or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399 - Page 6

post #201 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So there are 50 million iPhones, and iPod touchs, 1.8 billion downloads, does that mean on average that users of these devices have downloaded 36 applications each?

Huh? How does that relate to my comment?
post #202 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Huh? How does that relate to my comment?

You were inferring that people were purchasing them as a great games machine, but they aren't.
post #203 of 259
Quote:

You were inferring that people were purchasing them as a great games machine, but they aren't.

Wow! Do we ever have massive reading comprehension issues tonight!

How on earth did I infer that they were buying them as great game machines?!
post #204 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I was thinking about this too. I suppose this is a possibility. But no, I don't think it will happen. If anything, the new tablet device would be compared to the iphone because I'm sure it will have a built in 3G radio. Or maybe not.

Yes, of course it's all just speculation. Perhaps the entry level small screen tablet will not come with 3G, and the larger "Pro" model will. (Maybe they both will)
Maybe Apple will sell a 3G add-on adapter.
Maybe Apple will make a dozen different models.
Maybe only one.

All I know is I have to decide if I am going to buy the one that is available right now; or wait (and wait and wait and...)
post #205 of 259
Quote:

Someone posted that it was a crap games machine, you replied that it can't be as they have sold 20 million of them.

That's how.
post #206 of 259
Quote:

You arent kidding!
post #207 of 259
I can see why the iPod Touch is being kept...er, "neutered" for the time being. This platform is being phased out as the premium mini-puter offering I bet, probably for the tablet. The Touch will eventually morph into a "game" machine/media box and that's about it. Kinda like what a ARCOS tablet was supposed to be but never took off.

Also, the software is already out there to support this platform. The cheaper they make this thing, the more they can sell. There's hundreds of millions of Indians, Chinese, whatever, that would like a device of this quality that costs $100, $50, etc.

As the iPhone OS platform line gets pimper and pimper in the coming years, you'll see apps in the App Store that will utilize all that (future) horsepower, but won't really hum on an iPod Touch 2G. So I think you'll end up seeing a tiered App Store, a "1G" App Store and a "2G" App Store. With appropriate marketing and so forth, in two years or so you can get your iPhone OS fix on in the 1G store with a $75 widget and when you move up to the new iPimp or whatever in the future, you move all your old Apps over to the new widget. For instance, what's this Tablet going to be capable of running? If its as slick (and iPhone OS platform) as people drool about, it will undoubtedly be able to run apps that no current iPhone OS platform has the horsepower to run.

Its an interesting problem that way. iTunes sells music. Music is music. But applications evolve in complexity with the platform. There has to be some separator or division to avoid customer frustration. Apple has dealt with this before, and has had to basically ditch entire installed platform bases when they've switched (OS9->OSX, PowerPC->Chipzilla) and I bet they see a chance to repeat history with lessons learned.

It makes sense to me, but only over a period of years.
post #208 of 259
Quote:

So there are 50 million iPhones, and iPod touchs, 1.8 billion downloads, does that mean on average that users of these devices have downloaded 36 applications each?

The average, according to a recent AI article (unfortunately, I am too lazy to do the search for you) was higher: something like 52.
post #209 of 259
Quote:

Someone posted that it was a crap games machine, you replied that it can't be as they have sold 20 million of them.

That's how.

cycomiko stated “It’s a pathetic games machine, and the cost is irrelevant when they provide nothing of interest for peopel to part with their cash.”

Cycomiko said it’s a pathetic games machine AND that the Touch, at any price, provides nothing of internet . Macnyc never stated it is a great gaming machine, he just stated a simple figure which shows that it holds at least some interest for 20M people to have already parted with their cash to buy a Touch.
post #210 of 259
Quote:

That's how.

You might want to reread the person's comment and my response.

SAT scores are going to be way low this year!
post #211 of 259
Quote:

I'm sorry that you don't have the ability to express yourself properly, based on the way you write, it would seem that english is not your first language.

what I wrote is perfectly clear. Perhaps you should work on your comprehension
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #212 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is that people shouldn't be hanging so much hope on rumors. All the stories you linked had the word rumor in the link, in the headline and in the text. I think that should be enough of a hint that it might not be real.

The problem is not the rumor, it was the person harrassing others for believing in a rumor that did not exist. When it did.
post #213 of 259
Quote:

Let see, you are complaining about two others having reading comprehension, when you are having trouble reading. Pot, kettle, something.
post #214 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Let see, you are complaining about two others having reading comprehension, when you are having trouble reading. Pot, kettle, something.

For some reason Logisticaldron understood but not you:

"cycomiko stated Its a pathetic games machine, and the cost is irrelevant when they provide nothing of interest for peopel to part with their cash. Cycomiko said its a pathetic games machine AND that the Touch, at any price, provides nothing of internet . Macnyc never stated it is a great gaming machine, he just stated a simple figure which shows that it holds at least some interest for 20M people to have already parted with their cash to buy a Touch."

How do you explain that?
post #215 of 259
so many people posting the same exact comment.

i believe the camera issue rumor relates to still photos on the NANO, and will probably be fixed with an update in the near future to enable photos.

the closest thing i heard to explaining why the touch might not have video is that it's a stopgap until the tablet is announced in 4 months... still an odd upgrade - especially the nano fm tuner. for a company that eliminated the floppy disc from the iMac and the optical drive from the Air, WHY add an antiquated radio frequency?

does anyone here know if the new processor in the touch requires any other new hardware, or is this upgrade purely a processor and memory? perhaps the new processor isn't the same as the 3gs and it is causing issues w/ a camera?
post #216 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Then apple would have to license smb from Microsoft as well and unless you have vista sp2 or windows 7 it's going to take a very long time. Hours and hours

Why would they have to license smb from Microsoft? Apple has their own self contained protocols - I'm sure the mobile.me syncing DOES NOT use smb....

As far as time, even 802.11g would be faster then USB - and my phone charges overnight - I could re-load an iPhone on an overnight charge. Really I don't see time as an issue.
post #217 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

so many people posting the same exact comment.

i believe the camera issue rumor relates to still photos on the NANO, and will probably be fixed with an update in the near future to enable photos.

Well have to wait for a breakdown, but its likely that the Nano cant even do a decent photo. Flip cameras are video only. They are engineered that way. The iPhone takes 3Mpx stills and 0.3Mpx video.

Quote:
does anyone here know if the new processor in the touch requires any other new hardware, or is this upgrade purely a processor and memory? perhaps the new processor isn't the same as the 3gs and it is causing issues w/ a camera?

Im sure iFixit will let us now shortly. Id imagine its the same as the iPhone, maybe even with a faster running CPU if they really are focusing on gaming. They did that before.
post #218 of 259
Quote:

For some reason Logisticaldron understood but not you:

"cycomiko stated Its a pathetic games machine, and the cost is irrelevant when they provide nothing of interest for peopel to part with their cash. Cycomiko said its a pathetic games machine AND that the Touch, at any price, provides nothing of internet . Macnyc never stated it is a great gaming machine, he just stated a simple figure which shows that it holds at least some interest for 20M people to have already parted with their cash to buy a Touch."

How do you explain that?

that in addition to reading comprehension issues, you also are unable to use the quote function?
post #219 of 259
Quote:

that in addition to reading comprehension issues, you also are unable to use the quote function?

You seriously cant see the quotation marks around the test he pasted or are you so young that you dont realize that is how people who were born before 1995 use quote. Sure, its not as pretty on a web forum, but it serves the purpose just as well.
post #220 of 259
Quote:

SAT scores are going to be way low this year!

Geography must have been your good subject, 6 billion people don't care about an American scoring system
post #221 of 259
Quote:

ok, they said...

Quote:

Its a pathetic games machine, and the cost is irrelevant when they provide nothing of interest for peopel to part with their cash.

You said...

Quote:

You're absolutely right, that's why they've sold 20 million of them...

You comment disagrees with what they said, the additional of the "rolleyes" adds to that.
post #222 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The average, according to a recent AI article (unfortunately, I am too lazy to do the search for you) was higher: something like 52.

Well Apple said there is 1.8 billion downloads, and 30 million iPhones, there are figures going around of 20 million, that gives you 36, an average of 52 means there is fewer iPhones and iPod touches around than quoted.
post #223 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Are you accounting for import taxes, VAT, etc. or just doing a straight comparison from the US price?

There is no way there can possibly be enough taxes to cover a 45% price increase. Taxes in US are at least 7% and here depends, but about 22%.
post #224 of 259
Disappointing. The iPod Nano gets more features than the Touch save the wonderful ( not sarcastic ) app store and the smaller memory space? This is truly disappointing.
post #225 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And video? Does the new touch have video, just like the nano?

No!! Not even a basic camera!
post #226 of 259
Quote:

Because it was way wayyy more than a rumor. It was just about a done deal. We're all amateur tech analysts here and it was common knowledge by now that it was indeed going to have a camera. It was a behind the scenes MAJOR FOULUP that caused the new ipod touch not to have a camera.

This is a joke. You CANNOT make a major change to a product a week before announcing it. They must have started shipping from the factory weeks ago which means the design was frozen already probably 4 months ago. If you know anything about producing anything then the lead times required for any change are huge.

There is absolutely no way Apple could have suddenly decided to drop the camera just a week ago. If they made such a change it would have been months ago, and that makes the rumors totally wrong.
post #227 of 259
Quote:

That was shocking. Clearly they want to force you to "trade up" to an iPhone or "trade down" to a nano. Bad, bad move. Now they have to address a huge hole in their product offerings.

I don't know what Apple has been doing this year. Same plastic case for the 3GS, carried down from the 3G last year. Now the iPod Touch gets a 'huge' upgrade- 64GB and faster processor and that's all. Sorry, this year's performance has been less than stellar.
post #228 of 259
Quote:

Today's lesson: Don't buy into rumors, unless they're no longer rumors.

This is Apples fatal flaw with secrecy. The rumours are never confirmed or denied and they grow a life of their own. When Apple doesn't announce what everyone expects the only reaction is disappointment.

It is a mess of their own making.
post #229 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

This is Apples fatal flaw with secrecy. The rumours are never confirmed or denied and they grow a life of their own. When Apple doesn't announce what everyone expects the only reaction is disappointment.

It is a mess of their own making.

What I see a lot on this is forum, is people being angry at Apple for not listening to their wishes - which themselves have been fed and sustained by speculation. Please tell me how you've let Apple know of these wishes and why they should be obeyed. While you're at it, explain to me how it's any major company's duty to create whatever a small segment of maybe-buyers would dream up among themselves?
If I were an Apple executive reading this forum - fat chance - I'd probably be very happy to learn that at least the whiney ones and the agressive lot might drop out of the consumer base. You'd all be very welcome to the Zune crowd and fit right in.

When buying a ham sandwich yesterday, I expected some lettuce on it. I'd been talking to all my friends about it for weeks on end and was really REALLY looking forward to the exciting sandwich (especially because one of my friends heard a rumor about a slice of tomato).
As it turns out, however, the sandwich vendor decided to do what they thought was right and put a little extra HAM on my sandwich, plus two slices of cucumber and optionally some mayonnaise.

Do I yell at the sandwich people? Do I cry about them on a web forum?
Or do I accept that they have a certain well-educated view on what their range of sandwiches should be and that ultimately they beat the competition in both quality and sales numbers?
(at some point in the near future, I'm sure they'll offer even better sandwiches - with lettuce, tomato AND more ham)
post #230 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo.han View Post

What I see a lot on this is forum, is people being angry at Apple for not listening to their wishes - which themselves have been fed and sustained by speculation. Please tell me how you've let Apple know of these wishes and why they should be obeyed. While you're at it, explain to me how it's any major company's duty to create whatever a small segment of maybe-buyers would dream up among themselves?
If I were an Apple executive reading this forum - fat chance - I'd probably be very happy to learn that at least the whiney ones and the agressive lot might drop out of the consumer base. You'd all be very welcome to the Zune crowd and fit right in.

When buying a ham sandwich yesterday, I expected some lettuce on it. I'd been talking to all my friends about it for weeks on end and was really REALLY looking forward to the exciting sandwich (especially because one of my friends heard a rumor about a slice of tomato).
As it turns out, however, the sandwich vendor decided to do what they thought was right and put a little extra HAM on my sandwich, plus two slices of cucumber and optionally some mayonnaise.

Do I yell at the sandwich people? Do I cry about them on a web forum?
Or do I accept that they have a certain well-educated view on what their range of sandwiches should be and that ultimately they beat the competition in both quality and sales numbers?
(at some point in the near future, I'm sure they'll offer even better sandwiches - with lettuce, tomato AND more ham)

You miss the point. When you got to buy a sandwich you know before hand what you should get. They have a picture or you can see it in the display case. What Apple does is hide all details until the last minute and you can only guess what you will get. When they leave out the tomato and lettuce of course everyone is pissed.

The rumour mill is fueled by the lack of any information by Apple. In fact the secrecy increases the flood of rumours which sets the whole thing up for disappointment. It becomes a game to guess what will come. Plus I am certain they also leak some info themselves to increase the hype. So, they reap what they sow.
post #231 of 259
Quote:

This is a joke. You CANNOT make a major change to a product a week before announcing it. They must have started shipping from the factory weeks ago which means the design was frozen already probably 4 months ago. If you know anything about producing anything then the lead times required for any change are huge.

There is absolutely no way Apple could have suddenly decided to drop the camera just a week ago. If they made such a change it would have been months ago, and that makes the rumors totally wrong.

+1. I guess they had this planned for the iPod Touch a long time ago. Really disappointing.
post #232 of 259
Quote:

You miss the point. When you got to buy a sandwich you know before hand what you should get. They have a picture or you can see it in the display case. What Apple does is hide all details until the last minute and you can only guess what you will get. When they leave out the tomato and lettuce of course everyone is pissed.

The rumour mill is fueled by the lack of any information by Apple. In fact the secrecy increases the flood of rumours which sets the whole thing up for disappointment. It becomes a game to guess what will come. Plus I am certain they also leak some info themselves to increase the hype. So, they reap what they sow.

Respectfully, I' quite sure I'm NOT missing the point - thought you might be missing mine a little.
As with a sandwich, with the iPod Touch you absolutely DO know what you should get: a nifty media playing device with web browsing, e-mail and calendar syncing, plus many optional third-party apps.
You'll have come to expect that based upon previous models - which implies the same 'duty' as the sandwich maker has to delivering bread and ham, not to lettuce and tomato.
One of the best-loved things about Apple is that they have yearly upgrades (in varying degrees of popularity), but that doesn't mean they have any obligation to. Unwise as it would be, they'd have the right to sell the exact same device for years on end.

It just baffles me to see how people let themselves get disappointed by specs that have never been confirmed or denied. We've all known for years about Apple's desire to hide and surprise, so why would you let that get to you?
I see no point in speculating at all (though I enjoy reading the rumors and unfounded guesses),
and have no problem acquiring the right device for the right task.

All in all I think it's a twisted compliment to Apple that people have become so unreasonably greedy.
post #233 of 259
Less than stellar.

The cost-reduced $199 iPod Touch makes a lot of sense.

However the other iPod Touches don't. No camera - I can accept that. No GPS? Not so good. They have the capacity with the 64GB model, but the 32GB model looks weak in comparison with the cheaper OLED ZuneHD, and now the only USP is the OS and App Store.

I feel that Apple is missing a clue here.

The new nano is fine, the ability to take low-resolution video is quite neat, but how often do you want to do that? FM radio is nice, I'll enjoy that on the underground ... oh, wait. Still, good for gym people. Shame it doesn't do FM transmission as well. Also the 8GB model seems barely worthwhile when the 16GB model is only $30 more.
post #234 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I feel that Apple is missing a clue here.

Not Apple, us. We're the one's missing the clue(s).

Apple (Steve et al) know exactly what they're doing. Just because we aren't privy to their secret internal roadmaps doesn't make it Apple's fault. Apple/Steve plan years ahead to create stuff. The lack of camera is well planned, and will make sense in the four months or whenever.

My advice is to not buy an upgraded touch and wait and see what new, exciting hardware that Steve keeps referring to (in yesterday's interview he said he was "polishing" stuff) is soon to arrive. One of which will be a redesigned "touch" (aka the smallest of the tablets) with a camera, you'll see. I'd bet money on it.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #235 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why would they have to license smb from Microsoft? Apple has their own self contained protocols - I'm sure the mobile.me syncing DOES NOT use smb....

As far as time, even 802.11g would be faster then USB - and my phone charges overnight - I could re-load an iPhone on an overnight charge. Really I don't see time as an issue.

because most iphone and ipod users use Windows. and SMB version 2 is only on Vista SP2, WIndows Server 2008 and WIndows 7. it's literally twice as fast as the original SMB protocol in file transfer times. when i upgraded my computers to Windows 7 beta months ago i couldn't believe how much faster file transfers were over the wifi.
post #236 of 259
Quote:

my 3GS is my first iphone and i've downloaded almost 200 apps if not more. Most of them are free and i watch the sales to get paid apps for free
post #237 of 259
Quote:

Because it was way wayyy more than a rumor. It was just about a done deal. We're all amateur tech analysts here and it was common knowledge by now that it was indeed going to have a camera. It was a behind the scenes MAJOR FOULUP that caused the new ipod touch not to have a camera.

i can just see Steve Jobs whipping the poor chineese workers in the last 2 weeks and working them 24 hours a day to make them take out all the cameras from the brand new ipod touches and replace them with a little cover and rebox them and reseal them to ship to the US. all this and not a single one will have any scratches either from the extra handling
post #238 of 259
I'm a bit disappointed it isn't shipping with a camera. But its not a deal breaker. I've wanted a 64GB touch to replace my old, 6 year old iPod 3rd Generation that costs me $499 back in 2003. But I'm probably going to hold off a while since I just spent $3000 on my new TV and receiver. Maybe by Christmas, I'll be ready.

But a new Nikon D300s and Mac Pro may take precedence over an iPod touch for now.
post #239 of 259
iPod Touch = iPhone - lousy contract - GSM module.

You can polish the pig anyway you want it. But it is not a PSP or a Nintendo DS. I wanted to develop termintator vision apps on the iPod touch as a hobby, now I have to buy an overpriced POS.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #240 of 259
OK, people read this and be clear.
Comparing the iPod Touch ( 3rd gen ) to the iPhone ( I'll take the 3GS as an example. )

iPod Touch does not have
- Phone.
- Camera + Video recording.
- GPS.
- Compass.
- Some apps work only for iPhones.
- SMS/MMS.

These are significant enough features ( save the compass ) to acknowledge that the iPod Touch is not just an iPhone without a phone. The other factors are big and these draw a clear line between iPod and iPhone. If Apple made the iPod Touch exactly the same as the iPhone, only without the phone, this would diminish their iPhone marketshare and sales! The iPod Touch is significantly cheaper than the iPhone too! In my country, a 32GB iPhone 3GS ( Cost of phone + Contract ) costs as much as a 17"Unibody MBP while a 64GB iPod Touch would cost 6 times cheaper! The iPhone is a portable computing device that can make calls. The iPod Touch is just a hand-held device that is significantly weaker in terms of features than the iPhone.

In conclusion: the iPod Touch is the poor man's iPhone. Those who cannot afford the iPhone/ are using another phone buy an iPod Touch as it's OS is very similar to the iPhone and can give them an "iPhone-like" experience. I speak based on personal experience. I have a 32GB 3GS and an 8GB Touch and the Touch is significantly weaker than the iPhone.

AN iPod Touch IS NOT = iPhone WITHOUT THE PHONE!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399