or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › "IT" will be revealed- "UPDATE"

"IT" will be revealed- "UPDATE" - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Kate, I think it's the fact that this thing is not driven is the selling point. It's barely even ridden. You stand on it and lean.

No pedals, no hand or foot operated brakes. Nothing.
I can change my sig again!
post #82 of 86
People, it's really not *that* difficult to understand what this thing is.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #83 of 86
"I'm still worried about bumping into peope at rush hour. It's one thing to have a close encounter when walking at 3 mph, I imagine it's much more dangerous at 15 mph."

I imagine only those with poor judgement would travel on a Segway at 15 MPH on a sidewalk. You don't see many people runing on sidewalks, do you?

Besides, while its name is Ginger, and it can turn gingerly on a dime, it's nowhere near as agile as your own two feet. During rush hour, it would probably be impossible to even attempt travelling at 15 MPH. You don't see people plowing into pedestrians on bikes that often...or cars mowing down other people.

As long as people use ocmmon sense, Segway won't be to much of an intrusion on sidewalks.

The most likely consequence for Segway owners...they'll probably be chased by large dogs more often...

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
post #84 of 86
I would like to inform the AI crowd of a few important Video URLs I have come across....

Here is the Quicktime Video of "IT"..... <a href="http://www.segway.com/video/consumer_T1.mov" target="_blank">click here</a>... Size - 2.3MB

And the page URL it comes from..... <a href="http://www.segway.com/consumer/connect/multimedia.html" target="_blank">click here</a>

I had some difficulty finding the "Quicktime Movie"... becuase of what I can only assume is a javascript error.... And thought to post these if other had experienced the same...

E PLURIBUS UNIX
-----------------------------

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
post #85 of 86
I admit i have not read this entire thread (3 pages is a lot of if and but over something noone posting has actually riden yet)....

......but did anyone else notice the familiar style of the promo video - it is very much like Apples powerbook/ibook etc. The music, the voice over method.... i wonder if it is the same agecny that apple uses ?
post #86 of 86
the UI of the Segway also has a Apple-like quality...

I am not sure if its in this thread... Or at MacNN, but someone posted an image of the friendly mac-like UI....

I found it....

that about says it all....

E PLURIBUS UNIX
-----------------------------
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › "IT" will be revealed- "UPDATE"