or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple

iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Maybe people should re-evaluate their musical choices... the bands I listen to don't put out albums with filler songs... but even this won't replace the experience of buying the cd... digital downloads are good for a la carte purchasing...

I agree about the whole albums being an album buyer myself, but the digital experience "passed" the CD experience for me a long time ago. There is a huge downside to CD's (price, storage space, dusting), that isn't made up for by any increase in quality.

The digital albums I've bought often have "liner notes" and music videos included already but I must say I hardly ever look at them and if I do it's only the one time. I'm happy the way things are now and equally happy with the new album format with only one exception.

If you've already bought the album, the new material and the new format should be an automatic free download. Having to re-buy albums that one already bought digitally, on CD, on tape, and on vinyl is rude in the extreme.
post #42 of 122
I just tried to install iTunes 9 and it told me I have to close XCode. Does anybody have any idea why?
Addicted to a Mac since the Mac Plus
post #43 of 122
Anyone heard if it breaks syncing with the pre again
post #44 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Upon initial review, I'm not sure it really makes it all that much easier, unless I'm missing something. It appears that it's very similar to the existing library sharing with the exception that you can now click a button and have the song copied to the local library. But that assumes you know which songs you want/need to copy. I don't think it will make the comparison between libraries (what's in one but not the other) any easier. And be careful, if you click to copy the same song more than once, you'll end up with more than one copy in your local library! And it looks like the automatic syncing is only for iTS content, not CDs your rip yourself (but I don't have a CD to test that).

Actually, there's a selection on your "Shared" library where you can tell it to only show the files that you don't already have locally. And it does, in fact, copy all items, not just ITMS items. Lastly, you can tell it to automatically copy any new purchases.
Almost everything I wanted. It doesn't seem to sync changes to the ratings. I can see why some people would not want that, but I do.
post #45 of 122
I apologize if it’s already been covered…

— The mini player can’t chosen from clicking on the green optimized button anymore. Have to use Menu or keyboard shortcut.
— iTunes Store now appears to use WebKit to render these new pages. They certainly look nicer, load faster and do appear to use HTML5 and JS elements.
— Still has Carbon and is, obviously, 32-bit.

Overall, I like the new changes, especially to the iTunes Store. Much cleaner to use. I hated it before.
post #46 of 122
Its all good except that the playlist are white. The alternating background is gone. its harder to read with all light shining back at my eyes.
post #47 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Anyone heard if it breaks syncing with the pre again

I was just wondering the same thing
post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I was just wondering the same thing

I read that it does break it. I also read that some speculate that the delay of WebOS v1.2 from Sprint might be so they can fix any iTunes sync breakage.
post #49 of 122
I agree the all white background makes it harder to read list and why the hell does Apple insist on having a different skin for the title bar for iTunes? Whatever happened to maintaining a unified UI?
post #50 of 122
can someone please explain to me why after installing itunes on snow itunes doesnt function when I open it pleeease help
post #51 of 122
Your missing the point. The people who buy the full album are in the distinct minority. That's why the record company's have been pushing so hard for changes to the way people buy music from itunes. They don't want to just sell singles, they want to sell the whole album because it makes them more money. My point in the first post was that this latest idea of offering liner notes, lyrics, and videos about the songs most people didn't care about and weren't going to buy anyways isn't going to make them decide to now buy it. Especially when it will cost 5 or 6 dollars more than the regular album which they weren't going to buy anyways.

It's nice that you clearly feel you have a better appreciation of music than most people but it isn't relevant to anything being discussed here. This new gimmick by the music industry to get the majority of people to buy albums isn't going to work and then what will they do. Perhaps they could try offering better music at a cheaper price?
post #52 of 122
I think I'm missing something... is the 3.1 upgrade for free for iPod Touch users with the 3.0 software, or do 3.0 users have to pay... again?

If the latter:
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #53 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I think I'm missing something... is the 3.1 upgrade for free for iPod Touch users with the 3.0 software, or do 3.0 users have to pay... again?

If the latter:

It's free if you have 3.0 and apparently 3.0 has dropped in price to $4.99 if you don't have it yet.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #54 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah View Post

(2) No iPhone pages in the applications sync tab? According to the site, I should see an iPhone display-sized pane to the right of the (now sortable) list of apps, but I'm only seeing the list of apps. Hopefully I'm just missing a step somewhere, as iTunes arrangement of apps is something I've been longing for.

yeah wtf. I was excited about this feature too, but it is missing. Anyone else got any dice?
post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It's free if you have 3.0 and apparently 3.0 has dropped in price to $4.99 if you don't have it yet.

Ah, good. Glad to know Apple hasn't sunk that low... yet.

Though, not too happy about the 5 dollar discount... but eh. Price of early adoption runs steep in this company.
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #56 of 122
Ugh, why did they step away from the unified UI? It looks bad and out of place. And come on, make it 64-bit Cocoa already.

I like the sidebar with artists a lot though.
post #57 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

Hmm, nobody buys albums because there rarely are more than a couple of good songs on it. Record company's can't understand why people won't pay for things they don't want. So they decide to add liner notes, lyrics, and making of video's about the crappy song's nobody likes, charge a extra $5 for it and expect people to now buy the whole album.

I buy albums all the time (actually CDs). Where are your facts about nobody buying albums? CDs still outsell online music (maybe not for long).

If you really can't find any albums where you like more than one or two songs, too bad. I find many (a lot are older artists I'm just discovering, some are new, but no pop stuff).
post #58 of 122
Now if you browse the appstore from an older iTunes version than 9.0, app categories are gone!

And app categories selection in iTunes 9 app store is buried in the top menu: a way to make things more complicated for the average user.
will be what it's going to be
will be what it's going to be
post #59 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by elffir View Post

Actually, there's a selection on your "Shared" library where you can tell it to only show the files that you don't already have locally. And it does, in fact, copy all items, not just ITMS items. Lastly, you can tell it to automatically copy any new purchases.
Almost everything I wanted. It doesn't seem to sync changes to the ratings. I can see why some people would not want that, but I do.

Yup, thanks! That's what I get for posting before completely exploring the new interface elements. Then again, I'm supposed to be working right now, not messing around in iTunes.
post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

Your missing the point. The people who buy the full album are in the distinct minority. That's why the record company's have been pushing so hard for changes to the way people buy music from itunes. They don't want to just sell singles, they want to sell the whole album because it makes them more money. My point in the first post was that this latest idea of offering liner notes, lyrics, and videos about the songs most people didn't care about and weren't going to buy anyways isn't going to make them decide to now buy it. Especially when it will cost 5 or 6 dollars more than the regular album which they weren't going to buy anyways.

Where are your facts? In iTunes I'm sure there are a lot more single songs sold than albums, but CDs still outsell online music. With a CD you get the whole album, I believe.

Maybe this is a way of getting CD buyers to buy more online - if they would sell uncompressed music online I would buy more from iTunes. ((HD Tracks sells uncompressed music, but they don't have a comprehensive selection).
post #61 of 122
Just installed iTunes 9 on a Mac Pro (early 2008 - quad-core Xeon) running Snow Leopard and it does not work! Basically it hangs forever (not responding). This is my first experience with newly released Apple S/W not running on a relatively new platform with the latest O/S...

Anyone else had this issue? Hope we get a quick upgrade to fix this.
post #62 of 122
Deleted in recognition of my own stupidity.
post #63 of 122
Quote:

Hm. Like the new look, and the iPhone sync tabs are considerably improved, but.. (YMMV, as these may be bugs only affecting me, or everyone born on a certain day of the week, or I could be just being an idiot =

(1) The green window button (top left of OS X windows) now only brings the mini-window up to normal size - it can't return it to that size. Clicking on it again just toggles between not-quite-fullscreen window and normal size. So shift-cmd-M is now the *only* way to enter mini-player size?

This is EXACTLY how it should work, IMO, and I'm glad that after 8 revisions, they finally got it right. The green window button is basically a "maximize" button in every other OSX app that adheres to standard Mac UI guidelines; the fact that a core Apple app deviated from this functionality has frustrated me for years. I have often hit the green button, expecting the window to maximize, only to have it do virtually the opposite of what I expected.
post #64 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Its all good except that the playlist are white. The alternating background is gone. its harder to read with all light shining back at my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2383 View Post

I agree the all white background makes it harder to read list and why the hell does Apple insist on having a different skin for the title bar for iTunes? Whatever happened to maintaining a unified UI?

The white in the new UI is awful.
My grid view now looks cheap...
the black was a lot more elegant.
Any chance I can make it dark again?!
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

They've changed the browser in iTunes 9 - it's now on the left side instead of the top, like a sidebar. They call it the "column browser" now.

It's terrible - it takes up columns worth of space that way. It's much more useful to me to have it taking up space across the top, instead of crowding out other columns. Bad move, iTunes people.

Hopefully someone will find a hidden preference that lets us move it back to the top.

It's not hidden at all. Go to View -> Column Browser->On Top
post #66 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog24 View Post

This is EXACTLY how it should work, IMO, and I'm glad that after 8 revisions, they finally got it right. The green window button is basically a "maximize" button in every other OSX app that adheres to standard Mac UI guidelines; the fact that a core Apple app deviated from this functionality has stymied me for years!

That is one thing I dont like about it. I liked having the mini player option without having to use the Menu Bar or a 3-button keyboard shortcut.
post #67 of 122
Quote:

It's not hidden at all. Go to View -> Column Browser->On Top

Thanks.
post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Making it easier is a big deal, because it is a huge PITA right now. This is almost exactly what I wanted. If I were to buy a song on my pc now, it would only be on my pc. If I bought it on my mac or my iphone, it would only be on my mac and iphone (my iphone syncs with my mac). Now I can have everything on all devices, that is perfect. I can also go to town ripping movies on my pc (which is much faster with more hard drive space) and add them to itunes there knowing that I can easily access and transfer the ones I want to my mbp when I need them.

+1000. Funny I opened a thread a week ago about this very issue.

This is by far the best and biggest step for itunes.

Today we can safely say that itunes has become what it was meant to be, very few glitches to iron out.
post #69 of 122
Quote:

This is EXACTLY how it should work, IMO, and I'm glad that after 8 revisions, they finally got it right. The green window button is basically a "maximize" button in every other OSX app that adheres to standard Mac UI guidelines; the fact that a core Apple app deviated from this functionality has frustrated me for years. I have often hit the green button, expecting the window to maximize, only to have it do virtually the opposite of what I expected.

I agree. It now does what I expected it to do when I first used iTunes! One thing that has made moving over to MacOS difficult for me is various inconsistencies in the way it works (like selecting various messages in mail, trying doing that in the finder without thinking where you are clicking and you end up moving the file somewhere silly) But what about the solid scroll bars? Where do they fit in?
post #70 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENSKiN View Post

Ugh, why did they step away from the unified UI? It looks bad and out of place. And come on, make it 64-bit Cocoa already.

I like the sidebar with artists a lot though.

Just finally got iTunes 9 installed and I love the new metallic grey with subtle noise window look - makes the "unified" look on the rest of the OSX apps look dull and drab IMO.

I also like the different font used under album art for album title - makes Lucida Sans look even crappier (I was never a fan of Lucida Sans).

But why oh why are they mixing the two fonts - they should have went with the new font for the whole app. Also the new Play buttons are now different in design to the bottom shuffle/repeat buttons. Come on, I like the new graphics but lets not mix and match Apple!

Other thing I'm not sure about is the light blue background color of the browser - seems to clash with that of the greyer blue left panel.

Looking forward to new windows, new fonts, new buttons/scrollbars in 10.7. Shame they didn't make 10.6!
post #71 of 122
All the disk space I got back from SL I gave right back to iTunes! 236MB?

If it is possible to share Apps with Home Sharing? How do app developer feel about this if you can? (I only have a single library)
post #72 of 122
Quote:

(2) No iPhone pages in the applications sync tab? According to the site, I should see an iPhone display-sized pane to the right of the (now sortable) list of apps, but I'm only seeing the list of apps. Hopefully I'm just missing a step somewhere, as iTunes arrangement of apps is something I've been longing for.

You need to update your iPhone/iPod touch to the 3.1 firmware.
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
post #73 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I apologize if its already been covered

The mini player cant chosen from clicking on the green optimized button anymore. Have to use Menu or keyboard shortcut.

Option click on the button works.
post #74 of 122
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quash View Post

yeah wtf. I was excited about this feature too, but it is missing. Anyone else got any dice?

3.1 has to be installed on the device before you can organize Springboard.
post #75 of 122
Holy inconsistent GUI, Batman!

It is indeed a mix 'n match of many different styles, all within one app. What a mess...

iTunes now looks less native than Photoshop and Firefox.
post #76 of 122
Any indication if Home Sharing can work over the interweb? It'd be awesome to have access to my MacBook Pro's iTunes library on my Windows machine at work.....
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #77 of 122
My favorite new feature? The green "maximize" button finally works like it's supposed to, instead of activating the mini player mode (which is now activated under the Edit menu).

In regards to the "improved Syncing", the new iPhone Movies interface is no longer smart enough to grey out those films that aren't iPhone compatible; you get an error message notifying you the first time, but from that point on you have no idea which movies it copies to your iPhone and which it does not until you check the phone itself. Those that are incompatible simply won't be there, even though there is no indication in iTunes itself of any issue.
post #78 of 122
I'm not surprised by the lack of 64 bit cocoa. I figured from the beginning they'd wait until version 10 to rewrite it. Hopefully when that comes out it won't be so bloated and clunky on Windows systems.
post #79 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I'm not surprised by the lack of 64 bit cocoa. I figured from the beginning they'd wait until version 10 to rewrite it. Hopefully when that comes out it won't be so bloated and clunky on Windows systems.

And if it's anything like QuickTime X, during the cocoa rewrite they'll axe most of the features they've added over the past decade then spend the next decade re-adding them as "new features"
post #80 of 122
Also, upon installing, other than the mix n match bits within iTunes, I like the new GUI look. It's just a shame they couldn't make Snow Leopard have a new UI if they already had this in the works. It seems silly to wait another 1 1/2 to 2 years and have the iTunes interface be so different.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple