or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Poor bets placed on Apple taking dual tablet route in September
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor bets placed on Apple taking dual tablet route in September - Page 2

post #41 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

The iPhone/iPod touch already changed the computer industry forever, but I agree in that a tablet will again redefine computing. I believe this is especially true with regards to education . Some say the tablet will fail, I believe it will be a sucess on the same scale as the iPhone, with even greater potential. Not so sure about that built in rest though.. Not apple's style, but you never know.

I will have to agree here. Apple is in no way perfect and has had its share of failures in the past and maybe some in the future. What I like about Apple comes from Steve himself. Like when he mentioned his thoughts on the Netbook industry. He himself though Apple should wait as it didn't really see a market for it yet. Some of the greatest things from Apple wasn't when they were the first to market with a product. Unlike some companies that play the me too game Apple with the iPod join a losing market in the MP3 player market. When I would look for one before Apple came out with the iPod. I hated what was available. Apple didn't invent the MP3 player they did it right from their start.

Sometimes waiting to see what the next guy brings out is good because then you can show off what Apple can bring to the table. The Tablet, and Netbook are two computers that Apple hasn't made it to market yet. But the wait an see approach like with the music player may do for those markets what the iPod did. In all honesty, i myself a devoted Mac person hated the iPod when it came out. It wasn't until the iPhone came out that I actually liked it. And now I own my 2nd iPhone. When the first iMac's rolled out I thought they were butt ugly that green (Bondi Blue) was the ugliest thing I have seen Apple every release. I got hooked on the iMac when Apple released them in multicolor... When the iMac G4 came out another one I thought what the hell are they thinking... It took while before I began to like it.... then just when I was ready to dip in and by one they Switched to he G5 iMac. Another one I didn't like. I finally, got a new iMac when Apple released the Aluminum iMac's.

I like the idea behind the MacBook Air. I just wished Apple gave us better drives and speed. (in good time I am sure) and match the display with the other MacBook Pros. bring it down to the size of 12" Powebook G4 and thin as the Air is today and I am buying it! the hell with Rent LOL

::::
post #42 of 118
The 6" form-factor has never made sense to me.

It's still far too big to fit into a pocket, but it's also not big enough to be a real improvement on the iPhone/iPod for longer/more complex computing sessions.

And the idea that Apple (of all companies) will release a touch-based device that will run software designed for mouse/keyboard is still insane.
post #43 of 118
As predicted there will be no tablet announcement at the September iPod event. Just like as predicted there would be no MacBook announcements at the June WWDC ... Wait a second
post #44 of 118
Why is anyone thinking about a stylus? I can type about as fast as I can write and I <ferris bueller>never had one lesson</ferris>.

Was the stylus developed for handwriting recognition or for hitting the impossibly small interface elements of 1st gen palm devices?

Nevermind the stylus.
post #45 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I get your sarcasm, you missed mine.

your Over blown hissy fit about being off topic while you was even more off topic bitching about being off topic when if fact every thread here is off topic by the 4th post makes no sence . if ya gonna name your self after a planet or a country at least .....rinng rrring teckstud calling
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #46 of 118
I like the idea of a dual use format for the tablet like a mass produced one for industry and then a powerful graphic one for the gamers .
no stylus or matte options please

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #47 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

Why is anyone thinking about a stylus? I can type about as fast as I can write and I <ferris bueller>never had one lesson</ferris>.

Was the stylus developed for handwriting recognition or for hitting the impossibly small interface elements of 1st gen palm devices?

Nevermind the stylus.

Can you type a picture?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #48 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You couldn't be more wrong here.

The whole point of the device is that it's going to redefine what a "regular computer" is. You are making the same argument here that all the old command line geezers did when computers with GUI's started making headlines. It's also the same argument people made when laptops came out and didn't have "proper" keyboards or mice.

There already are and have been for some time tablet computers that use regular "desktop" OS's in both Windows and OS-X varieties. They are not that popular and have a lot of problems associated with their use. A tablet running regular "desktop" OS-X would likely be a failure as well.

Why would Apple spend all this time developing a completely separate version of OS-X that is specifically designed to be used with finger actuated, capacitive based, touch-screens and then release a new tablet product that uses that same hardware, but the old "desktop" version of the OS? Why would they confuse things by putting out some kind of hybrid "middle" variant between the two?

There is nothing missing from the iPhone version of OS-X that would stand in the way of it being an excellent choice for a tablet. The only mystery to me is how they are going to handle the obvious desire for pen input, or if they will just leave it out.

+++

Pen input is easy: You can build a serviceable, home-made, capacitive pen/stylus with:

-- aluminum foil
-- a thumbtack or brass paper fastener
-- a dowel, chopstick, wood pencil or pen barrel

Just wrap the dowel with the foil and stick the thumbtack through the foil onto the dowel. Make sure there is good contact between your hand, the foil, and the thumbtack.

The reason you need a thumbtack or paper fastener is that the surface area that touches the screen must be over 10 pixels in diameter to be recognized as a touch (anything less is rejected by the driver). You can get by with a tip about 1/4 inch diameter.

Apple could easily supply a touch-sensitive pen/stylus that transmits a BlueTooth signal. Then, the tablet device could recognize the proximity of the pen/stylus and configure itself to accept a smaller, more precise, touch area.

A couple of dollars worth of hardware and a few changes to the touchscreen driver and voila!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #49 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

The 6" form-factor has never made sense to me.

It's still far too big to fit into a pocket, but it's also not big enough to be a real improvement on the iPhone/iPod for longer/more complex computing sessions.

And the idea that Apple (of all companies) will release a touch-based device that will run software designed for mouse/keyboard is still insane.

The surface of a 3"x5" index card has a diagonal length of 5 3/4" and would be about 2 1/2 times the display area of the iPhone-- something like 800x480 pixels (at iPhone resolution).

This is a very useful display resolution and size. And a 25-pack of index cards slips easily into a shirt or pants pocket.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #50 of 118
I think Apple launching a tablet in the 1st quarter is absolutely brilliant.

Its the worst quarter for sales. Makes total sense not to do it during the highest sales quarter.

Jobs and company should be commended for such a brilliant move IMO.

post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

The 6" form-factor has never made sense to me.

It's still far too big to fit into a pocket, but it's also not big enough to be a real improvement on the iPhone/iPod for longer/more complex computing sessions.

That's because you have natural common sense.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #52 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

Why is anyone thinking about a stylus? I can type about as fast as I can write and I <ferris bueller>never had one lesson</ferris>.

Was the stylus developed for handwriting recognition or for hitting the impossibly small interface elements of 1st gen palm devices?

Nevermind the stylus.

Have you ever tried drawing a circle by typing characters?

How do you paint a picture? Draw an architectural diagram? Use bezier curves to outline an image mask? Measure the length of a line?

Type me a 3D picture of a soccer ball!

I need your signature to authorize this charge!


Sure, you could do all this with a QWERTY kb, but a stylus is a much better tool for these tasks
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #53 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

your Over blown hissy fit about being off topic while you was even more off topic bitching about being off topic when if fact every thread here is off topic..

The kiwi statement was pure sarcasm. Keep it on topic guys. The guys says "OFF TOPIC" then links to a website with a long article about Snow Leopard, when he knows full well where the Mac OS forum is. Hardly a hissy fit. Just like we can't have one simply discussion about Apple or its products for 5 minutes without someone mentioning the Zune, Microsoft or Steve Ballmer throwing a chair.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

There is an absolutely wild patent that Apple has where they use infrared sensors together with the capacitance sensors to detect "hand shapes" as your hands hover over the screen. In this scenario to switch to pen input, you put your hand like you are holding an "air pen" and the computer detects that and switches modes.

This would be brilliant of course, but to me it's so "science-fictiony" that I have trouble believing that it will actually work or that the patent isn't just some speculative thing like the one where they use a regular LCD as a camera.

Steve Jobs hates styluses, (but then he hates a lot of things), so maybe this will happen, but I'm not really certain at all and will be interested to see what they do. It seems to me that all other solutions are going to require some kind of stylus which will inevitably get lost.

If it works, this could be revolutionary. Moving around documents with your fingers, and then "writing" on them with either an air pen or any chopstick, french-fry, or pocky that's handy (if you have trouble making the gesture) would be the "Jesus interface" IMO. I've just had my Apple-dreams shattered so many times before that I refuse to get too involved with the idea until it seems more likely.

They could implicate a "virtual stylus". A graphic on the screen that has a spot for your finger and a graphical projection that extends out to a single pixel or cross hair...
post #55 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny View Post

They could implicate a "virtual stylus". A graphic on the screen that has a spot for your finger and a graphical projection that extends out to a single pixel or cross hair...

Quite possible. But if they are going to do such a thing wouldn't it make more sense to make their own stylus as an add-on for artists. That sort of thing could go nay which way, only Apple labs no for sure.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #56 of 118
Virgil, you bring up a good question. I had all but forgotten about this issue until someone brought it up to me a couple weeks ago... really, how can you have a tablet form factor and not allow for handwritten notes via a stylus of some sort?... it just seems odd... and yet, at the same time, I can't see them providing for it, as gung-ho as they are about "touch." It will be interesting to see if this is addressed, as well as people's desire for a real keyboard.

Also, AI, as much as I love the site, and I do... WE GET IT. You don't agree with the leaks, the tablet will be 10 inches, and it won't come out until the first quarter of '10. Seriously, it's kind of enough already. I have to tell y'all, considering the number of times you've hammered this point home by now, you're going to have some serious egg on your face should you be incorrect.

I still vote for a compromise. Announcement in Sept, available in January.

Cheers!
post #57 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

It is good that secrecy is generating all this distortion field... even though Apple may not be doing this directly. Keeps competitors like Palm, MSFT off their balance... keeps them day late and dollar short!

\\\\

there is no sin to compare with missing Christmas and fall sales with a new consumer electronics product with the potential of the tablet.. they must present it in September or they have missed an entire year of free press.. admittedly, there is no competition for what is coming - but still, the fall season is not to be missed. Apple is a CE company. A delay is for a very very important reason .. that is what should be speculated on and not the delivery itself.. what could delay the intro specifically.. it has to be the processor ... screens, hardware package.. etc etc are all in possible at any time..
post #58 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There will be one tablet, the base model will cost $999 (around 64GB SSD), it will have a 10.1" LCD screen, it will run Mac OS X touch, it will replace the MacBook (later in the year Apple will revoke the use of "Pro" in the MacBook lineup altogether). It will be demoed at CES 2010 or at a March 2010 Apple event. It will be targeted squarely at the consumer electronics market, but it will have full-blown computer capabilities. It will run a touch based version of Snow Leopard. It will not have a physical keyboard. It will contain a built-in rest on the back of the device. It will change the computer industry forever.

I still think that Apple has some feature or features (other than outstanding software) that will send this device over the top. It will have that little extra something that will help redefine the industry. I mean, if it it's gonna supplant the traditional notebook then it's going to have to be something really special....right?
In my view, that "something" will have to be a flexible display. I've just about given up on that idea.....for now.
But who knows. Perhaps Apple has something design idea in mind that none of us have thought of yet.
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

\\\\

there is no sin to compare with missing Christmas and fall sales with a new consumer electronics product with the potential of the tablet.. they must present it in September or they have missed an entire year of free press.. admittedly, there is no competition for what is coming - but still, the fall season is not to be missed. Apple is a CE company. A delay is for a very very important reason .. that is what should be speculated on and not the delivery itself.. what could delay the intro specifically.. it has to be the processor ... screens, hardware package.. etc etc are all in possible at any time..

Apple wants people to buy all their products. If they released everything before Christmas, budgets would dictate what consumers bought, so it does make sense to spread releases out. I think Apple's strategy of always releasing iPods before Christmas, and other products at other times makes a lot of sense as an iPod makes the most likely gift.

A tablet will generate a lot of hype whenever you release it and the vast majority will not be gifts. It makes sense to release it when sales are expected to be down. January is perfect because it is also the time when people buy themselves what they REALLY wanted for Christmas.

Edit: Of course you could be right and there is something specific holding up the process and they do desire an earlier launch. I still however, feel that there are plenty of valid reasons to plan for a January launch for this product.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Can't blame me for someone deliberately posting an OFF TOPIC post on an article, and having the brawn to call it OFF TOPIC. If it's off topic then we don't need to here about it in this post.

That time of the month, eh?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #61 of 118
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ns_report.html

Wonder why Bizweek got the hammer and earlier report is very similar gets AI approval?
post #62 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've finally figured out what Apple should call this new category/game changer:

Handy

post #63 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The surface of a 3"x5" index card has a diagonal length of 5 3/4" and would be about 2 1/2 times the display area of the iPhone-- something like 800x480 pixels (at iPhone resolution).

We're talking screen sizes here. Anything with a 6" diagonal screen is going to be in the neighborhood of 6.5" diagonal in physical size.

And I owned a nokia n800 for 2 years. I know very well how 'pocketable' it was, at only 144mm (5.6" to your index card's 5.8). Short of cargo-style pockets, it wasn't. Not usefully or comfortably.

The resulting minor bump in screen size also wasn't any more useful or comfortable for longer computing sessions.
post #64 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Conspiracy theories are for people with too much time in their hands. My thinking is watch what Apple does, not what they say. They lie constantly. When it comes to rumors, a good rule of thumb is to go with your gut and intelligence, and disregard most rumors outright.

Is that what you are doing? Honestly your tablet posts have more of a feel of wishful thinking than anything.
Quote:
When it came to phones it was obvious Apple was going to make one, they sort of had no choice. The tablet situation isn't so clear, so you need to feel the thing out a bit more, and use even more gut. Apple like to lead the way, and from the best information our there, the iPhone came from tablet prototypes and R&D.

Which can be read to say: Apple already makes tablets. That is exactly what iPhone and Touch are.
Quote:
I just get this feeling it's 100% real, and I've learned to trust such strong feelings in the past. 10.1" is the best size for this device, for many reasons, not the least of which, it clearly distinguishes it from the 3.5" iPhone, which my bet is something Apple will be desperate to do.

I'm not sure how you come up with this stuff, a 10" tablet is just about the worst size possible. Apple won't be desparate at all about distinguishing between this product and iPhone, because (this is obvious to some) iPhone is a CELL PHONE!
Quote:
They want to make this as clear as possible. This is not simply a bigger iPhone, it's a touch-screen Mac. From a marketing POV this distinction is HUGE.

I seriously doubt Apple would be so bold and stupid as to try to introduce a Touch screen Mac. There is to much history there to telll them it would be a failure. However open up the market to an entirely different product via iPhone OS and they might have a chance at success. In effect an attempt by Apple to deliver your Mac Touch OS would be a total waste when they are so far along with iPhone OS.

In any event it is very pathetic of you to bring up operating systems in this thread after jumping all over somebody else for posting about Snow Leopard. New hardware and new OSes kinda go together.


Dave
post #65 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You couldn't be more wrong here.

You obviously believe you have cornered the crystal ball market. Are you really Gene Munster in drag?

Quote:
Why would Apple spend all this time developing a completely separate version of OS-X that is specifically designed to be used with finger actuated, capacitive based, touch-screens and then release a new tablet product that uses that same hardware, but the old "desktop" version of the OS? Why would they confuse things by putting out some kind of hybrid "middle" variant between the two?

Because the touch OS is not enough to dominate the netbook market.

Quote:
There is nothing missing from the iPhone version of OS-X that would stand in the way of it being an excellent choice for a tablet.

You mean apart from a proper file system, Flash player and a few other inconsequentials of similar irrelevance?

Quote:
The only mystery to me is how they are going to handle the obvious desire for pen input, or if they will just leave it out.

Trust me, styli are the least of the mysteries you have failed to penetrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You have no idea at all do you?

Couldn't have put it better, your'e showing promise.
post #66 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

We're talking screen sizes here. Anything with a 6" diagonal screen is going to be in the neighborhood of 6.5" diagonal in physical size.

You can't make a blanket statement like that because you don't know what the aspect ratio is. For all you know Apple could have a square screen planned.
Quote:

And I owned a nokia n800 for 2 years. I know very well how 'pocketable' it was, at only 144mm (5.6" to your index card's 5.8). Short of cargo-style pockets, it wasn't. Not usefully or comfortably.

The N800 was also a thick btickish device. If Apple can deliver a device that is 3/8" thick with rounded edges it will be far more pocketable. In any event you are missing one important point, Apple already has pocketable tablets, this isn't to serve that market but rather those that still want portable but with a bigger screen.
Quote:

The resulting minor bump in screen size also wasn't any more useful or comfortable for longer computing sessions.

That might be the case but we are talking dramatically different screens here. More importantly the device would be targgeting a different kind of user. Such a unit would make an excellent gaming platform for example. Like it or not for many of us it would improve the E-Mail and net experience. Lastly and maybe more importantly it would allow for apps on a very portable platform that doesn't have the iPhones screen limitations.



Dave
post #67 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The kiwi statement was pure sarcasm. Keep it on topic guys. The guys says "OFF TOPIC" then links to a website with a long article about Snow Leopard, when he knows full well where the Mac OS forum is. Hardly a hissy fit. Just like we can't have one simply discussion about Apple or its products for 5 minutes without someone mentioning the Zune, Microsoft or Steve Ballmer throwing a chair.


i was only kidding
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #68 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You obviously believe you have cornered the crystal ball market. Are you really Gene Munster in drag?



Because the touch OS is not enough to dominate the netbook market.

Then you don't know what Touch OS is nor how powerful it is. Frankly there isn't a more feature filled tablet OS out there at the moment.
Quote:

You mean apart from a proper file system, Flash player and a few other inconsequentials of similar irrelevance?

Where does this crap come from? IPhone OS has a perfectly good file system, how else does it store all those files. It doesn't have a file system browser though, but really how hard would it be to write an app for that.

The problem with people that dis Iphone OS is that they have no imagination when it comes to the evolution of this interface for more capable tablets that iPhone. Give Apple a couple of faster cores, more RAM and that bigger screen and skys the limit.

One way to look at this is what would you be comfortable with as far as seeing features deleted from SL to fit into a tablet foot print? Going with iPhone OS allows them to grow the OS in a controlled way without the need to deal with legacy crap. IPone OS is the low baggage way to an innovative tablet.
Quote:


Trust me, styli are the least of the mysteries you have failed to penetrate.



Couldn't have put it better, your'e showing promise.



Dave
post #69 of 118
The images of potential tablet designs that I see seem to fall into two categories.

Tablets lying on a table - facing straight up and therefore useless.

Tablets propped up either on some kind of hinged A-frame or plugged into some kind of separate stand with a keyboard in front as another plug-in piece. I.e. a messy laptop not being used as a tablet.

Setting aside the specialist uses such as a doctor sitting on a patient's bed or someone in the field using it (briefly) as clipboard, how is a computer meant to be used in its tablet mode for any length of time that could justify any likely price?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #70 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You couldn't be more wrong here.

The whole point of the device is that it's going to redefine what a "regular computer" is. You are making the same argument here that all the old command line geezers did when computers with GUI's started making headlines. It's also the same argument people made when laptops came out and didn't have "proper" keyboards or mice.

There already are and have been for some time tablet computers that use regular "desktop" OS's in both Windows and OS-X varieties. They are not that popular and have a lot of problems associated with their use. A tablet running regular "desktop" OS-X would likely be a failure as well.

Why would Apple spend all this time developing a completely separate version of OS-X that is specifically designed to be used with finger actuated, capacitive based, touch-screens and then release a new tablet product that uses that same hardware, but the old "desktop" version of the OS? Why would they confuse things by putting out some kind of hybrid "middle" variant between the two?

There is nothing missing from the iPhone version of OS-X that would stand in the way of it being an excellent choice for a tablet. The only mystery to me is how they are going to handle the obvious desire for pen input, or if they will just leave it out.

The only thing I can add here is that iPhone OS is the low impact way to a tablet OS. You just have to imagine it being fleshed out a bit.


Dave
post #71 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure how you come up with this stuff, a 10" tablet is just about the worst size possible. Apple won't be desparate at all about distinguishing between this product and iPhone, because (this is obvious to some) iPhone is a CELL PHONE!

You just proved my point. "this is obvious to some"

That's not good enough. It has to be clear to everyone, and not just for marketing reasons (definitely for marketing reasons though), but also for more fundamental reasons too, like why do we need this device in our lives? Why does it exist? What's it design for really etc. It has to be fundamentally different to those small touch screen devices, and not just with regards to size.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i was only kidding

I'm cool, sunglasses.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #73 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

We're talking screen sizes here. Anything with a 6" diagonal screen is going to be in the neighborhood of 6.5" diagonal in physical size.

And I owned a nokia n800 for 2 years. I know very well how 'pocketable' it was, at only 144mm (5.6" to your index card's 5.8). Short of cargo-style pockets, it wasn't. Not usefully or comfortably.

The resulting minor bump in screen size also wasn't any more useful or comfortable for longer computing sessions.

1) Who says 6" is the actual screen size. It's a rumor! People round these numbers to the nearest whole number! For example, the actual diagonal measure of my iMac 17" , iMac 24" and my 23" studio display are slightly less than the published sizes (approx 1/4 inch less)

2) The device could be designed so that the screen occupies the entire surface (less a 1/16 bezel)

3) the actual dimension of a 3"x5" index card is 3.00"x5.00", not the 5.8 you claim.

4) the diagonal measure of a 3"x5:" index card is 5 7/8".

So, the surface on a 3"x5" index card would contain a 5 5/8" display with a 1/16 inch bezel). A stack of about 30-40 index cards is about as thick as as iphone.

And, this pack of cards easily fits into a T-shirt, dress shirt or jeans pocket. AIR, it is smaller than a pack of long-size cigarettes (which those pockets were designed to hold).
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #74 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The images of potential tablet designs that I see seem to fall into two categories.

Tablets lying on a table - facing straight up and therefore useless.

Tablets propped up either on some kind of hinged A-frame or plugged into some kind of separate stand with a keyboard in front as another plug-in piece. I.e. a messy laptop not being used as a tablet.

Setting aside the specialist uses such as a doctor sitting on a patient's bed or someone in the field using it (briefly) as clipboard, how is a computer meant to be used in its tablet mode for any length of time that could justify any likely price?

Which is exactly why I have been clear about this over and over again. This device will have "a rest" built right into the back of it. This rest could be popped in FLUSH, staying out of site, or popped out, allowing you to rest said tablet at around 20º (or less) on any flat surface. Notice I'm not referring to it as a stand, because it's not exactly what you might call a stand. Pop in the rest when fiddling with the tablet on the bus or walking, and then when at a desk or table etc. you'd pop out this rest so you could browse your files, the web, watch videos or do some typing.

As always, if you do serious tying for your job there's always laptops, Apple also sells those.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #75 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

We're talking screen sizes here. Anything with a 6" diagonal screen is going to be in the neighborhood of 6.5" diagonal in physical size.

And I owned a nokia n800 for 2 years. I know very well how 'pocketable' it was, at only 144mm (5.6" to your index card's 5.8). Short of cargo-style pockets, it wasn't. Not usefully or comfortably.

The resulting minor bump in screen size also wasn't any more useful or comfortable for longer computing sessions.

did that Nokia have a device with the entire front face as the display? I'm assuming Apple's 6 inch screened device might actually be smaller.
post #76 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You couldn't be more wrong here.

The whole point of the device is that it's going to redefine what a "regular computer" is. You are making the same argument here that all the old command line geezers did when computers with GUI's started making headlines. It's also the same argument people made when laptops came out and didn't have "proper" keyboards or mice.

There already are and have been for some time tablet computers that use regular "desktop" OS's in both Windows and OS-X varieties. They are not that popular and have a lot of problems associated with their use. A tablet running regular "desktop" OS-X would likely be a failure as well.

Why would Apple spend all this time developing a completely separate version of OS-X that is specifically designed to be used with finger actuated, capacitive based, touch-screens and then release a new tablet product that uses that same hardware, but the old "desktop" version of the OS? Why would they confuse things by putting out some kind of hybrid "middle" variant between the two?

There is nothing missing from the iPhone version of OS-X that would stand in the way of it being an excellent choice for a tablet. The only mystery to me is how they are going to handle the obvious desire for pen input, or if they will just leave it out.

I couldn't be more wrong? Then please prove me more wrong with evidence. (Personally, I don't like that tone you have with me. I may disagree with you a lot, but at least I will respect you and your opinions. I won't ever tell you that you are wrong, no matter how much I disagree with you, unless you say something contrary to well known facts.)

Anyhow, I think the mouse is going to go away soon. With multi touch, fingers directly working with the screen is definitely the way to go. We could do so much more, especially in the arts, if we used our hands ON the screen instead of manipulating a mouse.

As for a keyboard, I really don't see that going away soon. Speech to type software is good and all, but we are yet to get to the "Computer, cross reference Mozart's works with Hayden's works and find similarities" star trek stuff. I think that's the way it will go, but we aren't there yet. I can manipulate the computer using my voice some what, but it never does exactly what I tell it to do, and if there is background noise it gets very confused very quickly. Keyboards are here to stay for a while. Mice I think are on the way out.

By the way, the iPhone/iPod touch still have a keyboard technically. That part isn't revolutionary (heck, the old Newtons had on screen keyboards, and the Palms, and the Windows Mobiles, and etc...) but my personal preference would to NOT have to type on a pure touch screen keyboard. I personally like the tactile feel of a keyboard. Others do not. I would love to ditch the mouse, other's feel very comfortable with it. Personal preference.

I don't think the tablets did well was because they were priced too high, and the screen was too glitchy. Handwriting recognition wasn't that great. The pen thing was more of a gimmick than something to actually use. I do think however, people liked that it was a standard OS and so could use standard programs on the device instead of having to purchase a whole new set of programs with their new computer. The technology just wasn't' there yet. These days, I think we have it (minus handwriting recognition). Even the Palm handwriting (and Newton) had its limitations in speed. And those weren't standard OSs. Both didn't do too well. The phone coupled with the PIM feature however did take off, so that does help prove your point.

I just don't think it would be smart to release a tablet that uses the iPhone OS. Its capable, but we also have seen how limited the OS is by Apple's doing. My argument was more about that fact than about innovation. I want to see something that can use standard OS X programs, just like a netbook uses a standard OS and can run standard programs too. I feel that if Apple doesn't do this, although there will be a lot of sales due to initial Gotta-Have-Everything-Apple mentality from its die hard fans, it will quickly die out if it doesn't have OS X.

But I am not wrong, I just differ in opinion. Thank you.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #77 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The images of potential tablet designs that I see seem to fall into two categories.

Tablets lying on a table - facing straight up and therefore useless.

Well obviously tablets can lay on their backs. The question is why do you consider that position to be useless? Granted an LCD in that position would be but there are alternative display choices that would make viewing in that orientation possible.

In such a position it would be like reading a paper or magazine on the morning coffe table. Like the paper you might pick it up to parse something in detail after finishing breakfast but it would hardly be useless. As long as the screen can offfer similar legibility being on it's back is not a problem.
Quote:
Tablets propped up either on some kind of hinged A-frame or plugged into some kind of separate stand with a keyboard in front as another plug-in piece. I.e. a messy laptop not being used as a tablet.

Honestly I haven't seen many indications that that is an approach people would take. I will be the first to suggest that for many people they will be better off with a laptop. It all comes down to the idea that a tablet won't make it if people think of it as a laptop replacement. Tablets have to be seen as a new approach to personal computing and the delivery of media.
Quote:

Setting aside the specialist uses such as a doctor sitting on a patient's bed or someone in the field using it (briefly) as clipboard, how is a computer meant to be used in its tablet mode for any length of time that could justify any likely price?

First let me say that you must have a very limited view of what the work world is like if you think that Doctors are the only people that work away from a desk. There are numerous applications where a tablet would allow for transient use in the "field". Not everybodies computer needs involve long sessions in front of a computer screen.

Then we have media. Such a device would be ideal for subscriptions to magazines and newspapers or for starting the morning with a free service like Yahoo. Of course other services like Video and music are a possibility.

In the end though I think it will be the Internet standbys that drive adoption. That is E-Mail, Web and social networking that drive sales. For portable connectivity this is where the 6" device comes into play, it is big enough to enhance these services over iPhone yet small enough to keep close by. I really have a hard time believing a 10" device would be useful here especially when a laptop can be had to do the same thing.



This brings us to my position and that is that I hope this 6" class device is a realty as I don't see a lot of room for success in 10" class tablet size. The large device becomes harder to handle and gives up the functionality of the clam shel laptop design. For tablets to be successful they need to be easy to handle and keep close by. Since a 10" device here offers nothing over a clam shell netbook I think Apple will have a hard time with sales. So yeah they better have a two pronged approach here other wise they may have a giant flop on their hands.

Comparatively any ways. I could see Apple selling millions of a six inch class device per quarter where as a 10" device will be lucky to hit hundreds of thousands after early adopter stupidity. Especially when portability and functionality are taken into account. It is just that a ten inch tablet actually makes some usages more difficult than on a smaller tablet or even on a netbook.


Dave
post #78 of 118
Quote:
Conspiracy theories are for people with too much time in their hands.

Good points, but you guys (blokes) are incorrectly using the word "conspiracy." A single company attempting to tweak the rumor mill is not a conspiracy, unless you wish to refer to Apple employees collectively, conspiring to do so, but that's a stretch.
post #79 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Then you don't know what Touch OS is nor how powerful it is. Frankly there isn't a more feature filled tablet OS out there at the moment.

Where does this crap come from? IPhone OS has a perfectly good file system, how else does it store all those files. It doesn't have a file system browser though, but really how hard would it be to write an app for that.

The problem with people that dis Iphone OS is that they have no imagination when it comes to the evolution of this interface for more capable tablets that iPhone. Give Apple a couple of faster cores, more RAM and that bigger screen and skys the limit.

One way to look at this is what would you be comfortable with as far as seeing features deleted from SL to fit into a tablet foot print? Going with iPhone OS allows them to grow the OS in a controlled way without the need to deal with legacy crap. IPone OS is the low baggage way to an innovative tablet.




Dave



+++

Say you were to JailBreak your iPhone, and access it via a Mac or PC (FTP, SSH, etc). What you would see is a file structure that mimics the Mac OS X file structure.... the apps are stored (are you ready for this?) in the Applications folder. iPhone OS X is just Mac OS X thinned down and customized to support a single-user and a Touch UI. Things not needed for the device are not included to save on overhead, Some Mac OS X frameworks and APIs have been rewritten (extended, actually) to support things like Touch, GPS, accelerometers, Compass, etc.). Many of these have been migrated back into the Mac OS X.

From a programmer's viewpoint you have almost everything necessary to exploit the device hardware and software available. But, because the iPhone is an appliance and must provide, at a minimum, phone capability, Apple has made some things off limits for reasons of performance, battery drain, security, etc.

Each time Apple has added new hardware or software features (GPS, Video Camera, Copy/Paste, etc.) they have expanded the iPhone OS X in a very standard and disciplined way, These implementations are then ported back to the Mac OS X.

I fully expect Apple to announce devices with larger screens, more RAM, faster CPUs and GPUs. When they do, if it, then, makes sense to support multiple, overlapped, resizable windows... the iPhone OS X will be enhanced to support them. Actually, most of this support is already there, It is just not practical to use it on a small screen.

Almost every iPhone app already runs on an Intel Mac (the iphone simulator). The apps that won't run, largely, use features. like GPS. that aren't (yet) supported on the Mac (or Mac OS X).

Who knows, one day we may even see "Turn By Turn Driving Instructions" on that iMac... if it makes sense

It is a mistake to dismiss the iPhone OS X because of its size... Less is More!

Dick
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #80 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I don't think the tablets did well was because they were priced too high, and the screen was too glitchy. Handwriting recognition wasn't that great. The pen thing was more of a gimmick than something to actually use. I do think however, people liked that it was a standard OS and so could use standard programs on the device instead of having to purchase a whole new set of programs with their new computer. The technology just wasn't' there yet. These days, I think we have it (minus handwriting recognition). Even the Palm handwriting (and Newton) had its limitations in speed. And those weren't standard OSs. Both didn't do too well. The phone coupled with the PIM feature however did take off, so that does help prove your point.

I don't think the desktop OS is the asset you think it is, unless a non touch friendly OS and program set is an asset. It may have been alright on previous tablets because they still had a trackpad and a keyboard and could still be operated as an ordinary laptop. Take those components away and the operating system becomes a lot less user friendly.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Poor bets placed on Apple taking dual tablet route in September