or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple attempted to silence newspaper profile of Steve Jobs

Apple attempted to silence newspaper profile of Steve Jobs - Page 3

post #81 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

We all remember what a Jobs-less Apple looked like, something called beleaguered and dying.

that was what 10-12 years ago. Steve came back, cleaned house and has hand picked, trained and supervised a good 90% if not 100% of the top staff. you can bet that those folks know exactly what he's thinking and planning and are in the game. very much unlike when he left the first time.
post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Exactly

I disagree. If you have contacts synced in multiple places, and the contact information is the same in all of them, the system should be smart enough to know not to duplicate the entries. From a user's perspective this is a bug. Contact syncs should be based on content not source, e.g. I should not get the same contact multiple times just because it is coming through multiple sources. Badgering users and making out like they are dummies for having the audacity to have check-boxes checked in multiple-programs is silly.

How dare those users expect software to behave sensibly!
post #83 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Or even Sam Walton.

you mean the Sam Walton that started a company that was and might still be totally anti-union. so anti-union that there are reports of spies being sent into stores and such to look for signs of attempts to unionize and anyone guilty of even uttering the world was let go. people being paid barely above minimum wage, keep on part time so they didn't have to get benefits, not getting decent cost of living raises or merit raises.

that Sam Walton (don't even get me started on his tactics for running smaller shops out of business). yeah, a real saint. NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

apparently i'm not the only one

a lot of the same complaints on the apple support forums, macrumors forums and others

a fair number of those complainers are probably duplicates. it's not uncommon for folks to be on several boards and post the same comments on all of them.

also, consider how many complaints there are against how many devices there are. is it really that many or are we talking about another 15 incidents out of 175k devices made sort of deal. there's was what 15 million phones sold in 2008, add to that the phones this year and in 2007 and we are talking probably an easy 20 million. these 'bug' posts are maybe 1000 devices. not bad numbers really. after all, no product as detailed as a smart phone or a computer is going to be 100% perfect in all models. s--- happens.
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I disagree. If you have contacts synced in multiple places, and the contact information is the same in all of them, the system should be smart enough to know not to duplicate the entries. From a user's perspective this is a bug. Contact syncs should be based on content not source, e.g. I should not get the same contact multiple times just because it is coming through multiple sources. Badgering users and making out like they are dummies for having the audacity to have check-boxes checked in multiple-programs is silly.

How dare those users expect software to behave sensibly!

OS X 10.5.7 wasn't smart enough to not duplicate the info for me when I moved from a Windows 7 machine to a Mac with my iPhone. I had my contacts synced with Google Sync on my iPhone. When I moved to the Mac, Address Book duplicated my contacts so now they are doubled up.

I had to manually select Google Sync contacts instead of All Contacts on my iPhone to stop the duplications from being displayed on my iPhone.
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's also pretty standard "yellow journalism" tactics to include in your article, heavily dramatised descriptions of the subjects, reacting to you doing the article. In this case a simple statement from Apple PR is made out to be some kind of implied threat, and a standard phone call to a newspaper letting them know that you don't like the character assassination turns into them "trying to stop" our intrepid reporter, who of course comes out like a hero.

This kind of crap reporting was already old in the 1940's.

And yet there are still those falling for it - one just has to read some of the comments in this thread
post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reportedly, the Apple co-founder became bored with the candidate and began asking him questions about when he lost his virginity and how many times he's taken LSD. Finally, the multi-billionaire allegedly began gobbling like a turkey at the candidate before the job-seeker acknowledged he was not the right person for the position.

Appleyard must have written his article right after he finished watching "Pirates of Silicon Valley".
post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This sounds like a "user error" kind of bug to me.

It's not totally clear from your description, but if you are syncing from an Exchange server, then you should be already syncing your contacts. If you then also checked off the box in iTunes to sync to your contacts from your local Outlook account, your online Google account, or the same Exchange account, then for sure you will get multiple copies of contacts.

The same happens even if you use MobileMe, because Mobileme (like exchange) syncs all of your contacts, email etc. automatically as one. Once you have a service like MobileMe or Exchange handling all that for you, those check boxes in iTunes should all be left clear. Otherwise, you are pointedly asking the thing to "double-sync" with multiple sources.

This is not so much a bug as merely a less than crystal-clear set of instructions in the "info" page in the iTunes/iPhone syncing GUI.

What happened to it just works? Shouldn't be a big deal for apple to detect if the contacts have the same info and not make duplicates. My outlook does that already. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it on my blackberry but we have an older version of bes and I'm not sure if it has over the air sync of contacts like microsoft does with active sync
post #88 of 117
It's embarrassing, when the great thundering Times has become a gossip magazine. That's what Rupert is doing to it.

If you like the products, you can see the profits and losses, why do you want to see what Steve eats for breakfast? Want to see a videotape of his operation? Our media are turning us into a bunch of hypnotized readers of celebrity news.

And this idiot wants to diagnose the "narcissistic personality" from afar? Hey, I got a diagnosis for him: he's the kind of moron who works for Woopert Murdoch.
post #89 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

It's embarrassing, when the great thundering Times has become a gossip magazine. That's what Rupert is doing to it.

All part of his plan to charge for all of his "news" websites by next year. His only hope is to publish sensationalized "news", holding on to the pipe dream that people will actually pay his pathetic online subscription fees for this kind of tripe.

I wonder if he ever feels like the last holdout horse-and-buggy dealer with that dying news empire of his.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeriogal View Post

Greetings from ruthless México where a REAL dictatorship is being held by the party in power (not that any of you gringos would be aware of or would actually care about).

The only racist thing I've seen on this thread is the term "gringo"
post #91 of 117
I wish I am lucky enough to work with such a gifted person. All these criticisms I look at as jealousy and nothing more.

Name a person who created so much fun for so many people. If Apple is a cult, I am happy to be one the devotees. And the man who made it all possible is my hero.

If he is so bad, why even research and write about him? Stupid gossipers masquerading as journalist. Can't believe myself after reading this trash on Times online.
post #92 of 117
silencing journalists is a very honourable thing, seeing as 95% of them are lying, greedy, uneducated, know all, manipulative, blackmailing idiots (and the list of adjectives could have go one for pages...they make it easy.) Apologies to the decent 5%.

They print these stories just to get a big hand out and few macs to go along (because they are to cheap to purchase the macs with the big hand out )

For some really inspiring moments watch Steve's commencement speech.
post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I am Brazilian, so we know pretty much about Ernesto. He did everything but "something for the poor of this world". He was a ruthless dictator who brainwashed the population into thinking the way YOU think with his charisma.

So who do you think did worse by Latin America: Ernesto Guevara or the multitude of CIA-backed dictators like Augusto Pinochet?

post #94 of 117
"only make minimal, low-level software and they only do it *just* enough to add value to the hardware"

er no actually. The pro software apple makes such as final cut pro, aperture and the dominating logic are hardly low level. Iphone is really all about software when you compare it to other smartphones. To say Dell is anywhere near that level of sophistication with software is just plain wrong. The majority of their business is boxing up and selling on windows and parts from other suppliers. Nothing wrong with that though, I just don't like their hardware or choice of operating system. I have two dells for the record.
post #95 of 117
On the whole I thought the article was interesting in parts albeit a bit negative and biased against Steve but why not judge for yourself at http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...ffset=0&page=1
post #96 of 117
Quote:

Not only were you not racist, the characterization of Che was spot on. The man was a ruthless killer, no matter how much the media wants to romanticize him. He was a man who would put a gun to your head, the heads of your wife and children, and blow all of your brains out if you didn't share his ideology or if it were convenient for him as a means to make a point. He once stated that if the soviet union had given Cuba the reigns to the nuclear missiles they stationed there during the cuban missile crisis, they (meaning Che and his cohorts) would have used them. He meant it. So, there is your hero: a murderous thug who would happily have incinerated literally millions of innocent people (and perhaps extinguished the human race) over his ideology.

What is amiss, of course, is the comparison of steve Jobs to THAT.

You refer to the Cuban missile crisis. Last time I checked, Fidel Castro was the man in charge of Cuba back then, not "Che and his cohorts". Did you mean Castro?
post #97 of 117
Quote:

I take it as racist because every time a latin-american person is portrayed in US media they are bogged down. I bet that if Che had been canadian they would not have used "ruthless dictator".

BTW Che was never a dictator, maybe they are confusing him with his pal Fidel. And if overthrowing a US imposed real dictator (which is what Batista was) and standing up for the oppressed made him ruthless than I am ruthless as well at least in thought, anyway.

Greetings from ruthless México where a REAL dictatorship is being held by the party in power (not that any of you gringos would be aware of or would actually care about).

Please that so bloody untrue, you sensitive pooor boy, I could say that and I am Black, a Indian could say that.

Please let get pass this sensitive society crap that USA had developed and pushing on the world, due to their issues. If you fart in USA, you are being racist to the air!
post #98 of 117
Quote:

I take it as racist because every time a latin-american person is portrayed in US media they are bogged down. I bet that if Che had been canadian they would not have used "ruthless dictator".

BTW Che was never a dictator, maybe they are confusing him with his pal Fidel. And if overthrowing a US imposed real dictator (which is what Batista was) and standing up for the oppressed made him ruthless than I am ruthless as well… at least in thought, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

The only racist thing I've seen on this thread is the term "gringo"

The pot calling the kettle black then.

Also, Steve isn't Latino, and dictatorships aren't an idea exclusive to Latin America. I suppose making any reference to Nazis is racist against Germans, because we so rarely think of anything else the Germans did without thinking of that era.
post #99 of 117
Quote:

there was an article in the NY Times today about how MS currently has 850 PhD's working for them doing a lot of basic research. Google has some of the top computer scientists working for them as well. In fact Google poached a lot of the smart MS people back around the turn of the decade. Their products might not be as pretty as Apple's, but technically they are very complicated to pull off.

how many people does Apple have who regularly publish research papers? Apple is a systems integrator that makes polished products from available technology. Kind of like Dell

A profitable Dell with some geniuses working for it, making its own OS and equipment, which is world-class design, with big profit margins instead of being in the red. In otber words, not like Dell.
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

The candidate probably told him "See you later - jive turkey!"

"How many times have you done acid?" Heck, you can't ask someone if they are a US citizen nowadays.

Not all that believable, but funny! Why would he want the guy to not like him? He was doing the hiring!

Only this was about 1978. The "incident" is a scene in Pirates of Silicon Valley. The character came in spouting the usual business-school jargon. Jobs wasn't interested.
post #101 of 117
Quote:

there was an article in the NY Times today about how MS currently has 850 PhD's working for them doing a lot of basic research. Google has some of the top computer scientists working for them as well. In fact Google poached a lot of the smart MS people back around the turn of the decade.

I remember when Microsoft hired Nathan Myhrvold as their uber-genius-type CTO. He was just going to think up great stuff, you know, out of the blue. I wonder how that worked out... Hmm... Last I heard, he was buying patents for a patent troll venture he founded.

Being smart != being creative.

Quote:

Their products might not be as pretty as Apple's, but technically they are very complicated to pull off.

Which brings to mind this quote from El Jobso:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs (2003)

Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like.

People think it’s this veneer — that the designers are handed this box and told, "Make it look good!" That’s not what we think design is.

It’s not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.

post #102 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

silencing journalists is a very honourable thing, seeing as 95% of them are lying, greedy, uneducated, know all, manipulative, blackmailing idiots (and the list of adjectives could have go one for pages...they make it easy.) Apologies to the decent 5%

As Henry Kissinger once said, "95% of the politicians give the other 5% a bad name."
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

So who do you think did worse by Latin America: Ernesto Guevara or the multitude of CIA-backed dictators like Augusto Pinochet?

They were both equally bad.

What's your point?
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

You refer to the Cuban missile crisis. Last time I checked, Fidel Castro was the man in charge of Cuba back then, not "Che and his cohorts". Did you mean Castro?

Learn history my friend - Guevara earned the nickname 'Castro's Brain' for good reason. He was an instrumental part of Castro's 26th of July movement, and was second in command during the insurgency in Cuba that deposed Batista. After the revolution, he served in the new Cuban government as minister of industries, national bank president, and training director for Cuba's armed forces. More interestingly, he oversaw the appeals process and the firing squads, and personally oversaw the executions of hundreds of prisoners. During the war, he was feared as a ruthless disciplinarian who would execute defectors without hesitation, and who would send out execution squads to dispose of revolutionaries who decided to quit fighting, whom he considered to be traitors. He became feared for his summary executions of those accused of being spies, informers, or deserters, conducted without trials. As for the Cuban missile crisis, Guevara was the architect of Soviet-Cuban relations. He played a key role in bringing the missiles to Cuba.

A lot of self-described leftists and anti-government types have embraced Che without possessing any knowledge at all regarding just what sort of man he actually was. Che is not a snazzy image on a t-shirt - the man was a brutal killer.

I encourage you to read up on Che just a little - you clearly don't know much about him, as you were unaware of his significant involvement with Cuba. Wikipedia has a lengthy article on him - start there.
post #105 of 117
If they give out awards for thread drift, I nominate this one.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

In any event, the next keynote Steve gives, everyone gobble for one minute and let's see what the Stevester does...

The image of the cast of Arrested Development each doing their version of the chicken dance in the aisles of some presentation hall with Jobs on-stage. Oh, what I would pay to see Jobs react to that!
post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If they give out awards for thread drift, I nominate this one.

Your comment not-withstanding, of course. Only CERTAIN off-topic remarks are worthy of comment, I suppose.
post #108 of 117
Steve Jobs is Hitler. There, I said it.
post #109 of 117
Quote:

Your comment not-withstanding, of course. Only CERTAIN off-topic remarks are worthy of comment, I suppose.

Ah, I see. If someone posts lengthy diatribes with absolutely no relationship to the thread topic, then the equally guilty party is the one who points it out.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Ah, I see. If someone posts lengthy diatribes with absolutely no relationship to the thread topic, then the equally guilty party is the one who points it out.

Not my point at all, but I did find it to be ironic of you to do so.

Here is the problem I have with what you said: You have essentially appointed yourself as moderator of this forum; this isn't the first time you have complained about people being off-topic here. From my perspective you have staked out a position where you consider yourself to be the arbiter of what is germane or appropriate for discussion. But of course, you base that position only tenuously upon the original topic; the rest comes from your own ideas, interests, and perceptions. If someone had said something you felt strongly about, you would have waded in off topic or not. In the end, then, your use of words like 'diatribe' reflect your own biases more than they reflect the circumstances. To be fair, I understand what you are getting at - I just think you could have done it a little less abrasively and arrogantly.

To be clear, I was not the one who went off topic to begin with. However, someone posted a message that glorifies a historical figure who was objectively a murderous thug, and that kind of uninformed or willful misreading of history is something I feel very strongly about. If someone wrote here that the Holocaust never happened, I bet you would speak against that almost immediately. So of course, I said something about it, and would do so again.
post #111 of 117
Dr Millmoss is correct though, this thread has gotten more than a bit derailed. Some of it is interesting, but still, wandering a bit too far off topic.
post #112 of 117
Quote:

Not my point at all, but I did find it to be ironic of you to do so.

Here is the problem I have with what you said: You have essentially appointed yourself as moderator of this forum; this isn't the first time you have complained about people being off-topic here.

My argument here, in short: Pot, kettle, black.

Sorry, I really don't see how you're in the right here. Just pointing this out doesn't makes him a self-appointed moderator. If that's the case, by your own standard, harping on him about pointing this out would seem to suggest that you're appointing yourself as a moderator.

You seem to have taken it personally, it wasn't a specific indictment against any one person, and we're all guilty of it from time to time.

We tend to just let it go, but if it's about politics, that tends to get derailed quickly enough that I try to discourage it from getting too far out of hand.
post #113 of 117
Thank you. Irony has to be one of the most abused words in the English language. And no, I don't want to discuss that. Suffice to say, it isn't going off topic to remind the other participants in the forum that going off topic is... going off topic. You don't have to be a moderator to understand that concept. I was careful to not direct my remark to anyone in particular.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #114 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My argument here, in short: Pot, kettle, black.

Sorry, I really don't see how you're in the right here. Just pointing this out doesn't makes him a self-appointed moderator. If that's the case, by your own standard, harping on him about pointing this out would seem to suggest that you're appointing yourself as a moderator.

You seem to have taken it personally, it wasn't a specific indictment against any one person, and we're all guilty of it from time to time.

We tend to just let it go, but if it's about politics, that tends to get derailed quickly enough that I try to discourage it from getting too far out of hand.

I stand corrected - apologies.
post #115 of 117
Quote:

I stand corrected - apologies.

No problem, if I came across a bit aggressive myself, I'm sorry about that.
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As Henry Kissinger once said, "95% of the politicians give the other 5% a bad name."

Ha, ha, great quote!

I wonder where henry would position himself.
post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

The image of the cast of Arrested Development each doing their version of the chicken dance in the aisles of some presentation hall with Jobs on-stage. Oh, what I would pay to see Jobs react to that!

coca, coca co

thi tso tsi tso, tsi tso

a coudle doudle do

coucou tsa, cou cou cou tsa, tsa.

timeless tv lines...

I wish Buster and Annyong had do the chicken dance.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple attempted to silence newspaper profile of Steve Jobs