or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28 - Page 3

post #81 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

Hot diggity... I was going to wait it out until 10.6.1, but strange urge to upgrade on Day 1.... Hmmm....

I d/l the golden master, installed it on a partition that has several OS versions on it, first, it doesn't work with some programs, and even some games as well as Logic 9 plug ins, I would wait. There is a reason this is getting pushed out so fast, MSFT must be up to something.

Also, the OPENGL according to some benchmarks is 1/3 slower than Leopard 10.5, so you lose a lot of frame rates.

Just saying.

Peace.
post #82 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I wasn't going to upgrade because I plan to replace my computer early next year but as soon as the word came down that Apple was releasing the new OS on Friday, I got this overwhelming urge to upgrade my current Mac, even if it will only be for a few months.

The price is right and if I can spend around that much money for a movie that I might watch once or twice, I guess a few months with a new OS is worth that outlay.

Yeah, for $6-$10/month it's hard to beat....I'd do it! Have fun!
post #83 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Great news! Now I only hope this will install to a blank hard drive. I'm treating my MacBook on a bigger harddrive to accompany the Snow Leopard update... Having to Install Leopard just to be able to install SL would be quite cumbersome.

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

The system drive must have Leopard installed first. Then you can install Snow.

Since SL is 7 GB smaller than Leopard, you don't need a larger hard drive for the install.
post #84 of 216
Anyone know why the June 8th cut-off date for the $9.95 new Mac purchase ugrade deal?

(I happened to purchase a new Mac on June 1 )
post #85 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

The system drive must have Leopard installed first. Then you can install Snow.

Since SL is 7 GB smaller than Leopard, you don't need a larger hard drive for the install.

Why do you need leopard on system drive first, I installed gold master on a blank drive.

Also, ship date still says September....booo.
post #86 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I've been keeping my secondary apps in other folder I call "AddedApps" instead of in "Applications". They seem to work fine that way. And, like you, I put them back in after I do an upgrade.

Brilliant! Great idea, Thx! I will definitely do that....'AddedApps!'
post #87 of 216
Sooo... the Mac community upgrades to Snow Leopard on August 28th... the rest of the world upgrades to Windows 7 on October 22nd. Just trying to add some perspective.

Sorry, I'm being facetious.
post #88 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Great analogy. Now if you could just tell us why spouses cheat, I think we could solve the secrets of the universe.

They cheat for a variety of reasons. Sometimes even if you just, 'look at them the wrong way!' So be careful!

The good news is, if she cheats I would just make her take a shower because you can't wear 'it' out! That's what I do anyway. Good luck!
post #89 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Anyone know why the June 8th cut-off date for the $9.95 new Mac purchase ugrade deal?

(I happened to purchase a new Mac on June 1 )

It was June 8th because that was the day of the WWDC 2009 Keynote and that was when it was announced that Snow Leopard would be shipping Sept 2009 (now changed to August 2009)
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
post #90 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

Why do you need leopard on system drive first, I installed gold master on a blank drive.

Also, ship date still says September....booo.

Ships: Delivers on August 28th

Snow Leopard is an upgrade for Leopard users.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and follow the simple installation instructions.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife 09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork 09, Apples productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
post #91 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

Will it run PPC apps?

Many of us still use Intuit's Quicken (no Universal version available yet) and Photoshop CS2 (have you checked the price of CS4?)


I used the beta for Snow Leopard and when I opened a PPC game called Zuma Deluxe

it told me I needed Rosetta for it...and it downloaded it and installed it and then Zuma worked fine

had a few slight graphics blips but I went and changed the graphics settings in prefs for the program and it worked fine...and that was on a Core Duo White Macbook

so it could work using Rosetta...good luck
post #92 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the the problems with the MacBook's stock hard drives, I guess the hard drive makers are seeing their demise with Apple introducing SSD options now, so they are dropping quality to make as much money before closing shop. This isn't a good thing for our data and system reliability.

There have been problems with ONE drive configuration - 500GB drive (from Seagate I think). The problem was not the quality of the dirve, but that the dirve has its own safety features that were conflicting with the MacBook's safety features (drive shuts off if dropped). I believe it's been corrected now with a firmware update. The drive is NOT a low-quality drive.
post #93 of 216
Ok, so... let's start hearing the 10.7 rumors!
post #94 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thanks for that....did I read that SL will have an automatic compatibility check as part of the install?

The installation process is up to 50 percent faster and more reliable than ever. It checks all your applications and sets aside programs known to be incompatible.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refineme...finements.html
post #95 of 216
Cool, will make a b-line to the Apple store this Friday.
post #96 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

The installation process is up to 50 percent faster and more reliable than ever. It checks all your applications and sets aside programs known to be incompatible.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refineme...finements.html

Thanks Park!
post #97 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

That's not a dilemma. Go with the 7200RPM if you care about speed. I have the WD 2.5" version in my MBP 17 and it is whisper quiet and FAST.

Again, more RPM doesn't automatically mean more speed. An 5400 RPM drive can easily be as fast or faster than a 7200RPM if the platter density is higher and if it has fewer platters.

However, without the manufacturer or model numbers mentioned, we can't look up the specs for the OP.
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
Reply
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
Reply
post #98 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I d/l the golden master, installed it on a partition that has several OS versions on it, first, it doesn't work with some programs, and even some games as well as Logic 9 plug ins, I would wait. There is a reason this is getting pushed out so fast, MSFT must be up to something.

Also, the OPENGL according to some benchmarks is 1/3 slower than Leopard 10.5, so you lose a lot of frame rates.

Just saying.

Peace.

What benchmarks? What does your GPU say about OpenGL status?
post #99 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Anyone know why the June 8th cut-off date for the $9.95 new Mac purchase ugrade deal?

(I happened to purchase a new Mac on June 1 )

You can try to get the up-to-date disc anyway. Just enter your purchase date as being after June 8th.
post #100 of 216
Totally fake.
post #101 of 216
Quote:
Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife 09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork 09, Apples productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

So I have to buy the crappy IMHO iLife package to get the full version of SL? It sounds like what they did with Final Cut Pro, including a bunch of apps that no one wants and charge you for them adding "Studio" to the name. They should be ashamed.
post #102 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

How about a 500GB 7200RPM drive? I have the Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS in my MBP and it works great - well worth the $120!
post #103 of 216
I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.
Z
post #104 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.
Z

See post #90 in this thread.
post #105 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.
Z

Apple says that you need to buy the Box Set. And we have no reason to believe that you can (or can't) use the $29 version. So if I were you, I'd wait either wait until Friday to hear what others say, or just bite the bullet and buy the Box Set
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
post #106 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

See post #90 in this thread.

Thanks OldCodger..... I missed that post...
post #107 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Apple says that you need to buy the Box Set. And we have no reason to believe that you can (or can't) use the $29 version. So if I were you, I'd wait either wait until Friday to hear what others say, or just bite the bullet and buy the Box Set

Hey... an even better idea....LOL. Will tough it out for a few more weeks with 10.4 on my home machine.... Not like I'm having to use Vista THANK GOD....LOL. I'd like to get the box set but if I can get away with just spending $30 instead of $170....I'll go for the $30... call me cheap..

Thanks
Z
post #108 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihadmeavision View Post

So I have to buy the crappy IMHO iLife package to get the full version of SL? It sounds like what they did with Final Cut Pro, including a bunch of apps that no one wants and charge you for them adding "Studio" to the name. They should be ashamed.

Those of us who have Leopard basically paid $130 for it. Now we are getting the upgrade to Snow Leopard for an additional $30. Together, that is $160 and no iWorks.

So you have to pay $10 more to get 3 great apps that will really help show off what Snow Leopard can do.

Heck. You are right. You should be able to pay $160 for a full install of Snow Leopard only, like most of us have had to do in two steps.

You have my vote. Except I would charge you extra for the one-step service
post #109 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Ships: Delivers on August 28th

Does anyone know if Amazon will also ship on Thursday?
post #110 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyridge View Post

Does anyone know if Amazon will also ship on Thursday?

Based on past releases, IIRC, no. But I could very well be wrong.
post #111 of 216
I realize its an outdated architecture, but can anyone explain to me why Apple dropped PPC support? Is it hurting them in anyway to keep PPC or is it more of Apple telling me to update?
post #112 of 216
I wonder how long it will take them to send me my up-to-date copy of Snow Leopard. I checked my order status a minute ago and it still says ships September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #113 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I wonder how long it will take them to send me my up-to-date copy of Snow Leopard. I checked my order status a minute ago and it still says ships September.

For what its worth, I talked to an Apple rep and he assured me that my Up to Date copy would arrive on Friday.
I sure hope he's right...
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
post #114 of 216
Is MAC OS finally going to support streaming audio through front row?!
post #115 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Those of us who have Leopard basically paid $130 for it. Now we are getting the upgrade to Snow Leopard for an additional $30. Together, that is $160 and no iWorks.

So you have to pay $10 more to get 3 great apps that will really help show off what Snow Leopard can do.

Heck. You are right. You should be able to pay $160 for a full install of Snow Leopard only, like most of us have had to do in two steps.

You have my vote. Except I would charge you extra for the one-step service

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.
post #116 of 216
Isn't the point of the 30 dollar upgrade is that it is, in fact, an upgrade? It may not be a "full version." There has to be a way to differentiate the version that comes with the box set and the version that comes stand-alone, I would think.

I don't think this version is being looked at the same as other upgrades because it is like a major "service pack" for Leopard, and thus needs Leopard for installation... and why the 30 dollar price tag.
post #117 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsynknod View Post

I'm the boss of the company. I'm calling in sick only when there's a major event. Friday 28 2009 will be calendered as a priority absence.

heh, if you are really the boss, you don't have to reason your absence!
post #118 of 216
$35 CAD.. Man, who's the middleman that gets a great cut on this pseudo exchange rate?
post #119 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Isn't the point of the 30 dollar upgrade is that it is, in fact, an upgrade? It may not be a "full version." There has to be a way to differentiate the version that comes with the box set and the version that comes stand-alone, I would think.

I don't think this version is being looked at the same as other upgrades because it is like a major "service pack" for Leopard, and thus needs Leopard for installation... and why the 30 dollar price tag.

(opinion only)
I think it has to be the full version- you need to be able to boot for m the disk and install on brand new system hard disks.

I can't believe if you put a new HD in your mac that you would have to install a previous OS before you installed OS 10.6.

Since all intel macs have either shipped with 10.4 or 10.5- the 10.6 instal disk just needs to know your mac model (and so what OS it shipped with) and/or if you have updated from 10.4 to 10.5 previously- the motherboard should know this through what firmware it's running?! etc.

Also 'startup disk' preferences know your current OS.

Ok im guessing here- but I can't believe apple would require an antiquated step of legacy installs when installing new system HD's
post #120 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihadmeavision View Post

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.

No. They were separate, individual OSs. Not updates. Didn't require the previous iteration.

And as for you last comment, you really don't belong here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28