or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features - Page 5

post #161 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post

I was all for eSATA until I researched the thing a bit wanting to buy an eSATA dock for boxless hard disks. As it is now, it is interesting only for fixed external storage: you must have your external hard disks on when you startup your Mac, you cannot hotswap, etc.

So I rather have them implement USB 3 as soon as possible (mind you, eSATA would be nice anyway, but it is no faster FW or USB substitute).

eSATA hotswap works perfectly well if the controller and the OS/driver properly implement the spec.
post #162 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple needs to get with the program and update it's antique 30-inch displays.

I'm guessing one of the new features that Apple didn't want to go with is SATA. Frankly I'm a little miffed that my Mac Pro and iMac are stuck with old Firewire technology and the Windows world is cruising around with external SATA ports.

For the Mac Pro, just buy a $50 eSATA PCI card and put it in an open slot. Bam, eSATA ports!

For the iMac, you have a point...
post #163 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

eSATA hotswap works perfectly well if the controller and the OS/driver properly implement the spec.

Yes. I have a Firmtek eSATA card in my G5 tower, as well as a somewhat generic SATA card (Syba brand if it matters) with a Silicon Image 3132 chip in my Mac Pro. Hot swap works fine, you just eject the drive by dragging it in the trash and then unplug it to remove the drive.

The Sil 3132 card took a bit of fiddling to get it to work, so I suggest getting an eSATA card that explicitly supports OS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post

I was all for eSATA until I researched the thing a bit wanting to buy an eSATA dock for boxless hard disks. As it is now, it is interesting only for fixed external storage: you must have your external hard disks on when you startup your Mac, you cannot hotswap, etc.

So I rather have them implement USB 3 as soon as possible (mind you, eSATA would be nice anyway, but it is no faster FW or USB substitute).

eSATA should have lower latency, with USB3 or FW3200, you have to hop data across more controller chips. But maybe the drives simply aren't fast enough for latency to matter, I don't know, we'll see when we start getting actual devices.
post #164 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

NO glossy screens, PLEASE!
At least two FireWire 800 ports.
Quad core processor.
QUIET.

And, of course, a SUPER Mac mini or a Mac mini TOWER. That is, a headless Mac that is QUIET.

You got that right. Kill the glossy-only and give us a choice already. I'll pay $50 more for non-glossy.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #165 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

perhaps merely that Blu-ray hasn't crashed and burned. it actually looks like it is going to have a market.

that said, I can't see them putting it in all machines. I can see it in the Pro and perhaps the highest 24", perhaps as a custom option on the others.

as for the thinner comments. the thickness is due to the components so it likely won't change too much. not until they go solid state, which is also something I could see being a custom feature at least on the higher end. prices are coming down enough it's possible.

a +3 ghz processor on the high end would be nice. more harddrive and cheaper ram (that upgrade to 8gb is a hurt right now), all probably in the pipe.

touch screen imacs I don't really see as a high market. perhaps an option on the displays for businesses, but I would think that a matte finish option is more wanted than touch screen. again at least as a custom choice for the high end 24" and the display.

and a 30" display and/or 30" imac would probably have some market, particularly if prices came down

I wonder if the encoding process for Blu-Ray is far more difficult than standard DVD. I've seen many BRD demos where there has been significant image 'stutter' during film action sequences. I couldn't watch it more than a few minutes I was so distracted.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #166 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by makepeace View Post

AppleInsider has its ups and downs (down when they let Prince Maclean aka Daniel Dilger launch into one of his conspiracy theories, up when they stick to the facts) but this is the worst article of the last year by a considerable margin.

1) It contains no information. Zero.
2) It tries to slyly hint at Blue Ray without actually saying so - as if this makes the article witty and interesting rather than bland and pathetic.
3) It has been highlighted in Red on the AI website (unclear whether that is a manual setting or an automatic flag in response to traffic). Still Red implies an article of above average interest and this one is clearly not one of those.

Yes - the next iMacs will differ from the current iMacs in some ways. If history is any guide the changes will be slight, everyone will claim disappointment and they will go on to sell in record numbers anyway.

If this is the standard of reporting we can expect from AI going forward you guys are off my bookmarks list immediately.

Wow. You registered just to make one comment, then take AI out of your bookmarks? Try harder next time.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #167 of 231
I have room on my desk for a 30-incher. That way Apple could put in more USB ports, too.
post #168 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

I like the iMac design, but it seems to work best for younger people with better eyesight.

--snip--

Is it too much to ask for the customer to be able to lower the screen for better viewing with bifocals?

Remember, Apple, we're the ones with the high disposible income!

I have the problem you describe. Also, my 86 year old mom has a 24" iMac. She arranged it so that the chair she uses is a bit higher than normal and her desk seems lower than normal.

When I use it, I always wondered why the screen seemed to look funny. She set the screen resolution to something less than 1920X1200. This makes everything bigger.

She has owned and loved Macs since the very first one that came out. She is a retired secondary school teacher (French) and will rap your knuckles if you mess with her Mac!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are ways for those of us with mature vision to still use Macs.
post #169 of 231
I can't wait for a new Airport card that includes GiFi and WUSB, but I'm sure we won't see that anytime soon. As a musician, WUSB seems really exciting, because you could hook up wireless USB-MIDI controllers.
post #170 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I use a Mac notebook an personally love the keyboard.

A lot of younger people who "prefer notebooks" to desktops will share your love of the status quo. But as an owner of Apple equipment since 1984 (and I've not yet hit the elderly age of 40 yet, mind you), I have come to enjoy good keyboards from Apple.

In light of those past good experiences, it makes me sick to think I have to plunk down more cash now for a keyboard that is as good as what Apple used to make for us "free in the box." Now Apple caters to the "notebook" generation, with keys that sink down all of 3mm when you press them. I prefer the less-than-stellar keyboard on my Mac 128k to the current MACK-truck-flattened abomination that ships with new iMacs. I shudder to think how awful it will be when Apple starts to cater to netbook-minded users! Indeed, I have little doubt that Steve Jobs wants a Star Trek style keyboard, with no mechanical keys at all, the likes of what you have on the iPhone. While "cool" in the extreme (and believe me, I love coolness very much), it would not be practical for those of us who prefer not to rap our fingers across our desks for fun. Tactile feedback is needed in a stock Apple keyboard that doesn't cost me anything extra. And for the eco-minded among us, better stock equipment reduces garbage too. What a waste to buy a new computer only to ditch the stock keyboard in the trash (or closet) because Apple forces you to buy a "decent" keyboard from elsewhere!

Apple, bring sanity and practicality back to your stock keyboards. Or make one for a modest fee as a BTO option.
post #171 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder if the encoding process for Blu-Ray is far more difficult than standard DVD. I've seen many BRD demos where there has been significant image 'stutter' during film action sequences. I couldn't watch it more than a few minutes I was so distracted.

you sure that wasn't the TV you were watching it on? I haven't seen any 'stutter' in the action scenes
post #172 of 231


This non-story reminds me of the comedy sketch that Mark & Lard used to do on Radio 1 in the afternoon - 'vague news'.

'Somebody may have said that it may or may not be cloudy somewhere later on'.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #173 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm going to go on record as speculating that one of the new features is an external multi-touch trackpad instead of the Mighty Mouse. In my experience, the MacBook (Pro/Air) trackpad is superior to any mouse.

Agreed. I'd be happy if they just developed software to allow me to pair my ipod touch with my iMac and use it as a multi-touch trackpad, but a suitably larger desktop equivalent of the glass multi-touch trackpads would be epic.
post #174 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder if the encoding process for Blu-Ray is far more difficult than standard DVD. I've seen many BRD demos where there has been significant image 'stutter' during film action sequences. I couldn't watch it more than a few minutes I was so distracted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

you sure that wasn't the TV you were watching it on? I haven't seen any 'stutter' in the action scenes

I wonder what it would be. I don't think TVs would do anything that appear like lowering frame rates. I don't recall anything that would look like that, and I use a full HD projector for watching Blu-Rays.
post #175 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

I can't wait for a new Airport card that includes GiFi and WUSB, but I'm sure we won't see that anytime soon. As a musician, WUSB seems really exciting, because you could hook up wireless USB-MIDI controllers.

Maybe in the next 5 years?
post #176 of 231
I guess
  • an SD-card reader
  • faster and quad-cores processors
  • larger screens, something like 28" or 30"
  • mate screens, at last
  • Blu-Ray, but as an option
  • new mouse or new keyboard with built-in track-pad
  • bold new input device managed by the iSight camera
  • iSight camera with auto-focus, just as the iPhone 3GS one
How long should we wait to get the answer from Apple or more precise rumors ? \

Are there holidays for rumors ?
post #177 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wow. You registered just to make one comment, then take AI out of your bookmarks? Try harder next time.

Haha nice one there. his UN (User Name) is make peace yet now it seems to be the opposite.
post #178 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

I guess
  • an SD-card reader
  • faster and quad-cores processors
  • larger screens, something like 28" or 30"
  • mate screens, at last
  • Blu-Ray, but as an option
  • new mouse or new keyboard with built-in track-pad
  • bold new input device managed by the iSight camera
  • iSight camera with auto-focus, just as the iPhone 3GS one
How long should we wait to get the answer from Apple or more precise rumors ? \

Are there holidays for rumors ?

I guess you'll have 2 out of all the above spot on. No, there are no holidays for rumors.
post #179 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed. I'd be happy if they just developed software to allow me to pair my ipod touch with my iMac and use it as a multi-touch trackpad, but a suitably larger desktop equivalent of the glass multi-touch trackpads would be epic.

ARgh!! Then everybody will be dropping their iPods due to excessive movement and shattering the glass screens due to falls and carelessness!
post #180 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm going to go on record as speculating that one of the new features is an external multi-touch trackpad instead of the Mighty Mouse. In my experience, the MacBook (Pro/Air) trackpad is superior to any mouse. This is in stark contrast to any PC laptop, where the first thing I do is plug in a mouse. Perhaps it might even be an external keyboard with a multi-touch trackpad included.

There's no other explanation for why Apple hasn't touched the Mighty Mouse in years, despite the problem with the trackball getting jammed requiring manual cleaning.

Second. My iMac is only 2 years old, and I don't plan to replace it any time soon. But I have the same problem with the Mighty Mouse trackball not scrolling in the downward direction; no amount of cleaning helps anymore. I rather not replace the mouse at $69. I would immediately buy an external keyboard with a trackpad.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #181 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Second. My iMac is only 2 years old, and I don't plan to replace it any time soon. But I have the same problem with the Mighty Mouse trackball not scrolling in the downward direction; no amount of cleaning helps anymore. I rather not replace the mouse at $69. I would immediately buy an external keyboard with a trackpad.

You can replace the mouse with another mouse. A simple Logitech mouse should run you $15. If you don't need the side scrolling, it works very well.
post #182 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post



This non-story reminds me of the comedy sketch that Mark & Lard used to do on Radio 1 in the afternoon - 'vague news'.

'Somebody may have said that it may or may not be cloudy somewhere later on'.

Aw yess! Of all the places to see a Mark & Lard reference!!!

Blu-ray must be one of the things, with the Bag of Hurt reference. No clue what the other might be though. SD card slot is probable, to go along with the MBP, maybe a bigger screen than 24"
post #183 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are ways for those of us with mature vision to still use Macs.

I have a 24" iMac and use it as a giant magnifying glass that can speak synthesized English (if necessary). Besides lowering the resolution, you can use Universal Access to set up Zoom; white-on-black instead black-on-white (toggle with Control-Option-Command-8). Also, you could fall back on the alternative UI known as VoiceOver that is an integral part of Mac OS X.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #184 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You can replace the mouse with another mouse. A simple Logitech mouse should run you $15. If you don't need the side scrolling, it works very well.

I've considered that option and might just do it. Thanks for recommendation.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #185 of 231
I'm guessing a fullsize PCI-slot with a special made carriage or special made cartridges that allows you to easily pop in an extra graphics card for gaming (for a total of two) or a sound card / processing card for studio professionals etc.

Apples investment with OpenCL and GrandCentral and their latest MBP with two GPUs kinda points to that they're looking to stuff their Macs with more and specialized PUs in order to create a competitive and differentiated hardware platform. It should happend sometime, maybe now..
post #186 of 231
My interest in iMac is real thin so these are wild ass Guesses but for starters how about a custom Apple video encoder/decoder chip? The possibly from the PA Semi team.

That would appeal to video pros and even consumers. The appeal to pros is why I think it would be Apple custom other wise you could just use the GPU. What I would expect is encoding capabilities beyound what consumer chips offer. Of course Apple could go to Nvidia and have them tailor a GPU chip to this usage.

The leads into a second possibility, that is that they add a GPU chip to the motherboard specifically to support OpenCL. Doing so on it's mainstream desktop machine would put the rest of the x86 world on the defensive and make iMac really stand out. It needn't be a super fast OpenCL accelerator either, just the fact that it is standard equipment and a new baseline for developers ought to stimulate sales and more importantly OpenCL development. In the end a second GPU chip that is not the video chip would be a huge step forward.

Professional audio in ports. This would be my third thought or hardware possibility. Regular XLR recepticals would be just dandy if connected to high quality analog in.

Drive bays! Probably should have listed this first. IMac needs to be serviceable and it needs "drive" bays. Where drive bays could be PCI Express slots for SSD on PC cards. Apple needs to address the reality that peoples storage needs grow over time and the reality that drives belong inside the machine.


Dave
post #187 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

No, it won't, and the word is "break".


It would appear I unintendedly played with words. Of course, I meant to say that the next iMac would "Make or break" Apple, but I stand by what I wrote and it is just possible that the next iMac will put the brakes on the rise of Apple.

Regarding your numbers, Apple's world computer market share is only 4%. And if laptops, including netbooks (not made by Apple), sold more than desktops, there is still 40% or 45% of desktops, and less only if you include servers and workstations.

Apple is the computer company which doesn't sell any desktop computer because it is comfortable (and high on pot?) with a 4% computer world market share.





P.S.: While we disagree, you can be polite. Try it, it won't hurt.

post #188 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder what it would be. I don't think TVs would do anything that appear like lowering frame rates. I don't recall anything that would look like that, and I use a full HD projector for watching Blu-Rays.

Some LCD's would do it, something to do with 24p from memory
post #189 of 231
Apple can make the mini a real machine or midrange tower or matte iMac but won't why? Then they lose all their high end overpriced macpros to graphic artists. Sure you can argue a similar spec Dell machine cost more but a mac pro i7 non server CPU and non ecc ram would be half the price and get the job done.

Apple has stopped caterting to us creative folks and they are all about thenipod and iPhone


Time for apple to start catering to the huge pro and even larger semi pro audio/video and gaming crowd and let us pick our own displays, ram, and expansion cards.

I would like to see the iMac with express slots and a quad or 8 core i7 machine mid range tower. Time to stop price hoarding. I remember apple selling a $75 graphic card for $350. Terrible. And the mighty mouse should have a 3 year warranty at that price. More times then not, the ball stops scrolling down after one year. Very bad build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

It would appear I unintendedly played with words. Of course, I meant to say that the next iMac would "Make or break" Apple, but I stand by what I wrote and it is just possible that the next iMac will put the brakes on the rise of Apple.

Regarding your numbers, Apple's world computer market share is only 4%. And if laptops, including netbooks (not made by Apple), sold more than desktops, there is still 40% or 45% of desktops, and less only if you include servers and workstations.

Apple is the computer company which doesn't sell any desktop computer because it is comfortable (and high on pot?) with a 4% computer world market share.





P.S.: While we disagree, you can be polite. Try it, it won't hurt.

post #190 of 231
It so great. Thanks a lots.

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto
post #191 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

but I stand by what I wrote and it is just possible that the next iMac will put the brakes on the rise of Apple.

Slowing the Mac's growth is not the same as "sinking it for good"


Quote:
Regarding your numbers, Apple's world computer market share is only 4%. And if laptops, including netbooks (not made by Apple), sold more than desktops, there is still 40% or 45% of desktops, and less only if you include servers and workstations.

Absolutely! But taking the notebook market out of the equation is only half the story.

Out of your "45%", how many of those desktops are going to Microsoft entrenched IT departments? (And Dell has just announced yet another AIO targeting that market http://www.tomshardware.com/news/dell-vostro-all-in-one)

Of the remainder (maybe 28% now?) How many of those desktops are priced at around $ 600.00 or less? Time and time again Apple have repeated that they are not interested in this market. Unscientific. I know, but over on the Best Buy web site half of the PC towers fall into that price range.

So now your 40% is closer to maybe 15%. That's consumer/pro-sumer/small biz desktop PCs.

How many of those are AIOs? All the major PC OEMs sell them. Sony only sells AIOs. Lenovo has a larger range of AIOs than towers.

How many of that 15% are high end towers and gaming rigs that compete with the Mac Pro?
How many of that 15% are dinky little desktops that compete with the Mac Mini?

You may disagree with my figures (I am only making an educated guess) and there is definitely still a market for an upgradable consumer tower. But that market could be closer to 10% than 45%.

Notebooks and Netbooks are growing. AIOs are growing (probably). the Desktop tower market is shrinking.



Quote:
Apple is the computer company which doesn't sell any desktop computer because it is comfortable (and high on pot?) with a 4% computer world market share.

Feel free to disregard my laborious figures but try and answer one last question.

Why does Apple refuse to make this elusive XMac?
Is it because Apple are jerks and they are high on pot?
Or is it because they just don't see enough money in it?

Ok that was three questions.
post #192 of 231
post #193 of 231
This thread is on Page 5 and I still don't understand.

How is adding BR to the iMac a 'compelling' new feature? To the Pro line, I can understand.

After all, the Final Cut market will eat it up. But who edits wedding videos and wedding photos on a glossy iMac?

And it's really unlike Apple to add BR to the iMac line first.
High end features go to the Pro line first, then the consumer line.

So is AI saying that the Mac Pro will be bumped prior to the new iMac?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #194 of 231
So... the new iMacs will have 2 new (unnamed) features... then we get 5 pages of people pulling stuff out of their butts!

Yeah... this was a worthwhile article!

Jim
post #195 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder what it would be. I don't think TVs would do anything that appear like lowering frame rates. I don't recall anything that would look like that, and I use a full HD projector for watching Blu-Rays.

I suppose it could have been the model of HDTV. As I understand it, TV manufacturers have boosted the refresh rate on TVs to help solve this visual artifact problem.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #196 of 231
...for semi-pro video busy is the difficulty encountered when trying to go "tapeless."

The file needs to be converted first--very slow. Sort of negates many of the benefits of tapeless I think Steve Job has complained about cam companies not going tapeless fast enough.

Maybe the "complelling feature for "semi-professional audio/video crowd" is a hardware-based (fast) conversion?

--Darin
post #197 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinb View Post

...for semi-pro video busy is the difficulty encountered when trying to go "tapeless."

The file needs to be converted first--very slow. Sort of negates many of the benefits of tapeless I think Steve Job has complained about cam companies not going tapeless fast enough.

Maybe the "complelling feature for "semi-professional audio/video crowd" is a hardware-based (fast) conversion?

Conversion isn't required for all tapeless formats. Final Cut Pro supports the P2 and XDCAM formats natively. It's quite refreshing really, you can just copy it over and start using it right away.
post #198 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Apple can make the mini a real machine or midrange tower or matte iMac but won't why? Then they lose all their high end overpriced macpros to graphic artists. Sure you can argue a similar spec Dell machine cost more but a mac pro i7 non server CPU and non ecc ram would be half the price and get the job done.

Apple has stopped caterting to us creative folks and they are all about thenipod and iPhone


Time for apple to start catering to the huge pro and even larger semi pro audio/video and gaming crowd and let us pick our own displays, ram, and expansion cards.

I would like to see the iMac with express slots and a quad or 8 core i7 machine mid range tower. Time to stop price hoarding. I remember apple selling a $75 graphic card for $350. Terrible. And the mighty mouse should have a 3 year warranty at that price. More times then not, the ball stops scrolling down after one year. Very bad build quality.

Overpriced? How soon we forget. My G4 dual 500mhz tower ended up costing me more than double the cost of a Mac Pro tower today and my current Mac, a previous-gen Mini with a lone gig of RAM runs circles around that old top-of-the-line tower.

There is no reason for the step down from the Mac Pro to be considered a significant threat to that machine. It could be a more powerful alternative to the current Mini featuring far fewer expansion options than the Mac Pro. But I don't see such a machine as an alternative for pro use on the cheap but rather a machine for those of us who are not pros but would like a little more power for uses like HD video rendering for personal use.

Desktop sales are in decline and Apple is trying to keep things simple. But I don't think it's fair to claim Apple has abandoned its pro customers. I would argue that for a pro, looking at it historically, the price for a capable, pro-grade Mac is much lower now than it has ever been.

Also, I don't know that Apple's decision to go laptop components for the Mini is necessarily a fatal misstep. Laptop components are getting progressively more powerful and soon enough we may have a Mini with enough horsepower to do some very demanding work, including HD video rendering. When that happens, I think Apple will have all the bases covered, despite its decision to go laptop pieces in their consumer-grade desktops.
post #199 of 231
Quote:
Feel free to disregard my laborious figures but try and answer one last question.

Why does Apple refuse to make this elusive XMac?
Is it because Apple are jerks and they are high on pot?
Or is it because they just don't see enough money in it?

Ok that was three questions.


I'll give it a try. The iMac has always been an all-in-one computer aimed at students, home users, professionnals and small companies. When the iMac morphed into the current LCD monitor form factor, Apple placed the logic board behind the screen and adopted a slower, cooler, portable CPU for 2 reasons:

a) to save money by placing one large order for portable CPUs used in both MacBooks and iMacs;
b) to reduce the heat produced by the CPU and allow for thinner, quieter iMacs with reduced or no added ventilation.

The iMac could be thicker behind the screen to provide enough space for a better ventilation which would allow Apple to use cheaper, faster, hotter desktop components not only for the CPU, but also the graphic card and the RAM.


Decision making at Apple has always been a problem with Steve Jobs second guessing everything and everyone, insisting that he is the inventor of everything made by Apple. Under such a tyrany, most companies go from being competitive and innovative to being out of touch with reality and slow to respond to new competitive challenges.

With the illness of Steve Jobs which meant continuous exams, surgeries, secrecy and, finally, a 6 month leave of absence, Apple has just become more irrelevant as its competitors created better and better computers at an ever cheaper price. Netbooks are just one example. Blu-Ray and quad-core CPUs are another example.

What is wrong with higher prices and higher profit margins? Most people prefer a good deal when they can find one. Windows computers are 40% cheaper than Macs. If you are a school board, are you going to pay 40% more for classroom computers? If you are a company, are you going to pay 40% more for 200 or 2,000 computers? The answer is a resounding NO!

When you compare features like Blu-Ray drives, quad-core desktop CPUs, user repleacable desktop graphic cards, iMacs just don't cut it.

And what is wrong with buyers choosing a brand new desktop tower with a Blu-Ray drive, a quad-core desktop CPU, a larger hard drive, 4 GB of RAM standard, a faster desktop graphic card, Windows 7 and a 40% lower price than a slower, dual core mobile CPU iMac?

A 4% world market share would be half of the problem it is for Apple if Macs used a standard operating system (Windows) with applications written in a standard computer language, i.e. C++, instead of a specific Objective C language which is not used by most programmers.

An ever smaller world market share, persistent higher prices, higher profit margins, poor features reflecting last year's technology all conspire towards one inevitable conclusion: Apple is fast becoming irrelevant for most people, a boutique company with niche products which are overpriced and underwhelming. The problem has taken years to mature, but accelerated with the health problems of Steve Jobs.

Squeezing the lemon for every last drop just doesn't make sense anymore. Ignoring competitors and belittling Windows won't bring buyers back to Apple.

Why not a desktop XMac or iMac?

Steve Jobs is the problem. Some people say that he is delusional, others believe that he is just a tyrant. Could he be just wrong? Stubborn and slowing down Apple?

For background info on Steve Jobs, see the Fortune Magazine editorial:

The trouble with Steve Jobs @ http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...tune/index.htm




P.S.: Sorry for the long answer which shows only one thing: it doesn't make any business sense for Apple to sell no desktop computer, no desktop tower.


post #200 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I'll give it a try. The iMac has always been an all-in-one computer aimed at students, home users, professionnals and small companies. When the iMac morphed into the current LCD monitor form factor, Apple placed the logic board behind the screen and adopted a slower, cooler, portable CPU for 2 reasons:

a) to save money by placing one large order for portable CPUs used in both MacBooks and iMacs;
b) to reduce the heat produced by the CPU and allow for thinner, quieter iMacs with reduced or no added ventilation.

The iMac could be thicker behind the screen to provide enough space for a better ventilation which would allow Apple to use cheaper, faster, hotter desktop components not only for the CPU, but also the graphic card and the RAM.


Decision making at Apple has always been a problem with Steve Jobs second guessing everything and everyone, insisting that he is the inventor of everything made by Apple. Under such a tyrany, most companies go from being competitive and innovative to being out of touch with reality and slow to respond to new competitive challenges.

With the illness of Steve Jobs which meant continuous exams, surgeries, secrecy and, finally, a 6 month leave of absence, Apple has just become more irrelevant as its competitors created better and better computers at an ever cheaper price. Netbooks are just one example. Blu-Ray and quad-core CPUs are another example.

What is wrong with higher prices and higher profit margins? Most people prefer a good deal when they can find one. Windows computers are 40% cheaper than Macs. If you are a school board, are you going to pay 40% more for classroom computers? If you are a company, are you going to pay 40% more for 200 or 2,000 computers? The answer is a resounding NO!

When you compare features like Blu-Ray drives, quad-core desktop CPUs, user repleacable desktop graphic cards, iMacs just don't cut it.

And what is wrong with buyers choosing a brand new desktop tower with a Blu-Ray drive, a quad-core desktop CPU, a larger hard drive, 4 GB of RAM standard, a faster desktop graphic card, Windows 7 and a 40% lower price than a slower, dual core mobile CPU iMac?

A 4% world market share would be half of the problem it is for Apple if Macs used a standard operating system (Windows) with applications written in a standard computer language, i.e. C++, instead of a specific Objective C language which is not used by most programmers.

An ever smaller world market share, persistent higher prices, higher profit margins, poor features reflecting last year's technology all conspire towards one inevitable conclusion: Apple is fast becoming irrelevant for most people, a boutique company with niche products which are overpriced and underwhelming. The problem has taken years to mature, but accelerated with the health problems of Steve Jobs.

Squeezing the lemon for every last drop just doesn't make sense anymore. Ignoring competitors and belittling Windows won't bring buyers back to Apple.

Why not a desktop XMac or iMac?

Steve Jobs is the problem. Some people say that he is delusional, others believe that he is just a tyrant. Could he be just wrong? Stubborn and slowing down Apple?

For background info on Steve Jobs, see the Fortune Magazine editorial:

The trouble with Steve Jobs @ http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...tune/index.htm

Right so I guess the short answer would be : "Because Apple are jerks and they are high on pot"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features