or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod line inventory low as Apple September event approaches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod line inventory low as Apple September event approaches - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

And not so recent. The third gen iPod came out years ago (2003).

I don't know why they aren't working for you. Do you have the "live updating" box ticked for the smart playlists that you are trying to use? (select the smart playlist in iTunes and press command-i to bring up the smart playlist info.)


Yes, live updating is checked. I thought the iPod playlists were just dumb holders, meaning iTunes did the smart playlist updates and then a sync was required to update the iPod playlists.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yes. Playcounts get updated too. Try it. Find a song in iTunes that hasn't been played for a while, then find it on your iPod and play it on the iPod. Then sync the iPod with iTunes and check that the "last played" date and play count have been updated in iTunes.


Good, thanks for your help.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It just isn't where Apple is going. Apple is going solid state and iPhone OS to connect to their app store and make more $$$ off of its install base.

I'm hoping they will do a touch with a large (at least 320GB) hard drive. As a photographer, if I could hook up a USB card reader and dump photos in the field that would kick but!

I'm sure there are even more use cases for a touch with a large hard drive. Otherwise I will use my iPhone only and get something else for my photo dumping.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's not all about lossless music. I have no lossless music on my iPod (it's all 128 or 256 kbps), and even if there were a 64 GB touch it wouldn't be big enough for my content which includes music, podcasts, video (nearly all from iTunes), and photos.

I know the argument is "you don't need to keep all your content on your iPod, you can just rotate content." Well, I've got much better things to do with my time than manually manage content on my iPod. And the touch still has the major limitation (in my opinion) of not being able to be used as a storage device. It has other limitations compared to my 5 gen iPod (no FM, can't download photos from my camera), but the lack of storage functionality is a big negative. Granted, the touch has other huge advantages, but while I'd be willing to replace my iPod with a touch, I don't want to have to supplement it (ie, don't want to have to carry around both devices).

Amen! I would love a touch with a hard drive.

And it's not just media - the TomTom gps app starts at a gig for north america maps - add more regions and it goes up from there!

I am anxiously awaiting the death of rotating mechanical storage, but it stil has a place (undortunately).
post #44 of 58
will this mean a change in current iPhone line-up. maybe a price deduction?
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Amen! I would love a touch with a hard drive.

And it's not just media - the TomTom gps app starts at a gig for north america maps - add more regions and it goes up from there!

I am anxiously awaiting the death of rotating mechanical storage, but it stil has a place (undortunately).

Well intels new super-fanatastic 160 GB SSd drive can be had for about $200 if you are a manufacturer. Maybe Apple's made a deal with intel and the Classic and the touch will come in 80 and 160 GB sizes.
post #46 of 58
I would like to have a FM radio receiver in it. No idea what the impact is on size, cost, etc but would really like to listen to the radio on the way into work.

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply
post #47 of 58
I am buying an iPhone this week. I have the feeling a new iphone will come out soon then I'll be stuck with an inferior version. I was hoping the iPhone would also be 64GB.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I am buying an iPhone this week. I have the feeling a new iphone will come out soon then I'll be stuck with an inferior version. I was hoping the iPhone would also be 64GB.

Would you like to wait for 2010 ( 4th generation iPhone )?
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by manray View Post

will this mean a change in current iPhone line-up. maybe a price deduction?

No. Not happening.
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

I would like to have a FM radio receiver in it. No idea what the impact is on size, cost, etc but would really like to listen to the radio on the way into work.

just buy an iphone and listen to the radio via one of the radio apps
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

I would like to have a FM radio receiver in it. No idea what the impact is on size, cost, etc but would really like to listen to the radio on the way into work.

Not going to happen. People have been asking for an FM tuner for years. Apple has had plenty of time to add one if they wanted. There are plenty of other players that have tuners. Also, digital radio is coming up. Analog FM is a fading, backward looking format. No reason for Apple to bother.

I have my fingers crossed for GPS in the Touch. A GPS enabled point-and-shoot camera under $250 would be great - oh, and it'll have Wi-Fi, play music & movies, games, lots of apps.

Does the Touch have the new dock connector and device API? That'd be nice, too.

- Jasen.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune66 View Post

and same form factor - That would be a killer Touch ...

Apple should come out with an APP for the Touch that mimics the classic's wheel and small screen above it interface. This way they can get rid of the classic yet still appeal to users that desire that look for scrolling etc.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Amen! I would love a touch with a hard drive.


That seems the most logical evolution of the classic.
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

That seems the most logical evolution of the classic.

I hope so! While they are at it, I hope they take advantage of the extra thickness the hard drive requires and beef up the battery too. Could make a killer device....
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

That seems the most logical evolution of the classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I hope so! While they are at it, I hope they take advantage of the extra thickness the hard drive requires and beef up the battery too. Could make a killer device....

For your sake I hope you get it, but I dont see how it can a logical step. The first Touches were 8GB/16GB, when they could have used 80GB/120GB/160GB HDDs. 1.8 HDD technology doesnt appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed. I just dont see how its an evolutionary step when it appears that 1.8 HDD makers appear to have put the brakes on these drives and Flash drives of this size are now being made with these HDD capacities, albeit still at a higher cost per GB although its dropping fairly quickly.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

For your sake I hope you get it, but I dont see how it can a logical step.

There are people saying the classic should be removed entirely, because it has a hard disk. I disagree.

The classic serves a purpose, and it revolves around the size of storage. I think that should remain for those who need it. However, it may be time for it to move to the same touch platform as the iPod Touch/iPhone.

So that's why I think it's logical - high capacity should stay, but the form factor is debatable.

Quote:
The first Touches were 8GB/16GB, when they could have used 80GB/120GB/160GB HDDs. 1.8 HDD technology doesnt appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed. I just dont see how its an evolutionary step when it appears that 1.8 HDD makers appear to have put the brakes on these drives and Flash drives of this size are now being made with these HDD capacities, albeit still at a higher cost per GB although its dropping fairly quickly.

If the cost of solid state drives is close enough to hard disk drive technology, then absolutely that makes more sense. I'd like to think they offer a 128GB iPod Touch at the same price as a 120GB iPod Classic though....

Then again, Apple hasn't been shy of dropping a few users to keep a vision pure - and perhaps a 64GB iPod Touch is enough?
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

There are people saying the classic should be removed entirely, because it has a hard disk. I disagree.

The classic serves a purpose, and it revolves around the size of storage. I think that should remain for those who need it. However, it may be time for it to move to the same touch platform as the iPod Touch/iPhone.

So that's why I think it's logical - high capacity should stay, but the form factor is debatable.

If the cost of solid state drives is close enough to hard disk drive technology, then absolutely that makes more sense. I'd like to think they offer a 128GB iPod Touch at the same price as a 120GB iPod Classic though....

Then again, Apple hasn't been shy of dropping a few users to keep a vision pure - and perhaps a 64GB iPod Touch is enough?

Im not sure a 64GB Touch is an option now for the same space without a price increase over the current 32GB model.

That said, I think changing the Classic is a mistake for a technical and usability standpoint. The use of a HDD means that a small display with a less power hungry OS has to be used. On top of that, I think there are a group of Classic lovers that just dont want an overly complex device. Keep It Simple, Stupid works best for this aging device.

If making a HDD-based Touch was viable I think that they would have done it when the Touch was first introduced, not when the capacity is getting so close with NAND. LCD, CPU and RAM power savings havent increased enough, nor battery efficiency with LiIon, nor the speed of access of 1.8 HDDs to warrant the use in the Touch. It just doesnt make sense to me at this point in the game.

I think that Apple keeping the Classic has everything to do with the current sales figures for the device, but Apple doesnt break down the numbers per iPod so we really dont know. If the sales are high enough to warrant the continued making and stocking then they will continue to sell it. If not, they will stop it.

Remember that Apple canned the dual-platter 160GB HDD iPod, moved to a single model single-platter 120GB iPod to match the Zune (which is now being discontinued) and I see no evidence of any further development of 1.8 HDDs.

I think that worst case, it gets dropped from the line up. Best case, it maintains as is, not even with a camera.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Im not sure a 64GB Touch is an option now for the same space without a price increase over the current 32GB model.

That said, I think changing the Classic is a mistake for a technical and usability standpoint. The use of a HDD means that a small display with a less power hungry OS has to be used. On top of that, I think there are a group of Classic lovers that just dont want an overly complex device. Keep It Simple, Stupid works best for this aging device.

If making a HDD-based Touch was viable I think that they would have done it when the Touch was first introduced, not when the capacity is getting so close with NAND. LCD, CPU and RAM power savings havent increased enough, nor battery efficiency with LiIon, nor the speed of access of 1.8 HDDs to warrant the use in the Touch. It just doesnt make sense to me at this point in the game.

I think that Apple keeping the Classic has everything to do with the current sales figures for the device, but Apple doesnt break down the numbers per iPod so we really dont know. If the sales are high enough to warrant the continued making and stocking then they will continue to sell it. If not, they will stop it.

Remember that Apple canned the dual-platter 160GB HDD iPod, moved to a single model single-platter 120GB iPod to match the Zune (which is now being discontinued) and I see no evidence of any further development of 1.8 HDDs.

I think that worst case, it gets dropped from the line up. Best case, it maintains as is, not even with a camera.

+1. However, I have a strong feeling that the Classic will be updated with a bigger memory space and will retain the same design and probably an OS refresh IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod line inventory low as Apple September event approaches