or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nike plans iPod nano-compatible heart rate monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nike plans iPod nano-compatible heart rate monitor

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
In addition to a built-in pedometer, the new fifth-generation iPod nano will be compatible with an upcoming Nike-branded heart rate monitor for fitness-minded users, AppleInsider has learned.

Evidence of the device exists in the latest Nike+ iPod user guide, posted on Apple's Web site. The 28-page document includes a section entitled "Linking a Nike + iPod Compatible Remote or Heart Rate Monitor." It states that only the fifth-generation ipod nano, announced Wednesday, is compatible.

In addition, people familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that the accessory was initially expected to launch alongside the next-generation iPod nano, but it has been delayed for an unknown period of time.

The manual states that Nike+ compatible heart rate monitors are sold separately. The device can be connected to the new iPod nano under the hardware's settings. It does not appear that the heart rate monitor would work with the iPod touch.

The latest iPod nano has a built-in pedometer that will sync to the Nike+ software. Previously, the system required an external transmitter to track steps. The system keeps track of milestones like running distance, as well as calories burned.

Other features exclusive to the new iPod nano with Nike+ are the ability to listen to FM radio, playing "PowerSong" playlists during a workout, and reviewing workouts. According to the user manual, the latest hardware provides users daily totals of Nike + iPod workouts, pedometer steps, and cardio workouts using Nike + iPod compatible gym equipment.

Thanks to reader Adam for the Nike+ manual.

Beyond the workout-related additions, the new iPod nano has an integrated video camera, allows users to pause live radio, and can create Genius Mixes for automatic playlists of songs that go well together. The tiny device, with a size of 1.1 cubic inches, costs $149 for the 8GB model, and $179 for the 16GB offering.
post #2 of 22
It's about time.
post #3 of 22
I wish Nike would offer a Nike+ kit for cycling.
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Reply
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Reply
post #4 of 22
How does the pedometer work? Do you have to attach the iPod Nano to your hip? Placing it on an arm band like many people do won't yield accurate results because some people move their arms while they run, while others keep them up.
post #5 of 22
I am assuming the pedometer works with the Nike+ shoe.

My next pair of running shoes will be Nike+ but I really wish this system was compatible with the entire line of ipods/iphone. Although the Nano is perfect size for working out/running I already own an older Ipod "classic" and an Iphone. Neither the iphone or nano will hold my entire music collection. It would be nice if I could just carry my iphone instead of purchasing an entirely new ipod that I would use only for working out.
post #6 of 22
Damn, I upgraded to the 3GS partly because of the Nike+ support. Was hoping they'd add a heart rate monitor so I'll be disappointed if it is 5th Gen Nano only

Wouldn't mind them adding something for cycling but I can't see how that would work and I can understand why they wouldn't because cycling isn't really their thing.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecR View Post

I am assuming the pedometer works with the Nike+ shoe.

My next pair of running shoes will be Nike+ but I really wish this system was compatible with the entire line of ipods/iphone. Although the Nano is perfect size for working out/running I already own an older Ipod "classic" and an Iphone. Neither the iphone or nano will hold my entire music collection. It would be nice if I could just carry my iphone instead of purchasing an entirely new ipod that I would use only for working out.

The article says:

Quote:
The latest iPod nano has a built-in pedometer that will sync to the Nike+ software. Previously, the system required an external transmitter to track steps.

The transmitter in the shoe is the pedometer in previous versions of Nike+. Putting it directly in the Nano eliminates the need for the transmitter in the shoe. I just think that the Nano would have to be placed on your hip or inside a pants pocket.

The pedometer is just really an accelerometer that detects up and down motion. Each up-down cycle is a step. This is why I think that you won't be able to strap it to your arm.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

The article says:



The transmitter in the shoe is the pedometer in previous versions of Nike+. Putting it directly in the Nano eliminates the need for the transmitter in the shoe. I just think that the Nano would have to be placed on your hip or inside a pants pocket.

The pedometer is just really an accelerometer that detects up and down motion. Each up-down cycle is a step. This is why I think that you won't be able to strap it to your arm.


Wow, not sure how I missed that. It seems like the best place for it is in the shoe... not the ipod.
post #9 of 22
If you look at http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features/fitness.html the software seems to have been greatly improved, hope they roll these changes into the iPhone OS fairly quickly
post #10 of 22
Could this product be connected to the iProd1,1 device listed in iPhone3.1 ? Just asking.
post #11 of 22
Can we get something straight here, the Nike+ pebble that is placed in the shoe is not just counting your steps, it also calculates your speed: "The shoe sensor's accelerometer measures the amount of time a runner's foot is on the ground, which is inversely proportional to speed." From:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/...urrentPage=all

The pedometer in the new Nano is only counting steps.

The new Nano also supports the Nike+ sensor that plugs into the dock to support the pebble.
post #12 of 22
Whatever happened to plans to integrate iPods into some kind of system for standardized exercise equipment data collection? We need an iPod nano that will work with Bluetooth to collect workout info from spinning cycles, treadmills, stepclimbers, etc. Make the nano the de facto tool for fitness geeks everywhere!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Whatever happened to plans to integrate iPods into some kind of system for standardized exercise equipment data collection? We need an iPod nano that will work with Bluetooth to collect workout info from spinning cycles, treadmills, stepclimbers, etc. Make the nano the de facto tool for fitness geeks everywhere!

Please- that's something useful. Smeary videos but no pics, and radios? is where it's at!
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

Could this product be connected to the iProd1,1 device listed in iPhone3.1 ? Just asking.

Is the iProd used to check for colon cancer?
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

The pedometer in the new Nano is only counting steps.

How can we be sure it only counts steps? Accelerometers are pretty advanced. They may do a lot with software to detect various activities such as the difference between walking, running, swinging arms, etc.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello View Post

I wish Nike would offer a Nike+ kit for cycling.

They probably don't want to get sued by the first person who gets hit by a car using it and listening to music while cycling.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecR View Post

I am assuming the pedometer works with the Nike+ shoe.

My next pair of running shoes will be Nike+ but I really wish this system was compatible with the entire line of ipods/iphone. Although the Nano is perfect size for working out/running I already own an older Ipod "classic" and an Iphone. Neither the iphone or nano will hold my entire music collection. It would be nice if I could just carry my iphone instead of purchasing an entirely new ipod that I would use only for working out.

The iPhone 3GS is Nike+ compatible.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBELinBLUE View Post

Damn, I upgraded to the 3GS partly because of the Nike+ support. Was hoping they'd add a heart rate monitor so I'll be disappointed if it is 5th Gen Nano only

Wouldn't mind them adding something for cycling but I can't see how that would work and I can understand why they wouldn't because cycling isn't really their thing.

Seems like cycling would be fairly easy. Add a magnet to a wheel spoke and a magnetic sensor on the fork that aligns with it. Could communicate wirelessly with a receiver attached to an iPod, just like the Nike+ for running. Once calibrated over a set distance, the iPod will know how many revolutions are in a mile, for instance. I think it'd be pretty cool, actually, and I've been wondering why they haven't done it yet.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumate View Post

Seems like cycling would be fairly easy. Add a magnet to a wheel spoke and a magnetic sensor on the fork that aligns with it. Could communicate wirelessly with a receiver attached to an iPod, just like the Nike+ for running. Once calibrated over a set distance, the iPod will know how many revolutions are in a mile, for instance. I think it'd be pretty cool, actually, and I've been wondering why they haven't done it yet.

Wouldn't wheel size, gearing and cadence also have to be taken into affect?

I've never used a bike computer when cycling so I don't really know
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBELinBLUE View Post

Wouldn't wheel size, gearing and cadence also have to be taken into affect?

I've never used a bike computer when cycling so I don't really know

No, no matter how fast you're going or what gear you're in, the wheel still revolves the same number of times over a given distance. So once the sensor is calibrated the system would know that there are, for example, 1600 revolutions in one mile. Once it knows that, it can figure out pacing by comparing the time taken to complete 1600 revolutions. It wouldn't be able to calculate cadence, though, just pace and distance.
post #21 of 22
Ah yes now I think about it that makes sense.

As I said previously though I can understand why they don't add it, not really their business. Although I'd love it if they would really since my Nike+ profile thinks I've been sitting on my backside for the last 8 days when instead I have just been cycling instead of running
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Can we get something straight here, the Nike+ pebble that is placed in the shoe is not just counting your steps, it also calculates your speed: "The shoe sensor's accelerometer measures the amount of time a runner's foot is on the ground, which is inversely proportional to speed." From:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/...urrentPage=all

The pedometer in the new Nano is only counting steps.

The new Nano also supports the Nike+ sensor that plugs into the dock to support the pebble.

Yeah, Apple left this open to a bit of confusion. The built-in pedometer does not replace the Nike+ receiver. The Nano still requires it for connecting to the "pebble". I'm actually irritated that they added a camera, but not a built-in Nike+ receiver. I'm still using Nike+ with 1G Nano and am tired of the external piece.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nike plans iPod nano-compatible heart rate monitor