or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's annual music media event rumored for early September
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's annual music media event rumored for early September

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Citing "multiple music industry sources," MediaMemo reports that Apple is planning an iPod-centric keynote event for the week of Sept. 7, consistent with the timing of previous years' events.

Apple typically holds music and iPod related events to make new announcements every September. Last year, the "Let's Rock" event was held Sept. 9, while the 2007 "The Beat Goes On" keynote was Sept. 5, and the 2006 "It's Showtime" event was held Sept. 12. Apple has not yet confirmed the date of its keynote this year.

The MediaMemo report speculates that Apple's rumored "Cocktail" album concept could play a part at the event.

"Given that Apple has tipped off music industry executives, it’s a fair bet that the event will incorporate music in some way," the report states. "Perhaps it will show off the new "Cocktail" format that Apple has been working on, which bundles full-length albums with other goodies like album covers and interactive bells and whistles."

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event. Sources say that the device will not launch until early 2010.

This year, rumors indicate new iPod touch and iPod nano models with cameras. In July, numerous photos of third-party cases for the iPod touch and iPod nano featuring camera holes bolstered those ongoing rumors.

There have also been reports of the release of iTunes 9, possibly with support for Blu-ray discs and social media integration. Apple has also reportedly been working on a video on demand service for iTunes.

At lest year's event, Apple unveiled iTunes 8 with the new Genius feature, debuted the fourth-generation iPod nano, introduced a reworked iPod touch with hardware volume controls and built-in Nike + iPod support, and refreshed the iPod classic with a 120GB model.
post #2 of 44
All I'm waiting for is a new version of iTunes.

My iPhone is my iPod now...
post #3 of 44
I could have told you the date a year ago. Apple doesn't really make it hard to figure out that they have a pattern going.
post #4 of 44
The new iPod event is always, without fail, the second Tuesday in September. I've had September 8th marked on my calendar for months now
post #5 of 44
yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.
post #6 of 44
Here's the obligatory maybe-they'll-finally-release-the-Beatles-on-itunes speculative post. Especially with Cocktail, then EMI might be more willing to release the albums.

I have similar posts prewritten for the next 5 years.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. ...

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #8 of 44
It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.




No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?

Don't kid yourself, there will be disappointment if a tablet isn't announced. Apples product announcements are not judged by what they announce (unless they announce something revolutionary) but by what they didn't announce. Unless Apple announces the device that ends the needs for any other device, there will be disapointment. Apple is expected to release a revolutionary product every time they have one of these events. Even a tablet announcement will probably be met with initial disapointment because it didn't do what people expected it to (which is everything plus things we haven't even thought of doing yet). Peoples expectations of Apple are unreasonable, it usually takes a couple days after a product announcement/refresh for cooler heads to prevail.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.




No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.

It is largely speculated that the tablet would run iPhoneOS which makes it an iDevice, all of which stem from the iPod. A tablet in this sense could be considered an expansion of the iPod line.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.




No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.

Everyone know jobs want the universe to use mobile me. Thus the cameras. I wonder when the $30 Dara fee 3g devices will appear. Reason no voip apps, of course, that can be hacked.

I just renewed, about half price using old code. Not sure I will reknew if it was $99. Thars a lot also, changes I make eg in iCal font appear online and vice versatile. Any suggestions?
Thanks. Hope to see mm drop in price someday.
post #12 of 44
Can't believe no one has mentioned that the Beatles will go digital on 09/09/09! If Apple Corps and Apple are ever going to get together that is the date it will all happen...
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalo995 View Post

yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.

the only thing going for the Zune HD atm is price, but it isn't even out yet, and we all know the iPod touch will get more storage for less and the iPod touch can already do more

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #14 of 44
There will be no tablet announcements at this event. It's a music event, music-centric PR as it always is every year.

The tablet will come later in the year.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Can't believe no one has mentioned that the Beatles will go digital on 09/09/09! If Apple Corps and Apple are ever going to get together that is the date it will all happen...

"....number 9, ...number 9, ...number 9, ...the twist, the watusi...."

post #16 of 44
I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.
post #17 of 44
I am always amazed at how few leaks there are. I know that Apple is famous for keeping things buttoned up, but with all the third party accessories being designed, mocked up, fabricated, tested, package and ad-designed months in advance. And with lots of that work being outsourced. It's amazing that there aren't more leaks.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.

How do you figure? People have to be back at work on Tuesday, and if not, well, the Apple event is one more reason to take a 4-day extended weekend (for the Apple faithful, anyway). Win-win all around if you ask me.

People are going to find out what happens regardless.
post #19 of 44
As usual the event will transpire after the "get a free iPod" with purchase of a Mac deal ends (after 9/8). Music announcements have followed this pattern for several years. They wouldn't risk doing it on Sep. 8th since the promotion is still available.
post #20 of 44
I find this whole, will they release the "iPad" in September or will they release it in early '10 kind of stupid already. Here's what we know. 1) It's coming. 2) They've shot a commercial for a "secret new product," so it's coming soon.

So here's how I think it's going to shake out. Either it will be full-on released alongside everything else in Sept., OR It will be *announced* in Sept, available for pre-order, and released in Jan '10, (which of course, the way Apple does things, will be like, the last *day* of January, so at least it still qualifies as "January.")

AI keeps implying that because *their* sources say it won't come out until 1st quarter 2010, any kind of tablet announcement in September is unlikely. Even if they're right about the release timeframe, the "one more thing" can still happen in September. They announced the iPhone SIX months ahead of it's release, they can certainly go a similar route here.

Why would they? Same reason they probably did it for the iPhone. Because at a certain point, when the rumor mill gets this furious with speculation and anticipation, if nothing shows up, everyone winds up disappointed. And the last thing Apple wants is to hold a big event, and then have all the news/rumor sites just walk away going, "yeah, but no tablet." It takes away from the positive impact of the event.

Peace out.
post #21 of 44
Yes traditionally Apple has used the second Tuesday of September for the iPod announcements.

I for one am not expecting the tablet on this day (but would not be surprised if it appeared or was announced).

We know that September has always been the iPod event, however, it may migrate into something more total for Apple!

Apple will not be part of MacWorld as Steve has pointed out in the past that its not the ideal time to deliver new ready to ship products (January).

Hence, we will see new iPods, a new iTunes with social networking features (akin to Doubletwist), and possibly support for BlueRay. We WILL also see the final and available now Snow Leopard which will add support for BlueRay to all Mac desktop's and laptop's if indeed BlueRay is coming! It is not a huge exception therefore to hear also that iMac's, etc... are now shipping with BlueRay drives....

OOOOHHH I almost forgot one last thing! - the return of Steve to the spotlight so expect this event to be pack some major punch! (not necessarily a tablet)

The September event might be about to morph into a Major Apple event to position it for the holiday season....

I add this is all pure speculation on my part, but given the rumors, the orders that Apple have been placing and Apple pulling out of MacWorld, all this is possible.

Grab the popcorn!!!
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodTouchGuy View Post

The new iPod event is always, without fail, the second Tuesday in September. I've had September 8th marked on my calendar for months now

Yes but this year the 7th is Labor day, ans Apple usually likes their events on the second working day of the week. So my guess would be Wednesday 9th.

As others have mentioned this happily coincides with the Beatles going digital release on 9/9/09.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

They announced the iPhone SIX months ahead of it's release....

Why would they?
Peace out.

The reason it was announced six months early was because they had to submit it to regulators for approval given that it was a new communication device for mobile networks. They didn't want a third party announcing it via the submission documents which are made public as a matter of course. If you recall this happened in March....

As for your point about a commercial, there is something in it but not necessarily a tablet. Could be an add for new "rumored" social networking feature in iTunes and iPod camera integration....
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am always amazed at how few leaks there are. I know that Apple is famous for keeping things buttoned up, but with all the third party accessories being designed, mocked up, fabricated, tested, package and ad-designed months in advance. And with lots of that work being outsourced. It's amazing that there aren't more leaks.

Yea, I'm surprised there haven't been any blurry photos of fake iTablet boxes in elevators.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.




No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.

if you've been following the iTablet rumors lately...they've been stating that this rumored tablet will be no better than a large-format iPod Touch, with advanced multi-tasking and processing power. That's it. So if they announce it in September, it would fit into the iPod category, since September is usually the month for that stuff. Computers and other hardware seem to be announced at Macworld in January.
post #26 of 44
I never understood the logic of announcing/releasing a new product on January, right after the biggest shopping season of the year.

Then again maybe that's why Steve J. sits on his desk and I sit on mine.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbrake View Post

The reason it was announced six months early was because they had to submit it to regulators for approval given that it was a new communication device for mobile networks. They didn't want a third party announcing it via the submission documents which are made public as a matter of course. If you recall this happened in March....

As for your point about a commercial, there is something in it but not necessarily a tablet. Could be an add for new "rumored" social networking feature in iTunes and iPod camera integration....

I agree, this commercial could be for anything. If you examine Apple's past commercials. The iPod commercials and the iPhone Commercials. They usually focus solely on the product, maybe a hand model or a silhouette or two. This new commercial that was filmed in Texas was rumored to have a LOT of people (especially kids and young adults) in it. That would lead me to believe it's for some other new product. My guess would be this new social networking feature since the kids love the "face place" and they like to "twaut". It could also be fore Snow Lep., or for a new updated iPods or Touch, or just about anything releated, even Cocktail.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalo995 View Post

yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.

To do that they just have to show up on Sept 8!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I never understood the logic of announcing/releasing a new product on January, right after the biggest shopping season of the year.

Then again maybe that's why Steve J. sits on his desk and I sit on mine.

I think the very fact that you are sitting on your desk ...
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I agree, this commercial could be for anything. If you examine Apple's past commercials. The iPod commercials and the iPhone Commercials. They usually focus solely on the product, maybe a hand model or a silhouette or two. This new commercial that was filmed in Texas was rumored to have a LOT of people (especially kids and young adults) in it. That would lead me to believe it's for some other new product. My guess would be this new social networking feature since the kids love the "face place" and they like to "twaut". It could also be fore Snow Lep., or for a new updated iPods or Touch, or just about anything releated, even Cocktail.

I know I'm splitting hairs here but, "the kids" aren't the big users of facebook or twitter. The latest reports are a surprise given that the youth audience is the majority user of the internet in general. However, both facebook and twitter have a larger share of users +25. It would seem "old people" like to assuage their closet Twittering and "Facebooking" by perpetuating the "kids love the twitter" myth.

To get back on topic, that's why we would see Social Networking integrated into Itunes; because it's a universal feature that's not just tied to one age bracket. If it were a feature only 14 yr old kids were into, I don't think Apple would care.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #31 of 44
Hi,

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Apple will announce an iTunes subscription service. It's the future.

Spotify (www.spotify.com) is enjoying tremendous success in the handful of European countries where it's available. In Sweden, the major labels now get more revenue from Spotify than iTunes.

Best,

Daniel

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply
post #32 of 44
Cocktail - a mix of music and social networking where users using iTunes interact to discuss an artists latest release, while at the some time building online relationship with other users having similar interests in music.

The commercial recently shot in Texas is about interaction with passers by (social networking), in a diner where music jukeboxes are common place!!!!
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I know I'm splitting hairs here but, "the kids" aren't the big users of facebook or twitter. The latest reports are a surprise given that the youth audience is the majority user of the internet in general. However, both facebook and twitter have a larger share of users +25. It would seem "old people" like to assuage their closet Twittering and "Facebooking" by perpetuating the "kids love the twitter" myth.

To get back on topic, that's why we would see Social Networking integrated into Itunes; because it's a universal feature that's not just tied to one age bracket. If it were a feature only 14 yr old kids were into, I don't think Apple would care.

you obviously couldn't see my sad attempt to be funny, with the intentional mis-wordings of Facebook and Twitter, the second of which was paraphrased by Steven Colbert.

Must have hit a nerve with you, sorry. Go roll up another one, Mr. Spliff, and chill.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.

There is nothing wrong with Apple holding the event the day after Labor Day. As a matter of fact, I believe that's what they've done the previous few years.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Here's the obligatory maybe-they'll-finally-release-the-Beatles-on-itunes speculative post. Especially with Cocktail, then EMI might be more willing to release the albums.

I have similar posts prewritten for the next 5 years.

You know that all the Beatles music has finally been remastered, and it will be available on CD on September 9th. That's what I'm waiting for.

I think the remastering has been one of the hold-ups in getting the music to iTunes, but the bigger delay is undoubtedly the dispute between EMI and the Beatles over what royalties the Beatles will be paid for online sales. I don't know that they've solved that problem, but if they have it wouldn't be surprising to see the music available at the same time (or shortly after) on iTunes.

I'd still suggest going with the CDs, though - most of them (the single CDs) are $12.99 on Amazon. The remastering should be amazing.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Go roll up another one, Mr. Spliff, and chill.

I think you meant "Mr. Monkey."
post #37 of 44
I only own one Apple product - 3GS. It is good they will (allegedly & hopefully) make an iPod touch with a camera. If so, it would be very smart give it at least 5mp and not the 3.2mp like the iPhone. AND make it record video... that will definitely compete with "real" digital cameras and on a lower extent the FlipHD. But until the touch goes HD, it can't be a strong FlipHD competitor, maybe next year for the touch. Add 5mp cam & video, why would a low-end user buy a "real" digital cam for every day use, the touch will give you so much.

I look forward to the new OS, maybe next year I can save my $ to buy one of next years new MBP's (I like Mac, but so expensive, must save first). Have one at work and like it a lot.

:later.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?

He's right.

The tablet in September makes no sense. There aren't enough substantial rumors about the actual device yet (LCD flat panel and other component deliveries, combo 3G/4G networking chips, availability of 4G networks, fuzzy snapshots of housings/third-party cases, alleged screenshots, etc.).

Frankly, Apple needs to ship the new iPod touch, ship Snow Leopard, and possibly finalize work on a new OS for mid-range devices: the alleged tablet, it could be a full rewrite of the Apple TV OS (which is based on 10.4 Tiger and getting long in tooth). The iTunes Store would need to be revamped for tablet apps, QuickTime streaming over HTTP would need to be very robust, etc.

For all these reasons, it makes far more sense that a tablet would debut early next year, not in a few weeks.

The other scenario I could imagine Apple doing is a "sneak preview" of the tablet if FCC filings would result in disclosure of the product's existence before it's ready to ship (Apple did this with the first iPhone), but it still wouldn't ship until earlier next year.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohnsonfactor View Post

They wouldn't risk doing it on Sep. 8th since the promotion is still available.

Since it is only August 13th, how do you know, "the promotion is still available", (present tense) in 3 1/2 weeks?
And Apple did continue the Back-To-School promotion for the free iPod mini when they introduced the iPod nano 4 years ago.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I think you meant "Mr. Monkey."

What, Ballmer's in here?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's annual music media event rumored for early September