or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

post #1 of 130
A day after the TomTom navigation software saw an overseas roll out, the iPhone application hit North America and Europe and is now available for download in the App Store.

Maps for the U.S. and Canada ($99.99), Western Europe ($139.99), Australia ($79.99), and New Zealand ($94.99) are available in the U.S. In Europe, maps of the U.K. and Ireland are available for £59.99.

The product works with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, which include an integrated GPS receiver. It will reportedly also be compatible with the first-generation iPhone and the iPod touch once the separate combo hardware kit is made available. TomTom has not yet announced a price for the hardware package.

The TomTom iPhone application includes multi-touch pinch to zoom capabilities, rotates between portrait and landscape mode, seamlessly integrates with the phone's contact list, and has the ability to add locations. It also includes TomTom IQ Routes, which recommends the smartest possible trip based on the driving habits of others.

The application works in English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish. It requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later. The U.S. and Canada maps are 1.21GB, Australia is 157MB, New Zealand is 85.6MB, and Western Europe weighs in at 1.44GB.

According to a TomTom press release, other features include:

Navigation software including fast route planning and clear voice instructions

Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed

Route demo or map of route when trip planning

Alternative route options if avoiding roadblocks, toll ways or looking for high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes along route

6 million Points of Interest included

Night and day color mode for optimized screen visibility in varying light conditions

Change view settings (2D or 3D map display)

Points-of-interest search and call capabilities from iPhone
post #2 of 130
Worthless. Ridiculous.

Co Pilot Live is every bit as good if not better and its $35. Get it. Forget Tom Tom, don't justify their ridiculous price gouging by paying what they ask.

Just because they are a "big" company doesn't mean they are offering what should be offered. Its too little for too much $$$. The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

Boycott Tom Tom and their nonsense. Make them learn what happens when you ignore the market and try to take advantage of obsessed iPhone users.
post #3 of 130
£79.99 here in the UK for Western Europe. That's border-line acceptable, but stretching it... I'll have a closer look at the other apps available. Suggestions anyone?
post #4 of 130
Well it is not that cheap, ofc the UK price also includes VAT which is never mentioned in the US price, still I go to South Africa 3 times a year and am waiting for someone to offer GPS with maps outside of Europe/USA etc, I don't mind paying for the maps but as they sell GPS prodcuts in other countries it would be nice to be able to buy the maps.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Worthless. Ridiculous.

Co Pilot Live is every bit as good if not better and its $35.

You've bought both programs and compared them? Or, perhaps, you've got a link to a site that has?
Quote:
Just because they are a "big" company doesn't mean they are offering what should be offered. Its too little for too much $$$. The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.
Quote:
Boycott Tom Tom and their nonsense. Make them learn what happens when you ignore the market and try to take advantage of obsessed iPhone users.

Seems a bit extreme. I've been waiting for this app and plan on purchasing one of the GPS turn by turn applications after some reputable source compares them for me.

I don't think your post qualifies as a reputable source. It seems biased.
post #6 of 130
Actually the price is a bargain, plus it appears you actually get the maps. This is important because if you lose signal, you lose your navigation. Now, I'm not certain if the maps are included, but if they are than this is a bargain.

A note about TomTom: They do have a habit of abandoning old products that don't keep making money. I have a LifeDrive and TomTom MkII that cannot be updated. Both products had only been on the market 1 year. That's not a good track record.
post #7 of 130
Am I right in thinking this supports speed camera warnings, but not traffic avoidance?

Also, when is the mount coming out? That actually looks like a nice bit of equipment, as it includes not just some sort of GPS antenna, but also an FM transmitter and charging station.
post #8 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Actually the price is a bargain, plus it appears you actually get the maps. This is important because if you lose signal, you lose your navigation. Now, I'm not certain if the maps are included, but if they are than this is a bargain.

A note about TomTom: They do have a habit of abandoning old products that don't keep making money. I have a LifeDrive and TomTom MkII that cannot be updated. Both products had only been on the market 1 year. That's not a good track record.

Maps are included. That's why the US/Canada app is 1.21GB (which matches the size of the map file for other tomtom apps). What's great about having maps, is not just for losing signal but also to be able to use the phone while roaming (eg. I'm in Toronto, now with TomTom I'll be able to use the iPhone while driving through the US without paying a cent).

However, it's very expensive I'll admit that: the combo cradle + app is going to be just as expensive as buying a fullblown TomTom device :s
Also it doesn't seem to mention access to traffic data. Given that the phone has data connectivity, why didn't they add traffic info to it!?
post #9 of 130
TomTom France............69,99 eur
TomTom Europe............99,99
TomTom New Zealand....74,99
TomTom US..................79,99
TomTom Australia..........62,99

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #10 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.

No, the cradle is necessary for the 1st gen and any Touch, but will work with any of them and is supposedly going to have a stronger GPS receiver. While some may find the 3G[S] GPS to be good enough, I'm sure there are many cases in which it isn't and thus you'd want a better receiver. Also, not having the phone itself process the GPS signal means less heat would be generated by the phone, making it last longer.

If priced below $50, I may buy the dock before the app simply to get a nice looking cradle that does everything all other cradles out there currently do, but has the potential to do more if I chose to get the app.
post #11 of 130
Ridiculously overpriced. Between this and the not-yet released hardware, a cheaper aletrnative is to just buy a stand-alone unit; they start at about $129.00.
It's drk_one for a reason...
It's drk_one for a reason...
post #12 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You've bought both programs and compared them? Or, perhaps, you've got a link to a site that has?
From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.Seems a bit extreme. I've been waiting for this app and plan on purchasing one of the GPS turn by turn applications after some reputable source compares them for me.

I don't think your post qualifies as a reputable source. It seems biased.

Long story short, Tom Tom, because they are a Navigation Unit manufacturer, plan to charge iPhone users upwards of $180 for the "full package" GPS experience.

Its B.S.

CoPilot Live = $34. Go get it. GPS solution solved. Like most people, I already have a solution for mounting/charging in my vehicle. $34 and your TurnXTurn desires are solved WITHOUT buying the biggest and bestest thing that name brand advantage-taker has introduced.

Or you could be suckered in and pay 4 -5 times what's necessary to accomplish the same.

Biased? No, its called common sense.
post #13 of 130
Does the GPS Location really work without connection to the net? Although any "normal" GPS does, I just found myself with the iPhone App "OffMaps" in Paris (downloaded the Paris Map preaviously to use it offline), but the GPS position was never resolved and shown in that app! Maybe that is only a problem with OffMaps, but I need to be sure to not have to connect to the net for a GPS localisation. Roaming Data charges are just ridiculous...
post #14 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

TomTom indeed happened to disconnect the support of some platforms mercilessly, having pissed off crowds of users.
Still, LifeDrive is the Palm product; not much to do with TomTom. It was Palm, who dropped this product line. TomTom's NAVIGATOR 5 was the gps software, which targeted this platform in the past (NAV 4 was not fully functional).
NAVIGATOR 6, which succeeded NAV 5, installs and works perfectly on LifeDrive. The maps for NAV 6 are still available in the TomTom store.
I still use the same combination. No any problems to mention.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #15 of 130
But No, I'm completely off base. I mean afterall, TomTom was given the spotlight at WWDC because they are simply the best right? It has nothing to do with them being the most marketable or recognizable name in the navigation industry, its because everything they touch is gold, and worth every penny. Yeah, i'm sure THAT was it.

And if Apple brought them to WWDC, then we know its Apple Approved! Why buy anything else from the riff raff? If you're not over paying for something Apple has approved, it just doesn't feel right does it?

--------------

Go ahead and buy the single most expensive navigation app in the app store, and then go out and buy the scam of lifetime called the TomTom iPhone cradle. Then while you're driving though your next tunnel your rest comfortably knowing that even though you will still lose GPS signal, you'll be picking it up 3/10ths of a second faster than the common iPhone on the other side.

Good grief you people are gullible.
post #16 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

Does the GPS Location really work without connection to the net? Although any "normal" GPS does, I just found myself with the iPhone App "OffMaps" in Paris (downloaded the Paris Map preaviously to use it offline), but the GPS position was never resolved and shown in that app! Maybe that is only a problem with OffMaps, but I need to be sure to not have to connect to the net for a GPS localisation. Roaming Data charges are just ridiculous...

The GPS works fine without a data connection. I use my Canadian phone in the US all the time with the Navigon app for turn by turn with no data roaming charges
post #17 of 130
It is not worth for this prize. this app must be < 40$
post #18 of 130
Actually they rolled out on the same "day", there's a small thing in between called the International Date Line which puts us one day ahead of you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A day after the TomTom navigation software saw an overseas roll out, the iPhone application hit North America and Europe and is now available for download in the App Store.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #19 of 130
from macdaily news today

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22101/

a car kit should include the nav software and it should not have to be update every year
i agree 100 is TOO MUCH
but $39 or less, hey google make an app

it will however be the way the system is integrated into the car audio that will make it reasonable, unless i can convince my wife to hold the iphone which will take her away from her audio books--NOT!
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #20 of 130
This is the exact reason multiple apps running at the same time needs to be employed. If you are driving using the TomTom software and a call comes in, the TomTom app disappears and you don't get driving instructions. Worthless purchase at this point.
post #21 of 130
Quote:

The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

The cradle will, at a minimum, function as a charger, hands-free caller, and integrated car audio device in addition to providing turn-by-turn directions.

Seems like the time to evaluate whether a product is "a SCAM and a rip off" would be sometime after it's available for retail purchase.
post #22 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLoftus View Post

The GPS works fine without a data connection. I use my Canadian phone in the US all the time with the Navigon app for turn by turn with no data roaming charges

Thank you! I was hoping for this

Too bad that there is no TMC though...
post #23 of 130
To update the maps on my wife's Navman costs $A179.

So I should just throw it away and buy a new one?

$A99.99 seems like a bargain in comparison.

The dock also boosts the speaker volume and integrates with calls.

There is a video review here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

Ridiculously overpriced. Between this and the not-yet released hardware, a cheaper aletrnative is to just buy a stand-alone unit; they start at about $129.00.
post #24 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

This is the exact reason multiple apps running at the same time needs to be employed. If you are driving using the TomTom software and a call comes in, the TomTom app disappears and you don't get driving instructions. Worthless purchase at this point.

Thank you for an intelligent reply. I hadn't even thought of this! So, by this token, ALL turn-by-turn apps are inherently flawed because of Apple. Wow.
post #25 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post

Thank you for an intelligent reply. I hadn't even thought of this! So, by this token, ALL turn-by-turn apps are inherently flawed because of Apple. Wow.

Yes, except not all other apps cost $100 + the cradle, which will be interesting to see how much $$ that will be. The cradle is almost, if not a must have, to hear the instructions clearly and loud enough plus charge the device/enhance the gps.
post #26 of 130
Ridiculous. Buy a standalone unit for UNDER $100, which will give you dedicated GPS even if a phone call comes in.

But it's a free market, and I'm sure TomTom did their due diligence and researched a pricepoint users are willing to pay. I sense it'll still be a 'hit' as people seem to be app happy buying anything new in the store.
post #27 of 130
TomTom has the advantage of bringing an already mature (i.e. full featured, debugged) nav environment to the iPhone. I'd think it's worth something not to have to be an acting, unpaid and involuntary beta tester (been there, done that). One review on iTunes says: "This is the first app that gave me credible directions. Navigon did not and CoPilot did not. That's pretty basic."

Pretty basic indeed. If that's the case, then one's feelings about price differences might disappear pretty quickly.
post #28 of 130
Gosh, they could have included the whole EU (or even Europe), this way it's really useless. No maps for Czech republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Croatia etc. Hope it's in the pipeline, and that no "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe" division will take place (i.e. you will be able to simply get "Europe" map).
post #29 of 130
Quote:

Long story short, Tom Tom, because they are a Navigation Unit manufacturer, plan to charge iPhone users upwards of $180 for the "full package" GPS experience.

Its B.S.

CoPilot Live = $34. Go get it. GPS solution solved. Like most people, I already have a solution for mounting/charging in my vehicle. $34 and your TurnXTurn desires are solved WITHOUT buying the biggest and bestest thing that name brand advantage-taker has introduced.

Or you could be suckered in and pay 4 -5 times what's necessary to accomplish the same.

You may or may not be correct about how CoPilot performs vs TomTom, but like the previous poster, I'll wait for a reputable source to review the options. But let's at least get the math right!

You are trying to compare the $180 "full package" TomTom to your $34 CoPilot and then say you already have a car mounting/charging accessory. So if the iPhone's GPS is accurate enough, and I already have a cradle, then why are you saying I have to get the full TomTom package? Oh yeah, that's right, you are purposefully trying to make TomTom look as bad as possible. Sounds like the definition of biased to me.

So it's more like $34 vs $100. Still expensive for the TomTom, but not nearly as bad as you are trying to make it sound. Well within the range for considering the TomTom app if it offers any features over CoPilot.

As far as the TomTom mount goes, perhaps the iPhone's GPS works fine for you; but GPS is very dependent on your environment. Trees, tall buildings, and other things can interfere with the signal. And navigating country roads, where if you are off by 200 feet is no big deal, is different than navigating a major metropolitan area where there could be 3 or 4 right-hand turns within 200 foot radius. The extra accuracy they are saying the mount gets you may very well be worth it for some people, especially if they will also make use of the mount, charging, and/or hands-free option.

Bottom line, if the mount is unnecessary, than don't buy it! At least you have the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Ridiculous. Buy a standalone unit for UNDER $100, which will give you dedicated GPS even if a phone call comes in.

But it's a free market, and I'm sure TomTom did their due diligence and researched a pricepoint users are willing to pay. I sense it'll still be a 'hit' as people seem to be app happy buying anything new in the store.

The price range of stand-alone units range from under $100 to several hundred dollars. Whether the iPhone app is a good value compared to those units really depends on where it falls in the range based on features. Obviously, for the right features, the units that cost several hundred must be of some value because people buy them. If the iPhone offers some of those advanced features not available in the under $100 units, then it may well be worth it. (Not to mention the value of having only a single device to mount and provide power to instead of separate nav unit and iPhone/iPod.)
post #30 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Either that or TomTom just wants to hit first adopters up for some extra cash Pricing is so fluid on the App Store it can change drastically overnight. I'm sure the first $59.99 sale will have people buying in droves.

I'm curious if Apple suggested keeping the price high. They've been trying to reverse the "race to the bottom" pricing of the App Store, and this would be an opportunity to roll out a big app and show other developers that apps can be priced in the $50-$100 range and succeed.
post #31 of 130
Quote:

Yes, except not all other apps cost $100 + the cradle, which will be interesting to see how much $$ that will be. The cradle is almost, if not a must have, to hear the instructions clearly and loud enough plus charge the device/enhance the gps.

$100 bucks...I don't see it happening. Like you said, you can get a standard one for that much, and not have to lose a turn because a call came through. Why pay so much when TomTom is only providing the software(at minimum) and you're providing the hardware(iphone)
post #32 of 130
i see the cradle on the iphone stuck on the inside of the window and think of 3 things
EZPASS
Making a video of the drive you took
Watching a movie or streaming some HULU while you drive .
Setting tom tom to make only left turns until you reach the coast .

dunno just saying

go tom tom
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #33 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

E

I'm curious if Apple suggested keeping the price high. They've been trying to reverse the "race to the bottom" pricing of the App Store, succeed.

Could please supply examples of apples anti-race to the bottom ?

I will DL it and Play IT on my free podcast .

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #34 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLoftus View Post

I have a 3GS, & Navigon works fine. One of my older phones a 16GB 3G, has no data connection (a blank?) sim - that I just use for movies, skype and such. The Navigon will NOT EVER get a gps signal, even though the google maps app works just fine (with WiFi coverage of course)

I had a Genius look into this - after much persuasion cos they don't fix 'APPS' and he felt my Phone was fine.

So beware before you buy either Navigon or TomTom -

This for some reason is too difficult a concept for either supplier to come clean on their website. Remember Navigons 'fix' for poor GPS is to reformat the memory within your iPhone (see the FAQ)

Good luck
post #35 of 130
I swear people complain about everything. You haven't even used the TomTom yet to see how well it works. At least wait for a comparison beteen the two. If you feel the TomTom is too expensive and you like what you have. Don't buy the TomTom and be happy.

Quote:

Its B.S.

post #36 of 130
What happens if you get a phone call? Apple doesn't allow you to run two programs at once. Isn't that still the case? I still think the standalone device is the way to go?
post #37 of 130
As the previous post for CoPilot was not given much consideration by this thread, I wanted to weigh in on the product. I have been a CoPilot (version 2 thru7) user as both a final product and a beta tester on the Windows CE/PPC/Mobile platforms. I have absolutely nothing but praise for CoPilot and I have compared it to the other players in the field, both PPC software only and hardware/software combo units. I have used it for both extensive local and long trip navigation in the US, but have no experience outside the US. ALK (owner of CoPilot) has been excellent with map updates as well as new more feature rich upgrades on basically a yearly basis (more of less). While I have not had the opportunity to do a feature by feature comparison with Tom Tom's iPhone offering, I can say that in my side by side comparison of the PPC version's feature/function/UI, to other competitors owned by friends, relatives, I have always found CoPilot offered a superior experience.

CoPilot was there long before TomTom and does deserve serious consideration, especially given the new lower price ($35, previous versions of CoPilot ran around $100). I for one am delighted to see CoPilot available on the iPhone and now can finally retire my PPC from its last remaining use (will keep it around as a backup).
post #38 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

$100 bucks...I don't see it happening. Like you said, you can get a standard one for that much, and not have to lose a turn because a call came through. Why pay so much when TomTom is only providing the software(at minimum) and you're providing the hardware(iphone)

i don't know what the wholesale costs are for their devices, but the value is in the software. i bet their cost to build one of their devices is maybe $20 if that much.
post #39 of 130
Quote:

When the call is over, the app switches back on automatically, according to the video posted in a thread here.

While a dedicated hardware GPS may be offered at a similar price, the convenience of having one device that I can carry around in my pocket and have more uses for is more attractive to me. I've resisted purchasing a GPS so far because I didn't like the idea of leaving it in my car, hooking it up every time I wanted to use it, all that kind of stuff. The idea of taking my phone out, putting it in a cradle and having it powered by my car's electrical system, and still having it available on the fly when I'm with my wife in her car, or a friends car, all that makes my iPhone the perfect device to carry for GPS directions.
post #40 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

I did the same thing in Amsterdam last month, with the same App. Very promising app, it lets you download the maps from Google for a certain area that you set, and navigate offline after that. Did you notice that if you enabled wifi, the GPS worked? Clearly (to me) it seems an oversite by Apple on the design of airplane mode. There must be a toggle button to enable just the GPS chip when the rest of the radios are off to make this kind of app work.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99