or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › MacBook won't start up

MacBook won't start up

post #1 of 5
I've been serching around for a solution but i haven't seen another problem that's quite like mine, it's just a little different.

I was setting up my friends wireless network. I was sitting down trying to access it when I shut the lid on my mac (MacBook 13.3 in. Black) putting it into sleep mode, and then I walked into the room where the router is. I opened my computer and it was off and since then it hasn't turned on.

Now the weird part that I think sets my problem apart form others I read about, even on the apple support site, is when I press the power button the status light comes on but the screen stays black. It sounds like something is running but the caps lock light or the number lock light don't light up. At this point I've tried most of every method, holding down random buttons while trying to start the computer up but nothing has worked. I'm 4 hours away from the closest apple store and out of the apple care warrenty anyway so if anyone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. All of my music and videos etc are saved on my computer so if I cant fix this I lose all my stuff.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris010 View Post

I've been serching around for a solution but i haven't seen another problem that's quite like mine, it's just a little different.

I was setting up my friends wireless network. I was sitting down trying to access it when I shut the lid on my mac (MacBook 13.3 in. Black) putting it into sleep mode, and then I walked into the room where the router is. I opened my computer and it was off and since then it hasn't turned on.

Now the weird part that I think sets my problem apart form others I read about, even on the apple support site, is when I press the power button the status light comes on but the screen stays black. It sounds like something is running but the caps lock light or the number lock light don't light up. At this point I've tried most of every method, holding down random buttons while trying to start the computer up but nothing has worked. I'm 4 hours away from the closest apple store and out of the apple care warrenty anyway so if anyone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. All of my music and videos etc are saved on my computer so if I cant fix this I lose all my stuff.

Could be a screen problem or maybe your mainboard, afraid it looks like a four hour trip. Not to worry too much as your data is probably safe on your hard drive, if it was a disk error a question mark would have shown up to say your mac couldn't find a disk. The HDD is very easy to remove from a Macbook, all you need would be an external case/adapter to hook it up to another mac to read and copy the contents, or a Windows computer with one of the programs that can read the OS X filesystem
post #3 of 5
Thanks man, I think it might be my motherboard unfortunetly because I did try hooking it up to an external screen and nothing happened. But that's such a relief to hear about my data and stuff because I would probably cry if I lost all my music and pictures haha. I think I will take it to apple but it looks like I'll be buying a new mac (macbook pro hopefully hah)

thanks again
post #4 of 5
when i press the power button my macbook wont start even though i hear the hard disk running in side. Battery is full. I took it to a Apple shop and they told me its not worth fixing, better to buy a new one. The problem is the mother board which are very expensive.
Is there any other way to get the mother board fixed or a copy mother board installed. Or an alternative cheaper way to fix the problem?

thanks
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad77 View Post

The problem is the mother board which are very expensive.
Is there any other way to get the mother board fixed or a copy mother board installed. Or an alternative cheaper way to fix the problem?

Sure. Buy a new motherboard or a new computer. You can't magically fix one unless you feel like finding which of the thousand soldered parts is the broken one, finding a replacement, taking the old one off, and soldering the new one on, which isn't possible anyway.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › MacBook won't start up