or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft says Office 2010, Outlook for Mac coming next year

Microsoft says Office 2010, Outlook for Mac coming next year - Page 2

post #41 of 81
MS promised a while ago that the next version of Office would bring Visual Basic back. Nothing is mentioned about this in this article. If they don't I will have to stick to Office 2004, and will not be the only one. Anybody who knows?
post #42 of 81
Please no!

I work all day with Outlook and can't get on with it. I don't think switching between the views in Outlook is any more onerous than switching between apps on my Mac. Especially as when I toggle between messages and contacts in Outlook, contacts always reverts to my first contact losing sight of the person I was interested in.

Finding stuff in the Mac apps is a dream compared to in Outlook. I usually use spotlight to find contacts and appointments and old messages buried in my inbox.

I say that they should keep on their current path, fine tune these great apps, keep improving background linking/synchronisation/connectivity. It's a winning formula for me at least. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are more than adequate.

It's so good to come home and work with a real computer.

Regards

fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

The 4 apps are light-weight because they're very efficient, and lack some features of Entourage. If Apple were to combine these into one app, they'd be more efficient than running the 4 separate apps. The only reason you wouldn't want these to be one app is if you weren't going to be using some of them.

If Apple were to consolidate the apps into one, I'd consider using it, but for now, I prefer Entourage, and I'm looking forward to Outlook.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

MS promised a while ago that the next version of Office would bring Visual Basic back. Nothing is mentioned about this in this article. If they don't I will have to stick to Office 2004, and will not be the only one. Anybody who knows?

While this particular article doesn't mention it, this one does:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1422...tml?lsrc=top_1

Yes it will return.
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Did we ask for these? Hasn't everyone moved to cell phones as their email client?

No. Or do you think every cell phone sold is a smart phone? Hardly.
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It took only 10 years for MS to make a cocoa application.

Nah. It only took 6 months to write it, but 9 1/2 years to screw it up enough so it meets the Micro$oft "criteria".
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #46 of 81
When it comes out I am going to hurry up and not buy it.
post #47 of 81
Say what you want about "Micro$$$$oft" (people really like using dollar signs nowadays) but hey I'm just happy that they're actually trying to improve their products. Though I do note that they sure got a lot of money from it with messing up 2008 and putting it back in 2010. Do something with offline messaging and A/V with Messenger: mac and that would make my day...
post #48 of 81
This is absolutely glorious news, i can finally dump my Dell Vostro and get an iMac and use my PST folders when Outlook is out. I wonder why Apple did not create a cross platform PST reading app - agreed Exchange is the key but we don't all have access to Exchange.

Fully appreciate people who haven't used Outlook on PCs will wonder why the fuss and Mac Mail / Entourage to be good enough or great for what they do, but Outlook is miles ahead in functionality, i hope Outlook is kept simple and not overcomplicated.
post #49 of 81
Well, I don't know much, but every time I open a Word doc and see that it has Visual Basic macros which are not supported by Mac Word I wonder how Microsoft can claim cross platform compatibility. Hopefully they will rectify this seeming problem. Maybe I just don't understand.
post #50 of 81
This morning, I tried to save my paper in Word after making about an hour's worth of new text and dramatic clean-up of my document. Then word said my hard disk was full. I pointed it at a windows image but it said that was full as well. This is the newest build of Mac Office 2008 SP2. I might add that the year 2010 is nearly here. And word still can't save a document. I don't know if there is anything more that needs to be said about the legacy of Microsoft. I enjoyed typing the document, but without a reliable Save feature, the usefulness of Microsoft Word is limited to that fleeting pleasure, of creating a nice documen that no one will ever see.
post #51 of 81
64-bit Cocoa...
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by arorat View Post

This is absolutely glorious news, i can finally dump my Dell Vostro and get an iMac and use my PST folders when Outlook is out. I wonder why Apple did not create a cross platform PST reading app - agreed Exchange is the key but we don't all have access to Exchange.

Fully appreciate people who haven't used Outlook on PCs will wonder why the fuss and Mac Mail / Entourage to be good enough or great for what they do, but Outlook is miles ahead in functionality, i hope Outlook is kept simple and not overcomplicated.

Correction to my post ..... Having just read the article at MS, I will not hold my breath about Outlook functionality until its released. The last 6 years or so MS has produced some over complex products in the name of progress. its a moneymaking scheme to offer loaded functionality and them make it better in the next release by making it simpler - case in point Vista.
post #53 of 81
Outlook is decent. iCal was ok, but they have made it worse. They added clicks to edit info, and To Do's are not very smart. In general I just feel they don't devote much resources to iCal. It's pretty easy to integrate iCal, Mail, and Address Book. But Outlook might be easier and more powerful. I look forward to Outlook for Mac. I may use it if it's better than iCal. I hate Microsoft and I hate Windows, but I have to say, not too much compares to MS Office and its ecosystem. iWork is just...different. OO.o etc. don't cut it. I mean, Office/Exchange ought to be at least decent, it's probably got a bigger budget than all of Apple's software put together!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #54 of 81
Quote:
The suggested retail price for the new Business Edition is the same as the current Standard Edition, $399 for the full product and $239 to upgrade.

For $170 you can buy all iWork and iLife applications from Apple. They work great!

I ditched Office for Mac a few years ago, and haven't looked back since.
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Did we ask for these? Hasn't everyone moved to cell phones as their email client? How about an outlook client for cell phones, instead.

Oh yeah we all sit at work reading our emails on a 4 inch screen rather than big monitors in front of us and then type with one finger to respond.

I do like Apple's Mail, iCal etc but that's just for home use. When it comes to work, organising meetings, keeping track of huge amounts of email, Apples programs really arn't up to the job. The lightwaight simplistic nature of them just doesn't fit. I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

People that are forced to use Windows only network environment. Thats about 90% of the planet. So no matter how much of a piece of crap these Microsoft products for Mac, you have to use it if you want a chance to use your Mac for anything else in those environment.

I just read 30% of corporate IT mgmt's still are locked into IE.... ....6! And have forced not only their users, but MS to continue to support this truly sucky product.

So if you're not at one of these firms, count your blessings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It took only 10 years for MS to make a cocoa application.

And how much better is Adobe doing??

(or have they finally got off the schneid when I wasn't looking? having all the functions I already need)

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Exchange 2007 requires either Outlook 2007 or 2003 and higher. don't remember which though.

Outlook 2003 works just fine with Exchange 2007, but Outlook 2007 gets extra features/functionality in the bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

[2] Standardization of Office in light of increased competition?

This is more about playing defense against Google Apps, IMO, than anything else. It's keeping Office ubuiquitious.

That, and the MacBU seems to have some wide autonomy to do their thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

I don't suppose that MS will put VB back into Excel this time around

Yup. In the next version. My guess is they will sell a *lot* of copies of Office 2010 with that feature set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Outlook is decent. iCal was ok, but they have made it worse. They added clicks to edit info, and To Do's are not very smart. In general I just feel they don't devote much resources to iCal. It's pretty easy to integrate iCal, Mail, and Address Book. But Outlook might be easier and more powerful. I look forward to Outlook for Mac. I may use it if it's better than iCal. I hate Microsoft and I hate Windows, but I have to say, not too much compares to MS Office and its ecosystem. iWork is just...different. OO.o etc. don't cut it. I mean, Office/Exchange ought to be at least decent, it's probably got a bigger budget than all of Apple's software put together!

I'm not that impressed with Notes/MobileMe only sync'ing to my iPhone via USB (Gruber has a couple of thoughts about this on his blog that are on the mark), and I've *never* been that thrilled with iCal where editing is painful and navigating the UI is as un-Mac-like as I've seen from a non-Pro Apple application. My two cents, YMMV...

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.

Add mailboxes and set up rules. Works much, much better in Mail than in Outlook. By far. I've even arranged so that outbound emails get sorted as well.
post #59 of 81
More vapour-ware.

MSFT have found something to announce just before the release of Snow Leopard just to make sure their name is also in the news.

They do it all the time except this time they didn't have to invent an OS for the purpose. Windows, Win ME, Vista...
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I do like Apple's Mail, iCal etc but that's just for home use. When it comes to work, organising meetings, keeping track of huge amounts of email, Apples programs really arn't up to the job. The lightwaight simplistic nature of them just doesn't fit. I just can't imagine having the 60 odd folders I have to sort my message in Outlook fitting in with mails interface.

Are you serious? There are lots of businesses that use only Apple's software, including my own. They aren't as lightweight or simplistic as you think they are.
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

Say what you want about "Micro$$$$oft" (people really like using dollar signs nowadays) but hey I'm just happy that they're actually trying to improve their products. Though I do note that they sure got a lot of money from it with messing up 2008 and putting it back in 2010. Do something with offline messaging and A/V with Messenger: mac and that would make my day...

Well that is just it. You have said it all. Because we know MS and their track history we KNOW for a FACT that this "new" MS Office for Mac is a bunch of vapourware. It will be just the same steaming pile of crap that was the previous Office with a different logo.
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mposer View Post

More vapour-ware.

MSFT have found something to announce just before the release of Snow Leopard just to make sure their name is also in the news.

They do it all the time except this time they didn't have to invent an OS for the purpose. Windows, Win ME, Vista....

Exactly right.
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T View Post

Outlook was one of the factors that prompted me to leap from MS Windows to Macs and OSX. I have to use Outlook on a work PC and it just makes me appreciate Mail on my Mac when I'm at home.

1000% agree. I hate using outlook at work everyday, unless these are the same only in name outlook for mac can't be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

A cocoa version of outlook for mac?

Holy shit, Hell just froze over.

Hell has cooled off a bit. It would freeze over if they announced they ported Access...
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Hell has cooled off a bit. It would freeze over if they announced they ported Access...

cocoa? i don't buy it...i'll believe it when i see it

like they have done with windows me (which was the same piece of crap as any other windows version) the new outlook will be the same as entourage...it's taking them a while to figure how to copy and paste so much code on their sad computers...
post #66 of 81
It's good that they're using the system frameworks. You can do the GUI in Cocoa and still have most of the code in plain C, maybe even in a library shared with the Windows version. That's the beauty of Objective C, it is just a runtime added to C, and you don't have to use the runtime in all parts of your program.

I will be taking a good long look at this when it comes out.

With the next version of Adobe CS being Intel-only, I wonder if MS will follow suit.
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffylump View Post

Please no!

I say that they should keep on their current path, fine tune these great apps, keep improving background linking/synchronisation/connectivity. It's a winning formula for me at least. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are more than adequate.

fluffy

I like it when in my Palm Desktop I can LINK Contacts to Notes/Memos + Appointments, To Do's etc. Same can be done in Entourage 2004.

In any case, all that LINKING doesn't transfer to my Palm Treo 700p, never mind iPhone, which doesn't even sync with Notes/Memos!

If Apple's apps: Addresses, iCal, and other "modules" were to have same kind of "linking/synchronisation" that transferred itself to iPhone, now THAT would be IDEAL!

As to Separate Apple Apps vs. All In One - it reminds me of Time Machine and SuperDuper seeing that LARGE Entourage Database of mine (5GB?+) as ONE FILE! Thus it gets duplicated ENTIRELY, instead of just whatever changed in the Individual Module!

So, as long as it all WORKS FAST: "linking/synchronisation", and gets tansferred to iPhone, preserving all the LINKS -- that would be the best of all worlds..., assuming quick searches in Spotlight are possible on Macs and iPhones!

Switching to iWork is a bit scary, given how many documents I've created in Word! Also, how easily can I share iWork docs with the Windows Word Universe? Would I have to save them in 2 formats? And if 2 Formats, when I make a change in Mac file, does it's Windows "mirror file" gets updated automatically, or would I have to do another Save As to overwrite that Windows "mirror file"?

I hope Apple and MSFT monitors this and other Forums where they can pick up lots of feedback from a lot of smart folks that post here!

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

post #68 of 81
I was thinking on the model and pricing from Microsoft, if anyone have any insight or info to shared would be good.

Office for Mac are marked up MUCH higher then their PC counterpart. But Office on PC can get away with large volume. Where Mac is much smaller volume.

As i am not aware of any Multi Liscense Discount, or any other major disocunt on Office for Mac. Then every copy sold for Mac would be worth 10 - 20 times more then averge selling price of Office for Mac.

Consider M$ sold 100 Million of Office 2007, and 5 million copies of Office 2008 for Mac. The Actual revenue from both would be 10 - 5. Of coz in actual world the different should be something like 10 - 3.

But considering the amount of resources M$ put in, Office for Mac is actually a cash cow for them.

I hope we will get an big upgrade from iWork soon.........
post #69 of 81
I just finally figured out how to do MuliQuotes here on this forum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Switching to iWork is a bit scary, given how many documents I've created in Word! Also, how easily can I share iWork docs with the Windows Word Universe? Would I have to save them in 2 formats? And if 2 Formats, when I make a change in Mac file, does it's Windows "mirror file" gets updated automatically, or would I have to do another Save As to overwrite that Windows "mirror file"?

Any feedback on that: iWork working well with the Windows Word Universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

With the next version of Adobe CS being Intel-only, I wonder if MS will follow suit.

Oy!!!!!!!!!!!! Another "Decisions!" Fork in the road... -- When + How to upgrade? Example:

When I buy MBP 17 with SL on it, should I Upgrade my present PB G4, 1.67, 2GB RAM, 10.4.11 to Leopard? I still have that Leopard/iWork Family Pack UNOPENED! So I could swap it to SL's Version of the same Pack, but SL won't Run on my PB G4... Some folks think that I should stay with 10.4.11 on my PB G4, cause it's "native"!!! I just would like to keep both of my laptops "close" in terms of OS's -- networking, file sharing! I know that my present PB G4, even with Leopard 10.5.8 on it, can't be a "mirror", interchangeable system! But, if God Forbid, I ever need to send my MBP 17 to Apple Care, I still don't want my life to stop!

Any thoughts on any of that?

TIA to all for your help!!!

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

LOFL, Macs could never run Access. Its 1997 technology is far too powerful... too advanced for Macintoshes. The Mac users' delicate brains might just burst if Office for the Mac became... truly... Office for the Mac. It is unthinkable, and furthermore, wrong to bring up these topics.
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I hope we will get an big upgrade from iWork soon.........

Exactly, if Apple can build Logic Studio 9 or FCP, it can build a Word and Excel substitute.... no I don't mean today's randy excuse for a joke called iWork.
post #72 of 81
NeoOffice is OK IF you do not have to share Word documents that have any amount of formatting you want preserved.

I am not a Microsoft fan, but I enjoy Word 2008. In my view, Microsoft's biggest mistake on the Mac is breaking feature parity by removing things like Macros support (supposedly this is coming back). Mac people largely use Office for compatibility with Windows versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

NeoOffice is a donationware open source program with multiple features. Take a lookie, it's nice.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

They could really use some donations due to the state of the economy, so if you download it, send them a few bucks.

There is also the free and very powerful Text Wrangler from Bare Bones Software.

http://www.barebones.com/products/Te...ler/index.html

Makes editing hidden and system files a breeze.
post #73 of 81
Hopefully this will spur Apple to fix the most basic of issues with their "Address Book" - i.e. the ability to see more than just the contact name on the main list page.

In Entourage and Outlook, when the address book is opened, you get multiple columns showing lots of info for your contacts like Name, Company, State, Phone #, etc.

Whereas in Apple's Address Book all you get is the contact's name, unless you open a contact to get the rest of the info.

I have numerous contacts at different companies, if I can't remember the person's last name but I know the company that they work at, (in Entourage or Outlook) I can just scroll through all the contacts at that company to see if one jogs my memory.

Additionally, why can't the contacts in the iPhone show two columns of info (like name and company) when the iPhone is rotated into landscape position?
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Switching to iWork is a bit scary, given how many documents I've created in Word! Also, how easily can I share iWork docs with the Windows Word Universe? Would I have to save them in 2 formats? And if 2 Formats, when I make a change in Mac file, does it's Windows "mirror file" gets updated automatically, or would I have to do another Save As to overwrite that Windows "mirror file"

Depends what you want to do when you say 'share' documents. Most people forget that you don't need Word to send someone some information, it can just as usefully be sent as a pdf. They seem to overlook the create/publish concept (.doc/.pdf). I don't have kids so I don't know how acceptable this would be for handing in school assignments - for example - but it seems it would be silly if you couldn't take this path.

Of course if you are talking about collaborating with others to produce a document then that's a different story and I am not the best person to comment.

I still have an copy of Office 2004 on my Macs but I won't be upgrading. I can do everything I need to do for home use with iWork. To be honest I am convinced I could start up and run a small business without Office.

Regards

fluffy
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sukalewski View Post

I have numerous contacts at different companies, if I can't remember the person's last name but I know the company that they work at, (in Entourage or Outlook) I can just scroll through all the contacts at that company to see if one jogs my memory.

Hi Phil - try making a smart group with Company Contains 'Company Name' or searching using the company name. I find it instantaneous.

Regards

fluffy
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Exactly, if Apple can build Logic Studio 9 or FCP, it can build a Word and Excel substitute.... no I don't mean today's randy excuse for a joke called iWork.

Exactly. From my limited experience with iWork, Pages is 10 times easier to layout and make good documents. While Word is ultra annoying.
Numbers are easy to use as well, but it is slow, and lacking many Maths functions.

Do i even need to mention Keynotes Vs Powerpoint......
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

1000% agree. I hate using outlook at work everyday, unless these are the same only in name outlook for mac can't be good.

This is interesting... Outlook is one of the reasons I have not moved to Apple, although we have 4 apple machines in the house. Initially my work demanded I use exchange (work PC) and I wanted the ability to keep Outlook databases on my home machine, I went as far as loading a virtual client on my MBA and using outlook when out of the country (can't use MBA, it runs too hot and fan comes on with any strenuous task !!!). I find Office 2008 for Mac is a joke compared to Office 2003 (which I still use). On the negative side I truly hate Vista from the bottom of my heart, such a piece of tosh - can not believe its takes 3 times as long to copy files from a NAS drive using Vista than OS X.
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I doubt it, but I think what they are trying to do is, if you swap to Mac, we can still provide the software that you know and understand. This is mostly for IT support/managers, who only know the windows environment and get a panic attack, when you speak about OSX, because they are native to it.

Soul

This is what I am doing...since I work abroad they have not seen me yet....

The issue is that this Entourage EWS is not really working for me also..a lot of problems.

I wait for Snow Leopard
post #79 of 81
Why do people think that ActiveSync in Snow Leopard is going to provide all the Exchange functionality of Windows Outlook? Especially when the iPhone with ActiveSync "support" still can't sync notes and tasks.
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Why do people think that ActiveSync in Snow Leopard is going to provide all the Exchange functionality of Windows Outlook? Especially when the iPhone with ActiveSync "support" still can't sync notes and tasks.

You are right. But for me is sufficient to read the email.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft says Office 2010, Outlook for Mac coming next year