or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumsfeld rules!

Rumsfeld rules!

post #1 of 10
I like watching Pentagon press breifings. Sec. Rumsfeld seems like such an old school gunslinger. The press corps will keep asking the same question in different ways to try to get a certain answer, and eventually he'll just cut them off at the knees by explaining his response like they were two years old.

I love political guys who aren't afraid of the press!

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.

post #2 of 10
Some have said that the press baits him to get him to reply that way. Ask him three times what to do with people who don't surrender and he'll say "We kill them."

He does rule though. Anyone still think we should stop bombing for Ramadan so the Arab Street will feel better about all this?
post #3 of 10
[quote]Some have said that the press baits him to get him to reply that way. Ask him three times what to do with people who don't surrender and he'll say "We kill them."<hr></blockquote>

Why do they bother with those press "briefings" anyway? They are always so predictable in their lack of news. The official answers range from "no comment", or "we have no information" or "I am not at liberty to say"..etc etc. And this is hardly surprising, since CNN is broadcast worldwide and any relevant/current information as to whats going on could probably be advantageous to the adversary.
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
post #4 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by Samantha Joanne Ollendale:
<strong>

Why do they bother with those press "briefings" anyway? They are always so predictable in their lack of news. The official answers range from "no comment", or "we have no information" or "I am not at liberty to say"..etc etc. And this is hardly surprising, since CNN is broadcast worldwide and any relevant/current information as to whats going on could probably be advantageous to the adversary.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure of they didn't then the press would be up in arms claiming that they were trying to hide something.
post #5 of 10
In my Public Relations class this semester we learned that even when you have nothing to say, you still say something. Even if it ends up being, "We have nothing new to tell you."

It appeases people.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #6 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:
<strong>In my Public Relations class this semester we learned that even when you have nothing to say, you still say something. Even if it ends up being, "We have nothing new to tell you."

It appeases people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Brilliant
j/k

From what I can tell, Rumsfeld seems like a pretty good guy in general; I liked his interview with Larry King, there was actually some interesting discussion there. I also noticed his habit of talking to the reporters like "2 year-olds," very funny :-D.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Nick ]</p>
post #7 of 10
Wow, Now I don't have to take a PR class. That saves me a few months and thousands of dollars!

Who hires PR people that say something when you have nothing to say?

(I guess I should ask my PR wife)
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #8 of 10
CosmoNut-

Have you ever brought Steve Jobs up to the instructors? I'd like to hear what they think of ol' RDF man himself...

Jeff

post #9 of 10
Rumsfield is my new hero of 2001. The world needs more old-school, tough-a$$, take-no-bullsh!t guys like that.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
post #10 of 10
I agree with you people. Sometimes reporters need to be talked to like 2 year olds 'cause they really don't understand the situation or what they are asking.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumsfeld rules!