or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399 - Page 2

post #41 of 259
how many of those 21,000 aps in the app store are of the quality of the ds or psp games?

it's easy to say, we have more, but when 10000 of those are fart apps, it doesn't really mean much.
post #42 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

My Wii has wi-fi, internet, calendar. Guess my Wii is a computer too. Woo-hoo.

Technically, it is... one that is a specific purpose computer. Watches are little computers, too... jus' sayin'
post #43 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

So no FM Radio (yet they can in the Nano)? No details on the CPU?

The ZuneHD is cheaper and has:
FM Radio & HD Radio
OLED Screen
1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.

Still to see it in action but I still hold that the iPod wins, merely by software availability alone, and also the price of it. Because they have 50 million custumers already, they have apps of 1$, 2$, 5$. It would take a miracle for MS to top that. And isn't it hilarious that MS gets beaten by Apple due to the availability of 3rd party software?!? I find it funny as hell!! Ahahaha!

So, no, for MS to top Apple with its "sony" friend, they would have to write hundreds of apps very quickly and put them very cheaply. They can't do that, now can they?

We'll see. Yes, the fanboys are irritated, but then again, these bunch are so demanding!! They are almost worse than Steve himself
post #44 of 259
Quote:

FM Radio & HD Radio
OLED Screen
1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.

Sure. Even though Zune has been ignored by consumers, virtually no sales to speak of through their music store, no real footprint in the marketplace... they'll catch up.

But seriously, Apple shot their own foot by ignoring the iPod touch today. Left a lot of disgruntled upgraders flapping in the breeze.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

FAIL. That was the only reason to upgrade.

And having Apple ship the iPod touch with a known defective camera would be what?! FTW???

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #46 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That "tab" on the back of the current touch is for WiFi, I think. Nothing to do with a "shoulda-been" video camera lens.

Funny, it's nearly the same shape, except for the case contours, as the one on the Nano and in the same position as the iPhone's... Besides, it already had wi-fi without that spot. It clearly is a plug for the missing camera...
post #47 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Still to see it in action but I still hold that the iPod wins, merely by software availability alone, and also the price of it. Because they have 50 million custumers already, they have apps of 1$, 2$, 5$. It would take a miracle for MS to top that. And isn't it hilarious that MS gets beaten by Apple due to the availability of 3rd party software?!? I find it funny as hell!! Ahahaha!

So, no, for MS to top Apple with its "sony" friend, they would have to write hundreds of apps very quickly and put them very cheaply. They can't do that, now can they?

We'll see. Yes, the fanboys are irritated, but then again, these bunch are so demanding!! They are almost worse than Steve himself

Just like Apple did a few years ago, MS is paying devs to write games for the new Zune hardware and because there is no installed base the games will be a lot better graphically. most games in the app store are still for 1st gen hardware because of the installed base numbers. i've seen 2 games so far that require the 3GS and they are just graphical rewrites of last year's games
post #48 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Funny, it's nearly the same shape, except for the case contours, as the one on the Nano and in the same position as the iPhone's... Besides, it already had wi-fi without that spot. It clearly is a plug for the missing camera...

Have you ever seen an iPod Touch before? They all have one, since first generation.
post #49 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yes. It can't be a manufacturing problem or of ruining profit margins. It's probably a marketing decision.

But I disagree with Apple on this wholeheartedly. They would have swept up this Christmas with an iPod touch with video. Now I believe that while they will have a successful Christmas shopping season for ipods, it will not be as successful as it could have been.
iPod Touches will beat the zune HD of course. But I believe that the Zune HD will see some good buisness in the coming weeks for sure.

maybe 2nd Gen Touch's have had good enough sales that Apple doesn't thing it's worth it putting a camera on the 3rd gen because not enough people will upgrade from older hardware?
post #50 of 259
Quote:

FM Radio & HD Radio
OLED Screen
1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

Why didn't they make it an XBox portable? That might have given them a fighting chance, and tie it in with a brand that sells.

Otherwise, Microsoft's track record with portable devices doesn't compare well with Apple's portable device track record. Windows Mobile had a chance to take over, a decade's worth of them. Same with Windows CE. Same with Zune. Why they have two mobile OSs seems to be a pretty silly mistake. They all sell, but at often a distant second or third. I recall MS dropped the Zune phone idea.
post #51 of 259
Now I am so glad I bought my iPhone 3GS with video. Something is wrong with this picture here. Was it the thinness of the Touch that was preventing this or the addition of a mic that AT&T balked at?
Anyone who owns last year's Touch will not upgrade for just this. This is not good.
post #52 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

And having Apple ship the iPod touch with a known defective camera would be what?! FTW???

Dave

Having an iPod Touch with no camera at all is a total fail . Removes any reason I have to get one.
post #53 of 259
And yo JEFF.....don't be editing my blasted posts! I can use large font sizes as long as you have them available on the site. And I didn't use them for the entire post just certain words.

Don't annoy me. This ain't the time. I'm not really upset........yet.
post #54 of 259
Quote:

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance.

I don't know about the entire world thats a mighty big number you're putting in your camp but the Zune clearly has the somewhat undivided attention 5% of the media player market (give or take). So they got THAT going for em, which is NICE!***

*** My homage to Bill Murray

Dave
post #55 of 259
The rumored technical glitch in manufacturing must have been with the 16Gb version. Where's that lovely model?
post #56 of 259
Quote:

And yo JEFF.....don't be editing my blasted posts! I can use large font sizes as long as you have them available on the site. And I didn't use them for the entire post just certain words.

Don't annoy me. This ain't the time. I'm not really upset........yet.

Oh, boo hoo.
post #57 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Did you not read the AI article saying that the touch was having troubles w/ the camera? People got pissed over the article and when it comes to fruition, they are blaming it on a secret conspiracy. If you want a camera on the touch you will probably have to wait until early next year.

Oh I read it alright.

And "hey" I said "fine". I assumed all that meant was that there would be a delay in shipping the production units when everything was finally ironed out. Even if it took a few months at least the ipod touch with camera would be announced today.

But with today's announcements it looks like they will skip it altogether! We won't see the ipod touch with a camera until this time next year.....maybe.
post #58 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Oh, boo hoo.

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You did your job, you edited the posts....now don't say a word more to me.

EDIT: I decided to edit my post at the last second before you responded. Seriously, drop it.
post #59 of 259
Quote:

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You edited the posts....now shut up.

And now you're arguing with a Global Moderator as to what he is and isn't able to do...
post #60 of 259
Apple has got me so ticked off, I'll probably put my energy into getting a 1-G iPhone cheap and forget buying these ho-hum iPod touches. That way, Apple won't get a penny and I'll probably save money.

I need a camera, and I need a mike and I don't want to pay AT&T fees. I also need them soon. I thought I would get that in the new touches. Instead, Apple is giving the tiny Nano more features but not the iPod touch. Why? With that tiny 2.2-inch Nano screen you can't see much of what you've taken and the equally tiny battery isn't likely to last long in video mode.

What's going on? If Apple has production problems with camera-equipped touches, they should say so, give us the details of new touch, and a release date. This cult of secrecy is such a pain. You'd think they were the Kremlin circa 1935. Both have a cult-like obsession with not admitting mistakes.

Still worse is the possibility that Apple wants to build high walls between its products, doling out features in odd ways to fit a marketing straight-jacket. The iPhone would be for work and business for those with the money. The touch is for games but not recreation, hence the lack of a camera and the boring length of game promotion today. Color touch users fat and flabby couch potatoes. The Nano is for mostly outdoor recreation (camera and Nike added), but has nothing that lets you get work done. If so, it's stupid move. Users don't want to klutz with 2-3 gadgets.

To add insult to injury, I just checked the specs on the new touches. The 8 gig model ships with the old-style earphones not the remote earphones and without a plastic dock adapter. Total saving for Apple? Probably about 25 to 50 cents. Cost to customers who don't want to pull their touch out of their pocket every time they pause music: $30 That stinks. Heck, even the cheap little $59 Shuttle ships with remote earphones. While Jobs was gone, the niggling little bean counters seem to have been running Apple. This is the unfortunate result.

I hate companies that treat their customers as if they were stupid, and that's precisely how I feel Apple is treating its customers now.
post #61 of 259
Oh well, no camera means my old 1st gen Touch will soldier on. Thanks for saving me money, Apple!
Annapolis, MD
Mac Mini Core Duo
MacBook
Annapolis, MD
Mac Mini Core Duo
MacBook
post #62 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff View Post

Have you ever seen an iPod Touch before? They all have one, since first generation.

lol... Yeah, but didn't notice. My nephew had one until it got recently stolen, and a couple of friends have them. I was waiting for the new features. I'm not getting one today, but will within the next 30 or so days, probably. Considering a new Nano, too - divided.

I really wish the Touch would have come with the GPS chip. It would be nice for it to double as a Tom Tom. The camera isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice. I'd like to get an iPhone, instead, but refuse to get AT&T service. Considering rumors that the iPhone is coming to Verizon next year, that's something else to think about. Darn Apple... Too many good choices to consider!
post #63 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Oh, boo hoo.

He's right, y'know. Why offer large fonts if they're not allowed? Take 'em out.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #64 of 259
Apple has got me so ticked off, I'll probably put my energy into getting a 1-G iPhone cheap and forget buying these ho-hum iPod touches. That way, Apple won't get a penny and I'll probably save money.

I need a camera, and I need a mike and I don't want to pay AT&T fees. I also need them soon. I thought I would get that in the new touches. Instead, Apple is giving the tiny Nano more features but not the iPod touch. Why? With that tiny 2.2-inch Nano screen you can't see much of what you've taken and the equally tiny battery isn't likely to last long in video mode.

What's going on? If Apple has production problems with camera-equipped touches, they should say so, give us the details of new touch, and a release date. This cult of secrecy is such a pain. You'd think they were the Kremlin circa 1935. Both have a cult-like obsession with not admitting mistakes.

Still worse is the possibility that Apple wants to build high walls between its products, doling out features in odd ways to fit a marketing straight-jacket. The iPhone would be for work and business for those with the money. The touch is for games but not recreation, hence the lack of a camera and the boring length of game promotion today. Color touch users fat and flabby couch potatoes. The Nano is for mostly outdoor recreation (camera and Nike added), but has nothing that lets you get work done. If so, it's stupid move.

To add insult to injury, I just checked the specs on the new touches. The 8 gig model ships with the old-style earphones not the remote earphones and without a plastic dock adapter. Total saving for Apple? Probably about 25 to 50 cents. Cost to customers who don't want to pull their touch out of their pocket every time they pause music: $30 That stinks. Heck, even the cheap little $59 Shuttle ships with remote earphones. While Jobs was gone, the niggling little bean counters seem to have been running Apple. This is the unfortunate result.

I hate companies that treat their customers as if they were stupid, and that's precisely how I feel Apple is treating its customers now.
post #65 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple has got me so ticked off, I'll probably put my energy into getting a 1-G iPhone cheap and forget buying these ho-hum iPod touches. That way, Apple won't get a penny and I'll probably save money.[/B]

Apple can make some really boneheaded decisions as a result of trying to offer clear benefits to upgrading in their product line. Today's lineup is a bit of a baffling mish-mash. Hopefully it'll be cleaned up by Christmas.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #66 of 259
Quote:

That was such a big comment I guess it was worth reusing it at other sites...
post #67 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now I am so glad I bought my iPhone 3GS with video. Something is wrong with this picture here. Was it the thinness of the Touch that was preventing this or the addition of a mic that AT&T balked at?
Anyone who owns last year's Touch will not upgrade for just this. This is not good.

I'm thinking I'm a prime example. I bought an 8gb 2nd Gen Touch about 6 months ago. I was prepared to sell it and move up to a 16gb with a camera and (hoping for) GPS.

This result is a huge yawn for me. There is no 16gb and I don't need 32gb. With no camera or GPS, I don't see any reason to sell what I've got and move up.

FWIW, the Touch is the only Apple product I own. I do love it and was prepared to give Jobs more of my money. Not now.
post #68 of 259
There will be no iTouch or any other iPod purchase for me today. I was planning on heading to the Apple Store just minutes from my office to pick up an iTouch with the new camera. What a huge, huge misstep on Apple's part, manufacturing or marketing decision aside. With the Christmas season ahead, I will NOT be spending a dime on this new camera-less iTouch, nor will I be purchasing an iPhone, as I refuse to switch to the inferior AT&T service.

I'm a very committed Apple buyer, who has bought nearly $20,000 worth of Apple products this past year. The company won't be getting any more money from me, at least not from an iPod/Touch purchase. Stupid, stupid, stupid.....I'm still shaking my head at the incredible misstep the company has made today. Massive. I'm sure there are MANY people like me out there who feel the same and will withhold their dollars.
post #69 of 259
Quote:

The ZuneHD is cheaper and has ...

Obviously you're angry but there's no need to lie. Zune HD is not cheaper. It also doesn't play games which is the primary use of the iPod touch.
post #70 of 259
I think Apple will be discontinuing the iPod Touch line, and they left out the camera for this reason. The iPod Touch will be reborn as the entry level Apple Tablet device which will include the camera, and a host of other new features. It will be available alongside it's 7" or 9" (or whatever) sibling
post #71 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hmmm... I think I'm a bit more than a teensy bit pissed.

when I got my iPhone 3GS, I sold my 16GB Touch 2 anticipating camera and 16GB for a bit more, intending to hand that to my daughter.
Understanding that it was my own gamble (that apparently didn't pay out), but I now will end up either getting her just a Nano with camera (but without the apps she's gotten hooked on), or pay out a chunk more for what is merely a replacement for the touch I sold, with extra memory we don't need. No 16 GB? That really sucks.

If those are your life problems, consider yourself blessed.
post #72 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Obviously you're angry but there's no need to lie. Zune HD is not cheaper. It also doesn't play games which is the primary use of the iPod touch.

the ZuneHD will have games, otherwise MS wouldn't have bought the Tegra from Nvidia
post #73 of 259
I'm sorry, but really, why is everyone in full on geek rage over an unsubstantiated rumor not coming to fruition?
post #74 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

But that is not the primary use. It is a portable media player that also plays games. You will never hear Apple say that it's a gaming device, which I believe is the smart thing to do. Without buttons this cannot be a successful "gaming" device. It will just be a device that plays games.
post #75 of 259
There can be only one explanation. Apple doesn't want the iPod Touch to succeed too much thus cannibalizing the iPhone. I consider the Touch a very nice pda device, it just need it to be 3g enabled also. The iPhone is nice too but way too bulky as a cell phone. Therefore I whould have bought the new Touch but with no GPS, compass and camera I will opt for a regular cell phone instead. BTW Sony has better sound quality anyway.
post #76 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff View Post

Yes, I remember reading that the plastic plug is a window for the WiFi antennae -- giving the Touch improved WiFi reception. Definitely not new.
post #77 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If those are your life problems, consider yourself blessed.

Seconded.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #78 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I think Apple will be discontinuing the iPod Touch line, and they left out the camera for this reason. The iPod Touch will be reborn as the entry level Apple Tablet device which will include the camera, and a host of other new features. It will be available alongside it's 7" or 9" (or whatever) sibling

That's makes sense but it should have been introduced like yesterday?
post #79 of 259
Quote:

Still worse is the possibility that Apple wants to build high walls between its products, doling out features in odd ways to fit a marketing straight-jacket. The iPhone would be for work and business for those with the money. The touch is for games but not recreation, hence the lack of a camera and the boring length of game promotion today. Color touch users fat and flabby couch potatoes. The Nano is for mostly outdoor recreation (camera and Nike added), but has nothing that lets you get work done. If so, it's stupid move. Users don't want to klutz with 2-3 gadgets.

The nano got better, the touch got better (just not as big as an improvement as the nano), while the 8 GB touch got cheaper. While I understand how frustrating it is that the touch doesn't have a camera, your rant is completely off-base. Apple doesn't owe you anything. They aren't treating their customers as if they are stupid, they just didn't give you everything you wanted and you are whining.

They aren't stupid either. The touch was by far the best selling ipod, and it will continue to be with its incremental improvements. The nano was in need of a facelift and it got it. It is much more attractive now and will sell more units. Why would Apple explain why there is no camera on the touch? They never said that it would have one. Apple doesn't have to give an explanation to the rumor community.

Finally, why would they release a new ipod touch and then say "if you wait two months we will have the production problems solved and a new model with a camera will be released"??? Who would buy the touch they just anounced then? The shipping date isn't too hard to figure out either given Apples history. The earliest the touch will get a camera is probably next year around this time. For whatever reason the camera didn't make the cut for this year, deal with it.

PS: Remember that you buying a 1st gen iPhone wont give Apple any money directly, but you are enabling someone else to go buy a new 3GS which will give Apple a lot of money. Don't buy stuff to spite Apple, buy what you want. If Apple doesn't make what you want, buy from someone else (although I doubt that you will find what you are looking for elsewhere).
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #80 of 259
Apple prices still a ripoff in Europe. We didn't get any pre-event discounts and $ is still converted straight to . At the moment 1 = $1.45.

There are nothing like enough differences in taxes to make up anything like that kind of overcharging
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399