or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs returns to stage at Apple keynote

Steve Jobs returns to stage at Apple keynote

post #1 of 36
Apple's co-founder made a triumphant return to the spotlight Wednesday, as the man who is arguably technology's ultimate showman took the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

Jobs earned a standing ovation as he took the stage at the Sept. 9 event, his first official public appearance in nearly a year. The Apple executive returned to work full-time in June after he received a liver transplant.

At Wednesday's event, the Apple co-founder acknowledged his road to recovery and was gracious for the liver he received in the event of someone else's tragic misfortune.

"I'm very happy to be here today with you all," Jobs said. "As some of you know, about five months ago I had a liver transplant. I now have the liver of a mid-20s person who died in a car crash and was generous enough to donate their organs."

"I am alive because of their generosity," he added. "I hope we can all be that generous. I'd like to thank everyone in the Apple community for their concern. It means a lot. I'd like to thank Tim Cook, and everyone at Apple who rose to the occasion. Thank you guys."

"So, I'm vertical, I'm back at Apple and loving every minute of it, and working with some talented teams to come up with some great products for the future," he continued. "It's wonderful."
post #2 of 36
Woooooh!
post #3 of 36
Great to have SJ back!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #4 of 36
Man, I am really surprised at this. Great to see him back!
post #5 of 36
Welcome back Steve! Glad to see you're doing well enough to present.
Here's to many more years at Apple!
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
post #6 of 36
Why wasn't anyone able to capture some decent pictures of Jobs on stage?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 36
Stevenote FTW!!!

Everyone hail SJ!!
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Try scrolling down here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/l...nd-roll-event/

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #9 of 36
He's back and looks really, really ill.

Honestly, if you're going to come on stage at least wear a shirt that fits, and maybe put one or two (or 10) shirts underneath that to stop you looking like death.
post #10 of 36
Quote:

You can check this out: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ipod-event.ars

Has got decent pics of Steve...
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Honestly, if you're going to come on stage at least wear a shirt that fits, and maybe put one or two (or 10) shirts underneath that to stop you looking like death.

I think he actually looks pretty good considering what he's been through. He's actually pretty happy just to be alive.

Wouldn't you be?

Being on stage today must have really thrilled him.

Bravo, Steve!

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I think he actually looks pretty good considering what he's been through. He's actually pretty happy just to be alive.

Wouldn't you be?

Being on stage today must have really thrilled him.

Bravo, Steve!

Ditto. Long live the king!
post #13 of 36
Quote:

That's a dickhead comment. You have no concept about what it's all about do you? I applaud the fact that he chose not to do exactly what you suggested, it's called honesty. The guy has been at death's door and is now living every minute. This has nothing to do with Apple, just a human thing and you post some stupid BS like that? Tactless.
post #14 of 36
Quote:

Idiot...
post #15 of 36
Very welcome surprise Suggests a confidence going forward.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Try scrolling down here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/l...nd-roll-event/

I guess he looks better, but still pretty thin.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 36
Quote:

I guess he looks better, but still pretty thin.

As thin as his iPod Nano's..

He practices what he preaches!
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

As thin as his iPod Nano's..

He practices what he preaches!

Sorry, I don't see any humor in his state of health. It's not a joking matter for anyone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 36
Quote:

Sorry, I don't see any humor in his state of health. It's not a joking matter for anyone.

I love Steve too (not in "that way" if you know what I mean, and not that there's anything wrong with that either, but I'm not just in that camp, I was not born "that way," I like everyone and think that each person has a contribution to make to society, regardless of their "preference," it's just that people have their differences, and we have to tolerate how we are different and focus on how we are the same, we all evolved out of the same proteins since early life began some 4 billion years ago, and there may even be extra-terrestrial beings out there, who knows, the Mars rover teams are hard at work at checking out the possibility if there was life in the red planet, and my job is just to respect other people because I understand that mutual respect is what makes the world go around, that, and the lack of poverty, poverty being a problem even in developed countries)

But you're right, it's not a joking matter, he looks healthy to me, just thin.
post #20 of 36
He still looks sickly thin and frail.
post #21 of 36
The man is certainly ill.
post #22 of 36
The best thing about the whole event. Otherwise, it was a major bore.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny View Post

The man has been through several years of medical hell, which doesn't mean he's still sick.

Anyway, my biggest surprise moment was the humility. Uncle Steve has never been one for humble. Maybe knowing that a person lost their life to save his has changed something in his head.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

But you're right, it's not a joking matter, he looks healthy to me, just thin.

I didn't think it was that bad. Some people just don't have a sense of humour. If you can't joke about it (in good taste) your taking things too serious.

He is still thin. It'll take him awhile to get back some of that wait. Good to see him being active in things.
post #25 of 36
Great to see Papa Steve back on stage, where he belongs.

As expected, he's still a bit thin, but I think we'll see him gain weight over the next couple of months. See his comment in NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/te...sq=jobs&st=cse

Compared to last years music event, I think Jobs had much more energy yesterday.

As a tablet hopefull, I can't help reading something into his last words: "See you soon". Tablet event in October?

Best,

Daniel

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny View Post

Quote:

He just recovered. Be thankful he is now present in front of you guys. Cancer is not an easy illness to deal with. I'm glad he is cheerful. Below are some more positive views of him coming back which i applaud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Great to have SJ back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Welcome back Steve! Glad to see you're doing well enough to present.
Here's to many more years at Apple!
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Great to see Papa Steve back on stage, where he belongs.

As expected, he's still a bit thin, but I think we'll see him gain weight over the next couple of months. See his comment in NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/te...sq=jobs&st=cse

Compared to last years music event, I think Jobs had much more energy yesterday.

As a tablet hopefull, I can't help reading something into his last words: "See you soon". Tablet event in October?

Best,

Daniel

True that. Haha, he said he's eating more ice-cream to gain more weight.
post #28 of 36
For those of you that think he looks healthy or good, obviously don't remember what he looked like in 2008 and 2007. Subscribe to the Keynote speeches in iTunes and refresh your memory. You will quickly see that his health is deteriorating. He has a rare form of pancreatic cancer. Why do you think they did a liver transplant? He did not beat the cancer, he is surviving with the cancer. I have watched a few friends pass away from cancer and it is very sad. If you want to see what he looked like before the first cancer surgery, go to YouTube and watch the Stanford Commencement Speech, then compare it to the keynote he gave today. If you think he looks healthy, you are fooling yourselves.

It is very sad that he is fighting a battle with cancer, and pancreatic cancer is almost always fatal. Thankfully he rebuilt Apple from near bankruptcy and the company is going strong since he eliminated the destructive management team in the 90's. The company has direction, but don't fool yourselves into thinking he has returned full time like he was before. He probably just oversees projects with far less involvement. At least he is doing something he really enjoys. How many of you can actually say that?
post #29 of 36
When I watched the keynote today I noticed a small facial gesture from Steve in his closing words that had me wondering if they'll have another announcement really soon. Rather sooner than later.
It's when he said: "Thank you for coming... aaannd... see you soon" and lifted his eyebrows and gave us a peculiar smile, that I thought there might be something just around the corner.
post #30 of 36
I saw that snippet of his presentation on the news asking people to please be organ donors. He certainly looks, moves and sounds frail. I wish Steve all the best, but there comes a time when it's best to get out of the spotlight. Sooner or later (preferably much later, but inevitable), he will no longer be able to make these keynotes. He can either leave the stage voluntarily or be carried off. It's sort of Dick Clark Syndrome. Watching Dick on New Year's Rockin' Eve after his stroke is depressing. Sure it's great that he's still up and around, but the next generation now in school will remember a marble-mouthed old man rather than America's oldest teenager. Steve is the same way. Don't act like nothing has changed, with the same old black jeans and turtleneck. Things have changed and he should adjust, even if its putting on a black sport jacket to add more apparent weight to his frame. And he should be grooming his replacement for Apple keynote speaker. They desperately need someone new with charisma, like Jobs, not like Phil Schiller.
post #31 of 36
His voice and manner got much stronger just after that snippet; I think he was very emotional during the ovation and intro.

If you only see that bit, yeah, he looks weak. If you watch a little more, he comes across much better, though I would not say completely healthy.

post #32 of 36
It's not merely the cancer he was struggling with. He had the liver transplant because the cancer spread to his original one and he wasn't able to absorb nutrients from his food. It took them a while to figure that out, which is why he's so thin and so frail. He was literally starving to death.

With a new, functional liver (and I agree about the humility; he is clearly still stunned by the circumstances under which he got it) he can bulk up again. But here's the trick: You don't want to do it too quickly. The human body does not react well to rapid fluctuations in weight. And since he's probably still at the very least under a close watch for recurrence, and will be for the rest of his life, he is almost certainly following a new and disciplined regimen and checking in regularly with his physician.

He had to make this appearance, though. Nobody expected him to be the picture of health, but it was important to be seen as vital and in charge and, as he put it, "vertical."
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

For those of you that think he looks healthy or good, obviously don't remember what he looked like in 2008 and 2007. Subscribe to the Keynote speeches in iTunes and refresh your memory. You will quickly see that his health is deteriorating. He has a rare form of pancreatic cancer. Why do you think they did a liver transplant? He did not beat the cancer, he is surviving with the cancer. I have watched a few friends pass away from cancer and it is very sad. If you want to see what he looked like before the first cancer surgery, go to YouTube and watch the Stanford Commencement Speech, then compare it to the keynote he gave today. If you think he looks healthy, you are fooling yourselves.

It is very sad that he is fighting a battle with cancer, and pancreatic cancer is almost always fatal. Thankfully he rebuilt Apple from near bankruptcy and the company is going strong since he eliminated the destructive management team in the 90's. The company has direction, but don't fool yourselves into thinking he has returned full time like he was before. He probably just oversees projects with far less involvement. At least he is doing something he really enjoys. How many of you can actually say that?

Are you a real doctor, or do you just play one on the internet?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Are you a real doctor, or do you just play one on the internet?

Since when do only doctors have knowledge, first hand or otherwise, about cancer and survival rates?
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseley View Post

Since when do only doctors have knowledge, first hand or otherwise, about cancer and survival rates?

They don't, but then the person who posted what was apparently intended to sound both knowledgeable and authoritative, doesn't seem to know much. First, as was widely discussed at the time that Steve's disease was made public, if he'd been diagnosed with the more common form of pancreatic cancer, he'd have been dead years ago. The reason he's alive today is because he had a different, rarer form which is far more survivable. The post implied that just the opposite was true. So that's just not correct.

Second, the concept of "beating" cancer is deceptive. Nobody "beats" cancer, at best you survive it. if you live long enough with the cancer in remission, the doctors may tell you that your odds of having a new occurrence is about the same as someone who never had cancer. Then you get to be called a "cancer survivor."

Finally, we all know what Steve looked like before the cancer. We also know that battles with cancer and other serious diseases don't improve your looks. People tend to have their apparent age advanced in a hurry. But it also doesn't mean the person is dying or about to drop dead.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I didn't think it was that bad. Some people just don't have a sense of humour. If you can't joke about it (in good taste) your taking things too serious.

He is still thin. It'll take him awhile to get back some of that wait. Good to see him being active in things.

I have a sense of humor, but not in this case. When Jobs is healthy enough to joke about it, I'd be first to laugh along with him. He still looks and sounds weak.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs returns to stage at Apple keynote