or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Transfering iTunes from Windows to Mac help needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transfering iTunes from Windows to Mac help needed

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have a hard drive, from a friend, who used to use Windows. His Windows needs to be reloaded, but he decided to switch to an iMac.
How do I get his iTunes library from his old hard drive, which is now attached to my iMac via a usb cable, to his new iMac? Remember, it's from Windows to Mac.

It should be noted that since switching to a Mac, he's purchased new music on his iMac. So, will copying his iTunes library to the iMac, cause his to lose his purchases made recently?

I'm not sure if he's upgraded or not, but the old library is with iTunes 8.x. If he's upgraded to 9, will that cause a problem?

Any help would be appreciated!
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
post #2 of 8
so can you see all the music on the drive when its plugged into your mac?
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

so can you see all the music on the drive when its plugged into your mac?

I don't think so. I can just see the drive and it's structure of files and folders.
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
post #4 of 8
Huh? So you can see the files and folders but you don't know if there's music in them?
post #5 of 8
Plug the windows HDD into your friends new iMac... he can then browse the HDD and find the iTunes folder and all the music files (.mp3 and .acc) in it.
If iTunes (on the Mac) is set to automatically copy music into the iTunes folder and organize it, then... You can just drag and drop the music files from the Windows HDD onto iTunes. Then wait... wait... wait... while they copy over. If your friend used the SAME iTunes account name on his new Mac iTunes setup, then the copy-protected items from the Windows HDD should still play on the new Mac.
By importing them in this fashion, you won't have to worry about ver 8 / ver 9 compatibilities.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Huh? So you can see the files and folders but you don't know if there's music in them?

Ooops. I misread your question.
Sure. I can see the directory called "iTunes". Everything is in there.
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Plug the windows HDD into your friends new iMac... he can then browse the HDD and find the iTunes folder and all the music files (.mp3 and .acc) in it.
If iTunes (on the Mac) is set to automatically copy music into the iTunes folder and organize it, then... You can just drag and drop the music files from the Windows HDD onto iTunes. Then wait... wait... wait... while they copy over. If your friend used the SAME iTunes account name on his new Mac iTunes setup, then the copy-protected items from the Windows HDD should still play on the new Mac.
By importing them in this fashion, you won't have to worry about ver 8 / ver 9 compatibilities.

Thanks King - Normally that should work, but he's 5 hours from here. We're doing it thru the mail. I have his entire itunes directory burned to a DL DVD. Will that work if he just sticks the dvd in his iMac?
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Thanks King - Normally that should work, but he's 5 hours from here. We're doing it thru the mail. I have his entire itunes directory burned to a DL DVD. Will that work if he just sticks the dvd in his iMac?

Yes. (again... any copy-protected stuff will have to have the same appleID authorized on the new computer as was used to purchase them.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Transfering iTunes from Windows to Mac help needed