or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown - Page 3

post #81 of 128
If Apple really wanted to score points with the environmentalists, they'd donate a few pennies of each sale of Snow Leopard to a "Save the Snow Leopard" foundation. It's one thing to profit off the image of a highly endangered species, it's another to actually kick some $$$ back to help keep said animal around. And well within Apple's latest greener, gentler image.

- Jasen.

P.S. Woohoo! Top of page 3.
post #82 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Snowball.

Good name

Snowball the OS X Snow Leopard

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #83 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...
Yeah I know about the general whinning that not much has changed interface wise...
Dave

Not much has changed except to throw even more interface styles into the already overflowing mix.

I love Apple, and I prefer OS X to Windows, but admit it, the thing is the poster child for how NOT to adhere to your own interface guidelines.
post #84 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by normis View Post

soooo lame. just as somebody else said - so un-apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Weird... Doesn't look good. Looks very un-Apple..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Couldn't disagree more.

Ireland. Quite. Normis and Palegolas clearly weren't buying Apple products around 2003...

I really like the design but the fact that this looks like an old design to those of us who've been with the company for a while makes me doubt them.

http://web.archive.org/web/200310020....com/software/
post #85 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Not much has changed except to throw even more interface styles into the already overflowing mix.

I love Apple, and I prefer OS X to Windows, but admit it, the thing is the poster child for how NOT to adhere to your own interface guidelines.

Actaully, OS X's look still seems rather understated and coherent to me.

What inconsistencies are you referring to?
post #86 of 128
I like the clean white and grey design in this article, but then why is Amazon using this box art advertising the upcoming release? And a blue design for 10.6 Server?



Leads me to think that the Apple Insider post is a fan mock up.
post #87 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en-pt View Post

Keynote WWDC 2009


Thank you! I think people missed this picture because you didn't enclose it in IMG tags.

@codymr,

Amazon's just using Apple's placeholder boxart, which you can see here and here.


Lastly, for everyone who keeps saying you'll need Leopard to install Snow Leopard, that appears to be untrue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #88 of 128
If it was sent to Macrumors then it is definitely a fake, probably created by one of their stupid mods.
post #89 of 128
Throwing in the "Planet Earth" Blu-Ray into my player right now, and going straight to the Snow Leopard scene!
post #90 of 128
That's really cool, how did you see the GPS stuff ?





Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en-pt View Post

Well, i did some deep research about that pictures, and was taken in Newbridge, Kildare and not in Portugal. I dont know if Apple have something there, like designers of something, maybe someone could help..

How do I know this information? I found this photos here:

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img0024reb.jpg/
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/img0020dtl.jpg/
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img0028aic.jpg/


Download the full photos and see the details.. you will see the GPS coordinates and was taken on iPhone.. lol...

By the way, other think that proof this photos was not taken in Portugal is the Keyboard of the Macbook, dont have some special characters like "Ç" where is placed the regular english keyboard the character ";"
post #91 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic70 View Post

That's really cool, how did you see the GPS stuff ?

When I found that, i saw on the photo proprieties, details of Windows 7...

But on iPhoto you can see with geotagging
post #92 of 128
The 3 columns on the back of the box are not evenly spaced. If it is real, then that is bad design.

@wobegon,
I see your point, but if the purple or blue variant of 10.5 is not the official box art for 10.6, wouldn't Amazon just use their "Image Not Available" place holder like they do with music or DVDs etc. As far as I know they don't use temp art or early mock up images for those products. This does not pass the smell test.
post #93 of 128
That operating system looks pissed.
post #94 of 128
[QUOTE=codymr;1466327]The 3 columns on the back of the box are not evenly spaced. If it is real, then that is bad design.

Totally agree with you.. i notice that too...
Im really hoping to this one be a fake.. im watching over and over and over and I work as a designer, so Im always inspired by Apple, and see this design I dont see any "Apple touch design" ... the kind of design that we have absolute sure .. "this is an Apple product"..

some people complain about the space theme, etc.. but when I see that packaging, even not be the tradicional white packaging... i can tell that have the special "apple touch" ...fresh.. and clean... and colors very well balanced
post #95 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

I like the clean white and grey design in this article, but then why is Amazon using this box art advertising the upcoming release? And a blue design for 10.6 Server?



Leads me to think that the Apple Insider post is a fan mock up.

Amazon has removed images of both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server from their pre-order pages so it leads me to think it might be the real deal, though I really hope not.
post #96 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis View Post

Almost as nice as a wolf shirt. Almost.

Oh that's good!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #97 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en-pt View Post

From my point of view I dont thinks this is Real... its just a very well done FAKE...

I think is fake because dont have the touch of apple designers... at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nice fake. Now tell me a real release date. I need a new MBP and would like it to ship with Snow Leopard. Please, please be shipping Macs with it by August 28th.

Heheheh. I thought it was a fake when I saw the installer icon. Now I'm thinking it's actually the real deal. It's growing on me though, I do have a soft spot for the big cats.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #98 of 128
The space theme has it's disingenious uses you'd be hard pushed to find a desktop picture better suited to hide all those dead/stuck pixels!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #99 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Quines argument is like saying that its okay to download the DVD of an unreleased movie so long as you plan to buy it when the DVD is out, or to grab the CD prerelease of a musician so long as you plan to buy it when it comes out. I dont think the courts would buy that argument.

I think the jury might...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #100 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think the jury might...

I dont think so

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...-file-sharing/
post #101 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

@wobegon,
I see your point, but if the purple or blue variant of 10.5 is not the official box art for 10.6, wouldn't Amazon just use their "Image Not Available" place holder like they do with music or DVDs etc. As far as I know they don't use temp art or early mock up images for those products. This does not pass the smell test.

They are using their 'No image available' placeholder:


http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10...0541366&sr=8-1
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #102 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The space theme has it's disingenious uses – you'd be hard pushed to find a desktop picture better suited to hide all those dead/stuck pixels!

Nobody said we're not getting the SL nebula desktop image. This is the image on the disk, disk icon and box, not the desktop. Though I do believe this desktop image is also being added.

This is my desktop image right now, I've had this image for a while. It's nice.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #103 of 128
I stand corrected... The Amazon page has changed since I last viewed it. I guess we will have to wait and see what Apple comes up with.
post #104 of 128
I think they should do something similar to the Thundercats logo.



That alone would be reason enough for me to buy a Mac.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #105 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I think they should do something similar to the Thundercats logo.

That alone would be reason enough for me to buy a Mac.

Barf! Looks more like Alienware.
post #106 of 128
Here's the classic logo. Ahh, memories. Going back to '86 here.


post #107 of 128
I am amazed that an article about a fucking box would generate over 100 comments. Get a life people.
post #108 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am amazed that an article about a fucking box would generate over 100 comments. Get a life people.

It's not all about the box. the conversation (as it often does) branched off into different directions. It's just the ebb and flow of the posts.
post #109 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am amazed that an article about a fucking box would generate over 100 comments. Get a life people.

Funny, most of us actually contributed something to the conversation. You didn't.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #110 of 128
THUNDERCATS FTW!

YES.

Mac OS X 10.7 "Thundercat". Boom!

Special appearance by Steve Ballmer as Mum-Ra.
post #111 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?

Back up all your data, install snow leopard and do a format with disk utility, copy all your data back! Install apps from your applications disc that came with your computer.
post #112 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Back up all your data, install snow leopard and do a format with disk utility, copy all your data back! Install apps from your applications disc that came with your computer.

And if you have to install a new HDD and do an install with Snow Leopard, will you be able to just install that disc, will you need to install Leopard first, or will you need to just put the Leopard disc in at a particular time to have the installer verify that you have it on in?
post #113 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Funny, most of us actually contributed something to the conversation. You didn't.

Sure I did. I pointed out how stupid most people are to get excited over rumored cover art on a box. One in which will be thrown away immediately after purchase. It is amazing how Apple came up with the idea of a picture of a Snow Leopard, on their software that is called Snow Leopard. And some poor fool at AppleInsider got stuck with the assignment to write an article about a box.
post #114 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

The 3 columns on the back of the box are not evenly spaced. If it is real, then that is bad design.

Hehehe. I get this all the time with clients!



Sometimes ranged text on a grid looks unevenly spaced, even although it is sitting perfectly on the grid. This is because when you clean up the line endings, you often end up with columns of text that are different widths.

It's interesting to note that someone has indeed cleaned-up the line endings. This is something that very few designers would do, but most artworkers would do. That might suggest that if it is a fake, it's been produced by someone with a good understanding of typography and Tschichold-esque style grids.

I would suggest that any faker other that a typographer, would have visually balanced the white space between the columns because they didn't know any better. This may have looked better initially, but you would then have sacrificed consistency across different languages and other instances of the grid.

So, because it's been produced by someone with a good understanding of typography (grids and rag-cleaning), I'm going to go with 'genuine' this time around. Either way, it's good design, and it's been well produced.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #115 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Sure I did. I pointed out how stupid most people are to get excited over rumored cover art on a box. One in which will be thrown away immediately after purchase. It is amazing how Apple came up with the idea of a picture of a Snow Leopard, on their software that is called Snow Leopard. And some poor fool at AppleInsider got stuck with the assignment to write an article about a box.

I think the main cut-and-thrust of the discussion is that if this is a genuine box, it means that 10a432 is the Gold Master.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #116 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think the main cut-and-thrust of the discussion is that if this is a genuine box, it means that 10a432 is the Gold Master.

The two aren't necessarily related. If there is an announcement on September (the 'media event' relating to 'media') then the programming being stopped on 12 August gives the programmers slightly less than a month to update iTunes for the new product that'll be launched.
post #117 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actaully, OS X's look still seems rather understated and coherent to me.

What inconsistencies are you referring to?

- Aqua themed scroll bars
- New shading 'grey' theme in Leopard (see App folder for example)
- Quicktime 'chrome' theme
- New 'desktop' for Widgets (why just them?)
- Itunes interface spreading to some apps (Finder) but not all
- Quicktime is now getting yet another theme (it's a frickin app people!!!)
- What the heck is the deal with the fonts and spacing in the Help Menu????
- Some apps give the spinning beach ball, some still give the hourglass

etc. etc. ad naseum.
post #118 of 128
I installed Snow Leopard from Tiger 10.4.11.

Mind you it was a fresh zero'd install of Tiger so I didn't do a clean install of Snow Leopard because it wasn't needed.

Everything seems to be normal. Quicktime is nice. Safari is the same.

For those of you wondering the latest version of Vuze does not play nice with Snow Leopard. You'll have to use Transmission for now.
post #119 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think the main cut-and-thrust of the discussion is that if this is a genuine box, it means that 10a432 is the Gold Master.

My feeling and final thought on this thread is now that this is not the final box but the box will look mostly like this and 10A432 is one build *before* the Gold Master. The Snow Leopard nebula will remain as a desktop picture included but will not be the main thrust of the design so as to differentiate it from Leopard.

They are going to go with the cat picture, I now thinkz...
post #120 of 128
All you doubters got pwned and I was RIGHT! Those pictures of the packaging are the real deal.
I own lot's of Apple stuff, but see no need to thump my virtual chest about it.
Reply
I own lot's of Apple stuff, but see no need to thump my virtual chest about it.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown