or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Snow Leopard Ethernet Problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snow Leopard Ethernet Problem

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I just installed Snow Leopard on my iMac and have experienced an ethernet problem with Safari, Firefox, Mail and Thunderbird; these applications work for about 1 hr. and then the applications will lose the ethernet connection even though System Preferences/Network shows that ethernet is connected. However, Skype works (no connection loss) while the aforementioned applications have lost their connections. This problem keeps recurring intermittently (approx every 1hr.

As a work-around to the problem, I go into System Preferences/Network/Configure IPv4: choose OFF in the drop-down, click on APPLY. Then in the same drop-down, select "Using DHCP", click on APPLY and wait for an IP Address to be reassigned. After this procedure, the applications that lost the ethernet connection will start functioning again.

I am using a Linksys Router, DHCP with a 1 giga-bit connection, CAT5.
post #2 of 11
lots of people are experiencing networking issues. I wiped and reinstalled and things are better
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

lots of people are experiencing networking issues. I wiped and reinstalled and things are better

I didn't want to "wipe" out the SL upgrade and rather opted for a less invasive circumvention to the ethernet problem by changing System Preferences/Network/Configure IPv4 to "Manually" from the drop-down menu instead of "Using DHCP".

With the "Manually" option, I hard-coded the numeric IP addresses in all of the following fields:
IP Address, Router, DNS Server and clicked on the apply button.

Before this change, I would lose connectivity in Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird and Mail every 30-60 mins. whereas Skype maintained connectivity. After making this change, I haven't lost the ethernet connectivity in those 4 applications.

I hope the first maintenance release for Apple's new Snow Leopard operating system Mac OS X 10.6.1 will deliver a fix for this ethernet problem.
post #4 of 11
Library >> Preferences >> SystemConfiguration

Delete the SystemConfiguration folder to get rid of all the old plist files.

I did a clean install of Leopard and update with Snow Leopard on a Macbook Core Duo. Airport and Ethernet worked perfectly. Did a Snow Leopard update on an iMac Core 2 Duo with Leopard and lost the Ethernet.

Tried all the suggestions to reconfigure the network/reset router/change port/etc given in various forums to no avail.

Looked in the SystemConfiguration folder and there was a mess of plist files form various OS X updates.

Deleted the SystemConfiguration folder and rebooted. Works perfectly.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyree View Post

I didn't want to "wipe" out the SL upgrade and rather opted for a less invasive circumvention to the ethernet problem by changing System Preferences/Network/Configure IPv4 to "Manually" from the drop-down menu instead of "Using DHCP".

With the "Manually" option, I hard-coded the numeric IP addresses in all of the following fields:
IP Address, Router, DNS Server and clicked on the apply button.

Before this change, I would lose connectivity in Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird and Mail every 30-60 mins. whereas Skype maintained connectivity. After making this change, I haven't lost the ethernet connectivity in those 4 applications.

I hope the first maintenance release for Apple's new Snow Leopard operating system Mac OS X 10.6.1 will deliver a fix for this ethernet problem.

I installed SL OS X 10.6.1 and re-configured my network to "Using DHCP", removing all the hard-coded numeric IP addresses.... lo and behold.... IT WORKS!! Now Safari, Mail, Firefox & Thunderbird no longer loses connection!!! YEAH!
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by huwon9 View Post

Library >> Preferences >> SystemConfiguration

Delete the SystemConfiguration folder to get rid of all the old plist files.

I did a clean install of Leopard and update with Snow Leopard on a Macbook Core Duo. Airport and Ethernet worked perfectly. Did a Snow Leopard update on an iMac Core 2 Duo with Leopard and lost the Ethernet.

Tried all the suggestions to reconfigure the network/reset router/change port/etc given in various forums to no avail.

Looked in the SystemConfiguration folder and there was a mess of plist files form various OS X updates.

Deleted the SystemConfiguration folder and rebooted. Works perfectly.

so it is safe to delete the whole sysconfig folder?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyree View Post

I just installed Snow Leopard on my iMac and have experienced an ethernet problem with Safari, Firefox, Mail and Thunderbird; these applications work for about 1 hr. and then the applications will lose the ethernet connection even though System Preferences/Network shows that ethernet is connected. However, Skype works (no connection loss) while the aforementioned applications have lost their connections. This problem keeps recurring intermittently (approx every 1hr.

As a work-around to the problem, I go into System Preferences/Network/Configure IPv4: choose OFF in the drop-down, click on APPLY. Then in the same drop-down, select "Using DHCP", click on APPLY and wait for an IP Address to be reassigned. After this procedure, the applications that lost the ethernet connection will start functioning again.

I am using a Linksys Router, DHCP with a 1 giga-bit connection, CAT5.

I had the same problem and found a (at this point) permanent solution on http://discussions.apple.com/thread....30945&tstart=0 by user "incredibilistic".
If you create a new Location under the Network settings in System Preferences, it's a simple fix that should solve this problem.
post #8 of 11
How to use router when modem only has 1 ethernet port? I am setting up my wireless tonight for my laptop. The router I am getting hooks up to the modem via an ethernet cord. The problem is that my modem only has 1 ethernet port which I have my desktop wired to it. The modem also has a USB port, so can I buy a USB to ethernet adapter and it will work?
________________
matrimonial
i need help
Reply
i need help
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yackerena View Post

How to use router when modem only has 1 ethernet port? ...

That is what the router does. It multiplies the number of connections from the one provided by your modem to the number provided by the router's LAN ports plus Wi-Fi addresses.
  • Connect the Ethernet cable from your modem to the WAN port of your router.
  • Most routers with LAN ports have four LAN ports. Run an Ethernet patch cable from the Ethernet port of each device you want to have a hard connection to a LAN port on the router.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyree View Post

I just installed Snow Leopard on my iMac and have experienced an ethernet problem with Safari, Firefox, Mail and Thunderbird; these applications work for about 1 hr. and then the applications will lose the ethernet connection even though System Preferences/Network shows that ethernet is connected. However, Skype works (no connection loss) while the aforementioned applications have lost their connections. This problem keeps recurring intermittently (approx every 1hr.

As a work-around to the problem, I go into System Preferences/Network/Configure IPv4: choose OFF in the drop-down, click on APPLY. Then in the same drop-down, select "Using DHCP", click on APPLY and wait for an IP Address to be reassigned. After this procedure, the applications that lost the ethernet connection will start functioning again.

I am using a Linksys Router, DHCP with a 1 giga-bit connection, CAT5.

You're confusing Ethernet with DHCP. They aren't the same.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

That is what the router does. It multiplies the number of connections from the one provided by your modem to the number provided by the router's LAN ports plus Wi-Fi addresses.
  • Connect the Ethernet cable from your modem to the WAN port of your router.
  • Most routers with LAN ports have four LAN ports. Run an Ethernet patch cable from the Ethernet port of each device you want to have a hard connection to a LAN port on the router.

Simply put: You have one external interface to the WAN and 4 physical internal faces to your LAN.

You multiplex a 4--> 1 sharing based upon time sequencing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Snow Leopard Ethernet Problem