or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Snow Leopard touchscreen "evidence," trademarked Apple chat bubbles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snow Leopard touchscreen "evidence," trademarked Apple chat bubbles - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

Imagine, the world's most fantastic Easter Egg...

...snip...

Am I mad?

That's for you and your doctor to decide.
But you're certainly wrong.

:d
post #42 of 53
>That's for you and your doctor to decide.



>But you're certainly wrong.

but wouldn't it be amazing?

(Easy to check, there are probably sensor wires somewhere on touch screen devices.)
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Do you really think that more people buy an app for it was rejected before?
count to 3 and start thinking again. any difference?

For my money, I will never purchase Chess Wars, and I am a chess player currently looking for a good chess app. With multiple show-stopping bugs, this person knows little about programming and even less about public relations. Whatever wrong Apple did is a mote compared to the beam in his eye.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #44 of 53
considering the number of apps, I'm guessing the minimal numbers of overtly upset complaints fall into the "can't please everybody all of the time" mantra, and don't read much into it.

if its so bad, why aren't developers leaving the app store in droves? obviously it couldn't be profitable if it was this bad for all developers...

hmm...
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

considering the number of apps, I'm guessing the minimal numbers of overtly upset complaints fall into the "can't please everybody all of the time" mantra, and don't read much into it.

if its so bad, why aren't developers leaving the app store in droves? obviously it couldn't be profitable if it was this bad for all developers...

hmm...

Developers aren't leaving because the biggest, most robust, money-making platform is the iPhone, bar none. Apps will get rejected now and then. The average user doesn't notice, barely cares, and is making quite a few developers quite a bit of money.

Most of this "App Store woes" stuff lives and dies in the tiny corners of the net that are these Apple forums, and are spun into whatever shape and form by tech writers. It does not, and never has, reflected Apple's market. In other words: no impact.
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are kind of answering your own question here and misleading everyone at the same time. The only app that's close to being *exactly* the same, (which is the actual requirement), is Facebook. Tweetie for instance is not similar at all.

I agree that these bubbles should probably be part of the iPhone API, but if they are not it's pretty obvious that they shouldn't be copied

Umm, Tweetie has a few themes built in and one of them looks exactly like the glossy bubbles in Messages. Also, BeeJiveIM has green and clear glossy bubbles just like messages.app.

What about FakeSMS? That looks exactly like Messages.app.

I brought up a very good point just because you are misinformed, doesn't mean I'm wrong.
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

The OS has had an on-screen keyboard for some time. Improving it means nothing accept that it needed improving. This is neither evidence nor hint of a touchscreen device... the madness has to end.

Yeah, agreed. that keyboard just looks like a move from bitmap to vector/ scalable graphics. And it's clearly nothing Apple would use as an actual on screen interface to be used as the main input. - It looks really bad!
I'm sure they have an on screen multitouch keyboard waiting, but this is not it.
post #48 of 53
I'm growing weary of these developer rants. You'd think by now that, if this is their business, developers would have learned how to smoothly get their apps through the review process.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeecroft View Post

I'm growing weary of these developer rants. You'd think by now that, if this is their business, developers would have learned how to smoothly get their apps through the review process.

If he had no point then I would agree, but the whole thing about the speech bubble smells a little arbitrary for mine.
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

If he had no point then I would agree, but the whole thing about the speech bubble smells a little arbitrary for mine.

Arbitrary of not, there was a simple solution from Apple and instead of following it, he went ballistic in public. If I we Apple, I would close his account and wash my hands of him. There is still the matter of the multiple show-stopping bugs. We clearly do not know the whole story here. We do know enough, however, to realize that this case is not the poster child for developer rights in the app store.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

Umm, Tweetie has a few themes built in and one of them looks exactly like the glossy bubbles in Messages. ... I brought up a very good point just because you are misinformed, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I don't know about the others, but I use Tweeties chat bubbles interface every day all day and it isn't like the Apple's bubbles at all.

If you think it is, then you just aren't looking that closely so I'm going to just discount what you say about the other apps because it's obvious your perception is off.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Arbitrary of not, there was a simple solution from Apple and instead of following it, he went ballistic in public. If I we Apple, I would close his account and wash my hands of him. There is still the matter of the multiple show-stopping bugs. We clearly do not know the whole story here. We do know enough, however, to realize that this case is not the poster child for developer rights in the app store.

If you wouldn't feel aggrieved that other applications had similar speech bubbles and were already in the app store, I would be most surprised.

Notwithstanding the merit of the product itself, iirc that is the reason apple rejected the app
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

The bigger problem is the size of the keyboard. The onscreen keyboard is a full Apple keyboard with num pad. I displayed it on my 24" display and put my fingers on it as if to type. Very comfortable fit on a 24" display. Not even thinkable on a 10".

The onscreen keyboard is now resizable. I don't think the old one was. The old one seemed, as many note, to be more for finding the character you wanted in different fonts. It had only two sizes (a long time ago) and allowed you to switch fonts.

The latest version seems to be more geared toward helping input as it doesn't seem to help with finding characters in different fonts.

So it does seem to be leaning more toward input functions, and is resizable -- so it would/could work on any size screen -- albeit awkwardly.

But, it does seem to have been thrown together because in two minutes of messing with it, I found two reproducible bugs, one mild and one amazingly un-Mac like.

First, if you enable the keyboard and use the radio button close it, as soon as you type something, it pops back up -- even though the menu suggests the keyboard is not visible as it offers "Show Keyboard Viewer". Select "Show Keyboard Viewer" and the keyboard stays on screen, but the menu changes to "Hide Keyboard Viewer". Select "Hide Keyboard Viewer" and it closes it and it stays closed. A minor bug, but something that could really frustrate someone if the silly keyboard kept popping up.

The real interesting bug is... open the keyboard, resize it to over half screen (not sure how big it has to be), then drag part of it off the bottom of the screen and pull it back up. On my little Black MacBook, this logs all users out automatically -- regardless of apps/processes running -- straight to the log in screen. THAT is a serious bug, and something I've not seen the likes of since OS 7.

Anyway, like a lot of people, I'm hoping for a large format iPod or a tablet type device. This keyboard would "work", but isn't as clean as I'd imagine Apple would deploy -- but there have been plenty of other things I didn't "get" when they were introduced -- only to see them refined later.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Snow Leopard touchscreen "evidence," trademarked Apple chat bubbles