or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google responds to FCC, Skype rejection claims

Google responds to FCC, Skype rejection claims - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It's a replacement number for ALL your numbers. That's the whole point of the service.

If you're adding the GV as yet another number to home, work, cell, etc you've completely missed the point of GV and why the service is compelling in the first place.

Let's correct your statement for accuracy.

It's a replacement number for ALL your numbers, or for some, it really is your choice. That's the whole point of the service, that is, to allow you to configure it as an optional replacement for any or all of your phone numbers. For instance, your iPhone may be your work phone. In this case, you might continue to provide your work iPhone phone number. You might also opt to use the GV services for all of the free/cheap services it provides, like VVM, SMS, long distance.

If you're adding the GV as yet another number to home, work, cell, etc you've completely missed the point of GV and why the service is compelling in the first place, IMHO. But you would be taking advantage of the flexibility of the services, and congratulations on exercising the option to do so. The GV services offers quite a few features, so to focus on a single one, that being number consolidation, and to limit that focus on it consolidating all of your phone numbers, you might miss out on everything else it has to offer. It is a big world, don't close your mind to the options available. Remember, if you use the GV service, while Google might like it if you used it as a number consolidation service for all of your phone numbers, they are not forcing you to do so. Viva la liberte!

Hope that helps.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The document Google provided to the FCC, as it looks into Apple's non-acceptance of the Google Voice application on the iPhone platform, was heavily redacted, essentially removing all details of communication between Google and Apple...

Here's a question for those who are jonesing for GV:

Doesn't it at least make you stop and think, "Why doesn't Google want me to see their response to the FCC?" I mean, Apple and AT&T either already know everything that's in there, or will soon, so they are really only keeping this information from consumers. Clearly there is something they are trying to hide. So, what exactly is in there that they don't want consumers to know? And. more importantly, why doesn't it seem to bother you at all that Google is keeping obviously important information about GV and itself from you?
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

You must have wasted 2,000 words on vinea. He will never get it. He won't understand that the iPhone dialler/sms/vm does not suddenly disappear because the GV dialler is installed. He's pissed off that with GV you can choose not to expose the iPhone's ordained phone number, because that's the only number that can use the built in telephony features. That has consequences - such as not using VVM - but at any rate the GV user would know that and would have been choosing GV in preference to what has been offered on the 'host' device. It is not a replacement, it is an alternative - as in the all the original capability is still there and can still be used notwithstanding they probably would not be by a GV user, but again it should be stressed that would be a choice - or at least it might have been had apple decided to approve the app.

No, he is fully aware that every built in function remains and is unchanged. He does however, appear to believe that if a user is offered the choice of he GV service and app on the iPhone the will opt to use that interface exclusively, thereby disrupting the experience that Apple designed on the iPhone. While Apple has created the best of breed interface, he is wrong. let's review why.

1) Apple has indeed created the best of breed interface for telephony on the iPhone. It is, as vinea himself stated, their competitive advantage (one of). Yet, how much of an advantage does he think it is if he thinks users will dump it at first chance? I don't think the will. I think the two will co-exist and be used by many users. In the same way I user Safari and FF on both my Macs and PCs. Perhaps some faith in the advantage their interface provides is in order. After all, if the interface doesn't compel users to continue to use it, it isn't much of an advantage. It is just a feature.
2) He might believe iPhone users would be confused by having an alternative interface for telephony functions. But he would have to then believe that most iPhone users are functionally retarded. Obviously they are not. Will some be confused? Maybe. Some users can't figure out basic settings or how to use OTA syncing, but Apple still offers and exposes the for users.
3) He also feels that because Apple and Google compete in the telephone device space, that Apple should use their control over the iPhone to squash any google moves in the iPhone app space. But, google apps on the iPhone do not lead to sales of Andriod devices. They lead to the use of google services, which Apple does not provide. Again, I suppose he might have so little faith in the work Apple has put into the iPhone that he believes an optional google interface on the iPhone would be so good, so compelling, so great, that users would decide they need to go buy an Android as the next device.

There are more reasons, but this is enough for now. He knows well that the iPhone itself or Apple features are not modified. His representation is that providing alternatives is the same as removing, even without actually removing. But one can really only assume this if one thinks Apple's provided options are so weak that people would drop their interfaces all together.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google responds to FCC, Skype rejection claims