or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9 - Page 2

post #41 of 104
GPS in new Touch, please. *fingers crossed*

Truly, a passable camera and GPS in a Touch would crush other manufacturers - both GPS and camera. Apple has a continuing revenue stream with apps, music, and videos that the other device manufacturers can't lean on. Not that Apple would cut their margins.

- Jasen.
post #42 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I know - particularly since Steve Jobs would love to honor the memory of his bestest friend in the whole wide world - John Sculley by bringing his project names back to life. ...

Yeah, very unlikely it will be called a Newton.

Back in (that) day, the idea behind the Newton name was that it was a whole new category of devices (computers were Macs, portables were Newtons). In today's nomenclature, most of the desktop type "regular" computers including laptops, are "Macs" and all the mobile devices are "i-somethings." The only exception is the "iMac" which is of course a desktop.

Any new tablet will almost certainly be an "i-something." The more annoying names making the rounds being "iTablet," and "iPad," (and the less likely but much classier "iSlate".)

Since no one in the USA knows much about history however and since the popular website of the same name that Apple is not affiliated with already exists, "iSlate" will likely not be it either. The more modern "iBook" is still a heavy favourite given that Apple already owns it and all it's associations.
post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Really, there is that much discussion about the difference of one day?

I am guessing that the driver for the 9th versus the 8th is that Apple's educational promo for buy a Mac, get an iPod Touch free ends on September 8th.

I certainly was hoping to buy the latest AND take advantage of the promo, but likely won't be able to because of the date finagling.

Mark
post #44 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well if we're going for accuracy... "Well placed anonymous corporate insiders have reluctantly confirmed the Sun will rise in the East and set in the West."

How about:

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

post #45 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

"This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East."

where does it rise if you live in the East?

Easter.
post #46 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Well the thing is this is the first time the songs have been remastered since they came out on CD in 87. And those CDs were derided for the poor quality sound. I don't think the Beatles work on the treadmill method

I'm not enough of a Beatles fan to have tracked that, and if all the digital recordings date back to the 80s then it appears they are due for a remastering. But my point is that other bands/labels seem to 'remaster' far too frequently, in which case one wonders whether the intermediate versions were simply hyped to generate sales. Crying wolf and all that...

But hey - if The Company Formerly Known As Apple Computer, and The Company Still Known As Apple Corps can pull off a joint announcement with genuinely new products all around, it will be a Win-Win situation for all except those who suffix their products with '-dows'.
post #47 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Weren't the last ones supposed to be "very good"? What was wrong with those? If they
were supposed to be leaps and bounds above the prior version how much better can these be?

No the last ones were panned as poorly done from the moment they came out.
post #48 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

If the new iPods don't come with built-in laser beams so I can vanquish my enemies, I'm not getting one.

OK, that's it! No more gaming for you for at least 6 years!
post #49 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So this will make the version of iTunes that comes with Snow Leopard the shortest release lifetime of any Apple product..

Not really. iTunes in Snow Leopard is just 8.2.1, which isn't Snow Leopard specific. As an odd observation, my sound quality in iTunes seems to have significantly degraded with the Snow Leopard GM. I hope this is fixed by iTunes 9 (it probably will be, as it's probably a driver thing).
post #50 of 104
Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

So I'll file that under "duh!". Isn't this pretty much a given at this point?
post #51 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

How about:

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

Not complete enough.

The complete one would be "Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, and revised his target for Apple to $265 per share."
post #52 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post

More like this...

Sources confirm Sun to rise in the East and set in the West.

However, this cannot be independently verified, and has been denied by the parties involved.
post #53 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not complete enough.

The complete one would be "Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, and revised his target for Apple to $265 per share."

Analysts, love them or loathe them, you'd be mad not to loathe them.
post #54 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As opposed to someone who just bought something YESTERDAY?

Apple has a 14-day return/exchange policy. "Yesterday" isn't a problem.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #55 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is a rumor that there will be a dock connector accessory, which has both
a high powered laser and a shark fin mounting bracket.

And Bose will be bringing out a $300 shark fin that looks great but is actually kinda mediocre.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #56 of 104
Quote:

Well if we're going for accuracy... "Well placed anonymous corporate insiders have reluctantly confirmed the Sun will rise in the East and set in the West."

This is Apple Insider, so I think it would be "the horizon based Sun."
post #57 of 104
Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet it was circa 5 years (+-) of the year your were born or technology is a relatively new hobby.

If you're truly interested since it does make for an interesting slice of PDA history...

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(platform)

Some go as far as saying that the Newton was the 1st handheld computer but that's not an accurate statement. Psion beat Apple to the punch by almost 15 years tho their device would hardly be categorized as a 'modern pda' as we know them. None the less they where the 1st. However Apple is credited for coining the acronym PDA but the meaning at that time stood for "Personal Data Assistant" well data was eventually replaced with digital perhaps to avoid any legal wrangling Apple might bring up.

Dave

I'm sure Dr. Millmoss is well aware of the Newton and its history, he's just wondering when we decided that the forthcoming tablet would go by that name-- as am I.
post #58 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Well the thing is this is the first time the songs have been remastered since they came out on CD in 87. And those CDs were derided for the poor quality sound. I don't think the Beatles work on the treadmill method

Well now, I'm from an earlier gen and still play my Abbey Road on a turntable. Oh, the shock!
But, I am starting to convert the analog to digital while cleaning up the clicks and hisses a little bit. I still want to keep some of them because it makes any of the songs sound so much more nostalgic. I take my time on each album and the fun is that I get to play something I really haven't heard in a long time and when I'm finished, it goes on my iPod. I figure I will be done doing this for all of my albums in the year 2020.
post #59 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nice....
post #60 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Well now, I'm from an earlier gen and still play my Abbey Road on a turntable. Oh, the shock!
But, I am starting to convert the analog to digital while cleaning up the clicks and hisses a little bit. I still want to keep some of them because it makes any of the songs sound so much more nostalgic. I take my time on each album and the fun is that I get to play something I really haven't heard in a long time and when I'm finished, it goes on my iPod. I figure I will be done doing this for all of my albums in the year 2020.

Retired, eh?
post #61 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple can generate hype and sales any time of the year with a new product. Why would a January release surprise you? An ~$800 tablet makes a rather pricey Christmas gift anyway. It will be out when it is ready.

For anyone who hasnt read it here is a fascinating article as to how and why the modern Apple works the way it does under Jobs.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

Quote:
"Screw the lead times. You don't have a great product yet! I know burn rates are important, but you'll only get one shot at this, and if you blow it, it's over. .[said Jobs.]

"Let's talk about the bigger question," interrupted Jobs. "Why two machines? [] "Because I see a big problem here," said Jobs. "I was thinking about it all night. I couldn't sleep after Dean came over." There were notes scribbled on the palm of his hand. He explained his experience with the iMac, how there were four models now but he had launched with just one color to give his designers, salespeople, and the public an absolute focus. He had waited seven months to introduce the other models."

For anyone who honestly thinks that launching multiple products of a new computing class and launching because of a certain time of year is more important than getting the product right you have to read that article.
post #62 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East.

Well yes, but only if Steve Jobs says it does.
post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.

There are several ways that the Beatles could be a (large) part of the event:

Cocktail is announced and the entire Beatles albums are available in Cocktail format.
The Beatles: Rock Band available on iPod touch (with guitar accessory or a special touch version).
A special edition Beatles iPod classic (yellow?) with the entire collection (only thing that could save the classic.
A video chat with Paul (and maybe Ringo and Ono and Mrs. Harrison), like the Jobs-Madonna one.

These are my guesses in descending order of probability (I guess the date of 9.9.09 nixed the last one due to the push the Beatles will have with media for the launch of their game.
post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Teh Steve don't roll like that (thankfully).

Apple doesn't clutter up its product line with needlessly-overlapping models. They did in the past (during the 90s) and learned a hard lesson that it only adds work and confusion for everybody, from Apple's own hardware engineers, to retailers, to developers, to customers.

For good counter-examples, see Creative, Sony, Microsoft, and to a certain extent, Linux.

lol i'll agree that its so easy to decide what i want, however the new alu macbooks and keeping the old white macbook? plus making the 13inch a MBP sooo annoying for image... oooo i have a high class macbook pro... the 13 inch one plus the aluminium ACD, make them all aluminium!!! hope they release a new ipod classic or a good ipod that does stuff the iphone wont do, dont want a touch with a camera or nano (a new nano would be nice though without a camera) plus
post #65 of 104
Quote:

Brilliant!
post #66 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But there's an app for that.

Yeah, Quadra I know you are holding off on getting your new Zune until 9/9 to see what Apple is offering first!

Kidding!
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

There are several ways that the Beatles could be a (large) part of the event:

Cocktail is announced and the entire Beatles albums are available in Cocktail format.

Would that be called an- Appletini?
post #68 of 104
Quote:

There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.

Are you trying to tell me, 'Paul McCartney and John Lennon were in the same band at one time?'

Next you will tell me horses sleep standing up! Sheez!
post #69 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Yes, he is the boss. But, with all of the fog in the Bay Area in the AM...how do we know for sure it rises in the east then? Oh, it must be SJs top floor office so we on the ground level can get the lofty information and of course, he does know Zeus personally, doesn't he?
post #70 of 104
iTunes 9 released on 9-9-09? Don't say "nein", say "da"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #71 of 104
Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet it was circa 5 years (+-) of the year your were born or technology is a relatively new hobby.

Oh good grief, I own a freaking Newton. Have since it was new. I was simply wondering how that name crept into this story.

Quote:

I'm sure Dr. Millmoss is well aware of the Newton and its history, he's just wondering when we decided that the forthcoming tablet would go by that name-- as am I.

Thank you.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #72 of 104
Quote:

Who needs to give the authorization for that? Michael Jackson or Yoko Ono?
post #73 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

You realize that if Steve Jobs said as part of his, one more thing, segment that the sun did rise in the west, some people on this board would repeat it as gospel and flame anyone who suggested otherwise.

post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I will bet my left foot that Steve not only gives the keynote, but also has "one more thing" to offer at the end.

John Lennon?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #75 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Who needs to give the authorization for that? Michael Jackson or Yoko Ono?

Jackson has nothing to do with the actual recordings just the publishing rites.

I'd assume the agreement would have to be given by Apple corp., EMI, Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and the Harrison estate
post #76 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I will bet my left foot that Steve not only gives the keynote, but also has "one more thing" to offer at the end.

Heather Mills?
post #77 of 104
9.9.9 is the last day in all of our lifetimes that can be represented with three digits.
post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You realize that if Steve Jobs said as part of his, one more thing, segment that the sun did rise in the west, some people on this board would repeat it as gospel and flame anyone who suggested otherwise.

What are you implying Paul? Why wouldn't it be gospel if Steve said it??? (
post #79 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Hell, I've been known to hit the start button on my TEAC A4010S 4 track reel to reel on occasion.

As for the quality of sound, it's REAL hard to beat a fine LP in my opinion.

Skip
post #80 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

9.9.9 is the last day in all of our lifetimes that can be represented with three digits.

What happened to the '200' part of the year?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9