or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accuses Psystar of destroying evidence in latest court filing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple accuses Psystar of destroying evidence in latest court filing - Page 3

post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

Psystar has valid points and we should be supporting their efforts rather than fighting them!

you will find that many, including the courts, disagree with the 'validity' of Psystar's arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

http://www.kayako.com/solutions/supportsuite/

Wouldn't they have online logs?

this is where things are going to get dicey for Psystar. there are all kinds of laws and such about keeping records. that Psystar has no receipts for their OS X copy purchases, no records of their parts purchases and computer sales is not going to sit will with the IRS, among other issues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

but the other part wants Psystar to win so there can be more competition and make Macs more affordable to all.

here's the thing though. being less money now out of the pocket doesn't mean less overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You should have made computers that would have run OS X with only a bootloader.

that is exactly what Psystar did and what they did that broke the law. the DCMA prohibits the distribution (free or for sale) of any information or technology that breaks the copyright protections put in place by the rightful copyright holder.

so if the courts, who have already validated Apple's right to tie hardware and software, decide that the installation of the software constitutes a copyright issue, Psystar will be in loads of trouble under the DCMA for that boatloader. As will whomever created it if it was not Psystar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


But the thing that bothers me most are the mentalities I've seen in replies to your "so everyone can afford" them comments are the "We don't want everyone to afford them" snippets. It feels so elitist to me.

it may sound elitist but it might not be totally far from the truth. the fact is that Apple can do things like the instore tech support in part because they know the specs of all the possible machines. so they can eliminate a number of issues like a bad choice in graphics cards, bad driver etc. this is due to the restrictions on the hardware. restrictions they won't be able to continue if Apple's market share grows too high. so many suspect that Apple is not in that much of a hurry to become the king of the jungle gym.
post #82 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Right, so basically what you are saying is... that you want the legal system to step in and force companies to reduce their prices... so that you can afford them.

Macs are avaiable to all,....who wish to pay for them.
post #83 of 108
Quote:
I agree with you fully! The reason Psystar came to be was because people were sick of the extremely high prices, when they knew that they could get the same product WITH OS X for less. They just did it all wrong. Heck, the computers in terms of hardware are exactly the same...

I am pro "Apple for everyone" where price points are actually in a competitive place. Sadly, even though they can afford to do it, they are not coming down to the competitive level. Honestly, I would have been okay with paying more for their computers if their quality was better. In my personal experiance, that is very much NOT the case. Same exact hardware leads to same exact hardware failures (even more so in a mac when it comes to heat). I remember the day when you bought a mac and it would last you 4-6 years before it was "too old". These days its every two years. Same as a PC. I am okay with paying more if it will last you longer. They do not.

But the thing that bothers me most are the mentalities I've seen in replies to your "so everyone can afford" them comments are the "We don't want everyone to afford them" snippets. It feels so elitist to me. I thought Apple was about "Think Different" not "For the financially over appreciated". The mentality I see has drawn me even more away from Apple products. I do not want to be labeled as a fan, nor as a "oh, she has an Apple so she has money" or any of those negative things. I don't like the "Label". The only good thing about Apple is the creativity side of things. And that's all I use it for (though less and less as I find decent products on the PC and Linux, more so the latter)

If Apple used desktop parts, made an actual mid-tower, and brought their prices down to a more competitive level (which they could do and keep their margins if they went to desktop parts), we would be seeing MANY more macs than windows boxes out there. There would most likely be a revolution. But until then, forget it. Apple is just shooting themselves in the foot, making way for MS, Linux, and people who learn from Psystar's mistakes. We are just riding the iPod / iPhone wave... and the wave will crash again.

I agree with much of what you have said.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

There are many things you must keep in mind of why PC laptops are so cheap and apple will NEVER be able to produce them.

Sorry but you are wrong. Apple very much could produce cheaper laptops. they are perfectly able to do so.

but they choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I want a desktop hard drive, a desktop processor that I can change out and over clock, I want standard drives and be able to install a blue-ray drive if i wish. I want to be able to upgrade to USB3 when it comes out, or install a new networking card. I want to be able to use a standard graphics card that isn't specially built for Mac, and more so I want SLI or CrossFire. I want this in a smallish desktop form factor. Apple doesn't sell this. I want all this AND OSX, but that's not a possiblitiy through Apple... so then what do I do?

you are one of what I call the SuperGeeks. the highly techno users of all things (computers, smartphones, televisions etc) that make up about 5 (maybe 10)% of Apple's user base. one of those that says that anything less than 1080 is NOT HD and it's a sin to call it that, who will always find something to complain about that Apple isn't doing that you think they should, because (in your wise opinion) they are stupid not to. and so on

sorry to say it but they don't focus on you. they focus on the other 90-95% who only think of their tv when they buy blu-rays, who can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080, who only care that they can build a little family website, not that the coding is bloated, who want to edit that home movie of the kids, not make a blockbuster, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I understand that Apple cannot make computers for all people. I don't think they should make computers for everyone. No computer maker really does. I think a good idea would be to have two divisions. Apple computers just how they are now. Then the "build it yourself" model.

how is this different than the whole cloning fiasco. aside from the fact that Apple had to support those authorized clones.

for the record, Apple doesn't go around and knock on every house and check that you didn't build a hackintosh for your own use. just like they don't randomly walk up and demand folks let them inspect that they didn't unlock/jailbreak their iphones. they don't make you sign 20 pages of legelese that you aren't buying that retail copy to "build it yourself". if you want to build one yourself and you think you can do it and make OS X work on it, great. just keep it to yourself. don't go putting the instructions online, making that DCMA violating bootloader available for folks to download etc. yes by letter you are still breaking the law, but you aren't going to get caught if you don't brag about it.
post #85 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I agree with you fully! The reason Psystar came to be was because people were sick of the extremely high prices, when they knew that they could get the same product WITH OS X for less. They just did it all wrong. Heck, the computers in terms of hardware are exactly the same...

I am pro "Apple for everyone" where price points are actually in a competitive place. Sadly, even though they can afford to do it, they are not coming down to the competitive level. Honestly, I would have been okay with paying more for their computers if their quality was better. In my personal experiance, that is very much NOT the case. Same exact hardware leads to same exact hardware failures (even more so in a mac when it comes to heat). I remember the day when you bought a mac and it would last you 4-6 years before it was "too old". These days its every two years. Same as a PC. I am okay with paying more if it will last you longer. They do not.

But the thing that bothers me most are the mentalities I've seen in replies to your "so everyone can afford" them comments are the "We don't want everyone to afford them" snippets. It feels so elitist to me. I thought Apple was about "Think Different" not "For the financially over appreciated". The mentality I see has drawn me even more away from Apple products. I do not want to be labeled as a fan, nor as a "oh, she has an Apple so she has money" or any of those negative things. I don't like the "Label". The only good thing about Apple is the creativity side of things. And that's all I use it for (though less and less as I find decent products on the PC and Linux, more so the latter)

If Apple used desktop parts, made an actual mid-tower, and brought their prices down to a more competitive level (which they could do and keep their margins if they went to desktop parts), we would be seeing MANY more macs than windows boxes out there. There would most likely be a revolution. But until then, forget it. Apple is just shooting themselves in the foot, making way for MS, Linux, and people who learn from Psystar's mistakes. We are just riding the iPod / iPhone wave... and the wave will crash again.

Personally, I want linux to win.

Steve Jobs has said in the past that his aim is not to put a Mac in every home, but to provide a superior experience to every home that has a Mac. There is nothing elitist about saying that the product you make is not aimed at the entire market.

You clearly don't see many of the benefits that we do in terms of the Mac, so buy a Windows computer and go on with your life. If you honestly believe "...the only thing good about Apple is the creativity side of things," then the only real difference between Windows and OS X in your eyes is likely the UI, so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to you one way or another.

I will say one thing about your point of view though: one platform does not have to win over the other. People can choose which ever works best for them. Microsoft doesn't have to die for Apple to succeed and Linux doesn't have to go mainstream to continue to exist.
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I agree with you fully! The reason Psystar came to be was because people were sick of the extremely high prices,

Who are these "people"? Apple seems to be doing superbly with its "high prices."

Psystar came to be because it wanted to capitalize on OS X and satisfy (wrongly) those who want to run OS X on whatever generic PC box they choose. The cheap hardware comes with the non-Apple terriroty. In fact, considering their behaviour, it seem Psystar came to be for entirely different reasons, most of them not very sensible, and some of them downright stupid.

Applle hasn't in recent memory (for the past few years at least) had a problem with their pricing. People are stepping up to buy in record numbers. OS X and Macs are premium products that are not meant to saturate the entire market. Apple does what it does for a reason. It's all deliberate. And it works like a charm.

The "sick of high prices" claim is artificial. It's manufactured by hackintosh-hobbyists, Windows users and astroturfers on small corners of the web like this one. It's not a reflection of the reality. Apple's record quarters and record Mac sales, however, are.

Don't kid yourself into thinking there's a problem when there actually isn't. Criticizing Apple effectively is pretty difficult these days, mostly because critics can't seem to grasp the reality of the interaction between Apple and the market at large.
post #87 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Really that's what you want? That's the Windows world. Where any tom, dick or harry can make PC's or their components. That leads to numerous driver stability problems and compatibility issues. That's a big reason for BSOD's on Windows. I for one much prefer having the OS and HW built by the same vendor and having them ensure reliability. I will and do pay a premium for that added quality.

I think it is about having an option.

No one stops Apple from making - or customers from buying - original Apple Mac computers optimized for OSX (or the other way around).

But if someone wants to take a risk of building its own Mac-compatible and slap retail copy of OSX on it, one should be able to. And Apple can add a few lines in their EULA stating that OSX is designed for Apple hardware and as such Apple can not guarantee full and trouble-free experience on non-Apple hardware.

Heck, Apple can advertise on behalf of crappy, crashing Mac clones pointing out there is a reason Macs are more expensive than clones.
post #88 of 108
I don't get it?

First you say this:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I want a desktop hard drive, a desktop processor that I can change out and over clock, I want standard drives and be able to install a blue-ray drive if i wish. I want to be able to upgrade to USB3 when it comes out, or install a new networking card. I want to be able to use a standard graphics card that isn't specially built for Mac, and more so I want SLI or CrossFire.

Then you come out with this:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

At least with my 300 dollar netbook, I can't complain that its slow or when it does die (which it is out lasting the MBPs and not showing any signs of dying) I can't complain that I didn't get my bang for my buck.

This is as far from your first set of wants that you can get, you threw away $300 on something that no where near meets your needs.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #89 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I think it is about having an option.

No one stops Apple from making - or customers from buying - original Apple Mac computers optimized for OSX (or the other way around).

But if someone wants to take a risk of building its own Mac-compatible and slap retail copy of OSX on it, one should be able to. And Apple can add a few lines in their EULA stating that OSX is designed for Apple hardware and as such Apple can not guarantee full and trouble-free experience on non-Apple hardware.

Heck, Apple can advertise on behalf of crappy, crashing Mac clones pointing out there is a reason Macs are more expensive than clones.

Yeah right. And when these people that are building their own macs run into problems and apple refuses to support them because "hey we told you this Mac OS really only runs on our HW" they'll be perfectly happy with that response? Apple would get sued left right and center.

I really don't understand why there is so much debate about the topic. Apple sells Mac systems - HW and SW. They sell SW upgrades so that your system can be upgraded to the latest features. They do not sell the components for you to make your own system. It's no different than other consumer electronics products. Say Sony who make Blu-Ray players which is basically just a low cost PC Blu-Ray drive and some ASICs. I can't build my own blu-ray player and demand that Sony make the system software available to me.

Apple's value proposition, really the only key differentiator in their computer business, is that the SW and HW come from the same vendor and therefore work better together.
post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't get it?.

Nor do most reasonable people who possess expectations of applied reason, rationale, logic, and a modicum of business acumen. I mostly observe these to be demonstrations of WWS (Wahhh Wahhh Syndrome).
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #91 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Apple is just shooting themselves in the foot, making way for MS, Linux, and people who learn from Psystar's mistakes.

Apple have been "shooting themselves in the foot" for the last few years now.... and each and every year they have been selling more and more computers and gaining marketshare.



Quote:
Personally, I want linux to win.

Well that's great! It's nice to have choices isn't it?
post #92 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Apple would get sued left right and center.

Not to mention creating a weak link in their coveted brand which competitors would exploit.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #93 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I think a good idea would be to have two divisions. Apple computers just how they are now. Then the "build it yourself" model. You would have to buy the OS from them, no third parties are allowed to sell it unless authorized.

Do you really think that would be a good idea?

Quote:
But yeah, it wouldn't be good business for them I guess.

No. Apparently you don't.
post #94 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And Apple can add a few lines in their EULA stating that OSX is designed for Apple hardware and as such Apple can not guarantee full and trouble-free experience on non-Apple hardware.

Heck, Apple can advertise on behalf of crappy, crashing Mac clones pointing out there is a reason Macs are more expensive than clones.

So... amend the EULA to effectively legalize cloning.... then spend millions of dollars explaining why the clones are crap.

Got any more brilliant ideas Nikon?
post #95 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

the other part wants Psystar to win so there can be more competition and make Macs more affordable to all. However Psystar isn't helping their cause by some silly things they have been doing.

How would ripping Apple of revenue by have them pay for all the R&D and have someone illegally sell their product make Mac more affordable for all?
Apple Hardware is what subsidizes the development of OSX.
If they can't sell hardware, they can't afford to develop OSX, hence the Mac is in serious trouble.

I really don't see how you calculate.
post #96 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Nor do most reasonable people who possess expectations of applied reason, rationale, logic, and a modicum of business acumen. I mostly observe these to be demonstrations of WWS (Wahhh Wahhh Syndrome).

More like WWDCD (What Would Dick Cheney Do).

No, wait. First he'd have the US military destroy Apple, then prop up Psystar as the rightful heir to the MAC OS X platform.

They would claim that it was in our best interest to destroy the evil Steve Jobs empire, but would then create one of the their own, with Psystar as the core.

Parts and service could be provided by Dick Rumsfield and his cronies from the good ole days. "You service Psystar computers with the part you HAVE, not the parts you WANT or NEED!."

[shudder]

That was scary and painful just to type!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #97 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

More like WWDCD (What Would Dick Cheney Do).
They would claim that it was in our best interest to destroy the evil Steve Jobs empire ...:

Careful now, they're listening, taking notes, and finding this plausible grist for their caffeine-stoked machinations.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #98 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well I completely disagree with how Pystar is selling their machines by hacking OS X and putting it on their machines. I think if Psystar wins, it creates better competition by selling OS X on machines with cheaper components. Do it the right way by legally winning this battle, and selling legit, unhacked OS X installs. As for as who is all, I am talking about the people who want to get a Mac computer, but are not able to pay $1,000 dollars for a model. I know the Mac Mini starts at $599, but most people I know want a laptop instead and Apple doesn't cut it at that price range. Also when they go into an Apple Store, the Mini isn't exactly displayed prominently like an iMac or portable solutions. For me, I think a $700 dollar MacBook type price point is a great starting price.

You have no clue what you are talking about. The Mac OS Clones in the 90's did not increase competition, nor did it lower prices. Instead, it nearly bankrupted the company. Prices don't suddenly drop because another vendor can sell your product. If that were true, all cars would be the same price. All car manufacturers compete against each other, but prices have never decreased because of that competition. Apple isn't about making cheap computers, like your Dell or Toshiba $700 piece of shit. You will easily spend over $1,000 on a PC if you want quality and features. If you want a $700 MacBook, buy one used on eBay.
post #99 of 108
This is just going to end up with Psystar blown to bits and a new precedent giving the draconian control of software use through EULAs much more legal stability than before...

I still believe Psystar should have a right to make OS X -running computers, but that doesn't mean they aren't quite stupid. Again, I fear more about the precedent this whole thing will set...
I wonder what measures will next be put into EULAs. We have "you may only use this on platforms we make money from" on the OS X side, "you may only run stuff we make money from on this" on the iPhone side (even free apps, they help sell the device itself and therby paid apps too), and "you may only use this in the manner that benefits us" in the case of DRM in general and all like it. This last hasn't yet tainted Apple too badly, but it's rampant everywhere else.

If only a smarter, less obnoxious company than Psystar had been the one to push this matter..
post #100 of 108
I've got one...

...bring in Lauren to sell it!




Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

So... amend the EULA to effectively legalize cloning.... then spend millions of dollars explaining why the clones are crap.

Got any more brilliant ideas Nikon?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #101 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

other part wants Psystar to win so there can be more competition

Have you seen how many other computer manufacturers there are in existence?
Have you seen how many other operating systems and version of operating systems there are out there?

Apple has plenty of competition.
post #102 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Have you seen how many other computer manufacturers there are in existence?
Have you seen how many other operating systems and version of operating systems there are out there?

Apple has plenty of competition.

No no, you miss the point. Apple must be made to compete against itself, or there's no justice in the world.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #103 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

There are many things you must keep in mind of why PC laptops are so cheap and apple will NEVER be able to produce them.

Sorry but you are wrong. Apple very much could produce cheaper laptops. they are perfectly able to do so.

but they choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I want a desktop hard drive, a desktop processor that I can change out and over clock, I want standard drives and be able to install a blue-ray drive if i wish. I want to be able to upgrade to USB3 when it comes out, or install a new networking card. I want to be able to use a standard graphics card that isn't specially built for Mac, and more so I want SLI or CrossFire. I want this in a smallish desktop form factor. Apple doesn't sell this. I want all this AND OSX, but that's not a possiblitiy through Apple... so then what do I do?

you are one of what I call the SuperGeeks. the highly techno users of all things (computers, smartphones, televisions etc) that make up about 5 (maybe 10)% of Apple's user base. one of those that says that anything less than 1080 is NOT HD and it's a sin to call it that, who will always find something to complain about that Apple isn't doing that you think they should, because (in your wise opinion) they are stupid not to. and so on

sorry to say it but they don't focus on you. they focus on the other 90-95% who only think of their tv when they buy blu-rays, who can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080, who only care that they can build a little family website, not that the coding is bloated, who want to edit that home movie of the kids, not make a blockbuster, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I understand that Apple cannot make computers for all people. I don't think they should make computers for everyone. No computer maker really does. I think a good idea would be to have two divisions. Apple computers just how they are now. Then the "build it yourself" model.

how is this different than the whole cloning fiasco. aside from the fact that Apple had to support those authorized clones.

for the record, Apple doesn't go around and knock on every house and check that you didn't build a hackintosh for your own use. just like they don't randomly walk up and demand folks let them inspect that they didn't unlock/jailbreak their iphones. they don't make you sign 20 pages of legelese that you aren't buying that retail copy to "build it yourself". if you want to build one yourself and you think you can do it and make OS X work on it, great. just keep it to yourself. don't go putting the instructions online, making that DCMA violating bootloader available for folks to download etc. yes by letter you are still breaking the law, but you aren't going to get caught if you don't brag about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Yeah right. And when these people that are building their own macs run into problems and apple refuses to support them because "hey we told you this Mac OS really only runs on our HW" they'll be perfectly happy with that response? Apple would get sued left right and center.

actually they wouldn't. because the folks building those machines know they tampered with the software etc and won't get support.

now who is the problem is these illegal iphone resellers. I'll put down good money that they have unlocked the phones and aren't telling the buyers that there's no warranty or that any updates to the software will kill the phone. And without that info, they will blame Apple when the phone fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No no, you miss the point. Apple must be made to compete against itself, or there's no justice in the world.

No, you are the one that has missed the point. there is no such thing as a Macintosh Computer Market. which is what Psystar tried to claim when they tossed AntiTrust at Apple.

but the market is Personal Computing Systems, if which Apple is a merely 8% (give or take a percent). as such, the courts have validated that due to a lack of market power, Apple can do whatever they want in regards to tying hardware and software.

now when they get to more like 40-50%, the issue becomes dicey and the courts might say otherwise, which is part of why I don't think Apple is in all that much of a rush to push their share growth too hard. thus why no cheap ass computers etc
post #104 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No, you are the one that has missed the point. there is no such thing as a Macintosh Computer Market. which is what Psystar tried to claim when they tossed AntiTrust at Apple.

I'm sorry, this was only my first post on this subject, so that must be why you completely missed my meaning.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #105 of 108
Aside from the IP and legal issues, these are the reasons why Apple persists--and should persist--in their approach:

If you make a new technology an option or an alternative, it tends to languish. If you want it adopted, make it standard across hardware to the extent possible. Then it becomes part of the platform infrastructure. For example, Apple and others can integrate camera support into their apps secure in the knowledge that there are millions of people with a built-in camera. Apple can advertise video chat because there are millions of people to chat with (interesting how the PC side has languished in picking up AIM voice chat despite the proliferation of Windows-compatible webcams, isn't it?). This applies at the chipset level, too: By shipping Core Image and its siblings, Apple have now encouraged a record number of apps using chips other than the CPU for work, a far cry from the orphaned DSP unit in the old Quadra 840AV. All of this makes the software environment richer and more consistent.

How do you effectively define, maintain and extend a platform's infrastructure? You control the hardware.

It's easier to ensure quality. That's not to say that Apple never drops the ball on QC, but any problem they have is limited and the fix is usually as straightforward as it will ever be. The overwhelming majority of crashes, slowdowns, and other nuisances on Windows have come from the vast proliferation of drivers, many of which are sketchy software supporting sketchy hardware. Drivers are a particularly nasty issue, because in an open platform anyone can write them and they have to run in system memory with system privileges--they can't be isolated from the critical parts of the system the way an application can. Drivers have a near-limitless capacity to cause damage and mischief, which is why it's crucial for any platform to have the least possible number of them, and to have them as well written and tested as possible. A company with absolute control over the hardware in the box can assure this. An open platform cannot. (USB has also helped a lot by putting a generic driver between the system and any hardware, which makes for fewer potential crashes than in the days when hardware was physically plugged in to the board and required a custom driver in every case.)

It's easier to write software and design hardware. "Good programming is intelligent laziness," and any feature which requires effort to implement has to guarantee a payoff or it will languish no matter how beautiful it looks on paper. This is true of engineering as well. No-one is building hardware chips to accelerate Ogg Theora because there are no obvious customers. No-one built USB printers while every PC shipped with a printer port; it took a popular computer with only a USB port to force the issue, and that only worked because there was an installed base of millions of PCs that had heretofore unused USB ports. While AltiVec had to be hand-coded, and while it was only on some of Apple's machines, it languished. And so on. The more consistent and universal the interface--hardware and software--the easier it is to design for and the more worthwhile it is to take advantage of all of its features. This applies to game programming as well: John Carmack loved the old CRT iMac as a development target (hardware-wise; he had no love for the old Mac OS and I don't blame him) because it was so consistent that it was like targeting a console.

As consumer options increase linearly, the work necessary to support them increases geometrically. A few options are fine; too many are unsustainable. Most game developers, as much as they love hardware that pushes the envelop, would just as soon develop for an ocean of 9600GT Mobility chips. They would only have to test their game on one GPU! Huzzah!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #106 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

A company with absolute control over the hardware in the box can assure this. An open platform cannot. (USB has also helped a lot by putting a generic driver between the system and any hardware, which makes for fewer potential crashes than in the days when hardware was physically plugged in to the board and required a custom driver in every case.)

Wholeheartedly agree. Utilization of encapsulation and abstraction are simply proper engineering practices.

Having had a source code contract several years ago to test the feasibility of slenderizing and embedding Windows 3.1 on a customer's target hardware, we had a close-up example of the dearth of software engineering concepts and the inevitable scalability and portability growth issues, portending significant future maintenance issues for MS.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #107 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why is it so hard to put someone who is clearly making knock off Macs out of business? And why do Psystar even bother to fight, surely they know they must lose. Do they seriously think they can pull the wool over the eyes of a judge.

On the other hand, some idiot judge banned sales of Word a few days ago, so there's some weird ones out there.

If you had bother to actually READ the articles on the case you would have seen that Judge Leonard Davis of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas had ruled Microsoft had willfully infringed on i4i's patent and that was the reason for the ban.
post #108 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

"Psystar's counsel stated that Psystar's e-mail and customer support software (SupportSuite) randomly 'deletes or loses' e-mails."

Brilliant!

Brilliantly stupid is more like it. I am sure that if any such bug exists in SupportSuite, Kayako would know about it and had it fixed ASAP. Never mind that putting the blame elsewhere adds the risk that the company you are talking about keeps much better records and can come after you for possible defamation using said records.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accuses Psystar of destroying evidence in latest court filing