or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard - Page 3

post #81 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Clearly, there is going to be a run on pirated copies of CS4 after this announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchr View Post

They shouldn't be surprised if people obtain illegal copies of their latest CS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

Then they wonder why people torrent pirated copies of their software.

I could have gone on... if this level of outcry had been made about the healthcare system, we'd have had universal health-care decades ago. Amazing so many people argue against tax to keep people healthy, but are more than happy to download applications illegally and burden those of us who do pay for them to pick up the tab - BTW, I am not picking on you three, I have no idea what your politic are, but I have seen these comments on almost all of the Mac sites.

If you can't afford something, should you have it? Most people who use CS3 or even CS4 are just kids who think they need a $1000 suite to resize the shitty photos they take on their SLRs they can barely use.

I think what Adobe is doing sucks as well... so, don't use their stuff. There ARE alternatives, some are free.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #82 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Boycott Adobe! Pirate Adobe! Steal Adobe! Hack Adobe! Short Adobe! Never purchase another Adobe product again!

Hey, why should these scumbags support a $1000 program they sold until last year when they can screw their customers? It's time for all of us to screw Adobe royally.

That said, CS3 works as well as CS4 with SL. The punks @ Adobe are trying to trick us into an needless upgrade.

I want us all to bankrupt Adobe!

I agree about boycotting Adobe products. But one should not pirate nor steal their products. Plus if you steal their software and use it, you are STILL using an Adobe product. Do yourself a favor and try to find other alternatives to Adobe (like you said, you use Pixelmator) to do your work. We live in a world where we vote with our pockets. Stealing a product still means there is a need for that product. (I won't buy another Apple product, but I won't steal their OS, hardware or software either.)

I wish I had more skill in programing, because then I would try to help the Gimp project out more to help it become a standard use program. Its about half way there and needs some cleaning up around the edges.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #83 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm ready now to explore some alternatives. Coda for one to replace Dreamweaver. Need to do some investigating...

I did one or two projects with Amaya and it was close, but didn't quite cut it for me and I went back to Dreamweaver.

The only reason I've upgraded any Adobe product for the last ten years is to keep compatibility with OS updates and with colleagues who update their versions. I'm a web developer who codes by hand, so I just use Dreamweaver for marking up HTML and I just use Illustrator and Photoshop for tweaking the designer's files and exporting slices. I don't recall any new features that I've needed in all that time. I would upgrade for bug fixes, but Adobe doesn't seem interested in that -- Dreamweaver didn't have a single patch between CS3 and CS4, if I'm not mistaken, and it's one of the buggier programs on my computer. I'd also upgrade for speed, but the programs seem to just get slower with each release.

Adobe is right up there with Microsoft among companies I only very hesitantly and very begrudgingly give money to. When I get tired of asking the designers I work with, "Hey, can you save that down to CS3 for me?" that's when I upgrade.
post #84 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I could have gone on... if this level of outcry had been made about the healthcare system, we'd have had universal health-care decades ago. Amazing so many people argue against tax to keep people healthy, but are more than happy to download applications illegally and burden those of us who do pay for them to pick up the tab - BTW, I am not picking on you three, I have no idea what your politic are, but I have seen these comments on almost all of the Mac sites.

If you can't afford something, should you have it? Most people who use CS3 or even CS4 are just kids who think they need a $1000 suite to resize the shitty photos they take on their SLRs they can barely use.

I think what Adobe is doing sucks as well... so, don't use their stuff. There ARE alternatives, some are free.


Actually, I live in Canada so I already have universal health care (which I love dearly BTW). And for the record, I bought my copy of CS4 legally... my point is that for the amount of money the client/customer puts out for Adobe's products, Adobe should show some good will in return, especially since there are inexpensive or even free software that the average user can use as an alternative... this proves that while it is a professional level suite, CS is still way overpriced IMO. And to not offer an update for CS3/OSX 10.6 compatibility, is just stupid... even if you have the market cornered. To my mind, a professional level suite, at a pro price point should = professional level support.
post #85 of 190
This is a bullsh!t move by Adobe. I don't think their going to like the repercussions of this. People are going to revolt a little (I hope)...
post #86 of 190
Question.

Can anyone give me a really compelling feature upgrade that Adobe made to Photoshop between CS and CS3? (Intel native excepted). Something that meant you just HAD to upgrade to the latest version (likewise for InDesign, Illustrator or Dreamweaver).

When upgrading software that costs around the price of an actual MacBook for the upgrade alone, I need to know that I'm going to derive some kind of productivity benefit and claw that money back. A delivery driver is unlikely to trade in a nearly new van for a brand new van just because he prefers the new vans colour...
post #87 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Just as an example, nothing personal:

If I asked you to develope my website, and we agreed on spec and price, and you supplied a product I was happy with; would you feel obliged, when 18months later I update my hardware, or some function of the site, to carry on updating your site because of changes I want to make to the spec? Would you expect to be paid?

I think the three million other people with the exact same website that we would had built for you bring something to bear here.

No, I would not charge you 1/3 the cost of a new site (in this case a $599 upgrade) to make a cs3 patch.

Adobe will support cs4. It can't be so difficult to include cs3, which probably has a much larger user base anyway.

But of course they need to sell more product.
post #88 of 190
It is not like professionals have any choice. Adobe rules. For the causal user there are other alternatives because there is not that much need for compatibility with vendors, freelances, customers, service bureaus, etc. For the pros, that is just the cost of doing business.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #89 of 190
Adobe has a lock on my field, unfortunately, but their software has become buggy and mediocre--power hiding behind a flawed interface. And yet it's expensive, with complex bundles (combining old and new apps regardless of development cycle) that you have to play games with to guess the best path! And they have complex, burdensome installers and updaters. Meanwhile, upgrades are seldom revolutionary, despite the high prices.

As a result, it's very hard to justify buying every single upgrade. I buy every-other version instead, and am now using CS3 while waiting for CS5, hopefully with long-overdue 64-bit support.

Failing to support just one version old is not acceptable to me. It may stop me from upgrading to Snow Leopard on one of my machines, but it will NOT make me buy CS4 (which still doesn't fix everything wrong with CS3) nor like Adobe any more than before (And I used to be a big fan--back when Photoshop was the poster child for rock-solid software.)

I'll be looking for unsupported ways to use CS3 (I'm hopeful) and I'll be looking for alternative apps (I know GIMP is far from perfect, but it might make do for a time on one of my machines, with CS3 on the other).

In short, I don't think Adobe has any legal OBLIGATION to support the prior version. But not doing so is one more example of the mediocre Creative Suite experience. And that in turn makes me buy less from Adobe.
post #90 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So how much do you think that my car dealer should charge me to upgrade my 1, 2 or 3 year old cars?

Not the point.

He asked why people weren't current on CS4, why they would still be running CS3. The answer was that the upgrade price at 515 pounds sterling is fairly steep for a product that doesn't offer much in the update for Mac users. Except, as of Friday, support for running on SL.

(Of course, that's the honest people. The dishonest folks were current on CS4 probably the day it was released.)

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #91 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Would you expect a air plane manufacturer to upgrade and support your prop plane instruments with their current jet plane instruments?

Your comparison is illogical. Who is the airplane manufacturer here? Adobe? Or Apple? My problem is that Adobe will not support CS3 on Snow Leopard, and they go so far as to say they're not even going to test it!

At the very least, test the product and see if it has major problems. Who knows... a patch that fixes CS3 to work beautifully with Snow Leopard may not even be necessary. The point is that Adobe abandoned support for it without even trying.
post #92 of 190
is it worth noting that CS3 may not even have any significant problems running in snow leopard?
i mean, i'm pretty sure running CS isn't supported and hasn't been for some time, but its continued to work through a few OS updates and the switch to Intel CPUs.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #93 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If I recall at the time, you could have upgraded to the CS4 for less than $200 or even nothing. Whatever it was, the difference in price, was more significant than in the increased power and functionality that the new suite offered.

Just how do you expect Adobe to support CS3 on Snow Leopard baffles me. CS3 wasn't programmed for dual core 64-bit processing?

Do you know what "support" means?

We'll see what happens with CS3 support when Windows 7 is released in October.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #94 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymr View Post

Actually, I live in Canada so I already have universal health care (which I love dearly BTW). And for the record, I bought my copy of CS4 legally... my point is that for the amount of money the client/customer puts out for Adobe's products, Adobe should show some good will in return, especially since there are inexpensive or even free software that the average user can use as an alternative... this proves that while it is a professional level suite, CS is still way overpriced IMO. And to not offer an update for CS3/OSX 10.6 compatibility, is just stupid... even if you have the market cornered. To my mind, a professional level suite, at a pro price point should = professional level support.

Fair enough, you make good points. I think Adobe have been taking the 'michael' with Mac users for some time; I'm surprised it's taken this long for the tension to boil over.

I haven't used photoshop for years, because I went through a time when I genuinely could not afford it. Now that I could, I choose not to have it and use the more affordable Aperture. I think this move will probably swing things Apple's way. But if you need the rest of CS3, it's a bit harder to change your entire workflow, if not impossible.

I am just frustrated by an apparent sense of entitlement people seem to have with software, that they really should have over more important things. Just ma little rant... [/rant]

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #95 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If you have any memory of the recent evolution of OS X, Adobe has bent over backwards for this platform:

2000 - 2002: Migration of suite from OS 9 to OS X, a completely new OS.

2005-2006: Migration from PPC/Codeweaver to Universal/Xcode. This required changing not just their code base, but their entire development process, using a yet unproven tool: XCode. They even helped Apple improve XCode during this process.

2008- Sorry, Adobe, we changed our mind: no 64-bit Carbon. This forced Adobe to move their entire suite to Cocoa for CS5.

They are doing a remarkable job keeping up with these changes in the course of their regular upgrade cycle. I think things will finally settle down for them, as there is not much left that Apple can do to them, but they have had a rough nine years supporting a huge, complex suite on the Mac platform. We should all be thankful they didn't give up or simply skip major releases on the Mac.

oh puh-leaaase!

the only thing adobe has bent over backwards for in the last decade was to suck at the teats of microsoft. their mac software has been transformed from awesome tools for the graphics industry to dreadful mac bloatware that plays second fiddle to windows software. they have abandoned mac users years ago.

i remember adobe bragging that the transition to osx was going to be a breeze and yet they were among the last to ship usable products (quark of course being the last to come around).

my favourite version of illustrator (10) runs smoother, better, faster on an 8-core mac pro than any later version. i'm dreading the day i have to abandon it.

there is no excuse for adobe to treat mac users as second class citizens. WE made them who they are and they repaid us by focusing most of their development on courting the windows consumer market. lets not forget that without apples adoption of postscript for the first laserwriter (several thousand dollars of the price was for the postscript license) adobe would not be where they are. WE are the ones that made photoshop the verb it is today.

now all new versions are windows first and their mac 'ports' are garbage - flash being the posterchild of that trend, but by no means the only one. 64 bit coming to windows years before the mac. don't give me the 'carbon' bullshit - adobe has had ten years to get their ass in gear.

reading in the comments that people have had no issues with CS3 on snow leopard, i agree that this might be a tempest in a tea cup - but the tea is stale and has been for years.

what we need is a new macromedia to give adobe a reason to wake up.
post #96 of 190
Given both RAW and Snow Leopard fiascoes, and frequency of pointless CS updates, perhaps Adobe should put expiration date on their software.
post #97 of 190
I cannot believe this guy is a Principal Product Manager. If I talked to my customers the way he is on that blog, I would be fired in a heartbeat, not to mention they would look at my product in a different light.

I will never look at Photoshop the same...I will think of his words in that blog to customers every time I see the splash screen.
post #98 of 190
Adobe charges premium upgrade pricing for an endless series of maintenance releases, and very rarely ever releases actual bug fixes in between.

I can't remember the last useful addition to Illustrator. Hey Adobe, how about bringing the god damned graph function in Illustrator into the current century? Am I really paying $600 a year for minor features like "live paint?"

Bridge, thats a f-ing joke. Acrobat, so slow its painful, I use it only as a last resort and every version seems to get worse. Flash CS3, slow and crappy no matter what version you "upgrade" to. I'd sooner user TextWrangler than Dreamweaver. The one app in the CS bundle that has had upgrades worth paying for is InDesign.

There I feel better.
post #99 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

We'll see what happens with CS3 support when Windows 7 is released in October.

It's not a direct comparison. Windows 7 is basically Vista with some small improvements and a different shell. The major architecture change happened in Vista already between Vista and XP.

Edit: You could compare if cs4 had shipped before Vista was out and cs3 had issues on Vista without an update.
post #100 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

oh puh-leaaase!

the only thing adobe has bent over backwards for in the last decade was to suck at the teats of microsoft. their mac software has been transformed from awesome tools for the graphics industry to dreadful mac bloatware that plays second fiddle to windows software. they have abandoned mac users years ago.

i remember adobe bragging that the transition to osx was going to be a breeze and yet they were among the last to ship usable products (quark of course being the last to come around).

my favourite version of illustrator (10) runs smoother, better, faster on an 8-core mac pro than any later version. i'm dreading the day i have to abandon it.

there is no excuse for adobe to treat mac users as second class citizens. WE made them who they are and they repaid us by focusing most of their development on courting the windows consumer market. lets not forget that without apples adoption of postscript for the first laserwriter (several thousand dollars of the price was for the postscript license) adobe would not be where they are. WE are the ones that made photoshop the verb it is today.

now all new versions are windows first and their mac 'ports' are garbage - flash being the posterchild of that trend, but by no means the only one. 64 bit coming to windows years before the mac. don't give me the 'carbon' bullshit - adobe has had ten years to get their ass in gear.

reading in the comments that people have had no issues with CS3 on snow leopard, i agree that this might be a tempest in a tea cup - but the tea is stale and has been for years.

what we need is a new macromedia to give adobe a reason to wake up.

Microsoft, while not being particularly creative, does focus on the needs of developers, so I'm not surprised it has become the reference platform. I think Apple has made all the right decisions in going to OS X, then Intel/Xcode, now Cocoa-only 64-bit, but to call it bullshit, implying that these changes should somehow be trivial to adopt for a company with the size of Adobe's code base, is bullshit in itself.

Now that Apple is done with its major transition pains, maybe Adobe can focus more on features and less on Apple's migration path.
post #101 of 190
This announcement is clearly a precursor to the announcement of CS5 and it's main selling point:
"Actually works in Snow Leopard and doesn't suck like CS4: Everything is Flash Edition"
post #102 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's not a direct comparison. Windows 7 is basically Vista with some small improvements and a different shell. The major architecture change happened in Vista already between Vista and XP.

No, it is a direct comparison. They would have to be devoting resources to test CS3 against Win7 (and patch 2.5-year old code, etc.) that would otherwise be devoted to developing CS5, according to Nack himself. Its a question of consistency.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #103 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

There is never a justification for pirating software.

I know you must be right because you used BOLD and speak in absolutes. You are my golden god.
post #104 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post

This announcement is clearly a precursor to the announcement of CS5 and it's main selling point:
"Actually works in Snow Leopard and doesn't suck like CS4: Everything is Flash Edition"

I would not be surprised if the first part of this comment is somewhere near the truth. About the second part I can only hope.
post #105 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Umm...there are other more important reasons some of us are upgrading to Snow Leopard besides Photoshop. Final Cut Studio 3 performance improvements anyone? Photoshop CS3 is just a tool that I use in addition to FCS 3. If it stops working, I will seek alternatives until CS5 is out. Not worth it for me to upgrade to CS4.

Don't be so damned smug Blur. FCS 3 is not going to change much performance wise under SL. Obviously you barely use Final Cut. If you are editing broadcast material, movies and/ or commercials you wouldn't upgrade anytime soon, less you risk shutting down the entire editing department for a week. No one in this environment would ever risk that.

I wouldn't count on any hardware drivers for SL to be re-written for at least 6 months as it pertains to Matrox or Black Magic or other hardware manufacturers. My studio just upgraded to Leopard 4 months ago because we were waiting for stable reliable driver packages and a couple of updates from Apple. That's what real businesses do; wait for a controlled, predictable upgrade that's garaunteed not to shut the company down for a few superfluous features that some editing nerds "must Have". God your like a 13 year old kid.

What is it with you bleeding edge types. Relax, it's like you forget we used to do all of this stuff with AVID (expensive), Media 100 (clunky) and Premier (useless). I mean have any of you guys seen a news room? Those guys are still using BETA tapes, Mixers and networks from 1990. There isn't a single firewire cable in sight. Honestly I don't think any of you supposed editors would even know how to hook up a deck to one of these machines.

Regarding CS3 it'll work and most likely just fine. Adobe is just not supporting it. Get it? No technical support. The problem is not that it won't work at all. Since you probably pirated the software anyway (otherwise you'd just upgrade cheapskate) your technical support situation doesn't even change.

Before everyone let's their outrage get out of control, take a look at the upgrade prices. They're cheap and if you can't afford it then perhaps you should take a look at your business model and consider doing something else with you business because an $800 upgrade even for their most expensive "complete" package is hardly outrageous or not affordable for even a small company. We spend more than that in tapes and hard drives in a couple of days.

It's pretty crappy news but kind of predictable given that things are still settling down since the OSX/ Intel paradigm shifts. Things are changing quickly and these guys don't have the resources to support aging standards. Adobe should have just re-written in Cocoa to begin with perhaps but how unhappy would everyone have been with that? LOL

Roll with the punches guys. No one aid you have to upgrade anything, Just wait until you have machines that deserve a new OS and Applications because believe me it's not worth the stress when all you get are a few seconds shaved off your render time, a faster reboot or and fancier ripple dissolve when you close a window.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #106 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macornot View Post

I think the three million other people with the exact same website that we would had built for you bring something to bear here...

I don't entirly agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macornot View Post

...No, I would not charge you 1/3 the cost of a new site (in this case a $599 upgrade) to make a cs3 patch...

Your customers must love that you give them free support when they choose to upgrade, do you factor in buying new software to facilitate this free support of customer's new hardware requirements into the original price you charge? I wonder how that'd make those customers who don't choose to upgrade their sites feel that they've paid extra for no reason?

Not sure I'd feel comfortable working with a business plan that had such an uncertain future? but good luck to you.
post #107 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Regarding CS3 it'll work and most likely just fine. Adobe is just not supporting it. Get it? No technical support.

In my experience, it is very difficult to tell if a product is supported by Adobe or not. Either way, the answer is always "its a font issue" or "its Apple's fault"
post #108 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by james808 View Post

In my experience, it is very difficult to tell if a product is supported by Adobe or not. Either way, the answer is always "its a font issue" or "its Apple's fault"

turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #109 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Would you expect a air plane manufacturer to upgrade and support your prop plane instruments with their current jet plane instruments?

Sorry, but for this particular situation you chose an absurd analogy.

People have a right to be pissed about this. CS3 was one of the most expensive software products out there. To not offer support for folks transitioning to Snow Leopard is a true slap in the face of their installed base.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #110 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by james808 View Post

In my experience, it is very difficult to tell if a product is supported by Adobe or not. Either way, the answer is always "its a font issue" or "its Apple's fault"

Damn, that's funny!

Sadly true, but damn funny none-the-less.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #111 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If you have any memory of the recent evolution of OS X, Adobe has bent over backwards for this platform:

2000 - 2002: Migration of suite from OS 9 to OS X, a completely new OS.

2005-2006: Migration from PPC/Codeweaver to Universal/Xcode. This required changing not just their code base, but their entire development process, using a yet unproven tool: XCode. They even helped Apple improve XCode during this process.

2008- Sorry, Adobe, we changed our mind: no 64-bit Carbon. This forced Adobe to move their entire suite to Cocoa for CS5.

They are doing a remarkable job keeping up with these changes in the course of their regular upgrade cycle. I think things will finally settle down for them, as there is not much left that Apple can do to them, but they have had a rough nine years supporting a huge, complex suite on the Mac platform. We should all be thankful they didn't give up or simply skip major releases on the Mac.

So, exactly how much is Adobe paying you these days?

You claim that Adobe is bending over backwards for this platform. In reality, it's more like asking their installed base to bend over forwards while Adobe slams it home.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #112 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegarm View Post

Considering how frequently Adobe refreshes their Creative Suite line (they're on an 18 month update cycle) and how much it costs for the upgrades, Adobe is doing their customers a great injustice by not supporting even one generation old software.

Are they under any legal obligation to support prior versions.

if not, then is anyone really shocked that they aren't.

anymore than is anyone shocked that Apple dropped PPC from Snow Leopard, given that it is a spec that is out of warranty for them at this point.
post #113 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post


Creative Suite is WAY overpriced for what it offers (very incremental feature increases every 18 months). I bought CS3 as an upgrade to the original CS (missing out CS2) and apart from being Intel native I only noticed very minimal improvements and nothing that helps me be particularly more productive (native speed gain excluded.

LOL...you noticed little in the way of improvements between CS3 and the original CS suite? You are either lying or blind.

CS4 was a nice upgrade to CS3. Yes, it was a bit pricey but there are some nice additional features. I get the feeling that many people are just casual users and because of this, they don't see the benefit of the upgrade and feel the price is outrageous. Maybe for them it is true, but for most professionals it is not.

I have to laugh at the "I am going to steal it" folks. Maybe if instead of stealing Adobe's product, you would purchase and use other product(s), the market would be large enough that there would be more competition for Adobe.

I much rather have Adobe working on a cocoa version of CS5 than spending time on a version of their applications that haven't been sold in more than a year.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #114 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by james808 View Post

Adobe charges premium upgrade pricing for an endless series of maintenance releases, and very rarely ever releases actual bug fixes in between.

That's because Adobe only makes bug fixes in paid upgrades, forcing you to upgrade in order to get the bugs fixed, while introducing new bugs that they won't fix until the next paid upgrade.

This has been Adobe's M.O. since the introduction of CS. They've been pissing me off for years doing this, so, I've stopped getting every single upgrade and wait until the next major release before I'll consider handing over the ridiculously high upgrade fees Adobe charges.

Plus, they've added so many different flavors of Photoshop, it's hard to know which one you actually need anymore.
post #115 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

CS5 will make me want to open my pocketbook. I look forward to real 64bit support.

I agree. As a pro photographer, CS4 didn't give me anything extra that I needed to work on my photos over CS3. I even have CS2 on an older PPC Mac and that still does the job well for my photos. I'll keep using CS3 and will have to try it out with SL. So, if I run into any problems, I will let ya'll know of them.
By the way, if you only want to upgrade just Photoshop and not the whole suite, it is $199.
post #116 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Don't be so damned smug Blur. FCS 3 is not going to change much performance wise under SL. Obviously you barely use Final Cut. If you are editing broadcast material, movies and/ or commercials you wouldn't upgrade anytime soon, less you risk shutting down the entire editing department for a week. No one in this environment would ever risk that.

I wouldn't count on any hardware drivers for SL to be re-written for at least 6 months as it pertains to Matrox or Black Magic or other hardware manufacturers. My studio just upgraded to Leopard 4 months ago because we were waiting for stable reliable driver packages and a couple of updates from Apple. That's what real businesses do; wait for a controlled, predictable upgrade that's garaunteed not to shut the company down for a few superfluous features that some editing nerds "must Have". God your like a 13 year old kid.

What is it with you bleeding edge types. Relax, it's like you forget we used to do all of this stuff with AVID (expensive), Media 100 (clunky) and Premier (useless). I mean have any of you guys seen a news room? Those guys are still using BETA tapes, Mixers and networks from 1990. There isn't a single firewire cable in sight. Honestly I don't think any of you supposed editors would even know how to hook up a deck to one of these machines.

Regarding CS3 it'll work and most likely just fine. Adobe is just not supporting it. Get it? No technical support. The problem is not that it won't work at all. Since you probably pirated the software anyway (otherwise you'd just upgrade cheapskate) your technical support situation doesn't even change.

Before everyone let's their outrage get out of control, take a look at the upgrade prices. They're cheap and if you can't afford it then perhaps you should take a look at your business model and consider doing something else with you business because an $800 upgrade even for their most expensive "complete" package is hardly outrageous or not affordable for even a small company. We spend more than that in tapes and hard drives in a couple of days.

It's pretty crappy news but kind of predictable given that things are still settling down since the OSX/ Intel paradigm shifts. Things are changing quickly and these guys don't have the resources to support aging standards. Adobe should have just re-written in Cocoa to begin with perhaps but how unhappy would everyone have been with that? LOL

Roll with the punches guys. No one aid you have to upgrade anything, Just wait until you have machines that deserve a new OS and Applications because believe me it's not worth the stress when all you get are a few seconds shaved off your render time, a faster reboot or and fancier ripple dissolve when you close a window.

Yaaaawwwwnnn.
post #117 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Yaaaawwwwnnn.

post #118 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Yaaaawwwwnnn.

You're a bit of a tool, aren't you?

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #119 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I wouldn't count on any hardware drivers for SL to be re-written for at least 6 months as it pertains to Matrox or Black Magic or other hardware manufacturers. My studio just upgraded to Leopard 4 months ago because we were waiting for stable reliable driver packages and a couple of updates from Apple. That's what real businesses do; wait for a controlled, predictable upgrade that's garaunteed not to shut the company down for a few superfluous features that some editing nerds "must Have". God your like a 13 year old kid.

What is it with you bleeding edge types. Relax, it's like you forget we used to do all of this stuff with AVID (expensive), Media 100 (clunky) and Premier (useless). I mean have any of you guys seen a news room? Those guys are still using BETA tapes, Mixers and networks from 1990. There isn't a single firewire cable in sight. Honestly I don't think any of you supposed editors would even know how to hook up a deck to one of these machines.

I worked in a TV broadcast station that used BETA software for the entire editing side. Boy was that a wrong move. No computer ever acted the same way twice, perfered to crash rather than work, and half the time our files would go missing (our network system was also beta). We wanted to be one of the first HD TV stations in our area, and we paid for it with the cost of having to troubleshoot our machines. The only reason we used the beta was because of the initial cost. We worked out some sort of cheap deal so the manufacuturers could have a real-life test bed. Totally not worth it.

We didn't use BETA tapes too often, as everything went to the P2 cards... but those were much more unreliable than the tapes. Again, we were on the bleeding edge, with emphasis on the bleeding part!

Its okay to not have bleeding edge. I still have Final Cut Suite 1, and it works quite well now. Won't be upgrading any time soon.
And for the record, in my current job, I use an AVID machine from 2003. Good fun.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #120 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

You're a bit of a tool, aren't you?

Didn't want to entertain SpiffMonkey's unwarranted insults. Remember when you point your finger there are three pointing back at you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard