or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ballmer teases iPhone-toting employee; iTunes LP comic book
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ballmer teases iPhone-toting employee; iTunes LP comic book - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

OK, so the whole point of iTunes was buying single songs at 99 cents rather than having to buy an album with a whole bunch of crap we didn't want. Now it appears there's added bonus crap. So now we want the crap? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I still don't want the crap. Maybe someone could fill me in on Apple's official position on whether I want the crap or not.

Apple touted LP as a way to package extras with Albums. It is a nice thought but what if they have plans beyound that?

Some have suggested it is a back door into the E-Book world which is an interesting idea. Today I see that a comic has already been released in this format. It is like innovation has started before the format has had a week to breath. Further it has already sparked ideas in my mind.

So yeah more crap to Jack up the price of a song, that we don't need. The potential is there for much more though. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.


Dave
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yeah sort of like GM where they preferred their corporate heads in the sand ignoring the competition. Frankly you get no support from me in your position because it represents an attitude that has done a lot of damage to corporate America and their ability to compete. Once you discount the viability of a competitors product you pretty much doom your company.


Again this is exactly the attitude that has hurt corporate America and our ability to compete. Deny that the competition has a viable and compelling product and shoot the messager. In any event go ahead and maintain your attitude, see how it benefits you in the long term.

As a side note I don't see this as Balmer flying off the handle. On the contrary it looks like somebody that is quick thinking leveraging an opportunity that came his way in a funny way. Or as somebody else suggested the happening was staged.


Dave

Dave, honestly, do you believe what you've just said?

I'm not going to defend corporate America. But if you don't believe in the company that pays your wages, why should they believe in you? Maybe the individual is involved in the development of win mobile. Which begs the question, 'why aren't you making our products better?' If I was an employer and saw that I would wonder if the individual was passionate enough about our business to be a part of its future. I really doubt that employees that aren't passionate about the company they work for do a very good job.

I don't know if the guy will get fired, I hope not, or if the whole event was staged. But if it wasn't and that was a genuine expression of anger on Ballmer's part I suspect that if he isn't fired it'll probably affect his ability to get promoted or affect his salary increases in the future. It may not be right but that's the way it works.
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a problem, not with the individual, but with some corporate culture mindsets, which is often myopic and narrow. If they fire people for buying the "wrong" product with their own earnings, you're going to wither away your intelligence base even more, it results in intellectual incest and even more of a yes-man mindset. Does a company want people that are broad minded, or people that just buy the party line with their own earnings because that's who writes their checks? People buying the competitor's product should either be a clue either that something is wrong with your own product, or an indication that your workers aren't so henpecked as to blindly go along with the corporate line when maybe something else suits them better.

We have enough of this us-vs.-them, friend or foe, ally or traitor mindset, and frankly, I think this kind of attitude is poisonous.

But this was at a MS corporate function. What does it say about MS products when their employees show up at functions or in public with competitor's products? People aren't stupid. If MS won't eat their own cooking why should they? I certainly wouldn't.

That's why it was stupid for Ballmer to draw attention to it IMO.
post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple touted LP as a way to package extras with Albums. It is a nice thought but what if they have plans beyound that?

Some have suggested it is a back door into the E-Book world which is an interesting idea. Today I see that a comic has already been released in this format. It is like innovation has started before the format has had a week to breath. Further it has already sparked ideas in my mind.

So yeah more crap to Jack up the price of a song, that we don't need. The potential is there for much more though. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.


Dave

I see it as a spin on all the concessions Apple had to make to renew their download music licensing agreement and secure the mobile (over-the-air) music licensing agreement (which was not part of the original agreement). Apple didn't want tiered pricing, they didn't want all this other stuff, but now that they have to sell it ... Personally I think Apple hopes this dies an early death. Jobs fought for so long for 99 cents a song, I can't imagine they're too ecstatic about catering to the music industry's every idea for increasing their own revenue.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that SJ should personally call this kid and offer him a job!

You might be right.

Or, maybe he only makes the right decision half the time.

Of course, he may be smarter than I think. If he were fired and wasn't compensated appropriately, it would make one hell of a wrongful termination case.
post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

What's wrong with more choice, and who is this "we" you speak for?

I guess that was just Apple and myself who insisted on 99 cents a song (no exceptions) and albums have to be available as individual song downloads. This new push to sell "extras" is what the music industry insisted Apple allow in order to renew their licensing agreements (along with tiered pricing, which Jobs was dead-set against). Its a way to get AROUND Apple's pricing policy (which is now tiered thanks to said music industry). This is a single song being sold for $1.99 as an "Album" on iTunes, and a lot of people seem to be all for it. This is the music industry's idea of "how we can make some more money", not Apple's idea of "let's give the people what they want".
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Ballmer can be an idiot sometimes with his antics, but the employee stupid enough to show up at a MS corporate function with a competitors product gets no sympathy from me.

He's lucky if he's able to keep his job. Especially now when times are difficult and talented people are without jobs.

Jeez - that's pretty harsh man. I'm sure he's running windows at home
post #48 of 99
My Steve beats your Steve.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Why are people like you so harsh? You seem to WANT people to get fired for innocuous things that don't even come CLOSE to dismissable "offenses". Chill the heck out and try being nice for a change.

"Right arm! Farm out!"
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You may be right, but can you really imagine that an Apple employee who had the choice of using an iPod or a Zune would actually choose the latter on purpose? Steve might actually suggest a brain transplant to such an idiot.

Boom!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right- but imagine if SJ saw a Zune on his premises? "GET OUT NOW!!!!!"

No, I don't think Apple would hire him in the first place.
post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

I guess that was just Apple and myself who insisted on 99 cents a song (no exceptions) and albums have to be available as individual song downloads. This new push to sell "extras" is what the music industry insisted Apple allow in order to renew their licensing agreements (along with tiered pricing, which Jobs was dead-set against). Its a way to get AROUND Apple's pricing policy (which is now tiered thanks to said music industry). This is a single song being sold for $1.99 as an "Album" on iTunes, and a lot of people seem to be all for it. This is the music industry's idea of "how we can make some more money", not Apple's idea of "let's give the people what they want".

Now, that's even more wrong. The music industry is not supporting "iTunes LP" and they have not asked for it. Just the opposite; they are working on a competing "value-added" format on their own. People have been asking Apple for "extras" all the time: full liner notes, lyrics, videos, etc. and also for extras with movie downloads. Just because you do not want it, it does not mean they are not "giving the people what they want". If you do not comprehend that the "song" described in the article contains tons more content and value than a single song, it looks a bit like making your point is more important than facts? Hint: You can buy the same song without the extras for 99 cents in the same store. Big deal.
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a problem, not with the individual, but with some corporate culture mindsets, which is often myopic and narrow. If they fire people for buying the "wrong" product with their own earnings, they're going to wither away their intelligence base even more, it usually results in intellectual incest and even more of a yes-man mindset. Does a company want people that are broad minded, or people that just buy the party line with their own earnings because that's who writes their checks? People buying the competitor's product should either be a clue either that something is wrong with your own product, or an indication that your workers aren't so henpecked as to blindly go along with the corporate line when maybe something else suits them better.

We have enough of this us-vs.-them, friend or foe, ally or traitor mindset, and frankly, I think this kind of attitude is poisonous.

Agreed - I just don't see this as a big deal. I doubt Ballmer actually cares - sounds like he was just using it as a funny off-the-cuff way to rally the troops a little - get some boos.
post #54 of 99
Personally, if I did make a decent salary working for Microsoft, and I am going to be in a meeting with Ballmer, I'll bring a WinMo phone. Just me.
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

No, I don't think Apple would hire him in the first place.

Apple's hatred of MS's dominance is so great that I don't think SJ would hire anybody who works for MS either. So if I were this guy I wouldn't be waiting for a call from SJ.
post #56 of 99
The dumbfounded Microsoft employee was snapping a photo for Seadragon. So he should get fired for using Microsoft software?
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

But this was at a MS corporate function. What does it say about MS products when their employees show up at functions or in public with competitor's products? People aren't stupid. If MS won't eat their own cooking why should they? I certainly wouldn't.

That's why it was stupid for Ballmer to draw attention to it IMO.

Sure, but to suggest that it would have been acceptable to fire them? That's the nadir of corporate insecurity, IMO.

Not only that, Apple themselves used Windows Mobile based devices in their own stores. What did you way about eating your own cooking?
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sure, but to suggest that it would have been acceptable to fire them? That's the nadir of corporate insecurity, IMO.

Not only that, Apple themselves used Windows Mobile based devices in their own stores. What did you way about eating your own cooking?

I didn't say it would be acceptable to fire them. But in corporate America, and in Japan I suspect, its not uncommon. And to clear, I think it was poor judgement on both Ballmer and the employees part. The employee should be discreet about using a competitors product and Ballmer shouldn't have made a big display out of the iPhone. He only brought unnecessary attention to MS employees using iPhones.

And funny you bring up the Win Mobile devices and their use in Apple stores. Seems like we had a thread on that and that many felt it was important for Apple to develop a POS product so Apple wouldn't need the Win Mobile devices.

PS. Apple gave all their employees an iPhone in 07. While it was a generous act, I suspect it was also a subtle message to the employees. We going to eat our cooking.
post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Are you kidding? Jobs would probably laugh. I know I would - seeing a Zune anywhere would crack me up.

No kidding. Have you ever seen one out in the wild? I have not.
post #60 of 99
Ballmer did something similar with the MBA at MIX08. It seems he gets crazy when he sees Apple products and try to cover it with humor.
post #61 of 99
Steve B. -

Microsoft needs to embrace the iPhone and iPod rather than mock it and treat it like dirt.

Microsoft has failed with Zune and though they may try again with Zune II, the iPod and iTunes are the clear market leaders by a very large margin. Though MS has a large presence with Windows Mobile on other phones, consumers make the choice that is most desirable for them.

The App Store has been used 1.8 billion times so far to download software applications to the iPhone and iPod touch, many of which come with a price. There are at present, 65,000 applications in the App Store ... yet the largest software company on the planet authors just 2 of those (both free).

I suspect you will likely continue to act like a big baby and fake stomp an iPhone on stage from time to time, but that won't get people to buy, use, and love Microsoft products.

Joe User
post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Dave, honestly, do you believe what you've just said?

I'm not going to defend corporate America. But if you don't believe in the company that pays your wages, why should they believe in you? Maybe the individual is involved in the development of win mobile. Which begs the question, 'why aren't you making our products better?' If I was an employer and saw that I would wonder if the individual was passionate enough about our business to be a part of its future. I really doubt that employees that aren't passionate about the company they work for do a very good job.

I don't know if the guy will get fired, I hope not, or if the whole event was staged. But if it wasn't and that was a genuine expression of anger on Ballmer's part I suspect that if he isn't fired it'll probably affect his ability to get promoted or affect his salary increases in the future. It may not be right but that's the way it works.

really? seriously, you think it's all the little guys fault at MS that Microsoft cannot come out with a product that draws people to want to buy? Maybe the employee does have the passion, does have the creativity and it's MS management that says no you will do it this way when they come out with a non-stellar product in the end. Yahhh! let's blame the little guys instead of upper managment where all those decisions are made.

I would know because I work for a place that's exactly like that. It makes no difference how passionate, creative, or drive you have. They control all your decisions and force you to conform their way and believe me that is most of the problem at Microsoft today. They are too big to change and too big to listen to their own people.
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

really? seriously, you think it's all the little guys fault at MS that Microsoft cannot come out with a product that draws people to want to buy? Maybe the employee does have the passion, does have the creativity and it's MS management that says no you will do it this way when they come out with a non-stellar product in the end. Yahhh! let's blame the little guys instead of upper managment where all those decisions are made.

I would know because I work for a place that's exactly like that. It makes no difference how passionate, creative, or drive you have. They control all your decisions and force you to conform their way and believe me that is most of the problem at Microsoft today. They are too big to change and too big to listen to their own people.

If your that unhappy with your job why don't you work elsewhere? Sounds like neither you nor your current employer are benefiting.
post #64 of 99
Unfortunately, my iTunes 9 keeps getting an error with every attempt to download iTunes LP content. So good luck with that Tyrese.
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

After your algebra class I'll try to explain how things work in the big bad corporate world.

Actually you know nothing because that employee will not get fired, since it would make too much bad press. he will probably have an asterisk against his name in his HR file and promotions will be very hard or be transferred to similar level position, but very boring and cause him to leave.

Firing an employee, after high level news publicity is last thing to happen.

Your comment had nothing to do with big bad corporate world, but your own views, which I agree were not nice.
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

At least the MS employee who made the analogy got it right.

That was my exact reaction, the best line by far in the coverage.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #67 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

But this was at a MS corporate function. What does it say about MS products when their employees show up at functions or in public with competitor's products? People aren't stupid. If MS won't eat their own cooking why should they? I certainly wouldn't.

That's why it was stupid for Ballmer to draw attention to it IMO.

MS do not make mobile phones, their make the software for the phones, so Bald Eagle drawing attention to the guys iphone was very silly.
Especially since I know for a fact that a lot of MS senior employees use Blackberrys, that does not run MS software.

Steve Bald Eagle I agree was very stupid to focus on that employee's iphone, since it shows, he has a big resentment to Apple.
post #68 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Ballmer can be an idiot sometimes with his antics, but the employee stupid enough to show up at a MS corporate function with a competitors product gets no sympathy from me.

He's lucky if he's able to keep his job. Especially now when times are difficult and talented people are without jobs.

Microsoft's employees are mostly geeks and therefore a huge amount of them have iPhones. It's not uncommon at all for an employee to show up at an event with one.

This is just Balmer aping for the crowd as usual. It was probably a calculated PR move on his part as if not for this, no one would be talking about the event. As it is I've seen this on five sites already and there is probably a YouTube video as well.
post #69 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

No kidding. Have you ever seen one out in the wild? I have not.

LOL, I still haven't seen one in the wild. Saw one in the Zune "section" at Best Buy, though. They seemed to be collecting dust.
post #70 of 99
Redmond should go easy on the coke, it can really cloud judgment.

Try pepsi instead.
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I didn't say it would be acceptable to fire them. But in corporate America, and in Japan I suspect, its not uncommon. And to clear, I think it was poor judgement on both Ballmer and the employees part. The employee should be discreet about using a competitors product and Ballmer shouldn't have made a big display out of the iPhone. He only brought unnecessary attention to MS employees using iPhones.

And funny you bring up the Win Mobile devices and their use in Apple stores. Seems like we had a thread on that and that many felt it was important for Apple to develop a POS product so Apple wouldn't need the Win Mobile devices.

PS. Apple gave all their employees an iPhone in 07. While it was a generous act, I suspect it was also a subtle message to the employees. We going to eat our cooking.

What?!! "Balmer" and "unnecessary attention"?? Say it ain't so.
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1937 View Post

Another child like outburst. This is what we have come to expect from this guy. He certainly produced some good publicity for the iPhone out of MS's headquarters.

large letters tend to make the writer look very zune like cool .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

LOL, I still haven't seen one in the wild. Saw one in the Zune "section" at Best Buy, though. They seemed to be collecting dust.

Odd i se tons of iphones touches pre's BB's and the rest on the 1 train subway to the ferry
but i have never seen a zune .
Never.
kinda spooky
maybe there hot in milwalkie


peace
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #74 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

MS do not make mobile phones, their make the software for the phones, so Bald Eagle drawing attention to the guys iphone was very silly.
Especially since I know for a fact that a lot of MS senior employees use Blackberrys, that does not run MS software.

Steve Bald Eagle I agree was very stupid to focus on that employee's iphone, since it shows, he has a big resentment to Apple.

Balmer is so full of it he only tries to confuse the world with his fake stoopid dog tricks .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Your attitude is exactly why so many companies in this country are in such bad shape. Often suffering from the competition from smaller mom and pop operations.

Dave

Amen, brother. Amen.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a problem, not with the individual, but with some corporate culture mindsets, which is often myopic and narrow. If they fire people for buying the "wrong" product with their own earnings, they're going to wither away their intelligence base even more, it usually results in intellectual incest and even more of a yes-man mindset. Does a company want people that are broad minded, or people that just buy the party line with their own earnings because that's who writes their checks? People buying the competitor's product should either be a clue either that something is wrong with your own product, or an indication that your workers aren't so henpecked as to blindly go along with the corporate line when maybe something else suits them better.

We have enough of this us-vs.-them, friend or foe, ally or traitor mindset, and frankly, I think this kind of attitude is poisonous.


Well said.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Ballmer vs. a Microsoft employee's iPhone

At a private company meeting this week, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was reportedly giving one of his legendary energetic entrances when an employee mistakenly snapped a photo of him with an iPhone. According to Todd Bishop at TechFlash, the company leader made a lighthearted example of him.

"Ballmer grabbed the Apple device from the employee and made some funny remarks as everyone booed," he said. "Then he put it on the ground and pretended to stomp on it, before walking away."

Ballmer reportedly teased the employee again later during his presentation. Bishop noted that one Microsoft employee remarked on Twitter: "You just don't pick up the CEO of Chevy in a BMW."

While those in attendance said the moment was all in good fun, Ballmer has made his share of inflammatory remarks about the iPhone in the past. However, since the iPhone has proven successful for Apple, Ballmer has softened his remarks.

hasn't softened it too much.

then again this guy does work with Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Ballmer can be an idiot sometimes with his antics, but the employee stupid enough to show up at a MS corporate function with a competitors product gets no sympathy from me.

He's lucky if he's able to keep his job. Especially now when times are difficult and talented people are without jobs.

it should only be a problem if there is some clause in his employment contract that says that he can only use software and hardware created by his employer. Otherwise it is his right to use what he wants.

and without that clause there is no way that having an iphone, blackberry etc would pass as a legit reason to fire someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

OK, so the whole point of iTunes was buying single songs at 99 cents rather than having to buy an album with a whole bunch of crap we didn't want.

no the point of itunes was to be able to buy music without the added step of having to rip it to your computer to put it on your ipod. with the added bonus of many albums being cheaper than buying a CD, being able to get only the songs you really want and less clutter from not having stacks of CD around

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

Steve B. -

SNIP!

Joe User

You'll see Ballmer fake stepping on the iPhone. After the curtains ( if they have any ) close, Ballmer will ask thaat employee to lend him the iPhone and he'll be drooling over it and admiring it like crazy!

post #79 of 99
5 to 1 that the employee with the iPhone gets a poor performance review next time around and gets fired. I'd hate to work for someone like Ballmer.
post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Ballmer grabbed the Apple device from the employee and made some funny remarks as everyone booed"

"Ballmer grabbed the Apple device from the employee and made some funny remarks as everyone booed, while quickly making sure their iPhone was not visible to Ballmer"

Fixed!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ballmer teases iPhone-toting employee; iTunes LP comic book