or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Pluralising with apostrophe-s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pluralising with apostrophe-s - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Wlel, I've been tlod taht I'm vrey obesravnt.

As lnog as the wdors hvae the corerct fisrt and lsat letetrs, and the rihgt nubmer, you can raed it jsut fnie. Taht's prbobaly why no one noitecd beofre.

mybae oehtr polepe ntioecd but dnid't say ayihtnng?

(hint: I noticed a long time ago but didn't mention it; though I did think it was/is amusing)
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Wlel, I've been tlod taht I'm vrey obesravnt.

As lnog as the wdors hvae the corerct fisrt and lsat letetrs, and the rihgt nubmer, you can raed it jsut fnie. Taht's prbobaly why no one noitecd beofre.

Yup. That's why I did it!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #43 of 51
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

I guess that's the attitude that results in the dumbing down of language. People who don't care are annoyed by those that do care. Oh well. The reverse is also true.

1700 years ago people were dumbing-down Latin. It became, among others, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian. Darn.

Roman colonies in Brittania had some impact on the Old English, which then became Middle English.

The French invaded the same place in 1066 and the courts of England came to speak French. Eventually, this rubbed off and we came into Modern English.

So if Latin and French weren't dumbed down, English wouldn't even exist. Blow me.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

1700 years ago people were dumbing-down Latin. It became, among others, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian. Darn.

Roman colonies in Brittania had some impact on the Old English, which then became Middle English.

The French invaded the same place in 1066 and the courts of England came to speak French. Eventually, this rubbed off and we came into Modern English.

So if Latin and French weren't dumbed down, English wouldn't even exist. Blow me.

You forgot the Norse, who would occasionally whip up on them Saxons just for fun and make them learn to talk funny.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Blow me.

No, er, thanks. But that was a highly intelligent way to end your post.
And, my post was not in response to one of yours (isn't this the first?) so why the grade school comeback? Note that I already indicated that it cuts both ways.

And your sources are? No one's an expert without attribution; or everyone is, on the internet.

Latin is still spoken at the Vatican, I suppose.
post #47 of 51
Thread Starter 
I read somewhere that English was made up of a dozen or more languages with a lot of their spelling, syntax, sentence structure, etc.
Some of us have read Middle English. It is odd but discernible. Old English, on the other hand, is completely different in structure, words, syntax, etc.
As someone said, if it weren't for the languages that were forced on the people of the British Isles, English wouldn't be what it is today.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I read somewhere that English was made up of a dozen or more languages with a lot of their spelling, syntax, sentence structure, etc.
Some of us have read Middle English. It is odd but discernible. Old English, on the other hand, is completely different in structure, words, syntax, etc.
As someone said, if it weren't for the languages that were forced on the people of the British Isles, English wouldn't be what it is today.

English is the kind of language that roughs up other languages in dark alleys and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

If you (meaning anyone in this thread) are a college student, do yourself a favor and take a "History of the English Language" course. It's a completely fascinating subject, partly because of the transformations of the language and partly because of the "were forced" bit.

Many years ago, I was in Battle with my HEL prof and, as we stood on the hill overlooking the site where William conquered with his Norman invasion (meaning NORTH man...they were essentially Vikings who had settled in northern France), my prof teared up a little and said quietly "5,000 men died here that dayall of them speaking perfectly good English."
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post


oh yes, it's this again. every year, sometimes 2-3x a year...there is the apostrophe thread. Gotta' love it. Been happening since at least 2001. It's one of the things which makes AI cozy, for me anyway.
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

1700 years ago people were dumbing-down Latin. It became, among others, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian. Darn.

Roman colonies in Brittania had some impact on the Old English, which then became Middle English.

The French invaded the same place in 1066 and the courts of England came to speak French. Eventually, this rubbed off and we came into Modern English.

So if Latin and French weren't dumbed down, English wouldn't even exist. Blow me.


you say dumbing down, I say evolution.
you regression, I say progression.

tomatoe, tomatoe, let's call the whole thing off
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

"5,000 men died here that dayall of them speaking perfectly good English."

And see what good that did them?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Pluralising with apostrophe-s