or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Of course Apple has started right away on making fixes to the OS.

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.

They arent starting right away, they have never stopped. They didnt go on vacation after the GM build was set up until the DVD was sold in stores last week. The Betas were coming frequently in the end, and it has been a month now since the last GM build was set so of course you can expect a beta to his the ADC developers soon.

As for the Snow Leopards stability, this idea about the OS only getting "real stable till around the 10.x.4 is nonsense. Snow Leopard is more stable now than Leopard was at a couple point updates in. They beat their dead line and didnt do a massive UI overhaul at nearly the last minute like they did with Leopard.
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is it just me, or has the Snowy Leopard upgrade been successful for most of the users?

Fine here. Aside from an issue with SL recognizing my RAID mirror setup (which I think I borked on my own before installing SL), everything's been great.

Setting up my HP Laserjet P2015 was actually easier and quicker than in Leopard, meaning, no work on my part.
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ever since 10A421a, Safari likes to produce the lovely spinning beach ball frequently when going from page to page. I bet it's flash related.

Apple downgraded flash with SL (there is another article here on AI talking about it) I had the same issue, downloaded flash from Adobe again and the problem went away. Flash was also causing my CPU usage to spike and kicking the fans on my MBP to run full blast - after re-upgrading flash that stopped also.
post #44 of 91
Try this......

Enter 25 or more rules in the Rules Window of Mail.
When the scroll bar appears the window will extend off the bottom of your screen making both the CANCEL and ACCEPT buttons move off the bottom of the screen. When this happens neither button can be activated by the mouse.

This problem has existed since 10.4.x. I have reported this several times during phone calls with Apple Support Techs. Each time the tech has confirmed the bug and vowed to report it to the proper people. So far.... nothing has been fixed.

Or maybe Safari can be repaired.... Try this... go to this site
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
When animation starts, about 20 sends after page begins to load, try scrolling the map. Scrolling will be very jerky, CPU usage will jump to about 50%. This problem has existed and been repeatedly reported for a couple of years.

Jim
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.

I think thats a pretty gross misstatement. I have no issues, other then a printer driver that needs to be updated - and that's not Apple's fault. Canon has already stated the new driver will be out Wednesday, and if push comes to shove there are several known workarounds posted on the 'net.

Everything else works fine.

Sure some people are having issues - but that's just the nature of the beast. To cite that Mac OSX isn't stable until three or four updates is absurd - all the people who upated just fine usually aren't the ones posting in forums like this
post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I think thats a pretty gross misstatement. I have no issues, other then a printer driver that needs to be updated - and that's not Apple's fault. Canon has already stated the new driver will be out Wednesday, and if push comes to shove there are several known workarounds posted on the 'net.

Everything else works fine.

Sure some people are having issues - but that's just the nature of the beast. To cite that Mac OSX isn't stable until three or four updates is absurd - all the people who upated just fine usually aren't the ones posting in forums like this

+1

And my printer works with SL by default.

So, I have ZERO issues. Not a few, not a couple. Not even one. Zero.
post #47 of 91
On the whole the Snow Leopard upgrade was quick and painless.

The problems after the upgrade that surfaced are:

- Unable to run Dreamweaver/Fireworks MX 2004 versions
- Flash Player downgraded to an earlier version
- Quicktime won't play .mov or .mp4 files from a sharepoint server (some QT components are requesting network access eg. QTKitServer)
- Shockwave won't install on 10.6
- Plaxo plugins for Mail and Addressbook are disabled. This means you lose the ability to see which people in your addressbook are on Plaxo.

The biggest problem though was the Keychain. I was unable to view Keychain entries. "Access is Restricted" was the consistent message.

I ran keychain access firstaid on Keychain and it created a backup of the keychain.
I was then able to connect the saved keychain as Login_Renamed1 and see the previously locked records.

The problem then re-surfaced. So I disabled Mobile Me syncing and re-ran Keychain Firstaid. I then re-enabled syncing with MobileMe and used the advanced tab to push copies of everything up to the MobileMe cloud.

So far things seem to be settling down but the Login section of keychain still seems to have records that are access restricted.
Mark S
Reply
Mark S
Reply
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

I'm hoping the DNS issues are resolved along with support for xerox workcentre printers.

I had the Xerox Workcentre printer issue and said "oh crap!" I went back and downloaded the driver and can now print with no issues.
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is it just me, or has the Snowy Leopard upgrade been successful for most of the users?

Why the confused face? Were you expecting a mess?

My install went pretty well; I've had two problems.

1) iStat Menus doesn't work. I knew about that before upgrading, and they are already promising a fix soon.

2) Last night, I was reading about other people's printer driver issues, and realized I hadn't tested printing. My networked Lexmark laser printer worked perfectly, but I couldn't select my Epson inkjet, which is connected via USB on my Time Capsule. "Nooooo!!!" Fortunately, I started withe the most basic troubleshooting steps, and quickly determined that I had failed to turn it on...

This is my first Mac upgrade; I'm very happy with it. I usually had more problems with Windows service packs!
post #50 of 91
if you are, in fact, a mac user (as i suspect you're not), why don't you just reinstall leopard?

you trolls really amaze me. instead of knocking on microsoft's door, complaining about your os and why there is no innovation, you spend countless hours on sites like these, attempting to tarnish the reputation of apple.

i suspect you're on ballmer's payroll.
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I just found out that the scanning functionality is now built into Apple's Preview and Image Capture. This is awesome. I like not having to use yet another application. The whole print/scan/fax driver thing is really sweat.

So far, I would say it's been my best upgrade ever...but Saft, where are you?

Hey, great! I knew it was in SL "enhancements". I'm visually impaired; thus my interest. Why don't you open a thread and describe your experience more fully, and get a discussion going?

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?

What's your problem? No one can complain about Apple now? I am so tired of you Apple bitches! This new kind of fan boys that only know apple because of the iPod...
I've been a mac user since 1997 and I never seen so bad behaved users since My old days as irc geek when I was a Windows user. What to do about this iPod generation?

I am having problems mainly with two apps quite important in my workflow, and accordingly to the developers it's a problem of snow leopard and not the apps itself...

The upgrade was smooth and my macs are running faster, but till apple fix some rendering problems I will not be able to use the apps I need for my work, I am disappointed with Apple, I paid for the upgrade so I have all the rights to complain about the issues I am having. If you are having any issues good for you, I would like to say the same.
post #53 of 91
We need those printer drivers. the xerox workcentre 7245 driver, mine doesn`t work, and all the other drivers. yes I signed up just to say this, so maybe I`m a troll and a needy one..

Flood those service email adresses at xerox and canon so that they work around the clock on this thing. Massive driver problems as you will find in the apple support SL-forum is not good for the snow leopard.

oddi
post #54 of 91
For anyone that is thinking in upgrading to snow leopard... do yourself a favour and go to:

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

and check if the applications you need are supported by 10.6. Be aware that an app that is not on the list does not mean it is supported or not. Though the webpage is constantly being updated, so you can get the last info about the apps you need.
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

What's your problem? No one can complain about Apple now? I am so tired of you Apple bitches! This new kind of fan boys that only know apple because of the iPod...
I've been a mac user since 1997 and I never seen so bad behaved users since My old days as irc geek when I was a Windows user. What to do about this iPod generation?

I am having problems mainly with two apps quite important in my workflow, and accordingly to the developers it's a problem of snow leopard and not the apps itself...

The upgrade was smooth and my macs are running faster, but till apple fix some rendering problems I will not be able to use the apps I need for my work, I am disappointed with Apple, I paid for the upgrade so I have all the rights to complain about the issues I am having. If you are having any issues good for you, I would like to say the same.

Here's your first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

"I am having problems mainly with two apps" . . . doesn't quite jive with your first post.

In other words, your whine post doesn't quite fit your back-pedalling post.

And what are these "two apps" that you need for work, which apparently no one else here uses?
post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

IIRC, the GPU has to have h.264 acceleration explicitly built in to the silicon. It's not an issue of writing code to do the job. Expect to see it as a feature of future GPU hardware.

Exactly. The point is that every discrete GPU since the ATI X1000 series and the nVidia 7000 series has hardware H.264 acceleration silicon on the GPU. It has been available on Windows from GPU introduction. Lack of support in Snow Leopard is not a hardware issue. It's purely an Apple software issue, either lack of manpower or they just want to force people to upgrade their hardware.
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Here's your first post:



"I am having problems mainly with two apps" . . . doesn't quite jive with your first post.

In other words, your whine post doesn't quite fit your back-pedalling post.

And what are these "two apps" that you need for work, which apparently no one else here uses?

Not that I need to reply but...
The important ones:
Prism 5.0b (GraphPad)
Live Mesh

By the way I also had problems with my printer (HP P1005), Quicksilver, Cyberduck... now solved, though I lost my Quicksilver shortcuts.

I see the horizontal lines on my Safari. Safari can no longer play online radio with wma files using the flip4mac plugin. Cooliris still no solution... and a couple more plugins I have and that stop working
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Here's your first post:



"I am having problems mainly with two apps" . . . doesn't quite jive with your first post.

In other words, your whine post doesn't quite fit your back-pedalling post.

And what are these "two apps" that you need for work, which apparently no one else here uses?

one more thing I was not back -pedalling, and since I pay for my apps I can whine as much as I want if they do not work properly...
post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What it's always been. Apple envy. When you're a Windows sufferer, you're bound to experience it some time. I used to be like that too, LOL.

It is not apple envy you are blinded by your devotion to your god Jobs and your love of Apple. These problems and needed update shows that Apple is no better than MS that you deride. Ths is the same as MS with multiple updates and problems with the operating system. No envy here!
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

I am having problems mainly with two apps quite important in my workflow, and accordingly to the developers it's a problem of snow leopard and not the apps itself...

The upgrade was smooth and my macs are running faster, but till apple fix some rendering problems I will not be able to use the apps I need for my work, I am disappointed with Apple, I paid for the upgrade so I have all the rights to complain about the issues I am having. If you are having any issues good for you, I would like to say the same.

When you have a computer and applications that are important to your workflow, you don't go out and install the most recent update within the first week of release. You should have a.) setup a second partition or external hard drive and installed and tested, so you could revert back if needed, or b.) waited until the developers of the programs you use most state that they are ready to be used with snow leopard. I'm currently running one computer with Leopard, and one with Snow Leopard, to test for problems.

Snow Leopard has several new technologies under the hood, and a lot of legacy code and API's are finally getting flushed from the system. If developers are using undocumented API's, then it could be a problem. There are problems with every OS upgrade, especially at the beginning. It's surprising your the developers of the software having trouble weren't testing against the developer builds being released on ADC. The Gold Master build has been out for several weeks already on ADC.
post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

Not that I need to reply but...
The important ones:
Prism 5.0b (GraphPad)
Live Mesh

By the way I also had problems with my printer (HP P1005), Quicksilver, Cyberduck... now solved, though I lost my Quicksilver shortcuts.

I see the horizontal lines on my Safari. Safari can no longer play online radio with wma files using the flip4mac plugin. Cooliris still no solution... and a couple more plugins I have and that stop working

On a mission-critical computer the smart thing to do is ALWAYS to wait it out. I upgraded my MBP but my tower is still on Leopard. Why? Because I make money with my tower and having the new shiny isn't worth borking my machine. Wait until you're sure everything is figured out before you switch. It baffles me when people complain about things breaking in a x.0 release of an OS that they need for work. Just wait if it's the machine you make your living on.
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

On a mission-critical computer the smart thing to do is ALWAYS to wait it out. I upgraded my MBP but my tower is still on Leopard. Why? Because I make money with my tower and having the new shiny isn't worth borking my machine. Wait until you're sure everything is figured out before you switch. It baffles me when people complain about things breaking in a x.0 release of an OS that they need for work. Just wait if it's the machine you make your living on.

Everything that you say it's true. I know that and it's what I usually advised to people. The thing is that this is the first time I have problems with the applications I need most, for example the graphpad prism version I have runs ok from 10.3 to 10.5.8...


Regarding the complaints about a x.0, if you pay you can complain, no matter what version you are working with...
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

Not that I need to reply but...
The important ones:
Prism 5.0b (GraphPad)
Live Mesh

By the way I also had problems with my printer (HP P1005), Quicksilver, Cyberduck... now solved, though I lost my Quicksilver shortcuts.

I see the horizontal lines on my Safari. Safari can no longer play online radio with wma files using the flip4mac plugin. Cooliris still no solution... and a couple more plugins I have and that stop working

So Live Mesh (a Microsoft product) not working correctly, and Prism (a commercial scientific 2D graphing and statistics app) equals Vista-like incompatibilities (that only seem to affect you, out of all of us)?

I realize you're upset, but I wouldn't say Prism or Microsoft garbageware would be an emergency priority for Apple.

So you might want to adjust your perspective and not assume that because your two specific (one of them fairly obscure/industry specific) pieces of software don't work as they should (yet) that the sky is falling.
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

It is not apple envy you are blinded by your devotion to your god Jobs and your love of Apple. These problems and needed update shows that Apple is no better than MS that you deride. Ths is the same as MS with multiple updates and problems with the operating system. No envy here!

Had you not wasted time with 20+ posts of trolling (and a galactic lack of common sense in other threads), you might actually be taken seriously around here.
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Of course Apple has started right away on making fixes to the OS.

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.

Leopard is probably the OS of choice for the next six months. A great OS in its prime of stability and compatibility. Enjoy.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

Everything that you say it's true. I know that and it's what I usually advised to people. The thing is that this is the first time I have problems with the applications I need most, for example the graphpad prism version I have runs ok from 10.3 to 10.5.8...


Regarding the complaints about a x.0, if you pay you can complain, no matter what version you are working with...

You have every right to complain about a product you bought. My surprise is that someone who relies on their computer would install a x.0 upgrade and then complain about it. I was more surprised at installing it on a machine that you need for work within the first week of release more than I was about the complaining about the OS itself.
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1013media View Post

I would be a much happier camper if they addressed the RAID troubles... For those of you who may not know, many of us have had serious issues (to the tune of kernel panics) when 10.6 attempts to connect to a RAID created in earlier OS versions, my particular case being a RAID 5 (8 drives in two enclosures connected by an 8 channel HighPoint RocketRaid PCI-express card). Snow Leopard cannot interface with these drives if they are in any way a part of a RAID. HighPoint Technologies has been great, and have provided me with a beta version of their driver, which has at least allowed me to re-create my RAID array with their hardware, but still, Disk Utility = Kernel Panic, like clockwork...

Curious if anybody else is experiencing RAID issues? There are a few good discussions going on in the apple support forums, as well, with some possible fixes.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2136321

and

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2132037

Same issues for me; with nothing but Apple disk utility raid 1 partitions on internal drives on my Mac Pro. Taking the two drives out of the RAID seemed to solve my SL problems.

As you note, there are obviously issues with 10.6.0 and RAID of any sort.
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofallon View Post

Same issues for me; with nothing but Apple disk utility raid 1 partitions on internal drives on my Mac Pro. Taking the two drives out of the RAID seemed to solve my SL problems.

As you note, there are obviously issues with 10.6.0 and RAID of any sort.

Now the RAID issue . . . now THAT is real problem.

There is no excuse for online RAID drives forcing a reboot. This is fundamental stuff. And further, if the user then goes ahead and removes the drives normally from the RAID configuration in Snow Leopard (before the system freezes), there is a good chance they'll end up destroying the drives' directory trees and corrupting the partitions. Data Rescue II time! Depending on the size of the drive(s) recovery could take hours or days, and migh not be a complete recovery.

Fortunately, most users don't use RAID configurations, nor do they even know/care what it is. So this isn't really a major showstopper bug. Still, it shouldn't be happening.
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So Live Mesh (a Microsoft product) not working correctly, and Prism (a commercial scientific 2D graphing and statistics app) equals Vista-like incompatibilities (that only seem to affect you, out of all of us)?

I realize you're upset, but I wouldn't say Prism or Microsoft garbageware would be an emergency priority for Apple.

Everyone talks about their own problems, they can be more or less common. If I was a designer complaining about photoshop everyone here would think that it would be ok. But I am a scientist so the only thing I can do is talk about the software I use. By the way also SPSS 16 does not work with snow leopard...

Quadra610 did you ever tried LiveMesh? If not, stop talking because LiveMesh is ten times faster, more useful, reliable and more stable than iDisk. Try first, talk after.
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?

So... If somebody has a problem with Apple, and comes in and expresses that oppinion... that makes them a troll?? Grow up.
post #71 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

So... If somebody has a problem with Apple, and comes in and expresses that oppinion... that makes them a troll?? Grow up.

It seems so! I should have known better, this is usual the geek tone (in the Mac and Windows world, I cannot talk about Linux). Next time I try just to say good things about apple.
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That and general stability along with printer drivers would be nice.

What printer drivers do you lack?
post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddipoddi View Post

We need those printer drivers. the xerox workcentre 7245 driver, mine doesn`t work, and all the other drivers. yes I signed up just to say this, so maybe I`m a troll and a needy one..

Flood those service email adresses at xerox and canon so that they work around the clock on this thing. Massive driver problems as you will find in the apple support SL-forum is not good for the snow leopard.

oddi

Contact Xerox. Apple Printer Server is CUPS 1.4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#xerox
post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

Why is it Apples responsibility to bend over backwards for lazy software and hardware vendors who don't get their act together and provide software updates on the release of MacOS X 10.6 'Snow Leopard'?

Yes, I said the same thing when Vista was released because even if Vista had the best drivers and software in the world - the operating system would still suck because it is fundamentally flawed from the ground up.
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

It is not apple envy you are blinded by your devotion to your god Jobs and your love of Apple. These problems and needed update shows that Apple is no better than MS that you deride. Ths is the same as MS with multiple updates and problems with the operating system. No envy here!

I find it interesting when your apple os starts needing updates and incompatibility issues like MS you wish to dismiss it as trolling. When concrete facts hit you have no answer. This looks like a MS release except under a different brand.
post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What printer drivers do you lack?

Built in BJNP support would be nice
post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolrox923 View Post

this 10.6.1 update better fix the vertical lines/distortion that people are getting when they try to open a site from their Top Sites.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of people who upgraded to 10.6

I have no such problem.
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

Then maybe you should go back to Vista. I hear Windows 7 will cater to your type.

There always those switchers who bring over their Windows habits using every non approved Haxie to the Mac platform negating the Mac's integrated software to hardware solutions, which by the way, usually works very well for the Mac community.

There will always be third party driver problems with new versions of the Mac OS. Apple can't write the drivers for these developers. My iMac almost never has a problem with OS upgrades. It's super stable and just works. The secret is I try very hard to keep it virgin Apple. I pick software by how reputable the developer is on the Mac platform. The biggest problem, IMO, is from Windows ports and developer who refuse to follow Apple guidelines.

If you are this type, I'll assume you'll hate every word I said, but I could care less. Everything on my Snow Leopard iMac works just fine.
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Be careful with Epson. When I went to get drivers for my R280, on the driver page there was a link for information on 10.6 support. I clicked on the link, entered my printer model, and the page said 10.6 drivers were not available and gave me the "install Rosetta" instructions to get it working.

The thing is, I noticed back on the original driver page, 10.6 drivers were listed. Not only that, I new version of PrintCD with 10.6 compatibility was also listed. The drivers and PrintCD work fine with 10.6.

I have no idea why their 10.6 page indicated my R280 did not have drivers when it clearly did. You may want to double check the drivers for your Artisan.

-kpluck

I'll second that. I found the same exact situation when I went looking for 10.6 drivers for my new multifunction Artisan 800. I persisted and found the 10.6 drivers and they work well under Snow Leopard.
post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

<snip>
Quadra610 did you ever tried LiveMesh? If not, stop talking because LiveMesh is ten times faster, more useful, reliable and more stable than iDisk. Try first, talk after.

Use dropbox instead of LiveMesh. http://www.getdropbox.com/. It works very well as a document sharing solution and doesn't try to do everything under the sun like LiveMesh does.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update