onscreen like the iPhone. That's a better solution for a device that's not meant to replace a laptop or impersonate a laptop.
post #96 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Something that would be thicker, heavier, more unwieldy, more expensive and more fragile would not necessarily be more useful. Why buy that over a MacBook, especially since it would be guaranteed to cost more? At least you can use a tablet immediately in almost any position.

The main limitation of the iPhone as a computer is its screen size. It could do many more tricks with a 10" screen, including intuitive multitasking. And I really don't think Apple have finished developing iPhone OS. It's still a puppy. There are a lot of tricks they can teach it. It already has 85% of Snow Leopard's code base.

I agree.

Additionaly, Apple likes to keep their designs simple and clean. They wouldn't do a screen on a swivel hinge. It would also directly contradict their statement that people don't want cramped keyboards. the iPhone doesn't have a slide out keyboard, neither will a tablet.
post #97 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

2001 was a strange movie. In anyevent I'm recalling a scene in that movie where a guy was sitting at a table using or looking at a tablet computer. It was a little on the big size but I'm hoping for something similar from Apple. That is something thin and wide screen format.

At least I'm hoping that was 2001. Getting old and mixing up movie scenes is a real possibility. Like wise if you watch Eureka they get most of the tablets wrong. Generally in Eureka they are to thick and squarish.

It would be interesting to see which movie or TV show people think best represents what a tablet should be.

Dave

star trek with the bald guy has the most tablets i think
i wonder what chips can keep it cool to the touch
yet give us ramming speed power

remember the g 4 is dead
a worldwide fever pitch this tablet thing
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #98 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Of course capacitive multitouch screens, lighter weights, stronger low power processors, better batteries, and operating systems designed from the ground up for touch wouldn't help a tablets chances at all.

From a hardware perspective, laptops face pretty much the same hurdles. As for software, there have been plenty of tablet OSes written for the ground up.

Quote:
You also got the reason why the iPhone succeeds completely wrong. There have been pocketable touchscreens before it, none have reached anywhere near the heights of the iPhone. There is more to the picture than what you have described, and if Apple does produce a tablet, I think you will see that there is more to that picture as well.

There is certainly more to the picture.

The reason why I mentioned size as paramount is because all tablet-resembling computers that have ever had even the slightest degree of success, have been small enough to fit in a pocket. The point being, the iPhone and a larger tablet are completely different devices. That slight difference in size has massive implications for how humans are willing to integrate the device into their life. The convenience of carrying a particular sized object will never change, regardless of technological advances.

This isn't to say that larger tablet devices won't become more popular. It's just recognizing the reason why tablets haven't become popular while pocket computers and laptops/desktops have. At an extremely low price though, people will certainly adopt tablets into their computing usage. But for the most part, that usage will supplement their current computing, not replace it.

[EDIT]
Laptops, and even desktops for that matter, could also bennefit from multi-touch. The key is price. For the given price, the masses have repeatedly spoken, they don't want to pay for computers with touch screens (and touch interfaces)... yet. When touch screens become ridiculously cheap, we will without a doubt see touch interfaces integrated into our daily lives. Desktops and laptops too, not just tablets, will benefit from that technology. By that point though, people will likely have also adopted tablets for certain tasks. I doubt they will carry them around too much more than we see today though.
post #99 of 239
My Initial thought would be this:
$499 - $699 for this? It's just a jumbo iPod Touch with multi-tasking? Well, if that's true, i'd rather have a $399 netbook and be done with it. at least i won't have to prop it up on my lap and deal with a touch keyboard.
post #100 of 239
...with the spate of enthusiastic censorship Apple has recently piled upon iPhone apps, I strongly hesitate.

It detracts from the tablet's usefulness in the extreme. Software stagnation!
post #101 of 239
Quote:

From a hardware perspective, laptops face pretty much the same hurdles. As for software, there have been plenty of tablet OSes written for the ground up.

As laptops have gotten thinner and more powerful, they have become more and more popular. Now we are coming to a point where people are saying the desktop is dead. Technological advances can and do move products forward. As far as input methods go, the advances in touch screen technology mean a lot to a tablet, just like good trackpads have helped laptops. For example, how many laptops would there be if we still had to use that little nub placed in the middle of the keyboard instead of a trackpad?

When most people think of a tablet, they think of a tablet running some form of Windows, which was not made for touch from the ground up, nor were its programs. I wouldn't mind reading up on some of the operating systems made for touch from the ground up that were used on tablets if you have any examples (I'm not familar with them so I wouldn't be able to argue their strengths or flaws, although one obvious weakness would be lack of software support if they weren't windows, iPhoneOS wouldn't have that problem).

Edit: Laptops becoming cheaper had a lot to do with their growth too, which would support your point. However, I think an Apple tablet in the $600 - $700 range (possibly less with a 3G contract) would sell well. I think that would represent a significant enough drop for many people to purchase them.
post #102 of 239
I'm really sick of these dimbass analysts. Appleinsider, engadget, gizmodo, boygenius- these sites are the new analysts. Wall st had nothing on the info an rumors presented here. All jafray did was rehash rumors these sites have posted, making a report out of it.

And it won't be the iPhone is. It will be snowleopard with it's new touch friendly navigation, it will be sociable and it will be possible to connect it to a regular monitor , keyboar and mouse. Minidisplayport, Bluetooth- they will be in the tablet or on the dock.
post #103 of 239
Quote:

... Tablets have to be held in one hand while using the other hand for interaction. Or it can be held with two hands and barely operated with both thumbs. Tablets can't be effectively used without holding the screen in a viewable position. The lack of a true keyboard is also key. Tasks involving much user input will be significantly slower and more aggravating on a tablet. This isn't something that can be overcome with technology. ...

I think you're just dead wrong on this. It's also a logical fallacy to assume that because "technology" has been devoted to overcoming these obstacles in the past that all is lost. "Technology" is a moving target. The technology of 1990 is not the same as what's available today.

There are some basic engineering problems that tablets face that have not been overcome, but you're not thinking straight when you imply that everything has been tried and that Apple's purported tablet cannot offer any new solutions in this regard. Multi-touch is new. Apple's patent on infra-red detection of hand positions is new. Materials and manufacturing techniques change all the time.

The chief problem with tablets is the weight and bulk of the devices themselves and the awkward methods of input previously used. Apple's tablet may be complete vapourware, but the recent advances they have made in both these areas can't just be ignored.

I've seen a lot of tablets, and I've never seen one light and small enough for thumb-typing for instance. That alone would solve half of the input problems if it can be done. I've never seen a tablet that can be used in "pen-mode" without actually using a pen either. If Apple has indeed solved that problem, that's another reason for an Apple tablet to succeed where others have failed.

If you can type on the thing without putting it down, and hold it comfortably in one hand for a long period of time, that alone would make a tablet hugely successful and vastly superior to all others before it. If you could also draw or write on it, it would seem to be a home-run IMO. It's all speculation at this point, but the idea that tablets have "been tried" and aren't worth trying again is totally false.
post #104 of 239
Quote:

People said they would never pay 100s for a phone again, people said no one would pay that much for an iTouch ... etc., and so on.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third party developers to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a 3G iPhone. Nobody cares about 3G.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not make a multi button mouse. Nobody cares about a multi button mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors. Intel is evil.
post #105 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

...iPhone OS on a tablet is a deal killer for me - you can try and reframe it all you want, but it won't do everything I want it to do with the iPhone OS (and it is a different OS, with different APIs than OSX, no matter what you say.)

If you had a closer look at the api's for the Mac and the iPhone, I don't think you would be making such statements. Apple has done such a good job in its Trojan horse strategy that people have incredibly erroneous impressions about the nature of the iPhone OS. Because so many competitors thought iPods were just forays into the media player device realm, they were caught flat-footed when an innovative, expressive, and probably more advanced OS emerged with the iPhone. While others are clumsily retrofitting "multitouch" elements onto their frameworks, Apple has something built from scratch. It easily benefits from OS X api's (e.g. OpenGL) that are orthogonal to event tracking elements but those will usually be streamlined and improved based on experience acquired during the past decade.

It wouldn't be a compromise or careless to use the new framework on an iTablet rather than a retrofitted WIMP api (window, icon, menu, pointer application programming interface). It would be doing something better which is unavailable to competitors.
post #106 of 239
Quote:

I'm a life-long pacifist and I've never hit anyone in anger, but people like this woman just need to be slapped if you ask me.

Starbucks is so lame in this regard because they don't have any actual managers at the store. Usually just some silly 18 year old young thing with the *title* of manager.

What's wrong with people today that someone would even think this was an okay thing to do, and that no one would ever call her on it?

I'm puzzled why you are so agitated. If you are managing a MacDonalds I can see that revenue maximization would require that customers get in, eat, and then clear out so more can be accommodated. But this is a Starbucks which will customarily have many individuals with laptops, buying one coffee after another and enjoying an ambiance that is unmistakably different from MacDonalds. It is certainly more inconvenient for the customer to bring along an iMac but what difference is it to everyone else including the manager?

I have a MacbookPro and I don't see how it is less obtrusive than my brother's iMac though I wouldn't want to carry his machine around. They both need to be plugged in as a practical matter (check how many laptops are not plugged in) and have about the same footprint. Perhaps your post was meant to be humorous and I just missed the cue. If not there are a lot of public computer users with whom you have a bone to pick. Good luck.
post #107 of 239
This sounds like it might pave the way for real digital text books in school. We've already seen a few colleges adopt the iPhone as a required accessory for students. As long as the battery life can reach 10 hours or so, imagine every student in high schools and colleges having these things. There would be all kinds of development and collaboration possibilities once the tablet or digital book market reached that size.
post #108 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Agreed. I'm hoping for Snow Leopard running on these devices too, but with a custom touch UI.

I don;t need a full OS (at least I don't think I do!)

If I could
  • Check and reply to email
  • Browse the web
  • Read E-books
  • Read and edit simple text documents

And fit the device in my purse without straining my shoulder I would buy one in a heartbeat!
post #109 of 239
I don't see it under $899.
post #110 of 239
Quote:

It's all speculation at this point, but the idea that tablets have "been tried" and aren't worth trying again is totally false.

That's not what me or anyone else has been saying here.

Rather, I've been pointing out that the form factor has inherent strengths and limitations that are completely unrelated to the technology or interface. No matter the improvements in technology, a tablet still won't fit in your pocket and it still won't be optimal for text input, etc. Tablets have uses, and with a drop in price they will be used for those tasks. But an in-depth study of the human factors involved pretty clearly indicates what the form factor is good for and where it is less desirable than the alternatives.

For instance, there is a reason why paperback books are the size they are. Or any book for that matter. The same is true for computers, especially laptops and pocket computers. They're a particular size for a reason and no matter the changes in technology, they will remain the same size for the rest of eternity. That is, unless humans all of a sudden change size.
post #111 of 239
Why would anyone think that Apple will not create something beyond expectations (they've done it over and over again)
post #112 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

No, THIS is a dorky tablet...

Yuck.
post #113 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

This design is perfect on the iPhone/iPod Touch but so much more bland for a tablet IMO.
post #114 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixmi View Post

Why would anyone think that Apple will not create something beyond expectations (they've done it over and over again)

+1. We'll see what they can produce very very soon.
post #115 of 239
Quote:

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third party developers to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a 3G iPhone. Nobody cares about 3G.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not make a multi button mouse. Nobody cares about a multi button mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors. Intel is evil.

LOL! Now we're just waiting for the last one.. the others have all been fulfilled..
post #116 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't see it under $899.

I guess it will be $799 IMO.
post #117 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

My Initial thought would be this:
$499 - $699 for this? It's just a jumbo iPod Touch with multi-tasking? Well, if that's true, i'd rather have a $399 netbook and be done with it. at least i won't have to prop it up on my lap and deal with a touch keyboard.

+1. I will never want a giant iPod Touch since I already have an iPod Touch and a 3GS. A giant iPod Touch just makes no sense.
post #118 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:R2theT View Post

Why would it not be a netbook? Because Apple isn't calling it that.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

If (as the report states) that this new tablet is essentially a jumbo iPod Touch with multi-tasking, then is is NOT a netbook. Obviously you don't know what a netbook is.
post #119 of 239
Quote:

Price is the key. Tablets won't be people's primary computer. Instead they will be an auxiliary computer used for specific tasks. With this in mind, price is the key. Tablets will only become popular when they are so cheap that people can buy them on whim. A "why not?" kind of purchase. Otherwise, it will only be the rich that equip themselves with an auxiliary/limited-use computer.

$600 is close but not quite cheap enough in my book. At that price, most people will continue to use their laptop or desktop. With that said, I would love an Apple tablet. I probably can't justify the purchase of one though, even at the $600 price. My 24" iMac already does everything I need so a tablet would fall into the luxury category for me.

Well, it is a luxury device by definition. I honestly believe if they sell these for $600 a piece, they won't make their quota. When Netbooks are selling for $299 - $499 right now, that's the price-point apple should be looking at. Especially since this new tablet is rumored to be just a jumbo ipod Touch. You can do more on a netbook for half the price, it's a pretty easy decision.
post #120 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Running the iPhone OS on this tablet would be a deal killer for me.

I really am not interested in a larger version of the iPhone - the iPhone works just fine for what I need.

However, a 10 inch machine that I could do some email and light word-processing on that would sync easily with my other desktop and laptop - that would be great.

Hopefully I won't have to create a hackintosh in order to get this.

Dude, you kind of contradicted yourself here. You said you wanted a device that can do email and light word processing that can sync with your home PC...well, the iPhone kind of already does that.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's tablet will be more than a niche product - report