or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Mouse Movement Problem

Mouse Movement Problem

post #1 of 16
Hi!

I have one Mac Pro Quad Core Nehalem 2.66Ghz with one ATI 4870 connected to two Acer Al2423 (1920x1200 at 60 Hz). One is connected using DVI cable and the other with the adapter Mini display port/DVI.

The problem here is the mouse movement, if you try to follow a straight line with the mouse (mighty mouse) the pointer jumps forward some times more rapidly than your hand movement. Imagine you want to select one button in some software and when you stop the mouse to click that button the pointer stops some inches after or behind... i'm getting nut with this thing.

Apple on the phone can fix this thing... tried lot's of thing's: change ports, connect/disconnect, new OSX install (10.5.6) the 10.5.8 don't change nothing at all... with one monitor connected on the the DVI port or using only the Mini Display Port...

I have BootCamp installed with Vista Ultimate and the mouse works very nice there but in OSX just jumps and moves erratically.

I visited a technical Apple center this morning and they didn't find any problem, i tested the machine with them and the mouse was very fine, not a single jump, using my keyboard and mouse and others in the center...

What can i do to solve this thing?

I found in one forum a message that someone had a problem with two monitor's creating some mouse lag update in OSX but in this case works fine in BootCamp, so, isn't hardware problem... presuming, from a logical thought!

Regards,
Murdock

p.s. - i'm freaking out (((((((((((
When 0 and 1 bug you... clean it!
post #2 of 16
Hi me, the real me... nice talk to myself.

Change cables, using VGA adapters and the problem goes away... bad drivers from Apple/ATI.

Snow Leopard will resolve this?

Someone knows more tips from this?

Regards
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock View Post

Hi me, the real me... nice talk to myself.

Change cables, using VGA adapters and the problem goes away... bad drivers from Apple/ATI.

Snow Leopard will resolve this?

Someone knows more tips from this?

Regards

I was having the same problem with a Logitech Evolution mouse. I had been using it on my desk without a mouse pad for years with no trouble. Recently, the cursor wouldn't make the same movements as the mouse. Found an old mouse pad, tried it, and --Eureka, problem solved.
This low tech solution may not be your problem, but worth a try using a different mouse pad.

Also, try cleaning the bottom of your mouse. I had found a build up of wax on the feet and some on the aperture of the laser even though it's a fraction of a millimeter above the feet.

let us know if this works at all.
ADS
ADS
post #4 of 16
Hi!

Thank's for your time but the problem here isn't mouse.
With BootCamp and Vista the mouse works great, so, mouse is fine...

The problem is Drivers/Mini Display Port/DVI.

The only thing that i need to confirm:

More people with this problem in other different machines?

Like 2.93Ghz? Eight Core 2.26Ghz?

With the Nvidia GT 120 card happens the same thing?

Regards
post #5 of 16
You can try the usual tests like seeing if the issue occurs with another mouse, booting into safe mode by holding shift at startup and seeing if the issue exists there - it will take a while to boot up in safe mode and reboot when you've tested it.
post #6 of 16
Quote:

Hi!

Regards

I used to have this problem on my white MB a few years back. Except not 8 core. Anyway, it's not a problem with the Nividia card. Try rebooting your system and let us know what happens.

Mroogle
post #7 of 16
People, read the thing...

No mouse problem, reboot don't fix anything; this happens when you have a connection with DVI cable or with Minidisplay adapter, when you change to VGA adapter the problem stops.

Big problems with 4870 and DVI/Minidisplay ports.

Apple engineers know the issue but Snow Leopard don't fix anything.

More people with this thing in different machines?

Regards
post #8 of 16
Quote:

People, read the thing...

No mouse problem, reboot don't fix anything; this happens when you have a connection with DVI cable or with Minidisplay adapter, when you change to VGA adapter the problem stops.

Big problems with 4870 and DVI/Minidisplay ports.

Apple engineers know the issue but Snow Leopard don't fix anything.

More people with this thing in different machines?

Regards

Yes, same behaviour with Mac Pro Early 2008 and Radeon 4870 from Apple.

I can confirm that it is a problem when the monitor is connected to DVI only (not VGA). The mouse jumps repeatedly in the direction the mouse is moved horizontally and vertically by about 100px but proportional to the movement of the mouse.

Interestingly, if more graphic cards are connected with other monitors the jumping will occur even on the monitors connected to the other card (regardless of connection DVI/VGA). Something in the driver for the ati card must trigger the bug when connected to at least one monitor through dvi on the 4870-card.

This seems to affect a wide range of monitors (from Acer, Philips, Fujitsu, etc.) and, it seems, all models of Mac Pro with a 4870-card connected.
post #9 of 16
Hi!

When you connect more cards and monitors the jumps occurs in all monitors; it seems that the problem occurs in more than the ATI drivers is embed in the system and the Snow Leopard dont solve this problem, tested by myself and other users with the same problem.

I found information reporting that the HDCP protocol is in some level interfering to with the drivers on the OSX.

The Xserve has this problem to. One friend of mine report some problems using Final Cut Pro with the Xserve machine and the Graphic Card isnt ATI is NVIDIA GT 120. Some users with Mac Pro report the same problem in FCP.

I think we need to make a new Thread here with a list that reports Monitor models and Mac Pros systems having this annoying thing

Can you confirm if the monitors that you use are HDCP compatible?

Another hot topic, with the Apple Cinema Display this occurs?

Regards
post #10 of 16
Quote:

I found information reporting that the HDCP protocol is in some level interfering to with the drivers on the OSX.

Sound like a reasonable guess. Perhaps it has something to do with the implementation of Bluray capability…?

Quote:

I think we need to make a new Thread here with a list that reports Monitor models and Mac Pro’s systems having this annoying thing…

Very good idea - Apple needs to fix this. Just make sure people are not reporting monitors connected via VGA are considered as working. It has to be a DVI connection that is tested.

Quote:

Can you confirm if the monitors that you use are HDCP compatible?

I haven't got the faintest idea… they are connected directly via DVI not HDMI.

Quote:

Another hot topic, with the Apple Cinema Display this occurs?

No, it seems that connecting a Cinema Display through the Display Port resolves the problem. Apparently, Apple has not done enough testing with other displays.
post #11 of 16
It seems to be triggered even by the 23" Apple Cinema Display (!) when it is connected through DVI:

Quote:
I just swapped out the nVidia graphics card for the ATI Radeon 4870 in my 2008 8 Core Mac Pro (3,1) and connected my 23" Aluminum Display via DVI and my new 24" LED LCD via Mini DisplayPort. I am also experiencing the same stuttering but seems to go away when just the 24" LED LCD is connected.

(source)
post #12 of 16
Hi!

HDCP protocol works in DVI or HDMI.

What Praha told us is a tremendous valuable information:

The 24 Led Display (only Mini Display Port) dont affect the mouse movement.

Praha, when you only have the 23 Display connect to the DVI port the mouse has the same problem?

Regards
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Praha, when you only have the 23” Display connect to the DVI port the mouse has the same problem?

I don't actually have the 23" Apple Display myself, it was reported by "bedifferent" on the Macrumors Forum. Follow the link above to find out more.

There are in fact quite a few threads about this problem here and there:
When my one Acer monitor was connected to the 4870 (either as primary or secondary), I would get a jumping cursor, and I also noticed HDCP errors when trying to play protected content in iTunes on that monitor
I have a Quad 2.93GHz that has been running perfectly but today it has started stuttering. When I move the mouse, it will pause every few seconds, and then it will jump back.
My Quad 2.93GHz has started stuttering with the mouse or keyboard.
… this seems to be a growing problem; mouse jumping and such
post #14 of 16
Hi!

One link that Praha give has this information:

Both OEM and PC flashed cards have the same problem, depending on monitors, of course.

I will investigate this thing related to HDCP:

The AppleUpstreamUserClient.ktext, ona a Hackintosh if you use a Disabler.ktext with it in its blacklist the jumping/mouse lag problem goes away.

If anyone knows how this thing works can give us a help?

Regards
post #15 of 16
Hi!

This problem only fix the mouse trouble with NVIDIA cards... in this case this a no solution but is revealing how far the things have come
Apple is starting to losing points in some departments isnt the same like Macintosh Classic (my first Mac, was from my father), the Quadra 900 and the G4.

Still trying to fix this thing.

Strange thing happen today when i started the computer. Look how the boxes from the screen adjustment are???

http://img181.imageshack.us/i/24299195.jpg/

http://img134.imageshack.us/i/74092029.jpg/

Connect to the same problem?

Regards
post #16 of 16
I can confirm that on my 2.66 Quad w/GT 120 I have the mouse lag. Using a 24" Dell via DVI. The lag/jump only occurs when iTunes is running, you can see the "lag" when you look at the scrolling text in About iTunes. I can also confirm that the workaround that's floated where your revert components to quicktime 7.5.5 does NOT work anymore. This is a very frustrating issue.

Quote:

Hi!

Regards
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Mouse Movement Problem