Originally Posted by Logisticaldron
Yet again to make Wiggin and my argument for it, yet still to see that the machines you UAE for examples aren't using the same priced and quality components. How many times does it need to pointed out that comparing base specs does not mean they are the same component in price and quality?
Geez this is getting old...
There are only a few components in a computer.
- Processor - in all cases they are Gen-U-Wine Intel core 2 duo - in the XPS one they are EXACTLY the same chip. The Alienware is a BETTER chip. The lower end dell is simply .13 GHz lower clock speed. Are you telling me that the ones in the dells are the fake, low quality Intel chips i haven't been hearing about?
- Memory - there are only a few manufacturers out there and Dell and Apple both use them. we'd have to know which brand each has in it, but they are probably pretty much the same. You might be able to make a small argument about quality here, but I'm betting they are very comparable.
- Hard Drive - again there are only a few manufacturers - my iMac has a Western Digital in it. I'm not sure which one is in any specific macbook, but its gonna be a WD, Seagate, IBM, Hitachi, or Samsung, cause those are the only choices. Dell uses those brands too, and all are top brands and of comparable quality.
- Graphics Chip - all of the dell examples had BETTER graphics hardware. Both use either ATI or Nvidia. Both are good quality.
- Chipset - Both are likely the same Intel chipsets.
- Screen (since we're talking about laptops) - Only a few Manufacturers again, Samsung, LG, Hitachi, Sony a couple others. Apple and Dell both use bright, high-quality screens. The XPS dell has newer WLED screen.
- Audio Chip - probably both use the same realtek audio chip.
- trackpad - there are only a few manufacturers and they probably use the same ones
- Optical Drive - only a few manufacturers - both likely use panasonic or pioneer(matsushita i think?). the macbooks have a lot of failure here with the slot load drives. i think the dell xps one has a slot load too which is probaly the exact same one that's in the macbook.
That pretty much leaves us with the case, and the XPS dell (the closest comparison) also sports an anodized aluminum case. Even has some leather trim on it
Those are the essential components - I may have missed something, but those are the essential ones. Apple doesn't make this stuff. They get it from the same manufacturers as everyone else. Which components specifically are you claiming are inferior? If you have a specific example, lets hear it. Otherwise the only differences are subjective ones - but those aren't the argument.