or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Snow Leopard's still got too many bugs. Don't install just yet!

Snow Leopard's still got too many bugs. Don't install just yet!

post #1 of 42
Salespeople at 3 Apple resellers I visited today and yesterday advise to NOT install SL yet. Too many bugs and probs. They say better to wait until OSX.6.1 or OSX.6.2, which might be a few months...
post #2 of 42
I am right there with you. This is really frustrating. X11 is weird and taking forever to load, MacPorts is pretty much broken for some reason. Binaries seem to have been moved into /Developer/usr/bin from /usr/bin. vim is only using about 20 lines instead of an entire X11 window. Creating terminal tabs has a lag and a beach ball .... Of course some apps stopped working, but those will all come in time.

Spotlight lags, my System Preferences won't open the Sound pane ....
post #3 of 42
One thing broke on me and it's pretty much the only thing I really hoped didn't break.

My printer no longer works, and I even installed the driver from HP (twice). When you try to print it starts the printer (HP P1005), I can see the ready light blinking like it is warming up, then the Print Manager fails and pushes out some error.

I cannot get it to print, and wish there was a way for me to go back to osx.5.8 and just be happy, like I was.....
post #4 of 42
post #5 of 42
I'm using it on three machines and the only thing thing that doesn't work is listening to sirius and logitech control center. Both of these have workarounds and expect to have proper fixes in the near future.
post #6 of 42
My VPN software (Checkpoint SecureClient) no longer works and I'm waiting for an update.

Logitech LCC didn't work at first, but I installed the package inside the main installer to work around it. Seems to be working fine now, a minor issue.

CS4 in general seems to be problematic, mainly when doing Save for Web & Devices and in Dreamweaver doing an inline src or url insert of an image. It's not even consistent, but common enough to kick my ass if I haven't saved.

Also, CyberDuck (a free FTP client) stopped working, but there is a 3.3 beta available that seems to work fine.
post #7 of 42
I upgraded four Macs so far, and the only thing that "broke" is Multiclutch, which was abandoned by its author back in 2008.
post #8 of 42
Hard to put your finger on exactly what action causes the bug but since installing Snow leopard i have already had multiple complete system freezes with no way out.
This is a bit aggravating as I thought Snow Leopard was meant to reduce his kind of thing and segregate individual component failures that everything else could continue.

Not to say Leopard was perfect I was getting crashes with that as well with most recent version.

Culprits seem to be Safari (was already getting the odd problem with Leopard) and Iphoto particularly when using faces.

Worse tho is Time Machine where the backup dusk keeps going into read only mode and thus cannot backup. Am wondering if thee is some incompatibility problem between the OS and the oldish LaCie backup disk.

In all cases a complete restart was required. I have installed all the latest versions of Ilife so thats not the reason.
post #9 of 42
It may pay to check if there is any firmware updates for the LaCie drive. Also what type of connection does the drive use?

What apps are open and running at the time of the total freeze up?
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

Hard to put your finger on exactly what action causes the bug but since installing Snow leopard i have already had multiple complete system freezes with no way out.
This is a bit aggravating as I thought Snow Leopard was meant to reduce his kind of thing and segregate individual component failures that everything else could continue.

Not to say Leopard was perfect I was getting crashes with that as well with most recent version.

Culprits seem to be Safari (was already getting the odd problem with Leopard) and Iphoto particularly when using faces.

Worse tho is Time Machine where the backup dusk keeps going into read only mode and thus cannot backup. Am wondering if thee is some incompatibility problem between the OS and the oldish LaCie backup disk.

In all cases a complete restart was required. I have installed all the latest versions of Ilife so thats not the reason.

The LaCie is connected by Firewire. There was a firmware update. Have applied it, erased and reformatted the disk and am backing uop from scratch. Let's see how that does.
post #11 of 42
]The LaCie is connected by Firewire. There was a firmware update. Have applied it, erased and reformatted the disk and am backing uop from scratch. Let's see how that does.
post #12 of 42
The other problems seem to be related to Iphoto tho it also crashed once when switching users.
post #13 of 42
A more informative way of expressing this would be:
"All major OS releases still have too many bugs. Don't install until the first or second patch is released."

Depending on how someone uses their computer, this may or may not be advice to head.

But it is important for people to realize that this isn't limited to just Mac OS 10.6. Vista had similar problems and OS 10.0 was a downright clusterfuck for some users. (Remember how using a modem with dual processors would guarantee a complete lock-up in a matter of minutes? No really, 100% of the time. Modems were completely worthless when running two processors... until 10.1. Or was it 10.2?)

In other words, if we're truly out to educate people, the advice should be given at the abstract level. All major software releases can be problematic until the first or second patch. If the user wants to play and can deal with problems that might come up, go for it. Otherwise wait until the bugs are fixed.
post #14 of 42
Well it looked like backup was ok, but now its saying not enough room. As I have only used around 40gb of disk its hard to believe it cannot fit in the 100+Gb free on the backup. Clearly still a LaCie problems
post #15 of 42
Working fine for me. I'm enjoying the speed and the new features. (yes, they exist). CS3 even working well for my needs.

Just back up first and give it a whirl. You can always go back.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #16 of 42
I disagree with you completely, and feel badly for you. But you may be the exception.

Four upgrades today - 3 Leopard, 1 Tiger (2 MBP, 1 MBA, 1 iMac) - and each one was flawless. I am floored.

With the exception of a couple of trivial things (like Cisco's VPN, which I have no doubt will be fixed soon), everything worked superbly.

Apple has delivered yet again.
post #17 of 42
Lots of random application crashes here, usually when opening or saving documents. Safari just quits whenever it feels like it. I've upgraded with each major version of Mac OS X and Snow Leopard is the only one that's given me such headaches. After three days I've reverted back to Leopard and everything is peachy once again.

Snow Leopard was supposed to be a fine-tune update of Mac OS, i.e., fix and streamline it so everything is stable, fast and efficient. I'm disappointed.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Snow Leopard was supposed to be a fine-tune update of Mac OS, i.e., fix and streamline it so everything is stable, fast and efficient. I'm disappointed.

That's an understatement, afaic.
Snow Leopard is clearly an immature product, and Apple should be deeply ashamed that they have released it in this state, causing thousands of loyal users unnecessary problems and headaches.
post #19 of 42
I'm using it on 4 Macs and have been nothing but satisfied. Nice speed improvements and UI tweaks all around.

These aren't all new computers either. One of them is a several year old white intel iMac.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Lots of random application crashes here, usually when opening or saving documents. Safari just quits whenever it feels like it. I've upgraded with each major version of Mac OS X and Snow Leopard is the only one that's given me such headaches. After three days I've reverted back to Leopard and everything is peachy once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

I'm using it on 4 Macs and have been nothing but satisfied. Nice speed improvements and UI tweaks all around.

These aren't all new computers either. One of them is a several year old white intel iMac.

I.o.w.: Snow Leopard shows an extremely flakey performance. A fundamental hallmark of bad software!

jpennington is one of the lucky ones.
Sofar.
post #21 of 42
I wish I would have waited. It took out my iMac.
post #22 of 42
Well I'm generally happy but so far there has been a few learning curve type things that have slowed me down. Programs no longer has a contextual menu attached to the icon in the dock, iTunes can't be controlled there anymore nor can Adium.

CS4 was crashing quite a bit but I fixed that by deleting each programs prefs.

I'm excited about the new services menu the iphoto pack you can get at apple is great (emailing each person form a photo is really handy)

I look forward to 6.1

flick.
post #23 of 42
To all new Apple users: Wait for a month MINIMUM before installing OS upgrades. The temptation will be strong, but you'll save on the headaches by waiting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To all new Apple users: Wait for a month MINIMUM before installing OS upgrades. The temptation will be strong, but you'll save on the headaches by waiting.

Agreed - punches self in face

flick.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

Well I'm generally happy but so far there has been a few learning curve type things that have slowed me down. Programs no longer has a contextual menu attached to the icon in the dock, iTunes can't be controlled there anymore nor can Adium.

CS4 was crashing quite a bit but I fixed that by deleting each programs prefs.

I'm excited about the new services menu the iphoto pack you can get at apple is great (emailing each person form a photo is really handy)

I look forward to 6.1

flick.

Control of iTunes via dock works fine here, but I don't have Adium or CS4 to test.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Control of iTunes via dock works fine here, but I don't have Adium or CS4 to test.

Hey it does work.

Hot tip for the day. Hold the control key while click the dock Icon brings up the control menus for an application.

fantastic. one thing off my gripe list.

flick.
post #27 of 42
I installed SecureClient VPN finally by doing some simple changes to install files. Works excellently. Hopefully Checkpoint will have a formal update for everyone else.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Waiting also lets 3rd party developers update their programs too.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Salespeople at 3 Apple resellers I visited today and yesterday advise to NOT install SL yet. Too many bugs and probs. They say better to wait until OSX.6.1 or OSX.6.2, which might be a few months...

By all means, bet your wallet on 3rd party sales folks. They don't have non-SL ready products to push on you after all.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Waiting also lets 3rd party developers update their programs too.

3rd party devs have had 18 months to update.
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

lmao. Nobody at Apple would ever tell you that. Not anyone who still works there.

Nothing wrong with SL. Works fine. So does 6.1 which took months, err, a week, to release.
post #32 of 42
Macbook Pro 1,1 and recent Macbook: flawless, no issues. Especially love the faster networking connections to my windows home server.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is the hurry? OS 10.5 works great. Developers should take as much time as they need and do a good job.
post #34 of 42
SL has killed my wireless connection between my iMac and TimeCapsule... Applestore staff had nothing to suggest. I am not the only one either:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....49690&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....54818&tstart=0

Not good for software updates to stop your own products working together properly Apple!
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

But Apple did catch the developers by surprise. When Apple said that SL would release in the September timeframe many developers were expecting the end of September not the end of August. So many developers were caught flat footed.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I wish I would have waited. It took out my iMac.

Again I say "To post an outlandish statement like this without providing details makes it UNBELIEVABLE" !!!
Either details or go home.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #37 of 42
It's irresponsible to advise others to avoid installing the OS entirely, due to your own anecdotal experiences.
post #38 of 42
Again, this is why I'm glad to be on this forum. I am sorry to hear of all the problems you all are having though thanks in advance for saving me any future issues.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Again I say "To post an outlandish statement like this without providing details makes it UNBELIEVABLE" !!!
Either details or go home.

Ah, the attack the one with a problem to shield Apple crowd that is unfortunately becoming far too common. Here's your details so you can be quiet.

Installed Snow Leopard. Next day, it stopped working all of a sudden and wouldn't recognize the hard drive anymore. Called Applecare finally got it to recognize the hard drive by zapping the P-RAM, but it had switched the hard drive identify from either 0 or 1 (whichever is default) to disk number 7. Apple care said it was probably going related to Snow Leopard and Applecare would have the store wave the fee for data recovery. Store genius took a look and said the install has caused the hard drive to fail...and they wouldn't honor Applecare's exemption on the data recovery.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkin View Post

I am right there with you. This is really frustrating. X11 is weird and taking forever to load, MacPorts is pretty much broken for some reason. Binaries seem to have been moved into /Developer/usr/bin from /usr/bin. vim is only using about 20 lines instead of an entire X11 window. Creating terminal tabs has a lag and a beach ball .... Of course some apps stopped working, but those will all come in time.

Spotlight lags, my System Preferences won't open the Sound pane ....

Usually these kind of things imply a lot of cruft in your install that a clean install or archive/install would solve. Macports being broken is normal since that seems to happen with every major OS upgrade. But based on the rest of your post my guess is you have a pretty customized setup and because the OS was a major upgrade not everything went well.

As a developer and very heavy user of SL, while not everything is perfect, its a great release.

For those who complain that SL was supposed to be some polish only - while that's Apple's marketing, its not true. SL is a pretty big change to the underside of the OS. The kernel uses GCD instead of plain threads now - this in itself is a huge change to how stuff works. Everything is 64-bit which means that a lot of stuff has been optimized, polished, and as a side-effect - is new.

SL was tested heavily by Apple and devs. But because of the architecture, I find that old cruft affects it more than people realize. I found that until I updated a few key things I used they all broke badly.

The one bug that seems to be completely Apple's and completely irresponsible for Apple to let be is crashing in open/save dialogs. That's inexcusable. Now lets see if 10.6.1 helps with that.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Snow Leopard's still got too many bugs. Don't install just yet!