or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 3GS has 99 percent satisfaction rate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 3GS has 99 percent satisfaction rate

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Customers who flocked to Apple's latest iPhone upgrade were overwhelmingly satisfied with their purchase, but AT&T's network didn't fare nearly as well, a new survey shows.

A total of 99 percent of 200 respondents to a RBC/IQ ChangeWave survey in August said they are satisfied with their iPhone 3GS, with 82 percent of those "Very Satisfied." That's an improvement from the already-stellar statistics on the last two iterations of the iPhone, of which 73 percent of customers gave a superior ranking. Similarly, 94 percent of iPhone 3GS buyers said the product met or exceeded their expectations.

But the iPhone's U.S. carrier, AT&T, was seen as the product's biggest pitfall. When iPhone 3GS owners were asked to rank what they dislike about the product, 55 percent chose the AT&T network. That was followed by the 41 percent who felt the device's battery life is too short, and 8 percent who said their company's IT department doesn't support the product.

The data was released Friday as part of a new report from RBC Capital Markets. Citing customer satisfaction, analyst Mike Abramsky reiterates the company's "outperform" rating for AAPL stock, and maintains a price target of $190.

As for the phone's most-liked features, the touchscreen interface took top honors with 45 percent, followed by ease of use and faster Web browsing. It's likely most who bought the iPhone 3GS knew exactly what they were getting: 41 percent of respondents were migrating from an older version of the product. Switchers from other devices mostly came from Motorola (18 percent), followed in order by Nokia (11 percent), RIM (9 percent), Sanyo (8 percent), and Palm (6 percent).

"iPhone 3GS owners are a highly satisfied group, strongly loyal to Apple, and that Apple innovation (touchscreen, software UI, applications) is what continues to lure new buyers to its smartphones," the report reads. "The benefits to Apple for achieving this premium customer satisfaction include: strong pricing power, high customer lifetime value, powerful, inexpensive viral marketing (recommend to others), increased carrier channel leverage, indirect benefits to Apple's other businesses (e.g. Macs)."



The study demonstrates that Apple customers are just as satisfied, if not moreso, with the iPhone as they are with the company's other offerings, such as the Mac. When compared with other companies in surveys, the Cupertino, Calif. company consistently outperforms its competitors in customer satisfaction and service.



post #2 of 44
I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.
post #3 of 44
If it's true, it comes as little surprise.

If it isn't true, it's quite believable.
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.


When you see the breakdown it makes a lot more since, and they did only ask 200 people.


Everyone I know who has an iphone, loves it.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If it's true, it comes as little surprise.

"If"?
I read it on the internet so it HAS to be true! Really!
post #6 of 44
Who is that one percent ???
and where do they live ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #7 of 44
I guess the survey didn't include any of the people who are suing Apple and AT&T over the MMS?

Just thought this warm and fuzzy article was funny after reading the negative one that just preceded it.
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I guess the survey didn't include any of the people who are suing Apple and AT&T over the MMS?

Just thought this warm and fuzzy article was funny after reading the negative one that just preceded it.


well 110 of them did say they hate AT&T
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Who is that one percent ???
and where do they live ??

Probably the ones that use Google Voice.
post #10 of 44
AT&T's crappy network hasn't changed one bit since the iPhone 3G came out. What were these people expecting?

Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.

I personally love my iPhone 3G. As a PDA, it's great. As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.
It's drk_one for a reason...
Reply
It's drk_one for a reason...
Reply
post #11 of 44
It would be 100% if it wasn't for AT&T.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.


Correct. However in Houston, ATT"s network has improved very well. Still spotty 3G from time to time, but it has improved. I can only imagine when they drop to the 850Mhz spectrum.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.


I would venture to guess that alot of the people who own the iPhone never owned another phone that used the 3G service. My guess is based on all the people that were complaining about the cost of the plan.

I can't complain about my ATT 3G experience, I live in an area where I get booming signal 90% of the time so it's worked really well for me. From watching someone with a 3GS phone, I would say the speed is because of the phones mips not the network, in my case.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Customers who flocked to Apple's latest iPhone upgrade were overwhelmingly satisfied with their purchase, but AT&T's network didn't fare nearly as well, a new survey shows.

Same story here in the UK. Everyone loves their iPhone but hates O2's network. Browsing the web on an iPhone in London is pretty much impossible because O2 don't have anywhere near enough network capacity. They're the only network I've ever used in the UK to have total network outages.

I can't wait for a competent carrier to get it.
post #15 of 44
This company is unlike any other. Who the frack has a 99% approval rating? Apple—that's who. HP doesn't get it. MS doesn't get it and they never will. Apple innovates whilst everyone else imitates. Remember the people who got their panties all wadded because Apple didn't have a replaceable battery in the iPhone? No one considered that Apple wouldn't incorporate a crap-ass battery that would ever NEED to be replaced. Planned obsolescence is not in their vocabulary. Got some extra cash lying around? AAPL: Buy. Buy. Buy.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Correct. However in Houston, ATT"s network has improved very well. Still spotty 3G from time to time, but it has improved. I can only imagine when they drop to the 850Mhz spectrum.


How much longer does Apple's Ties to AT&T last ? it would make sense to me unless they pick up the slack they will loose a lot of the gains they have made sooner or later. Apple will not stand for those type of numbers for long.

Just thinking out loud. If these numbers are even 75% true. What is MS Thinking (or do they even think) coming up with a competing product and branching into areas of related services with the likes of Nokia. Given their track record of the mighty iPod Killer "THE ZUNE" and other related efforts. Better known as The ZZZZZ nothing.
post #17 of 44
I believe the survey. It does not mean that 99% of iP owners believe it has not problems or areas in which it could improve. It means that everyone is generally satisfied with the device. Unlike what some bloggers and podcasters would have you believe, it is hard to find people who are ready to give up their iP for something else. Just because a marriage has a few problems does not mean that you are not satisfied with your marriage. The same is true for the iP.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #18 of 44
At WWDC and Apple's website, they say its 3.0, but on the chart they say its 3.2. Am I missing something?
post #19 of 44
The only reason my wife and I have the Pre is because we couldn't take AT&T's pricing, lack of signal in our area or extra fees for everything.

If the iPhone were on verizon or Sprint (I get signal from both) I would have got the iphone... sigh.
You win, I've switched sides.
Reply
You win, I've switched sides.
Reply
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.

the survey was taken in an apple store. if you complain about anything apple in there they take you out back and shoot you
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

AT&T's crappy network hasn't changed one bit since the iPhone 3G came out. What were these people expecting?

Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.

I personally love my iPhone 3G. As a PDA, it's great. As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.

You're wrong. Lots of hype about AT&T upgrading their network for 7.2Mbps:
http://gizmodo.com/5295789/giz-expla...k-really-means

In the end, AT&T fails again. It's almost embarassing, how badly run they are. I can't wait to be able to buy an iPhone that's supported on other networks, not because they're better (try complaining to Verizon about obscure fees) but because it will force AT&T to get better or suffer.
post #22 of 44
i don't know where everyone else lives, but in central connecticut i have 5 bars 90% of the time and never less than three. 3G is always available and always speedy. when i travel to northern vermont i still have 3g far off of I-91. coastal maine, same thing.

if you're complaining about the price, remember that you get what you pay for.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the survey was taken in an apple store. if you complain about anything apple in there they take you out back and shoot you

Hahahahahahaha. I guess it really boils down to area. I hear horror stories of T-Mobile in certain parts of Florida, but in other areas like The Texas Valley, they are great. Same for Verizon or Sprint......just pick your poison.
post #24 of 44
What? LOL ability to import contacts. Means people are lazy to enter in their contacts or just dumb enough not to know how to import them from any phone to a computer. Aggg...cheeezz
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #25 of 44
maybe Apple can use that 31 Billion to buy a music publisher, movie studio or a cell carrier and cut out the weak link.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

AT&T's crappy network hasn't changed one bit since the iPhone 3G came out. What were these people expecting?

I've seen a significant improvement in 3G coverage in the north east in the last year. I can't even remember the last time I got knocked back to EDGE. Pretty reliability getting 1.5-2Mbit/sec. Definitely beats Sprint & T-Mobile in these parts. The uneven coverage of all wireless carriers in the US is a major argument for wireless choice. Apple is definitely hurting customers by limiting choice of wireless carriers in the US.
post #27 of 44
How long will Apple let AT&T weigh the iPhone down? The only thing Apple I DON'T own is an iPhone, although I had one for 12 hours and had to return it due to a total lack of service. What should I expect, I only live in the Phoenix metro area with 6 million other people....why would AT&T want coverage in a small town like that? \
post #28 of 44
ive had the 3Gs since launch day, im not exactly what you would call satisfied.

first, where are the features!?

there are zero apps that i have seen that require the 3Gs, when i was originally looking at it i kept hearing on apple sites the ideas of what the digital compass would make room for, so far, nothing. not even a game.

next, picture messaging, for christs sake, have we not waited long enough?

should i hit the old bag again? where is tomtom with its non-subscription based turn by turn GPS?!

also is it normal to have more lag with a 3Gs than i did with a 3G? when i tilt screen it takes a full second to switch to landscape mode, either in websites or txt messaging. its also bad with safari, there is serious lag when im switching between "tabs" when im using safari, something else i dont remember noticing when i had my 3G just 6 months ago.l

it all adds up to me wondering how happy i might be with a blackberry storm 2 or a palm pre.

but if what im experiencing is not normal than maybe i just need to get a replacement.

also, im getting damage on the damn thing already! thats really pissing me off, the gloss finish is scratching off, which is making it so the white is staining a dirty tint. i have a cover on it 24/7. the pocket lint is causing this much damage, its ridiculous. this has just made me relize how unsatisfied with the phone i am... too bad im stuck with it for the next few years... yay...

this is the reason my girlfriend is getting the new Zune...
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

ive had the 3Gs since launch day, im not exactly what you would call satisfied.

first, where are the features!?

there are zero apps that i have seen that require the 3Gs, when i was originally looking at it i kept hearing on apple sites the ideas of what the digital compass would make room for, so far, nothing. not even a game.

next, picture messaging, for christs sake, have we not waited long enough?

should i hit the old bag again? where is tomtom with its non-subscription based turn by turn GPS?!

also is it normal to have more lag with a 3Gs than i did with a 3G? when i tilt screen it takes a full second to switch to landscape mode, either in websites or txt messaging. its also bad with safari, there is serious lag when im switching between "tabs" when im using safari, something else i dont remember noticing when i had my 3G just 6 months ago.l

it all adds up to me wondering how happy i might be with a blackberry storm 2 or a palm pre.

but if what im experiencing is not normal than maybe i just need to get a replacement.

also, im getting damage on the damn thing already! thats really pissing me off, the gloss finish is off, which is making it so the white is staining a dirty tint. i have a cover on it 24/7. the pocket lint is causing this much damage, its ridiculous. this has just made me relize how unsatisfied with the phone i am... too bad im stuck with it for the next few years... yay...

this is the reason my girlfriend is getting the new Zune...


Lint is scratching your iphone ? Are you wearing metal pants ?? I know talc can be pretty rough too


You have a girl friend and an iphone ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #30 of 44
OH yes,. And by the way...
This RBC/IQ survey is undertaken by RBC Capital Markets an international corporate and investment bank. Which kind of bankers got us into this current financial disaster?

200 respondents is not even close to being a valid sample. How did they pick these estatic souls and were they savvy phone users or newbees. How long have they had their phone? Have they tried or had other newer phones demoed to them? Where they given the phones gratis? Need I mentioned that this “survey company” is in it to make money. What questions were asked. This is pure PR Applesauce rubish.

In Japan, carriers have to give iPhones away. That's the only way their customers will accept them. There are better phones in the rest of the world that the people in the far East can use. They don't need the lousy iPhone. The reason we don't see many of those great phones is because our networks, for the most part suck. From all indications, they will widely implement WiMax/4G before we do. VOIP is widely used, and they still have a local branded network to use as needed. And since its not an iPhone, your web browser doesn't crash, google maps doesn't shut itself off in the middle a search, flash is supported, earbuds don't fall apart, your screen doesn't develope black lines, it doesn't burn up, or worse and you can actually hear someone on your phone, in a crowded room.

Fortunately, with a bit of looking, you can find some of these 3g/4g/flash capable phones so you don't have to put yourself in the position of signing up for another iPhone every time Apple says new! New and Improved what? Oh, you finally caught up with what the rest of the world is doing? Almost, comes back the reply from Appleland.

It would be helpful if Mr. Hughes could tell us who these organizations are and what business they are in at the beginning of the article.
post #31 of 44
I was rather surprised to see this survey here. I mean 200 people is nothing, not to mention that this was done with reasons to lure new investors with limited/incomplete info – where's the report of the French teen that got hurt by an exploding iPod/iPhone?

"MARSEILLE, France (AFP) -

A French teenager suffered an eye injury when his girlfriend's iPhone shattered, a few weeks after a similar incident involving an iPod in Britain, his mother said Wednesday.

The phone began making a hissing noise and the screen suddenly broke, sending pieces flying in the air, said Marie-Dominique Kolega who contacted Apple over the incident.

"My son was frightened but he did not lose an eye," Kolega told AFP.

The incident in Aix-en-Provence in southern France occurred a few weeks after a brouhaha in Britain over an exploding iPod owned by an 11-year-old girl.

Apple allegedly offered a refund for the girl's iPod on condition that the family sign a confidentiality agreement
."
post #32 of 44
In the UK I would guess that O2 is probably the most disliked component, while they probably are not as bad as AT&T, the carrier aspect of the iPhone is the most uninnovative bit. I have no love for the operators. Apple could really do something insanely great here and change the way we pay for our calls (and solve the extortionate roaming prices).

The battery live is a pain too, I can run my 3GS flat in less than a working day (with 1 hour commute each way)
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I can't wait for a competent carrier to get it.

Like who? they are all as bad as each other.
post #34 of 44
I believe the iPhone is the best product made by Apple and looking at the satisfaction rating, it has really reassured me that Apple is the way to go ever since I switched from WM 3 years ago.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

In the UK I would guess that O2 is probably the most disliked component, while they probably are not as bad as AT&T, the carrier aspect of the iPhone is the most uninnovative bit. I have no love for the operators. Apple could really do something insanely great here and change the way we pay for our calls (and solve the extortionate roaming prices).

The battery live is a pain too, I can run my 3GS flat in less than a working day (with 1 hour commute each way)

You should get a car iPhone charger. That's two extra hours of battery life in your day. That said, I don't know about the wisdom of cellphone use while driving.....
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

Like who? they are all as bad as each other.

All have their own pros and cons IMO.
post #37 of 44
As many of you know, I bought my 3GS July 3rd and am 100% satisfied with it. Almost every day I find something new about it that adds to its performance. I just picked up the latest MacWorld and am reading their whole issue devoted to it. Its interesting that the 3GS has received 4 1/2 mice versus the first two generation iPhones which received 4 mice and that was when the iPhone was breathtakingly new! This version of the iPhone is the real deal and is the version where it has really come into its own.
Now if we could only get that AT&T problem solved. I hope AT&T gets hit hard with this MMS pics lawsuit. Apple may have to sue them for this perhaps as well.
post #38 of 44
This (3GS) is a incredible phone and really makes me wonder why I never jumped on the IPhone bandwagon quicker. I guess all those apple / iPhone haters really spread their nonsense far and wide because much of the nonsense supposedly wrong with the iPhone is actually the cplete opposite. iPhone is really great so I would have to go with the very satisfied group as well. As for ATT issues I say try garbage like Tmobile then see what you think about ATT. Honestly the only issue with ATT was a dropped called here and there but no where near as bad as the horrible service from Tmobile in manhattan NYC. also the tech support was way better with ATT compared to T mobile as well.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplics View Post

As for ATT issues I say try garbage like Tmobile then see what you think about ATT. Honestly the only issue with ATT was a dropped called here and there but no where near as bad as the horrible service from Tmobile in manhattan NYC. also the tech support was way better with ATT compared to T mobile as well.

A lot of the outcry against AT&T service comes from tech reporters in San Francisco and other metro areas where AT&T's coverage is really quite poor. Lots of pissed off tech journalists equal bad press.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

A lot of the outcry against AT&T service comes from tech reporters in San Francisco and other metro areas where AT&T's coverage is really quite poor. Lots of pissed off tech journalists equal bad press.

+1. Very true, MacVoyer! Media sometimes = Propaganda!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 3GS has 99 percent satisfaction rate