or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Upcoming Apple tablet is No. 1 priority of Steve Jobs - report

Upcoming Apple tablet is No. 1 priority of Steve Jobs - report - Page 6

post #201 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

So here's the deal. A 7-inch device you could probably hold in one hand. A 10-inch device, not so much.

You hold it like a baby.
post #202 of 212
Quote:

So here's the deal. A 7-inch device you could probably hold in one hand. A 10-inch device, not so much. Now consider the impact of doubling the iPhone's screen dimensions. The impact on the user experience would be dramatic and the cost would be that you would lose pocketablity but you would still be able to have one hand free for manipulating the device, i.e. typing etc. Go up to 10 inches and now holding the device in one hand becomes an awkward exercise.

Here's the deal, put a software keyboard on a 10" device and you've got the perfect software keyboard. Put it on a 7" device and you may as well be using an iPhone. If you desperately want to walk around while doing your bit, get an iPhone.

I can't see you getting much work done walking down a corridor and using one hand on this 7" tablet.

Like I say, the primary target for this tablet will be the consumer electronics market, i.e. regular people who like cool stuff. Using this 10 tablet while sitting on a couch would be great, and even if you decide to take this tablet to school you can place it on the desk and use it that way also, cause it would have a build in rest for when you're sitting by a flat surface. Desk, table, tray etc.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #203 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here's the deal, put a software keyboard on a 10" device and you've got the perfect software keyboard. Put it on a 7" device and you may as well be using an iPhone. If you desperately want to walk around while doing your bit, get an iPhone.

More an more I've become convinced that no one size will make everybody happy. As to walking around with an iPhone I already do that so I know its limitations. I also know what the limitations are for the old fashion way of dong things with pen and paper. Get to big and you have issues different form being to small. That is why you see so many people running around with Daytimers, Steno pads and other modestly size note taking devices.

The whole idea behind a paperback sized device or something around 7", is that it would replace these paper based products without any disruption. As to walking around with such devices, yes people do that all the time in the workplace. Especially people involved in quality control, engineering and production management so yeah I see opportunity for an electronic replacement.
Quote:

I can't see you getting much work done walking down a corridor and using one hand on this 7" tablet.

You don't get work done while walking, but if you have a production floor covering multiple acres of land and several distinct production lines you have to be constantly moving about. A seven inch device (lets call it Newton) is just handy in this sort of environment. You won't have room to lay it down when you need to use it. Good communications and fast syncing would enhance your ability to do the job.
Quote:

Like I say, the primary target for this tablet will be the consumer electronics market, i.e. regular people who like cool stuff.

I certainly believe that Apple will start the device out this way. But like iPhone and Touch people will see value in them outside of the consumer electronics market. Think about what the iPhone currently offers an industrial engineer for example.

Here is a quick list:
1. A stop watch.
2. A voice memo machine.
3. A note taking device.
4. Weather forecasts, yes those are important sometimes.
5. A modest camera, the newer models doing movies.
6. A calendar that syncs well.
7. A web browser.
8. Remote for presentations.
9. Various types of calculators.
10. Web access.
11. Contacts with you all the time.
12. A Phone.
13. A level or Clinometer.
14. Travel support.

Now put all this into a package that delivers a screen with 3 or 4 times the area and you are golden. Sure it is not pocketable like IPhone. However is is far more pocketable than an overstuffed Daytimer.
Quote:
Using this 10 tablet while sitting on a couch would be great, and even if you decide to take this tablet to school you can place it on the desk and use it that way also, cause it would have a build in rest for when you're sitting by a flat surface. Desk, table, tray etc.

That may or may not work well. If the panel is an OLED then yeah lay it on the desk. However your credibility goes out the window if you think people will be successful taking notes on such a device by typing them in. I just don't see it happening.

Dave
post #204 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Like I say, the primary target for this tablet will be the consumer electronics market, i.e. regular people who like cool stuff. Using this 10 tablet while sitting on a couch would be great, and even if you decide to take this tablet to school you can place it on the desk and use it that way also, cause it would have a build in rest for when you're sitting by a flat surface. Desk, table, tray etc.

Typing on a virtual keyboard is a lousy way to go and it gets worse when you do it on a device that causes you to type with only one hand. Instead of forcing everyone to pay an additional $200 for a larger device, why not offer up a bluetooth keyboard with a stand to hold the Touch Extra, an optional item that would cost less than $200 and be far better suited to the process of typing.

Consider what $200 means. Whereas a 7" Touch would check in at around $549 unsubsidized, the 10" version would check in at around $749 (more expensive battery, bigger screen, and so on and so on). The $549 device would represent a tempting upgrade from a standard Touch. The $749 device would be a hard sell on account of that's so close to Macbook territory, it's tough to justify going that route. Certainly on the PC side, $749 buys a very good laptop.

It hardly matters that the Jumbo Touch combined with the Bluetooth keyboard would be close in price to the 10" Tablet, the fact remains that the starting point for the 7" device would be far easier to market.
post #205 of 212
Quote:

Typing on a virtual keyboard is a lousy way to go and it gets worse when you do it on a device that causes you to type with only one hand.

Definitely. I still don't get why the HECK Apple doesn't allow Bluetooth keyboards and mice for the iPhone!? Let alone making a nice high-price high-profit-margin one themselves, as well as allowing 3rd parties. Seems kind of like a no-brainer. Especially since you can hook an iPhone up to a TV or other monitor for video output. (This is correct, right? And with faster and faster iPhones I'd imagine the output's resolution will get better and approach HD in a year or two)
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #206 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Definitely. I still don't get why the HECK Apple doesn't allow Bluetooth keyboards and mice for the iPhone!? Let alone making a nice high-price high-profit-margin one themselves, as well as allowing 3rd parties. Seems kind of like a no-brainer. Especially since you can hook an iPhone up to a TV or other monitor for video output. (This is correct, right? And with faster and faster iPhones I'd imagine the output's resolution will get better and approach HD in a year or two)

I mean no disrespect at all, but why in god's name would you want to type on a blue tooth keyboard on your iPhone....LOL. It's a great device.... but it's not a full blown computer. Okay.... maybe compared to computers 5 years ago it is, but trying to type on a 3" screen, or even a 10" screen would just annoy the living hell out of me. I can see how this tablet would be cool if it worked like a planner of sorts, the bigger screen being great for that, but I wouldn't want to try to use it for anything besides that. Oh well.... different strokes for different folks..... the thought of using my wireless keyboard with my iPhone just seems silly....LOL.

Thanks for the laugh,
Z
post #207 of 212
Just yesterday I needed to type a new script. Forget the computer; too big. forget the iPhone; too tough to type on for very long and while staring out the window. Out came my old Palm with its folding keyboard.

For just typing, even a five-year-old Palm is fine.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #208 of 212
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The iRex is 8.1" by the way. The Kindle DX is 9.7". Both below your 10" minimum. The smaller format eBooks are 6" so a 7"display on an iPod Touch is in the same range.

I am not gonna bother with the rest of your bs "arguments". But really try googling before posting uninformed comments. The irex digital
Quote:
reader

which I currently own has a 10.2 display, you are obviously referencing the iliad which is three years old. Also the much touted and anticipated plastic logic reader will be upwards of 10 inches.

Good night, and sleep tight, and keep your hands above the covers.
post #209 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I wholly agree, this is one of their least wise positions. They probably do it because they want people getting used to on screen keyboards so they get more out of it and to usher in the new device. Twas the first thing when I got my iphone to try to no avail to get a bluetooth keyboard..sadly they've disabled the stack so there's no jailbreak option even...
post #210 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I mean no disrespect at all, but why in god's name would you want to type on a blue tooth keyboard on your iPhone....LOL. It's a great device.... but it's not a full blown computer. Okay.... maybe compared to computers 5 years ago it is, but trying to type on a 3" screen, or even a 10" screen would just annoy the living hell out of me. I can see how this tablet would be cool if it worked like a planner of sorts, the bigger screen being great for that, but I wouldn't want to try to use it for anything besides that. Oh well.... different strokes for different folks..... the thought of using my wireless keyboard with my iPhone just seems silly....LOL.

Thanks for the laugh,
Z

As myapplelove said...I'm sure some people would use it. I just don't see why it isn't an option. Couldn't be too much work to just add it in? Like I said, imagine using it attached to a big screen. And eventually HDMI or whatever you use for video, will be wireless. Eventually all wires will disappear, maybe in a few years. A keyboard becomes even better then. Maybe they are waiting to build a laser in to sense a virtual keyboard on the desk? Half-joking about this. Here's what I'm talking about with that though: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/
Pretty impressive. $150 and it works with Blackberries. Food for thought...
post #211 of 212
Ok guys.

So the Apple September iPod event is going to come and go very soon. Do you all think there will be any hints in the coming days for an October event? Is it possible that will see this tablet device before the end of the calendar year?
post #212 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

]

I am not gonna bother with the rest of your bs "arguments". But really try googling before posting uninformed comments. The irex digital which I currently own has a 10.2 display, you are obviously referencing the iliad which is three years old. Also the much touted and anticipated plastic logic reader will be upwards of 10 inches.

The point was that there are many formats below your idiotic "you can't read anything smaller than 10"" size. Yes, the Illiad is 3 years old. So what? The new Sony is also smaller than 10" and you keep ignoring that paperbacks are way smaller than 10". You don't bother because your point was utterly stupid and indefensible.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Upcoming Apple tablet is No. 1 priority of Steve Jobs - report