or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Anyone here see "Behind Enemy Lines" yet? Should I?

Anyone here see "Behind Enemy Lines" yet? Should I?

post #1 of 7
You know, the Gene Hackman/Owen Wilson movie that started yesterday.

The trailer looks good and Hackman is one of my favorites. But how is the actual movie? Did it shoot its wad on the trailer or does it actually live up and entertain?

I got all weekend with nothing to do, so...

By the way, I've never gotten the official word on this: is Owen Wilson Luke Wilson's brother? They seem like they could be. If this is a widely known fact, I apologize...I must've missed that one.
post #2 of 7
I've heard good and not-so-good things about Behind Enemy Lines. Apparently Owen Wilson's storyline is OK, but Hackman's isn't.

The big "Owen Wilson gets shot down" suqenence is supposed to be excellent.

Add requisite jingoism and slo-mo action shots, stir, chill, then serve. Enjoy. :cool:
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #3 of 7
It's fortunately not a complete formula film. There are some dramatically redeeming scenes, Owen Wilson being shot down being one of them .
post #4 of 7
Any redeeming features for the stereotypically feminine viewer? My significant other is refusing to see it with me... :-/
post #5 of 7
Depends... does he do a walk-off with Hackman in this movie?
post #6 of 7
Okay, just saw it.

Ehhh...it's okay. I've seen worse; but I've certainly seen better.

Seemed a little stock and canned. Hackman seemed to be in it for a paycheck, sad to say. And I just don't buy Owen Wilson as a soldier. He's got too much of a combination of laidback stoner vibe, mixed with Craig Kilborn fratboy smirk to be convincing in that role, IMHO.

Not to mention a blatant non-regulation haircut which didn't help. And in a couple of scenes, the camera was focused on his face and he had his lips pursed and had such styled/set hair and obvious makeup on that he looked quite fruity and perhaps as if he were thinking of auditioning for a Duran Duran tribute band.

A couple of scenes of genuine tension and thrills, but not to the extent and duration the trailer makes it seem.

Nice footage of military hardware, particularly some aerial shots of an aircraft carrier and Marine choppers.

BTW, the Corps come off looking very good in this movie. Ooo-rah!

All in all, it's a solid 6.7 on Paul's Holiday Movie Meter. Worth a $5 matinee if you're out and about and are craving a bucket of movie popcorn. I wouldn't base an evening around it and pay full price for it though. It's not THAT good.
post #7 of 7
The airplane being shot down in the trailer looked cheesy and fake to me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Anyone here see "Behind Enemy Lines" yet? Should I?