or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

post #1 of 259
With a huge library of titles, Apple pushed the iPod touch and iPhone as the definitive mobile gaming platform Wednesday as it announced a new 64GB iPod touch priced at $399.

In addition, a 32GB offering will be available for $299, and an 8GB option for $199. Apple executive Phil Schiller noted that the $199 is a "magic price point," so the 8GB option with lower component costs was used to hit that pricing sweet spot.

"At just $199 the iPod touch is the most affordable gateway to Apple's revolutionary App Store with more than 75,000 applications that you can wirelessly download right into your iPod touch," said Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "You get a great iPod, a great pocket computer with the industry's best mobile web browser and a great game player, all in this super-thin beautiful enclosure."

The 32GB and 64GB models will have the ability to run Open GL ES 2.0, and have up to 50 percent faster performance. Reusing last year's tagline, the iPod touch is dubbed "The funnest iPod ever."

Apple highlighted a number of high-profile upcoming releases, including Aassassin's Creed 2 (a sidescroller from Ubisoft), Riddim Ribbon (a rhythm game from Tapulous), Nova (a first-person shooter from Gameloft), and one of gaming's largest franchises: Madden NFL 2010 from Electronic Arts.

In its presentation, Apple boasted that the iPhone OS has 21,178 game and entertainment titles available, while the Nintendo DS offers 3,680 and the Sony PSP only 607. In addition, Schiller noted that titles on competing platforms cost between $25 and $40, compared with many budget-priced titles available on the iPod touch and iPhone.

Schiller noted that the iPhone OS is the only mobile gaming platform to offer a multi-touch interface, the ease of purchase via the App Store, and the inclusion of iPod multimedia functionality.

The presentation also pushed the iPod touch as a "pocket computer." Touting the device's ability to surf the Web, check e-mail, manage calendars, organize contacts, and access popular Web sites like Facebook and Twitter, Apple also unveiled iPhone OS 3.1 for the device, bringing App Store recommendations.

The lack of a camera on the new iPod touch is surprising, as third-party cases for months have shown a camera hole on the device. But as reported by AppleInsider days ago, it is believed that hardware issues with the camera caused the capability to be scrapped.
post #2 of 259
And video? Does the new touch have video, just like the nano?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And video? Does the new touch have video, just like the nano?

Shocking as it may seem, it looks like video on the touch is a no-go...
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
post #4 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

crazy, those technical issues must have been horrible...

I wonder what went wrong?
post #5 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

nothing went wrong, you have to consider Apple and their margins
post #6 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I have no idea. But I have a feeling Steve is going to make heads roll because of it.
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
post #7 of 259
Quote:

That was shocking. Clearly they want to force you to "trade up" to an iPhone or "trade down" to a nano. Bad, bad move. Now they have to address a huge hole in their product offerings.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 259
What about the FM radio on the Touch?
post #9 of 259
Tell me more about how AI was wrong about troubles with the Touch video camera.
post #10 of 259
Hmmm... I think I'm a bit more than a teensy bit pissed.

when I got my iPhone 3GS, I sold my 16GB Touch 2 anticipating camera and 16GB for a bit more, intending to hand that to my daughter.
Understanding that it was my own gamble (that apparently didn't pay out), but I now will end up either getting her just a Nano with camera (but without the apps she's gotten hooked on), or pay out a chunk more for what is merely a replacement for the touch I sold, with extra memory we don't need. No 16 GB? That really sucks.
post #11 of 259
No camera is a huge miss.

I was ready to make an unnecessary upgrade for that ... really bummed.
post #12 of 259
Quote:

FAIL. That was the only reason to upgrade.
oneof52
oneof52
post #13 of 259
Quote:

I have no idea. But I have a feeling Steve is going to make heads roll because of it.

Yeah - this really does not look good. You had manufacturing issues with the Touch line, but proceeded with the nano. So now you have a less expensive option with video but no app store, and a more expensive one without video, but with the app store and the same processor as the iPhone.

I still don't believe that if they can make it in the iPhone, they can't in the Touch - I think something else is going on here (maybe they realized they would be cannibalizing iPhone sales?)

I wouldn't buy one of these until they get their story straight, since its liable to lose value in three months when they get the line-up right.
post #14 of 259
Quote:

From the Apple Website (the store is down, but you can get to pages with new text but no images by going around the store).

"iPod touch lets you enjoy everything you love about an iPod, and then some. Watch your movies and TV shows on a brilliant 3.5-inch display. Use the revolutionary Multi-Touch interface to flick through your music in Cover Flow. And anytime you’re itching for more entertainment, just tap iTunes to browse and buy on the fly."

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/what-is/ipod.html
post #15 of 259
I guess they are positioning the touch as mainly a portable gaming device and not much more.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #16 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

What about the FM radio on the Touch?

What, did we just return to 1982?

The Nano has the FM tuner.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #17 of 259
Even though an ipod nano with a video camera (instead of just a still camera) is a bit of a pleasant surprise.................

Where the hell is the ipod touch with video camera?????
post #18 of 259
Ditto for me... camera would have been the only reason for me to upgrade. 64 GB is nice, but I'm not a gamer, so I guess my 5.5G will last another year.
post #19 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

I guess they are positioning the touch as mainly a portable gaming device and not much more.

But Phil, on stage just now, admitted that the ipod touch is really a portable computer. Is this one of Steve's famous last minute product decisions? What the bloomin hell?
post #20 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

What, did we just return to 1982?

FM is on the new nano...

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #21 of 259
Totally bummed about this. I want a touch for the apps and a nano for its new features. Looks like I may be keeping my credit card in my pocket today. Sorry Apple you screwed up the product line today.
post #22 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Even though an ipod nano with a video camera (instead of just a still camera) is a bit of a pleasant surprise.................

Where the hell is the ipod touch with video camera?????

wuahahahah, I see people are pissed!!
post #23 of 259
Quote:

you can't be that naive

there are no manufacturing troubles, never were. adding the camera will kill the margins for the product. not for the nano though. all the supposed cases we saw pictures of look just like blackberry plastic parts i see on the street all the time.

the designs for these things were finalized months ago and if they were to have cameras you would see it in the case.

the camera rumors were lies planted by apple management for marketing purposes or by apple employees who are going to get fired. the military and CIA does stuff like this all the time to find people that are talking about things they aren't supposed to be. they tell them a lie and see if it pops up anywhere
post #24 of 259
I am really, really bummed there is no camera on the touch.
I have been waiting months to pick up a touch for that reason.

My day is shot.
What the hell apple?
post #25 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I guess the Touch is a bit of a red headed stepchild at Apple. I always want to buy one but they keep abusing it (to their detriment.) I can wait, but now it will have to have a camera, video, and maybe radio too.
post #26 of 259
Quote:

No no no no no no. You misunderstand. Think about it......

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the ENTIRE PLANET expected them to.
post #27 of 259
Quote:

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the ENTIRE PLANET expected them to.

Don't get me wrong. I was also planning to buy a Touch this fall just for the price drop, but considering that this version is but a stop-gag until a new one with video comes along, I'm slightly unmotivated.
post #28 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

there are no manufacturing troubles, never were. adding the camera will kill the margins for the product. not for the nano though. all the supposed cases we saw pictures of look just like blackberry plastic parts i see on the street all the time.

the designs for these things were finalized months ago and if they were to have cameras you would see it in the case.

I would say this is a marketing/segmenting decision. These features will come to the Touch, just not now. Adding these features to the Nano doesn't ruin their margins, adding them to the touch would affect their margins even less (might even lower them because Touch would harmonize and synergize with the iPhone)
post #29 of 259
Quote:

I know a few people who were waiting on the camera/microphone additions to purchase the touch, hell I was going to replace my wifes and my 2g touch with 64gb. But, thankfully for my bank account - no money for apple this year.

Hell, my bank account loves Apple at the moment. No compelling reason to give them any of my cash.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #30 of 259
Quote:

Did you not read the AI article saying that the touch was having troubles w/ the camera? People got pissed over the article and when it comes to fruition, they are blaming it on a secret conspiracy. If you want a camera on the touch you will probably have to wait until early next year.
post #31 of 259
Looking at pictures of the new Touch on Apple's site (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ily/ipod_touch) , it sure looks like there's an obvious place to put a camera on the back. That little plastic tab is in the exact location the camera's at on my iPhone 3GS. Seems pretty clear that something went wrong late in the cycle and they pulled the camera.

The nano's camera is also only 640x480, so it's not appropriate for still images, just video. The iPhone was 2Mp and the 3GS is 3Mp, so less than 1Mp isn't going to cut it. Maybe they didn't feel that a 640x480 camera on the Touch was appropriate for its target market, and couldn't get the bigger sensors installed cheaply enough?
post #32 of 259
So no FM Radio (yet they can in the Nano)? No details on the CPU?

The ZuneHD is cheaper and has:
FM Radio & HD Radio
OLED Screen
1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

post #33 of 259
Quote:

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the expected them to.

I agree with everything that is being said about the apparent miss with the camera and video on the iTouch. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the iTouch is going to become the entry level iPad and since the larger iPad won't have a camera/video, they didn't want to include it. It would be perceived as a take away. I'm just guessing. I am still scratching my head on this one.
iMac G4, TiBook, Bodoni Blue iMac, 128K
Mac, Ti-Book, Dual G5 2.0 ghz,
23" HD Cinema Monitor,MacBook,iPhone
and nearly every generation of iPods
---------------------------
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
iMac G4, TiBook, Bodoni Blue iMac, 128K
Mac, Ti-Book, Dual G5 2.0 ghz,
23" HD Cinema Monitor,MacBook,iPhone
and nearly every generation of iPods
---------------------------
www.BeyondtheShoebox.com
post #34 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Looking at pictures of the new Touch on Apple's site (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ily/ipod_touch) , it sure looks like there's an obvious place to put a camera on the back. That little plastic tab is in the exact location the camera's at on my iPhone 3GS. Seems pretty clear that something went wrong late in the cycle and they pulled the camera.

The nano's camera is also only 640x480, so it's not appropriate for still images, just video. The iPhone was 2Mp and the 3GS is 3Mp, so less than 1Mp isn't going to cut it. Maybe they didn't feel that a 640x480 camera on the Touch was appropriate for its target market, and couldn't get the bigger sensors installed cheaply enough?

didn't all Touch's have this as well? Apple is just using the same case to save on manufacturing costs
post #35 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I would say this is a marketing/segmenting decision. These features will come to the Touch, just not now. Adding these features to the Nano doesn't ruin their margins, adding them to the touch would affect their margins even less (might even lower them because Touch would harmonize and synergize with the iPhone)

Yes. It can't be a manufacturing problem or of ruining profit margins. It's probably a marketing decision.

But I disagree with Apple on this wholeheartedly. They would have swept up this Christmas with an iPod touch with video. Now I believe that while they will have a successful Christmas shopping season for ipods, it will not be as successful as it could have been.
iPod Touches will beat the zune HD of course. But I believe that the Zune HD will see some good buisness in the coming weeks for sure.
post #36 of 259
Quote:

But Phil, on stage just now, admitted that the ipod touch is really a portable computer. Is this one of Steve's famous last minute product decisions? What the bloomin hell?

Dumb as a bag of rocks, that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That "tab" on the back of the current touch is for WiFi, I think. Nothing to do with a "shoulda-been" video camera lens.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 259
Huge miss.
post #39 of 259
Quote:

My Wii has wi-fi, internet, calendar. Guess my Wii is a computer too. Woo-hoo.
post #40 of 259
Apple is really going down a different road here... comparing the Touch to PSP and DS (btw, the DSi has a camera...). The touch is good for casual games but the lacks the proper controls to really compete with the dedicated game systems...

Oh, I do want 64GB but will just wait for the 4G next year in hopes it will have a camera. Just adding some speed and capacity is not reason enough for me to upgrade...

My fiancee might like the new Nano, though. She needs more than the 8GB Nano she has now...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399