or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

post #1 of 128
Photos claiming to be shots of the final box art for Apple's upcoming operating system, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, have been posted, suggesting the product could be very close to retail.

The photos, sent to MacRumors, show what is alleged to be the Portuguese packaging and disc art. The art on the disc is consistent with the OS install icon found on the reported Golden Master of the software, Mac OS X 10.6 build 10A432.

The box art includes a white background with a picture of a snow leopard, the same image on the product's disc. The front includes the slogan, in Portuguese, "The world's most advanced operating system. Perfectly optimized." The back of the box boasts 64-bit processor support and compatibility with Microsoft Exchange.

Last week, the alleged Golden Master was seeded to Apple developers. This as sources have given great detail on the Snow Leopard installation process. Some rumors have suggested that the OS could go on sale on Friday, August 28, but AppleInsider has received no evidence to support these reports.

To create Snow Leopard, Apple said its engineers focused on refining 90 percent of the more than 1,000 projects in Mac OS X. Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is priced at $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. Also available are Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard ($499), Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife ($169) and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife ($229).

post #2 of 128
Let the speculating and complaining begin!
post #3 of 128
Very majestic and pristine. I'm sure they want users to feel similarly toward the contents therein.
post #4 of 128
It is more than just the general speed ups that are important. Hopefully this means a stable API for a few years to come. In other words it means developers have a chance to deliver some great software.

Yeah I know about the general whinning that not much has changed interface wise, but I have to ask is that really all that important. Change shouldn't happen for changes sake. Rather change needs to happen when something worthwhile can be offered up. Snow Leopard offers up a base that can make for worthwhile changes in the future.

Backing up a bit, speed is nothing to sneeze at either. I would be very thankful for a faster Safari, Java VM, and other tools I use regularly. I'm holding out hope that my old 2008 MBP can leverage the new tech well. Anyways the new found speed and support of 64 bit addressing ought to open up the software possibilities to things not previously possible.

Dave
post #5 of 128
Thanks for confirming that all the torrent sites have GM also LOL. They were all in doubt until this posting

Not that I know anything about that....Just what I heard.....through the grapevine. That long grapevine outside my window that I tried killing with weedeater but wouldn't go away.
post #6 of 128
reminds me of the o'reilly book covers
post #7 of 128
Nice package.

post #8 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Thanks for confirming that all the torrent sites have GM also LOL. They were all in doubt until this posting

Seriously, you can't afford the $33 total it would cost at most with sales tax? This isn't Adobe trying to foist another $2K CS update on you, its Apple giving you a great price on a highly improved and optimized OS.

As for the box art, it looks like they're going more Appstore style with all of the app/feature icons spread across the back.
post #9 of 128
Just release the thing already.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 128
How come the plastic sleeve for the disc?

Is it the owner being very precautions?
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Seriously, you can't afford the $33 total it would cost at most with sales tax? This isn't Adobe trying to foist another $2K CS update on you, its Apple giving you a great price on a highly improved and optimized OS.

As for the box art, it looks like they're going more Appstore style with all of the app/feature icons spread across the back.

Who said anything about affording it? It's sitting right in front of me on a PUBLIC website. Nothing illegal about watching 1,000 people simultaneously download it at 5mb/sec. LOL [about a 3 hr download].
post #12 of 128
I really like the new look they are going with. Bold snow leopard just looking at you, waiting to be installed. lol.
post #13 of 128
That box is so unApple. It looks more like a MS design
post #14 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbreed View Post

Or every product page on Apple's site.

Anyways. It's the Grand Central logo that clinches it. Looking formard to paying for the release. $29 bucks. Really is it that hard to pay. Come on you've spent more on a steak dinner. Or a night at the movies.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
better idiot.
post #15 of 128
Here kitty kitty!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #16 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

Or every product page on Apple's site.

Anyways. It's the Grand Central logo that clinches it. Looking formard to paying for the release. $29 bucks. Really is it that hard to pay. Come on you've spent more on a steak dinner. Or a night at the movies.

Probably $40.00 CDN.
post #17 of 128
This combined with the installer disc icon tells me it ain't no fake.

I think the box is pretty good (maybe people don't like change?). I imagine it looks better in real life.

One things for sure – never happy with the space theme.

Whatever we each think of the box, one thing everyone should be pleased with is that this likely indicate the release date is drawing near.
post #18 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Burns Effect View Post

How come the plastic sleeve for the disc?

Is it the owner being very precautions?

That's how they ship these days.
post #19 of 128
And i've spent more than $40 on a steak from Cumbrea's Easy. See you in line at the Eatons Center.
better idiot.
better idiot.
post #20 of 128
From my point of view I dont thinks this is Real... its just a very well done FAKE...

I think is fake because dont have the touch of apple designers... at all...
post #21 of 128
I'm springing for the $49 Family Pack. We only have two Intel-based Macs in the house.

I know I could just get the $29 Single and install it on both machines. But $49 is a reasonable compromise versus the $129/$199 of previous OS X upgrades.

My karma/conscience is clear.
post #22 of 128
I rather like it. Nice change from the last few designs.
post #23 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbreed View Post

Wrong.

Actually more a return to the standard OS-X kind of styling. The original Leopard with the swishy pink and purple background and space theme was more of a "break" with Apple's typical styling.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #24 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wrong.

Actually more a return to the standard OS-X kind of styling. The original Leopard with the swishy pink and purple background and space theme was more of a "break" with Apple's typical styling.

I dont agree with you, because Apple are trying to bring more vivid colors to Apple, and leaving the grey and opaque...
post #25 of 128
Nice fake. Now tell me a real release date. I need a new MBP and would like it to ship with Snow Leopard. Please, please be shipping Macs with it by August 28th.
post #26 of 128
Apple has been leakier then a sunken ship these days. First the Mac Mini (which was true), then the "tablet" videos (which may or may not be true), the new iPod Touch (probably true), and now this. Seriously, is there any secrecy left there?
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
post #27 of 128
Hmm. Apple's own Snow Leopard page displays a bit different disc art. Why would they change that all of a sudden after people have become familiar with it through the website?

Also it would create inconsitency between the Server edition and the Client. Unless they're going to slap that leopard photo onto the server too which doesn't happen.
post #28 of 128
I believe the leopard pic is from Webshots.
I know snow leopard pictures are hard to come by, and it is a fantastic picture. I'm still a bit disappointed at the rehashing.
post #29 of 128
Yeah, ok this is not the first place I've seen this design (screenshots of alleged Golden Master install icon). But, it sorta doesn't exactly match Apple's art that they post on their official website: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

And this new design is totally ugly and unlike anything has ever done. A PICTURE of a SNOW LEOPARD??? It's just a codename for goodness sakes. The VERSION NUMBER is what's always prominent. Not a picture of a snow leopard printed on a white background (which obviously could have been made by anybody with a printable cd and a printer).

And why is it that photos of un-released products are always taken with the most crappy camera possible?

Gullible people... I'll believe it when it's sitting in front of my Mac.
post #30 of 128
Apple definitely needed to make this break with their past OS X artwork. It's too hard to remember which giant "X" is which: The gloopy blue X, The steely iron X, the cat spots X (how many different cats do actually have spots?) It was getting difficult to identify a specific version of OS X just by the big "X" logo itself.
post #31 of 128
Me likes, me likes!!

Aug. 28? Just let it out already!!
post #32 of 128
El Gato Blanco Mucho Frio

(yea yea, not too bad for El Norte Stupido
post #33 of 128
The line at the Phoenix Biltmore Apple store for the release of Snow Leopard just started forming. Only 4 people so far.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #34 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I'm springing for the $49 Family Pack. We only have two Intel-based Macs in the house.

I know I could just get the $29 Single and install it on both machines. But $49 is a reasonable compromise versus the $129/$199 of previous OS X upgrades.

My karma/conscience is clear.

I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder if the low price of this upgrade is going to increase the percentage of users who buy Family Packs this time around. It would do a lot to prove the theory that for software, selling at a low price will do more to reduce piracy, and thus make up for the lower margin on each unit sold, than jacking the price up and adding draconian anti-piracy measures. In other words, reward your paying customers, instead of placing the burden of the lost revenue from pirates on them.

Hope Adobe is paying attention.
post #35 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nice fake. Now tell me a real release date. I need a new MBP and would like it to ship with Snow Leopard. Please, please be shipping Macs with it by August 28th.

If you buy a new MBP now, you can get Snow Leopard for $9.99 via the up-to-date program or you can wait. Learn more about the up-to-date program

Also, according to Apple's website, it says that Snow Leopard is scheduled to ship in September but Apple could always let the cat out early.
post #36 of 128
You can download both of the boxshots in high res here:
http://www.apple.com/pr/products/macosx/macosx.html

The SL box does look a lot like the current Leopard box, I think that is the point. I am sure they will never be sold side by side - when Snow Leopard is released Leopard will be gone from the shelves.
I don't see Apple wanting to convey to consumers the idea this is a completely new OS/product.

Also, as a designer I would say that it would be HUGE shock to see that box on the shelf at an Apple store. It is VERY off brand.
post #37 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en-pt View Post

I dont agree with you, because Apple are trying to bring more vivid colors to Apple, and leaving the grey and opaque...

Actually Apple is trying to get away from full color boxes cause it requires more ink, which requires printers to work harder, which in turn is bad for the environment.

If you haven't noticed all of Apple's boxes are starting to resemble this style of box. Plus the crease on the back is like every other Apple box I have received, my MacBook Pro had one, MacBook had one, and my Mighty Mouse had one.

Might as well get used to it, this is potentially the final packaging for the software.
post #38 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

I think that is the point. I am sure they will never be sold side by side - when Snow Leopard is released Leopard will be gone from the shelves.

Isn't Leopard a prerequisite for Snow Leopard? There are a few Intel Mac people still running Tiger, not to mention PowerPC Macs that can still be upgraded from Tiger and earlier versions of Mac OS X to Leopard.
post #39 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Isn't Leopard a prerequisite for Snow Leopard? There are a few Intel Mac people still running Tiger, not to mention PowerPC Macs that can still be upgraded from Tiger and earlier versions of Mac OS X to Leopard.

The $29 upgrade will require Leopard, but I have to imagine they will sell a full version for $129.

BTW - Just downloaded the box art from the PR site and it is the current box not the new SL box, my bad... I still believe that SL will very closely resemble the current OSX.
post #40 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

The $29 upgrade will require Leopard, but I have to imagine they will sell a full version for $129.

BTW - Just downloaded the box art from the PR site and it is the current box not the new SL box, my bad... I still believe that SL will very closely resemble the current OSX.

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown