or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › As iPhone users bemoan carrier, AT&T fights to improve its image

As iPhone users bemoan carrier, AT&T fights to improve its image

post #1 of 82
While the iPhone is often heralded as the "savior" of smartphones, reception of its marriage with U.S. wireless carrier AT&T has been decidedly less positive. As customers' complaints with the network have increased, AT&T, of late, has begun to fight back.

In truth, AT&T has been the proverbial whipping boy in its relationship with Apple. As the iPhone has prospered and continued to gain marketshare, numerous surveys have found the U.S. network to be the device's least-appealing aspect. "It's a P.R. nightmare," Craig Moffett, a senior analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Company, said in a story in last week's New York Times.

For months, as users have complained of the lack of features or the carrier's service, AT&T has remained relatively silent on the issues. Recently, though, that strategy has changed. Last week alone, the nation's second-largest wireless carrier announced improved 3G coverage, admitted network troubles the aforementioned Times report, released a video explaining the strains iPhone use places on its network, reached an agreement to allow one App Store application to transmit location data without the software running on the iPhone, and announced the long-awaited availability of multimedia messaging on Apple's phone starting Sept. 25. And that was all just in the span of a few days.

"The most important point is, we're listening to all customer feedback, and we’re acting on it," Jamie Carracher, a member of AT&T's Blogger Relations Team, said to AppleInsider when asked about the company's recent approach. "We're planning to invest between $17 billion and $18 billion this year to enhance our wired and wireless networks. We're pushing innovation across the industry to re-invent wireless network standards and equipment to stay ahead of customers' growing and changing use of smartphones and emerging devices."

AT&T has been slow to release features for iPhone users like MMS and tethering because those who use Apple's handset consume a great deal more data than any smartphone before it. Coupled with the astounding popularity of the iPhone, the situation has created network difficulties for the Texas-based wireless carrier, resulting in dropped calls and slower data connections. AT&T's growing pains have been headaches for some customers.

Much of the criticism of AT&T originates online, and particularly from Apple enthusiasts -- and even moreso in recent weeks, as the "end of summer" deadline for MMS approached without a word from the company, before last week. The Web's vocal critics are why the company has made a concerted effort to address the concerns of those communities.

Regardless of whether the message AT&T is trying to deliver is being listened to, at the very least it is being received. A new strategy in the company's public relations efforts has come in the form of "Seth the Blogger Guy." Seth Bloom, an AT&T public relations employee, has appeared in a number of videos that aim to answer questions and address concerns that originate online. A three-minute rundown of the AT&T network and MMS availability for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS has received more than 130,000 views since it was released on Sept. 3.

"Look, we see the discussions on the Web, on blogs, on Twitter, on Facebook," Bloom began his most recent video, "so we thought it would be a good idea to take what's being said head-on."

To that end, AT&T has also set up accounts on Facebook and Twitter to not only announce news, but also dispel false rumors that crop up from time to time.

It's not surprising that AT&T would fight back against bad publicity on the Web. Even Apple, a company notorious for its tight-lipped approach to the press, recently took an alternative, almost grassroots-like approach to sway online opinion as criticism of the App Store swelled. But the volume at which the complaints directed at AT&T have been heard has been so great that the carrier, in recent weeks, directly admitted that at times their service has been substandard. The message the company has attempted to get across has, in effect, been: "We are going to do better."

While places like Facebook may be a way to reach out and communicate with customers, they also offer an outlet for customers to vent their frustrations. Recent posts to the official AT&T Facebook page feature complaints about coverage, data speeds, voicemail, and even Bloom's videos. Some of the items are given direct responses by AT&T officials.

"We've been working hard to foster healthy and ongoing dialogue, especially online where discussions are particularly passionate," Carracher told AppleInsider. "Listening is incredibly important to us. We monitor social media continuously for questions and issues that may affect our customers, and we respond as quickly as we can."

On top of the public relations issues, AT&T has paid numerous other, more literal prices for carrying the iPhone. In addition to the billions of dollars in network improvements planned for the coming years, the carrier also pays a large subsidy on each iPhone sold -- an investment that significantly impacted the company's bottom line last quarter.

Time will tell whether AT&T's campaign and ongoing investments prove effective. The company's agreement with the handset maker is set to expire in 2010, though officials are reportedly working to extend that contract through 2011. Some expect that the iPhone could jump to another U.S. carrier, most likely Verizon, within a year. And undoubtedly there are those who might wait for an alternative carrier -- but the effect an influx of iPhone customers might have on the performance of another network remains to be seen.

No matter what happens, AT&T hopes it will be able to satisfy its current crop of customers, as it continues to attract new iPhone users. And with its current outreach efforts, the company hopes its customers hear the message it has to share.

"Ultimately, we want customers to understand our strategy and our commitment to honing a new-generation AT&T network that is ready to meet continued growth in data demand, new devices and applications for the years ahead," Carracher said.
post #2 of 82
Yet another thread devoted to AT&T's whines? So they bit off much than they can chew- like we're supposed to feel sorry for them now? How many 3G phones did they add to their portfolio in addition to the iPhone over the last 2 years and relentlessly advertise for them. They only have themselves to blame. Greedy ba$tard$!
post #3 of 82
My first thought is that AT&T may not that soon the iPhone will no longer be exclusively their phone. So, they go into PR recovery mode.

This is fine by me. They've haven't performed great in the past, but I'll stick with them if they prove they're working at it.
macminicolo.net - Use your Mac mini as a server. Low cost, high performance.
macminicolo.net - Use your Mac mini as a server. Low cost, high performance.
post #4 of 82
We have been very pleased with AT&T, after switching to them from Sprint. AT&T has been soooo much better for us than Sprint. Their customer service reps are better, their service & reliability is better, and their communication is so much better. We are very happy with our iPhone/AT&T experience.
post #5 of 82
at&t sucks
post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Ultimately, we want customers to understand our strategy and our commitment to honing a new-generation AT&T network that is ready to meet continued growth in data demand, new devices and applications for the years ahead," Carracher said.

Ultimately, I want AT&T to understand that my reception sucks.
post #7 of 82
Their goal should be nothing short of zero attrition when the iPhone hits other U.S. carriers. Deliver a service people WANT to switch to, not one customers are forced to switch to for the iPhone.

It's ridiculous how far-fetched that sounds.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #8 of 82
Sorry AT&T, i am a customer, and i feel the holes in your network each and every day. and i live in a major city... Los Angeles.

Even when ATT wireless promises consumers the ability to get home Femtocells, they fall over a half year behind. even today, ATT Microcell isn't available to consumers, just a small beta group with NO news on it.

So ATT won't even allow customers to fix the crappy coverage map ATT has holes in.
post #9 of 82
It's too late. After another dropped call today on another AT&T hotspot. No tethering anounced yet? Verizon here we come. Let the cusomers tell you what network works.
post #10 of 82
A friend of mine bought an iPhone case from them in June (iFrogz) in which a piece chipped off. They replaced it without a receipt. They're trying!
post #11 of 82
ATT's shareholders should take steps to fire the Board of Directors and the CEO for such a mishandling of the introduction of one of the greatest technologies in recent memory.

With the loss of exclusivity ATT's only way back is to offer more than Verizon is willing to offer....and unfortunately in the cell business everything revolves around cost! (unless you have an exclusive 'game changer' like the iPhone. Then by all means 'screw it up, ATT!'

ATT will have to include tethering and MMS in their data plans and halve the cost of said data plans.

All businesses have 'growth' challenges and ATT is no exception with the 'Hummer iPhone' consuming bandwidth and I agree you can't upgrade/expand your cell tower network overnight.

But, come on, you must acknowledge it to your customer base and you give your current customers allowances. And by 'allowances' I don't mean overcharging for subpar coverage!
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

It's too late. After another dropped call today on another AT&T hotspot. No tethering anounced yet? Verizon here we come. Let the cusomers tell you what network works.

Again- how exactly does your AT&T GSM phone intend to work on Verizon's CDMA network?
post #13 of 82
Let's get this straight, AT&T charges a premium for service with the iPhone, it delivers substandard service and has an exclusive contract here in the US. Now, they want you to know after years into the contract that they are starting to do something about it. The teams are using facebook and twitter to get the message out... this only confirms my philosophy, twitter is the new PR firm for knuckle heads. How about making the price comparable to the service that you deliver? I will pay you $19.99 for unlimited dropped calls and $$9.99 for the incomplete data plan.
post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Their goal should be nothing short of zero attrition when the iPhone hits other U.S. carriers.

Brilliant! That is exactly what I wanted to say!

Only I had to use a lot more words!
post #15 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

We have been very pleased with AT&T, after switching to them from Sprint. AT&T has been soooo much better for us than Sprint. Their customer service reps are better, their service & reliability is better, and their communication is so much better. We are very happy with our iPhone/AT&T experience.

I would agree. I know exactly what I'm paying for with AT&T. The communication has been great for the most part. Service is still spotty when I travel, but the same case could be made against any carrier.

However, I feel like a lot of the iPhone capabilities have been crippled because AT&T wasn't ready to go. Slingbox was destroyed. I don't see any tethering or MMS yet. It's sort of a let down when you think about all the excitement that came with the original iPhone announcement. It has been a very slow progression.
post #16 of 82
I guess I am lucky that in the Detroit area, my AT&T coverage is pretty good. I didn't have a dropped call, until I was on the road on the interstate out on I-69 in Indiana and I lost all bars. I thought cell towers were supposed to cover the Interstates thoroughly, but there's bound to be dead zones.

I really have no complaints except for the high cost of service. I love the phone and the 3G works great in my area. I don't care about MMS, but would like to have tethering included with my "unlimited" service.
post #17 of 82
There is no excuse for this. AT&T was vastly under-prepared for the launch/growth of the entire product line (from Gen 1 to 3Gs). They tarnished their own reputation...I am sick of everyone pinning this on iPhone users...what? because we actually have a phone that makes you WANT to use the data connection? A phone with a USEABLE web browser...not the stripped down mobile browsers still commonplace on virtually all blackberry models. Did nobody expect that our data connections would actually be transmitting anything with a PAYLOAD!
post #18 of 82
Oh and I'm also getting a little sick of these cowardly Twitter/Facebook/YouTube updates...how about somebody from AT&T hit the podium and issue a press release...I'd love to hear them respond to some questions from the media.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Again- how exactly does your AT&T GSM phone intend to work on Verizon's CDMA network?

Agreed! But if Verizon had said to Apple, 'make us a CDMA iPhone as an interim measure until we complete our infrastructure to the new world standard, GSM and we (Verizon) will pay you (Apple) a fee for each iPhone to offset the increased manufacturing costs.' Verizon would have made a ton of cash, not lost any customers and gained a boat load of customers from ATT.

A bit of hindsight there, but nevertheless Verizon knew ATT had a hit three months into the iPhone introduction and could have proposed that scenario.

Thoughts!
post #20 of 82
I recently checked a map of all the cell tower sites in the area. AT&T has FAR fewer than any of the other carriers. T-Mobile has 3-4 that are much closer to the nearest one to my GF's house, and it's right in the middle of a 400k-population city. Trying to get on the internet via AT&T at an AZ Cardinals game is a complete joke. You go from no signal, to a lousy EDGE signal, to 5 bars of 3G, back to zippo, all game long. When you do have signal, you can't get on the web, presumably because of the insufficient backhaul capacity.

I love my phone, but loathe AT&T for their failure to build out their network sufficiently to support their iPhone monopoly.
post #21 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! But if Verizon had said to Apple, 'make us a CDMA iPhone as an interim measure until we complete our infrastructure to the new world standard, GSM and we (Verizon) will pay you (Apple) a fee for each iPhone to offset the increased manufacturing costs.' Verizon would have made a ton of cash, not lost any customers and gained a boat load of customers from ATT.

A bit of hindsight there, but nevertheless Verizon knew ATT had a hit three months into the iPhone introduction and could have proposed that scenario.

Thoughts!

Wait til Verizon gets a phone that is so data intensive like the iphone and we'll see how they do. Your thoughts?
post #22 of 82
Someone else brought this fact up before, say VZ got the iphone first, user would have had the same miserable experience since the increase data usage would have brought VZ network to its knees as well.

I can tell our data usage going going from a Trio to iphone went through the roof, I was amazed, how much more we use data on the iphone than any other phone we had before.

The other thing just amazes me is that people would rather be with VZ who is known for crippling phone features and charging of everyone thing over having a phone which you can pretty much do what you want with, control over my phone is more important than the little bit of extra coverage you may get with VZ
post #23 of 82
Quote:

Thoughts!

Well that does me no good for the iPhone I currently have. What you're saying is if I switxch toVeriizon I have to buy another phone- which is exactly my point. Who will switch under those conditions?
post #24 of 82
Now I think Orange should merge with T-Mo in States, too.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #25 of 82
I think their excuse for not having MMS on the iPhone is bulls***.

You can only use one app at a time right? Therefore you wouldn't be using any more of the network than any other phone that has MMS.

MMS on the iPhone shouldn't be any different unless they are planning on allowing video.
post #26 of 82
AT&T is a bag of hurt.
A laundry bag.
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Wait til Verizon gets a phone that is so data intensive like the iphone and we'll see how they do. Your thoughts?

Good point...I guess I'm coming more from the position that if both the major carriers, here in the US, had the iPhone, competition would bring down the cost of the data plans/features and motivate each to increase coverage/service at an accelerated rate.

Also, back to my point, there could be less of a bandwidth load on each carrier's systems if the iphone was available through two different carriers. Although maybe demand for the iPhone would be so great that both providers would be overwhelmed as you suggest.

I understand Verizon's CDMA/GMS quandary and Apple reluctance to build/support two different phones and also ATT incurred considerable expense in changing their infrastructure to facilitate the introduction of the iPhone.

I also understand that Verizon has a reputation for 'hobbling' it's phones and charging for every conceivable service.

The best thing about ATT is the 'rollover' minutes.
post #28 of 82
Quote:

Thoughts!

You assume that Verizon would have been just as prepared for the mountains of data used by the iPhone. According to my iPhone's stats, I have used 36mb of data for this month alone--and it's only day 9 of September. Now tell me, are you positive that Verizon, which still doesn't have a smartphone offering outside of the crummy Blackberry, could sustain this kind of data usage?

Verizon also has pretty unstable service in some areas. Verizon's strength is in the midwest. In the middle of Indiana, I had no problems with my phone, but when I moved out to the coast, I had a lot of issues with dropped calls on my Verizon phone. I even got the dreaded "No service" message--in the middle of the 2nd most populus city in the country (presumably because the tower was too busy).

Also let's not forgetit's widely speculated that Verizon actually turned Apple down because they didn't want to pay Apple's revenue sharing.

Anyway it's all in the past. The iPhone is GSM, and that's the end of it. Even if Apple were to make a 4G phone for Verizon, the first 4G phones are going to need to have a GSM radio too, since only 5-10% of the country will have 4G (just like the iPhone falls back to Edge when 3G isn't available). Verizon openly admits they won't start testing 4G until the end of 2010, and won't roll it out except to more than a dozen or so cities until late 2011.
post #29 of 82
I live in the Napa Valley in California. I get the usual dropped calls (not a whole lot though, but it is annoying! and I get spotty G3. I have no idea why I have 3G when walking outside but when I walk 4 feet inside of a coffee shop it goes to Edge or nothing at all. (No, this is not from my phone switching to a coffee shop wifi access point) Even sitting at my desk at work, next to a window, my phone almost does not work at all, but walking outside, its perfect. At work, I have to answer my phone with my face next to the glass window.

I was in Walnut Creek over the weekend and since there is an Apple Store downtown, there were a lot of iPhones being used on the streets and in the stores. The G3 was HORRIBLE! almost non existent. One would think they would ramp up the towers in Cities.

Last gripe, I wish SMS/MMS was included for no charge too! $20 unlimited plus $30 for DATA?? I just don't understand.

To end this, I would like to let AT &T know that I feel screwed by their promises and their prices and I would happily pay a $175 fee for cancellation fee to go to another carrier if it meant better customer relations, better network, less dropped calls and bundled prices.
post #30 of 82
Quote:

Well that does me no good for the iPhone I currently have. What you're saying is if I switxch toVeriizon I have to buy another phone- which is exactly my point. Who will switch under those conditions?

Not really. What I'm getting at is, it seems there are those people who prefer ATT and those who prefer Verizon. And there are those who think they both are 'clumsy' companies when it comes providing good value to their customers. The way Apple does as opposed to Dell, for example.

You/we could benefit if ATT had to 'compete' with verizon and reduced their prices for their data plans and/or features.

I'm merely suggesting that one of them has to 'step up to the plate,' as it were, and start behaving more like a company like Apple providing an excellent product mix and service.

PS. I know Apple has had it's share of missteps but I'm not paying Apple $100/mo for the next 2 years as I'm doing with ATT.
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yep. The grass is always greener...
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

You assume that Verizon would have been just as prepared for the mountains of data used by the iPhone. According to my iPhone's stats, I have used 36mb of data for this month alone--and it's only day 9 of September. Now tell me, are you positive that Verizon, which still doesn't have a smartphone offering outside of the crummy Blackberry, could sustain this kind of data usage?

Verizon also has pretty unstable service in some areas. Verizon's strength is in the midwest. In the middle of Indiana, I had no problems with my phone, but when I moved out to the coast, I had a lot of issues with dropped calls on my Verizon phone. I even got the dreaded "No service" message--in the middle of the 2nd most populus city in the country (presumably because the tower was too busy).

Also let's not forget—it's widely speculated that Verizon actually turned Apple down because they didn't want to pay Apple's revenue sharing.

Anyway it's all in the past. The iPhone is GSM, and that's the end of it. Even if Apple were to make a 4G phone for Verizon, the first 4G phones are going to need to have a GSM radio too, since only 5-10% of the country will have 4G (just like the iPhone falls back to Edge when 3G isn't available). Verizon openly admits they won't start testing 4G until the end of 2010, and won't roll it out except to more than a dozen or so cities until late 2011.

Yep...it was a hypothetical scenario and yes I am assuming Verizon could handle the increase in usage. As you and a previous poster have suggested they may very well indeed not have been able to handle it.
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Sorry AT&T, i am a customer, and i feel the holes in your network each and every day. and i live in a major city... Los Angeles.

I agree.

Most people here who are defending AT&T claim that us iPhone users are unfairly complaining about the data drain we're inflicting on their network. That isn't what many of us iPhone users are complaining about.

We're complaining about AT&T's overall service, which we consider to be sub-standard. Our phone calls continue to drop in areas where there should be NO holes in the system whatsoever. Edge-based, 3G-based... it doesn't matter.

I first joined AT&T (then PacBell) in 2001 when I lived in Burbank. My cell coverage in that city--especially around the downtown area and the mall--was abysmal. Getting more than one bar was a miracle, and it was pretty typical that I would have no coverage whatsoever.

Eight years later, the lack of adequate coverage in that area of Burbank is still just as abysmal. THIS is what we iPhone users are complaining about. When AT&T talks about their network improvements, we ask... "Where... Omaha?" Certainly not Los Angeles.

There are densely-populated areas in the city and county of Los Angeles which are STILL dead zones. The intersection of Melrose and La Brea, a long stretch of Magnolia from North Hollywood to Studio City and parts of the 170 freeway in North Hollywood and Van Nuys have been dead zones for more than seven years. And these are flat urban or suburban areas with no hills!

If it weren't for the iPhone, I wouldn't be an AT&T customer. Forget the issues with data coverage--that's a bit more understandable. AT&T's problem is that they can't even provide decent phone coverage.

GTSC
post #34 of 82
Quote:

Not really. What I'm getting at is, it seems there are those people who prefer ATT and those who prefer Verizon. And there are those who think they both are 'clumsy' companies when it comes providing good value to their customers. The way Apple does as opposed to Dell, for example.

You/we could benefit if ATT had to 'compete' with verizon and reduced their prices for their data plans and/or features.

I'm merely suggesting that one of them has to 'step up to the plate,' as it were, and start behaving more like a company like Apple providing an excellent product mix and service.

PS. I know Apple has had it's share of missteps but I'm not paying Apple $100/mo for the next 2 years as I'm doing with ATT.

OK- got it. But a lot of others on here keep talking about leaving AT&T for Verizon as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone. Anger leaves logic behind.
post #35 of 82
I switched from 10yrs at Sprint.
Customer service is MUCH better with AT&T, however, coverage and reception is MUCH worse with AT&T.

Reception is marginal at my house and all my families homes. I complained last year when I got the iPhone. Reception has not improved anywhere. Not one bit.

When I first signed up with Sprint, their coverage was also poor, but they quickly improved it. When I left Sprint I assumed that everywhere had great coverage. I hadn't seen anywhere that was not covered by Sprint's 3G network.

AT&T is night and day. There is zero coverage in many rural areas of NC and VA. 3G coverage is limited to a few major metropolitan areas and even there, reception and coverage is poor.

Worst thing is that I have seen absolutely no improvement over the last year.
Talk is cheap. AT&T can say they spent all this money improving the network. But until I see any evidence of improvement, its just talk, and that doesn't help.

I will be very tempted to move to Verizon or even (shudder) back to Sprint... if their prices are comparable to AT&T.
post #36 of 82
tooo little to late

I hate AT&T at this point - they've crippled the phone and I've lost dozens of text messages and voicemails have appeared on my phone a full 24 hours late! truly - they only thing that might keep me on their side is a price break - atleast then I can think I'm getting what I pay for - but currently I'm paying TOP DOLLAR!!!!!!
post #37 of 82
Good or bad it is the contract that Apple had to make in order to bring the iPhone to market.

Supposedly Verizon originally didn't want the iPhone so without AT&T we might be on T-moblie or Sprint or Metro and you would really be hating life. AT&T haters just have to wait until the contract is finished before it becomes available on another network.

I switched to AT&T from Verizon to get the iPhone. I really don't think it makes much difference now because no one knew what effect the iPhone as well as every other 3G iPhone 'want to be' would have on a network. You can't just dismiss the technical constraints of tower/software/spectrum etc. The same type of complaints would surely have been voiced about Verizon's service had they won the exclusive contract instead of AT&T.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good or bad it is the contract that Apple had to make in order to bring the iPhone to market.

Supposedly Verizon originally didn't want the iPhone so without AT&T we might be on T-moblie or Sprint or Metro and you would really be hating life. AT&T haters just have to wait until the contract is finished before it becomes available on another network.

Uh, I have an original iPhone and I LOVE T-Mobile... so much so that when other people around UC Irvine don't have reception on AT&T, I get full bars. Or I can just use their campus-wide Wi-Fi to call on T-Mobile's network if I don't have coverage in buildings. And yes, I'm currently using EDGE, but I am only paying $7 a month for the data plan add-on! I'd love to see you AT&T people try to match that for pricing. Also, I haven't had any slowdowns whatsoever with T-Mobile wherever I go, and I save well over a thousand over the contract that iPhone users on AT&T have to put up with. So I really do feel sorry for those poor souls, because they're paying a thousand more and getting worse service with 3G.

Btw, what would happen if Apple decided to go multi-carrier in the US and had AT&T and T-Mobile? Just might be enough combined coverage to bring down the Verizon juggernaut... Besides T-Mobile's 3G service I've heard is practically unused, so speeds there should be lightning fast.
post #39 of 82
It's instructive to remember that the company currently calling itself AT&T is actually SBC Communications, a former "Baby Bell" whose own name and reputation were so tarnished by decades of poor service that they elected to rename themselves AT&T after they bought their former parent company. This is the same company whose former CEO, Ed Whitacre, thought so little of his paying customers that he either completely ignored them or simply forgot they existed when he complained that no one was paying for "my pipes" when Internet uses accessed online sites such as Google or Amazon.

This is a company with a monopoly mindset to its very core, and I think it's highly unlikely they will ever change. And I say that as someone who is actually happier with AT&T's wireless service than I was with any of the other major carriers, all of whom I've tried at one point or another.
post #40 of 82
Quote:

OK- got it. But a lot of others on here keep talking about leaving AT&T for Verizon as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone. Anger leaves logic behind.

Yep, no doubt there does seems to be a lot of anger out there. But what I get from the article, and from a lot for the previous posts, is ATT's sort of half-hearted, clumsy attempts at ameliorating the ground swell of disaffection by some of it's customers.

Much of it may indeed be due to the overwhelming success of the iPhone and the growing pains of ATT attributed to having a game changer in it's product line. But as one poster aptly pointed out ATT is charging us 'premium' prices while they figure it out. Not good business.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › As iPhone users bemoan carrier, AT&T fights to improve its image