or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more - Page 2

post #41 of 89
well, I will finally have time tonight to install SL, after backing up 2 of my macs earlier in the week.

There has been reports saying that SL broke DVD play back, and this update says it fixes that, so can anyone with a SL broken DVD function confirms the fix? I dont want to risk breaking DVD playback on my mini since its my entertainment center hooked to my TV.
post #42 of 89
Installed the update 10.6.1 which hasn't resolved customer issues (ie: GUI artifacts, shaders not displaying correct colours) on high-end software such as Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema4D, Houdini, etc. Apple Insider should take a look into all the complaints being filed by Autodesk (Maya, 3DS Max), SideEffects (Houdini) and Maxon (Cinema4D) customers regarding problems running their software after upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard. The complaints are from both freelancers and studios. Add to that I now experience Safari freezing on me when visiting sites such as Wired. Apple's R&D team really need to test their software thoroughly before rushing out an update which can cause more problems than solutions for customers.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Apple fix the damn vertical lines in safari !!!!!! It's freaking annoying
damn!!!!!!

File a bug report. Bitching about it here only gets you sympathy with no action.
post #44 of 89
hi
I found that although my printerdriver said it needed updating, everything worked when i FIRST deleted the old installed printers and reinstalled with the same driver software.......

oddipoddi
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Open GL is 1% even slower or more than double less than Leopard .

Nice sentence construction, Master Yoda!

OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

well, I will finally have time tonight to install SL, after backing up 2 of my macs earlier in the week.

There has been reports saying that SL broke DVD play back, and this update says it fixes that, so can anyone with a SL broken DVD function confirms the fix? I dont want to risk breaking DVD playback on my mini since its my entertainment center hooked to my TV.

With a good backup, preferably two, you can risk installing SL, imo. Especially since OSX.6.1 is out now.
If SL bombs on (one of) your machine(s) you can of course solve it by restoring the backup.

Please let us know how you fare.
post #47 of 89
I enjoyed the streamlined installation of Snow Leopard and was wondering if the updates followed in the same vein? Are we done with the delta vs. combo update strangeness that sometimes befuddled new users?

Anyone geeky enough to know whether this single download is essentially a combo update?

If the days of waiting a bit longer for the combo updates to appear on Apple's download pages vs. seeing a smaller offering in the Software Update menu are over, it's a welcome change.

It'd be a nice option to have Apple's OS updates fix disk permissions (as recommended by various MacFixit articles) upon a restart, before the update is applied.
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Nice sentence construction, Master Yoda!

That's what happens after about 16 hours of constant staring at the computer screen. I had a really busy day yesterday (lots of programming).

And to top it all off I slept about 3.5 hours last night and now it's more programming. And people wonder how bugs get into software .

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Sure, I'll be the first to doubt the accuracy of XBench measurement of say CPU performance (since it never spikes any of my 8 cores) etc. Hence this test is good as comparative test on the same hardware.

Which brings me to the next point. Like I mentioned speed of the disk was not measured in either test. Also, graphics driver is loaded in memory when the system starts so, disk performance should not come into play. Also, if anything my Leopard install has more things running at all times, unlike the Snow Leopard test which had nothing but clean OS X install and XBench on it .

Well, most of the tests under 10.6 are better, as expected. Some are slower, but some of that can be due to unoptimized drivers this early in 10.6's life. That's not unusual either.

Have you looked at the tests done by Barefeats of graphics under 10.6 with open CL? Pretty interesting, though I couldn't get Galaxie working on my Mac Pro for some reason, and Have an e-mail to them about that.
post #50 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Good to have you back, Mel.

Thanks. I miss the UK already.
post #51 of 89
Quote:

Yes, that was the HP web page I was referring to before.

But their instructions don't work. The computer still doesn't see the printer, so something else is wrong.
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblavoie View Post

Well, my Canon was working before Snow Leopard. I do know that this isn't Apple fault, but it's broken now.

It sure is Apple's fault, they are the system integrator. Windows has to insure that over 9000 dirvers are working when they release an update.
post #53 of 89
Quote:

damn!!!!!!

What vertical lines? I don't see that.
post #54 of 89
Quote:

damn!!!!!!

Nobody else seems to be having that problem.

What kind of computer are you on, are you running 10.6.1, and what steps did you try to fix it before you came running HERE instead of the Apple bug report page?

You could try trashing your Safari preferences, for one thing.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #55 of 89
Apple now has a page for HP printer drivers for 10.6.1. It's here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

But it still didn't work.

I finally got the printer to work by inputting the IP address directly, which I normally don't like to do, as it can change with network configurations upon turning devices off and on. But at least I can print with it.
post #56 of 89
Quote: You can connect to HP printers on your local network that use Bonjour, IP, and Open Directory, as well as shared printers connected to an Apple Airport base station.

--
I am able to send one document to our HP printer via airport express and it will print fine. When I send the next, it will come up with a communication error and I need to reboot the airport express. Seems to affect a number of people using APX and HP printers. Not sure if it is an Apple or HP issue but none of our Leopard machines are having this issue.
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the release notes, Mac OS X 10.6.1:
Improves compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems

this article lists all the Sprint and Verizon EVDO devices that already work using Snow Leopard's built-in WWAN support: http://bit.ly/1r5pNe
the EVDO Experts are at EVDOinfo.com
the EVDO Experts are at EVDOinfo.com
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Quote: You can connect to HP printers on your local network that use Bonjour, IP, and Open Directory, as well as shared printers connected to an Apple Airport base station.

--
I am able to send one document to our HP printer via airport express and it will print fine. When I send the next, it will come up with a communication error and I need to reboot the airport express. Seems to affect a number of people using APX and HP printers. Not sure if it is an Apple or HP issue but none of our Leopard machines are having this issue.

I suppose it also matters how old the printer is. My CLS8500N is from 1998. It's an older machine that came out just before Bonjour was made available. The one year later CLS 8550N model does use Bonjour. The only difference is between the JetDirect cards in the machine, but I never could get the upgrade.

Of course this printer is a heavy duty commercial model still used by companies, so it's still supported.

I'm not using APX, but a wired connection through the router. ll I can suggest is to try IP printing with IPP and type the IP address directly into the address line below. It then recognizes the printer, and all is fine.
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

I noticed the same thing with the new ATi firmware and after checking via system profiler these are the differences I noticed and would be the reason it is not needed.

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Chipset: ATI,RadeonHD2600
Vendor ATI (0x1002)
DeviceID 0x9583
RevisionID 0x0000
ROM Version 113-B2250F-219
EFI Driver Version 01.00.219

The above 2 have 219 at the end instead of 212

This is under 10.6.1

I have yet to read of anyone successfully installing this update.
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I suppose it also matters how old the printer is. My CLS8500N is from 1998. It's an older machine that came out just before Bonjour was made available. The one year later CLS 8550N model does use Bonjour. The only difference is between the JetDirect cards in the machine, but I never could get the upgrade.

Of course this printer is a heavy duty commercial model still used by companies, so it's still supported.

I'm not using APX, but a wired connection through the router. ll I can suggest is to try IP printing with IPP and type the IP address directly into the address line below. It then recognizes the printer, and all is fine.

Thanks Melgross. I am downloading the HP drivers 2.1 that someone else referenced and if that does not work I will try manually adding an IP address. The printer is less than 3 years old and is apparently supported under SL - the problem for me and others seems to be the airport express - plugging in directly takes care of the problem but it is not a practical solution unfortunately.
post #61 of 89
Quote:

Thanks Melgross. I am downloading the HP drivers 2.1 that someone else referenced and if that does not work I will try manually adding an IP address. The printer is less than 3 years old and is apparently supported under SL - the problem for me and others seems to be the airport express - plugging in directly takes care of the problem but it is not a practical solution unfortunately.

Quick update - the new drivers released on Sept 10 have made my print problems worse - I can't print anything now (before I could at least print one document, reset APX and then print another.) No luck on the IP printing either. Will try the suggestion to install Leopard print drivers.
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

Installed the update 10.6.1 which hasn't resolved customer issues (ie: GUI artifacts, shaders not displaying correct colours) on high-end software such as Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema4D, Houdini, etc. Apple Insider should take a look into all the complaints being filed by Autodesk (Maya, 3DS Max), SideEffects (Houdini) and Maxon (Cinema4D) customers regarding problems running their software after upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard. The complaints are from both freelancers and studios. Add to that I now experience Safari freezing on me when visiting sites such as Wired. Apple's R&D team really need to test their software thoroughly before rushing out an update which can cause more problems than solutions for customers.

There is an OS X version of 3DS Max?
post #63 of 89
Quote:

When I plug the cable into the second Ethernet port on the Mac Pro, it till doesn't see it. This is odd.

Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2 (otherwise known as eth0 and eth1 on unix) are two distinctly different interfaces. In order to use eth1 you need to configure it in the network settings and assign it an IP or dhcp before it will be recognized.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post

I have yet to read of anyone successfully installing this update.

You are right. Here is a link for anyone interested in this topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....53574&tstart=0

Edit: Issue is about the inability to install firmware for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphic card.
HD 2400 XT

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #65 of 89
Visit the manufacturers website and just download the Leopard drivers. Might work.

Now my Brother HL-5370DW has complete, fully-featured drivers, and I can print in full HQ1200. Including duplexing. The works, really. I don't really need any Snow Leopard drivers now.

That was almost too easy.
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Visit the manufacturers website and just download the Leopard drivers. Might work.

Now my Brother HL-5370DW has complete, fully-featured drivers, and I can print in full HQ1200. Including duplexing. The works, really. I don't really need any Snow Leopard drivers now.

That was almost too easy.

Thanks. Tried that first but HP has this who page devoted to saying that you get the drivers from SL and you cannot download them from their site.
post #67 of 89
My HP LaserJet 3390 AIO was reduced to just a printer on the computers that were updated to 10.6. Installed 10.6.1 and the HP drivers and now all the computers can use the scanning and fax functions. On one of the machine, iMac 2.4, I had to delete the HP software and download it from the HP site. The site said for 10.5 but it works with 10.6.1
post #68 of 89
Quote:

Thanks. Tried that first but HP has this who page devoted to saying that you get the drivers from SL and you cannot download them from their site.

Is there a way for you to get the Leopard drivers? I know HP directs you to SL, but they might still have OS X 10.5 drivers posted. Those who did not upgrade to SL still need Leoapard drivers, for example. You can usually select which OS you have, product, etc. When it asks you to select your OS, just choose Leopard and not 10.6.
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post

My HP LaserJet 3390 AIO was reduced to just a printer on the computers that were updated to 10.6. Installed 10.6.1 and the HP drivers and now all the computers can use the scanning and fax functions. On one of the machine, iMac 2.4, I had to delete the HP software and download it from the HP site. The site said for 10.5 but it works with 10.6.1

I have a feeling that in some cases (maybe not all), people simply need to visit the manufacturer's website and get Leopard drivers instead. This often involves selecting "Leopard" as your OS, etc.
post #70 of 89
I was hoping they would address the Virtual Software USB noise issues, but I'm guessing they are only just now hearing about it.

All Virtual Machine products appear to be affected (VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare Fusion). Using a USB headset in a virtual machine gives you an ear full of screech. I had to downgrade back to Leopard today.

Hopefully soon...
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #71 of 89
Quote:

I have a feeling that in some cases (maybe not all), people simply need to visit the manufacturer's website and get Leopard drivers instead. This often involves selecting "Leopard" as your OS, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the leopard drivers but have the same issue - seems like it might be an APX issue?
post #72 of 89
Well I installed it on my iMac yesterday - upgraded from Tiger.

I have to say that despite the numerous and annoying interface inconsistencies, I kinda like it.

One thing that Win7 does better though is you can visually tell an application has minimized windows because the app icon changes to show 'depth' behind it - in SL the only way to tell you have minimized icons is via Expose.

I held off upgrading iLife to '09 however and will wait until likely iLife '10 when hopefully Apple will have made the apps 64bit.

But ya, overall I'm quite happy with it.
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I have to say that despite the numerous and annoying interface inconsistencies, I kinda like it.

One thing that Win7 does better though is you can visually tell an application has minimized windows because the app icon changes to show 'depth' behind it - in SL the only way to tell you have minimized icons is via Expose.

That is a good point. It was never too much trouble before as apps would minimize to the area of the Dock where folders were kept. I personally never liked this effect as I want them to leave my sight completely, but with Snow Leopard you can turn on the "Minizime window into application icon in the Docks System Preferences. I much prefer the Exposé setup with the minimized windows showing up as thumb nails in the bottom of the screen, but Im sure some would like the option to have a way to see the minimized windows show up visually on the Dock icon. Submit it to Apple as a request.

Quote:
I held off upgrading iLife to '09 however and will wait until likely iLife '10 when hopefully Apple will have made the apps 64bit.

I wonder if iLife 10 and iWork 10 will not happen, but instead well get iLife X and iWork X. Besides the X making it sound cool it may be a pattern they are introducing to major apps (or suits) that have been converted to Cocoa, and by extension 64-bit. I think were likely to stick with iTunes 9 until they do the extensive rewriting that will make iTunes X Cocoa. Who knows how long these will take to rewrite. The new Mac holiday releases presumably coming next month? CES in January 2010? WWDC 2010? Later?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #74 of 89
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the leopard drivers but have the same issue - seems like it might be an APX issue?

Hmmm . . . guess it doesn't always work. I confess I only tried it for my Brother laser, so I assumed it might work for other kinds.

Were you not able to get generic drivers off the Leopard disc?
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2 (otherwise known as eth0 and eth1 on unix) are two distinctly different interfaces. In order to use eth1 you need to configure it in the network settings and assign it an IP or dhcp before it will be recognized.

I'm running my network over eth1, and connected the printer to eth0. I know how to set these up as I've done it many times.

The point I was attempting to make was that it wasn't a router problem, and that even a direct hookup didn't work.

As I've since mentioned, I got it working (connected to the router) over IPP by inputting the actual IP address, which I really didn't want to have to do.
post #76 of 89
Quote:

Is there a way for you to get the Leopard drivers? I know HP directs you to SL, but they might still have OS X 10.5 drivers posted. Those who did not upgrade to SL still need Leoapard drivers, for example. You can usually select which OS you have, product, etc. When it asks you to select your OS, just choose Leopard and not 10.6.

They are on the Leopard install disk.
post #77 of 89
Quote:

Why would they have to be 64 bit for you? Do you run vast spreadsheets and have more than 4GB RAM in your machine?

Otherwise, it won't matter much.
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if iLife 10 and iWork 10 will not happen, but instead well get iLife X and iWork X. Besides the X making it sound cool it may be a pattern they are introducing to major apps (or suits) that have been converted to Cocoa, and by extension 64-bit. I think were likely to stick with iTunes 9 until they do the extensive rewriting that will make iTunes X Cocoa. Who knows how long these will take to rewrite. The new Mac holiday releases presumably coming next month? CES in January 2010? WWDC 2010? Later?

It's not important to get iLife and iWork 64 bit so quickly.

What is important is that they get the FCS to Cocoa and 64 bit.
post #79 of 89
Quote:

Why would they have to be 64 bit for you? Do you run vast spreadsheets and have more than 4GB RAM in your machine?

Otherwise, it won't matter much.

The point being, why upgrade to a product that will likely be updated next year with a version that takes advantage of the new SL features.
post #80 of 89
Quote:

The point being, why upgrade to a product that will likely be updated next year with a version that takes advantage of the new SL features.

It depends on the features of that product.

If you said that ver. 9 didn't add any features that you thought would add to your work, then that would make perfect sense.

But wanting to wait for 64 bits in products that likely won't show much advantage from their presence, doesn't make sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more