or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple discounts 160GB Apple TV to $229, nixes 40GB

Apple discounts 160GB Apple TV to $229, nixes 40GB - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Apple TV is a waste of money even with the price cut IMO. You can get an Acer Aspire Revo 160GB for less than the cheapest ATV and it's a full computer. Set it up with Windows Media Center and maybe a TV tuner with DVR software and it's far more functional than the ATV as well as cooler and cheaper.

All that I true, but like the iPod it's never been about features over the ability to use those features. but why stop there when you can built one that is better for less. If you want to connect to a TV a PC that you've built, configured, setup, or whatever then so be it. It'll always be cheaper than buying a dedicated device, but can you not see how a dedicated machine like an AppleTV or a TiVo offers options and simplifies the process that these homebrew solution that fit your needs may not fit the vast majority of people.
post #42 of 94
If Apple ever gets live content then it might replace cable, but I don't see the media giants handing over prime content to Apple without a huge fight.

I have to question the quoted $85/month cable cost. A full digital cable package costs $60 here and I think that's too much.
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If Apple ever gets live content then it might replace cable, but I don't see the media giants handing over prime content to Apple without a huge fight.

I have to question the quoted $85/month cable cost. A full digital cable package costs $60 here and I think that's too much.

once you factor in taxes, DVR, etc it's around $85. NYC that buys us almost 100 HD channels and close to 1000 total channels.if you have a child, it's more than worth the cost

Time Warner cable has a nice new feature on selected channels. if you start watching a show after it starts, you can press a button and it will automatically start over from the beggining.
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree. And even those *with* a DVR would agree I think, that the days of watching a show when it comes on TV and waiting for the next episode and so on are pretty much over.

I think if the price is right, that most people would rather look up a show on the internet and either buy on DVD, or stream it to their AppleTV, computer, or DVR device a season at a time. The only interest I see nowadays about when a show is going to be on, is usually for a premium content, season ender that's debuting for the first time.

I prefer watching my shows when they come on, commercials and all, rather than pay anything to get it. Streaming and watching on the computer is ok if it isn't available on TV. Maybe waiting is over for you but there are lots of people who do not have a problem with watching a show whenever it comes on. I watched a weekend of football without having to tinker with a computer, or waiting for a download and it was great.
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

All that I true, but like the iPod it's never been about features over the ability to use those features. but why stop there when you can built one that is better for less. If you want to connect to a TV a PC that you've built, configured, setup, or whatever then so be it. It'll always be cheaper than buying a dedicated device, but can you not see how a dedicated machine like an AppleTV or a TiVo offers options and simplifies the process that these homebrew solution that fit your needs may not fit the vast majority of people.

As if the vast majority of people have been buying the Apple TV.
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The live content may not come cheap. ESPN paid over a billion dollars a year for the monday night football.
post #47 of 94
I don't see the point in tweaking the hardware when, as Steve Jobs might put it, "you don't have a great product yet" - by which I'm referring to the available content.

Maybe Apple are just trying to keep the Apple TV in-play until they can get the deals they need to give it mass appeal, but the movie/tv distributors have a lot more in their favor than the music labels, so it could be a long wait.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

And if the movie industry want's to give Pirate Bay (and alike) a match they need to let iTunes free!

Sure, when monkeys fly outta my a#@.
post #49 of 94
Why does there need to be new hardware to support streaming? If I order a TV show now, it starts playing within seconds. It doesn't wait to be completely downloaded, so streaming is more than possible.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #50 of 94
I've already upgraded my aTV hard drive to 320 GB, and 270 GB of that is my CD collection RIPed as Apple Lossless files, so step one would be an upgrade to SATA so you can fit a bigger drive, or activating the USB port (the current work around are too geeky, and I consider myself a recovering geek). Wireless networking is OK for small files, but for an HD movie I often need to wait 10-20 minutes or more to start the film, even with 802.11n.
post #51 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Your point has merit but what about sports shows, and things that are on today? I spend most of my TV watching time watching current episodes of programs, and I think most people do as well. I wish they would give Apple TV DVR capabilities but we all know that's a pipe dream...

I don't understand why everyone wants a DVR on this thing. If it could work right, then maybe, but the lack of open cable cards has pretty much made any htpc a no-dvr proposition. A tv tuner card, from my understanding is just like the tv tuner in your tv in that it will only tune maybe the first 100 cable channels. All the HD channels are above 100 on my cable (not that many of them are actually hd) meaning you need a cable box.

I know that TIVO currently works with cable cards, but I'm pretty sure that is one of the few devices out there that has been approved for cable card. The point being that any hope of an "open" cable card being supported in a mac or pc for media center is gone. That leaves dvd/br, internet content, and over the air tv.

Maybe over the air hd would be worth recording if sports are your thing, but otherwise if you need a cable box anyway...

It seems like the AppleTV would not be a good dvr, but is very good for internet content, and might be good as a dvd/br player
post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The live content may not come cheap. ESPN paid over a billion dollars a year for the monday night football.

Maybe Apple should by 10 years worth, just for kicks...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #53 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

I've already upgraded my aTV hard drive to 320 GB, and 270 GB of that is my CD collection RIPed as Apple Lossless files, so step one would be an upgrade to SATA so you can fit a bigger drive, or activating the USB port (the current work around are too geeky, and I consider myself a recovering geek). Wireless networking is OK for small files, but for an HD movie I often need to wait 10-20 minutes or more to start the film, even with 802.11n.

Do you back up iTunes files in a different way when your collection gets that size? Do you maintain iTunes on an external drive rather than your computers to keep space available? And is Time Machine good enough for your backup?
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This will be a big Blu-ray holiday season.

Or not. I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #55 of 94
As a hobby, Apple can build them cheaply and not have any reason to update them. Since they are probably so cheap to make, they can have it hang around for awhile, even though it does lousy in sales. Typically, a lousy selling product would be dead in a year (G4 Cube), but since this is such a cheap device, they probably don't lose any money on it.

It will never have an optical drive, nor will it ever be a DVR. The AppleTV's sole purpose is to lure the customer into iTunes sales. Apple won't make money off cable subscriptions, DVD/Blu-Ray, or NetFlix streaming. Apple won't build a box to support that. They are in it to make money, nothing more.

Since iTunes will never have live TV, you won't see many people dumping Satellite or Cable anytime soon for an AppleTV box. Live Sports anyone? Not on iTunes or AppleTV.

It is a dying hobby and Apple should just put the AppleTV to death. I would rather buy a DVD or Blu-Ray disc for the better quality and better content than anything on iTunes. Never purchased any iTunes TV or Movie content, and don't ever plan to.
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Or not. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Clueless, obviously. Blu-Ray prices continue to fall and Amazon has great prices on Blu-Ray movies. Each year, Blu-Ray sales have increased over the previous year.
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Clueless, obviously. Blu-Ray prices continue to fall and Amazon has great prices on Blu-Ray movies. Each year, Blu-Ray sales have increased over the previous year.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that unemployment in the U.S. is approaching, and will probably reach, or surpass, by the holidays, 10%?

I wouldn't bet on a big holiday season for anything this year... except maybe sweaters.
post #58 of 94
Quote:

As a hobby, Apple can build them cheaply and not have any reason to update them. Since they are probably so cheap to make, they can have it hang around for awhile, even though it does lousy in sales. Typically, a lousy selling product would be dead in a year (G4 Cube), but since this is such a cheap device, they probably don't lose any money on it.

It will never have an optical drive, nor will it ever be a DVR. The AppleTV's sole purpose is to lure the customer into iTunes sales. Apple won't make money off cable subscriptions, DVD/Blu-Ray, or NetFlix streaming. Apple won't build a box to support that. They are in it to make money, nothing more.

Since iTunes will never have live TV, you won't see many people dumping Satellite or Cable anytime soon for an AppleTV box. Live Sports anyone? Not on iTunes or AppleTV.

It is a dying hobby and Apple should just put the AppleTV to death. I would rather buy a DVD or Blu-Ray disc for the better quality and better content than anything on iTunes. Never purchased any iTunes TV or Movie content, and don't ever plan to.

I generally agree with you right up til the end there. I think it is mainly being used by early adopters now, but I don't think it's dying. I don't think it's specifically designed to replace cable or live tv, although it could for some people. Most people can get live HD sports over-the-air for example, but if you are really a big sports fanatic, you would want directtv or cable for their sports packages. I think the main thing stopping me from cancelling my cable is the cost. Movie rentals are pretty much the same as cable on-demand prices, but season passes for tv shows are pretty expensive. No commercials is definitely worth something, but if you watch 3 or 4 tv shows regularly, it very quickly becomes more expensive than cable or satellite.

I may be missing the point, but I think once all the content deals are worked out, the quality is up to par, they get the pricing right, and big, network attached storage and backup at home is a no-brainer for the average user, then who would want to go to blockbuster to rent, best buy to buy, or even netflix for rentals, when you can get it immediately without leaving the couch.

For me at least, the jury is still out on whether the Apple TV will replace cable, but I would hate to see it die with so much potential, and I don't think it will die because digital distribution over the internet is the logical way things will and should go.
post #59 of 94
I wonder how many non-Mac users own an AppleTV. I bet this "hobby" only sells well to Apple's base.
post #60 of 94
I expect the next aTV to be ARM based for several reasons:

1) hacking will be limited to iphone hacks and not mac (kext, etc) hacks
2) iphone/ipod touch games/apps
3) ARM can drive 720p and is a cheaper solution

With the aTV as a target game/app platform the lack of DVR or DVD/Blu-Ray becomes far less acute for a set-top box.
post #61 of 94
Quote:

Perhaps you haven't noticed that unemployment in the U.S. is approaching, and will probably reach, or surpass, by the holidays, 10%?

I wouldn't bet on a big holiday season for anything this year... except maybe sweaters.

Blu-ray is one of the few items that has been projected to sell well this hoilday season.
post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The best investment and the one that makes the Apple TV look outright silly is a $289 Blu-Ray player that has built in Netflix streaming, VUDU streaming, YouTube streaming, and of course DVD backwards compatibility. For what little it does, $229 for the Apple TV is absolutely outrageous.

Wanna clue in the clueless (me) on that one!!!! I'm using a Mini with Boxee and Front row. But would like to see other options.
post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

my wife likes to watch AI and the dance shows live, not a week after they air. Football is also meant to be watched live.

Quote:

Yeah, I don't see Apple as being willing to offer anything like "virtual cable", as I bet that's what would be necessary to get live ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

I don't understand why everyone wants a DVR on this thing. If it could work right, then maybe, but the lack of open cable cards has pretty much made any htpc a no-dvr proposition. A tv tuner card, from my understanding is just like the tv tuner in your tv in that it will only tune maybe the first 100 cable channels. All the HD channels are above 100 on my cable (not that many of them are actually hd) meaning you need a cable box.

I know that TIVO currently works with cable cards, but I'm pretty sure that is one of the few devices out there that has been approved for cable card. The point being that any hope of an "open" cable card being supported in a mac or pc for media center is gone. That leaves dvd/br, internet content, and over the air tv.

There are a few CableCard tuners for HTPCs.

Quote:

I don't want to make light of a sad situation, but doesn't mean that the other 90% of the work force still has jobs? The downward spiral seems to be nearing bottom and some segments of the economy seem to be recovering. I know I've already spent more on Blu-Ray this year than the two years before.
post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

And if the movie industry want's to give Pirate Bay (and alike) a match they need to let iTunes free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Sure, when monkeys fly outta my a#@.

I wonder if tumme-totte is misunderstood here. I don't think he meant making iTunes free as in no charge, but let iTunes actually sell their media. The entertainment industries are a bit too mired in the old business models, they break up the rights to their movies by country, even if it's their subsidiaries, it's still a mess, but sometimes the local distribution rights to a given movie is actually owned by a competitor. iTunes has to make deals with subsidiaries in each country, making it very slow going. In all fairness, even distribution rights to independent movies are broken up, no one seems to be taking the initiative to offer worldwide rights for video downloads.
post #65 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

If Apple hadn't pulled out of MacWorld, I might have expected a new hardware configuration this January. I'm waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger and add another box to my TV table.

Apple now hosts their own event, this year it was in early February and I imagine Feb will be their new annual early year event/product conference date. That is when they may announce their "tablet" along with other products/updates. So, you you may see a new Apple TV in 4-4.5 months.
post #66 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Maybe next AppleTV would double as a game console? one can only hope

Indeed. Apple needs to provide more content globally, how else do they expect the Apple TV to make a dent?

you might be onto something with this thought. Since the big news these days is about how Apple missed the boat on the iPod updates and yet no announcement of the mystery rummored "gaming centric" tablet-pod-thingy. It seems as though the two might work very similarly. This tablet thingy might not be an HD screen but the two might share similar OS or something to make them work in tandem.

My predication for January is that the conference will largely be dominated by these two devices. I think the ATV will get an iPhone-like OS upgrade and this OS will be the same OS they use for the Tablet.
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

As an owner of an Apple TV (160gb, but the HD is always empty) I'd love to see it developed further, as it really feels like a half baked product. It desperately needs access to streaming video sites, such as the BBC's iPlayer here in the UK and all the others too of course.

More than that though Apple just need to get off their backsides and give a damn about the iTunes store outside the UK. The disparity in content between the US store and what we poor slobs in the rest of the world get is shocking. The US store feels like an HD paradise compared to the largely SD world of the UK store, and of course we get new shows and films are around double the cost and months, or YEARS late. It's just not a very compelling offering.

I'm in the US and I still feel the same way you do. Apple's content stinks, no matter where you are. For the $329 the TV cost, I thought content would be coming fast and furious. What a disappointment.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to subscriptions, Munster has predicted that a new Apple TV would also potentially include DVR capabilities.

yipee. no more having to buy season passes from itunes for my shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

More than that though Apple just need to get off their backsides and give a damn about the iTunes store outside the UK. The disparity in content between the US store and what we poor slobs in the rest of the world get is shocking.

keep in mind that the studios and networks are major players in that call and they aren't so keen on doing things quickly. heck they are the reason why there's DRM on movies and shows still. they won't let Apple carry the stuff anywhere without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I know that many say stop complaining about the price difference, but put yourselves in the UK or rest of the world's position. Apple is a company I love, I own many of their products, but I an so pissed of with reading a post about a new product or a refresh, I excitedly get my card out to order only to find that Apple is again expecting everyone outside of the USA to bend over and prepare for penetration, I'm so fed up with being royally shafted!

the reason many folks say stop complaining is that the folks doing the moaning don't seem to acknowledge that Apple is a US, not an international, company. as such, they have to deal with each countries individual rules and taxes for importing goods for sale. sometimes those rules prohibit a product, sometimes those rules require a tax which is legally passed on to the customers.

I used to work for Godiva Chocolates. the luxury import tax to ship our goods to Japan to sell in the Tokyo store was so high that the cost to the customer was 5-6 times more than they would pay to buy the max allowed by customs in their luggage when they were here in LA on business. so guess what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apple now hosts their own event, this year it was in early February and I imagine Feb will be their new annual early year event/product conference date. That is when they may announce their "tablet" along with other products/updates. So, you you may see a new Apple TV in 4-4.5 months.

or sooner, or later.

part of the issue with leaving MacWorld was that Apple wanted to set their own schedule. this past year they did a desktop refresh in Feb. they might wait until Feb again or do it in two weeks to set up the more family focused iMac as THE gift for the holidays. previously they did the laptop refresh in Oct, post Back to School. this time they did it in June, right as the school promo was heating up

they could even do whatever they want, as they did this past weekend, with no announcement. just slip it in when everyone was blinking

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The best investment and the one that makes the Apple TV look outright silly is a $289 Blu-Ray player that has built in Netflix streaming, VUDU streaming, YouTube streaming, and of course DVD backwards compatibility. For what little it does, $229 for the Apple TV is absolutely outrageous.

Thats a brand new netflix thing with streaming ancient movies and the ATV is old .Why compare 2 different devices and roku can't strem from my MBP so we do need both .

The ATV is a wonderful elegant gatekeeper for your apple based media content and itunes downloads
for rich people this is a great beautiful look and function.YES it is a crippled device because apple can't mess with the movie studio's and offer up all great features like the roku box has .

Yet all the new netflix/roku movies are looking pretty shabby lately maybe its the starz addition
BUT you can on roku/netflix go to amazon and buy movies> tv shows in hd and reg and you also have MLB . So roku in my house wins and so does my time warner hd dvr box . SADLY not many movies need blo ray i guess the block busters looe great but pretty in pink for 25 bucks seems foolish

i meant to post about 2 lines
sorry
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

no optical drive, no deal

a lot cheaper for me to buy shiny disks of kids' movies than store them on hard drive and worry about backing them up

It will never happen unless iPods start playing CD's.

philip
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

YES it is a crippled device because apple can't mess with the movie studio's and offer up all great features like the roku box has .

It is a crippled device because it only supports up to 5 Mbps 720p.
post #72 of 94
Quote:

The ATV is not cheap to make. The build price was published a while back. In fact, since IDE drives are going up it probably costs more, or about the same, to make now than when it came out. You make some good points but I'd have to disagree with your final paragraph. A DVD does not have better quality. Obviously Blu-Ray does, but I don't know if it will replace DVD's. Not clear one way or another. If Blu-Ray does become really popular then the streaming and digital folks will have to have a different game plan. Obviously, a popular Blu-Ray means the Apple TV approach needs to change drastically.

The Apple TV is pretty popular when compared to other streaming devices. That whole arena seems to be a mess and based for the most part on questionable sources. The companies involved are not well established. I wouldn't count the ATV out. It's a great device not for everyone obviously.

pmcd
post #73 of 94
Quote:

It is a crippled device because it only supports up to 5 Mbps 720p.

Big deal. Do you want 1080p streaming over the internet? I'm sure the ISP's would love that.

A 720p ATV video is pretty darned nice (and I have a player that does do the higher stuff and there really is no difference unless you are running some insanely large TV.

pmcd
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Big deal. Do you want 1080p streaming over the internet? I'm sure the ISP's would love that.

A 720p ATV video is pretty darned nice (and I have a player that does do the higher stuff and there really is no difference unless you are running some insanely large TV.
pmcd

Well, a big deal to that cuz some people say there is really no difference between DVD quality and 720p. Picture quality isn't important for everyone. Some people don't even mind watching their movie on a tiny iPhone.
post #75 of 94
UK price now £219.00 ... And here in Malaysia the price of 160GB dropped in half. FWIW I think the rest of the world will see the price cuts by now. The only thing is the f*ing lack of content... Why do you think there is so much piracy in Asia, for example? Where are our legal or streaming (even ad-based) content? The movie and tv studios still have their heads firmly up you-know-where when it comes to this hemisphere of the world. At least people like Valve and their Steam legal game downloads network get it... At least Apple and the developers "get it" when it comes to the App Store which does not have geographical restrictions.

Of course in Malaysia everything is run through a layer of censorship (language, nudity, even G-rated stuff might take a snip or too if there is highly "politically sensitive" stuff)... So... well... I dunno... whatever.

All Apple needs to do is add a major streaming/subscription service in addition to iTunes Store.

And MAKE IPOD TOUCH/ IPHONE GAMES PLAYABLE ON APPLE TV and it's a mini-console. I mean, the way iPod touch and iPhone 3GS hardware is going, a little tweak and while it's nowhere near hi-def, you could get Wii-quality gaming on Apple TV. Just another tweak in regards to some sort of appropriate controller.

Or, the Apple TV will hobble along (albeit gracefully?) as it always has.

</rambling>

Edit: DVR would be nice but Apple would probably never do it. Then again, there *is* an FM tuner on an iPod nano after, oh, 8 years of the iPod? So... who knows
post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Thats a brand new netflix thing with streaming ancient movies and the ATV is old .Why compare 2 different devices and roku can't strem from my MBP so we do need both .

The ATV is a wonderful elegant gatekeeper for your apple based media content and itunes downloads
for rich people this is a great beautiful look and function.YES it is a crippled device because apple can't mess with the movie studio's and offer up all great features like the roku box has .

Yet all the new netflix/roku movies are looking pretty shabby lately maybe its the starz addition
BUT you can on roku/netflix go to amazon and buy movies> tv shows in hd and reg and you also have MLB . So roku in my house wins and so does my time warner hd dvr box . SADLY not many movies need blo ray i guess the block busters looe great but pretty in pink for 25 bucks seems foolish

i meant to post about 2 lines
sorry

I'll write 2 lines
F*** BluRay and the price for it
post #77 of 94
Quote:

Well, a big deal to that cuz some people say there is really no difference between DVD quality and 720p. Picture quality isn't important for everyone. Some people don't even mind watching their movie on a tiny iPhone.

The ATV's 720p picture quality is very good. There aren't exactly a whole lot of 1080p sources around. So I assume you are claiming that the high profile 720p files are significantly better? I just disagree. I do admit that 1080p produces a difference (under certain conditions - size, distance from TV, type of movie), but that's not in the cards for streaming.

I can see a difference between 480p and 720p. The ATv plays both.

philip
post #78 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'll write 2 lines
F*** BluRay and the price for it

Why? Because it is cheaper than an Apple TV?
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

i'll write 2 lines
f*** bluray and the price for it

a g r e e d !
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't want to make light of a sad situation, but doesn't mean that the other 90% of the work force still has jobs? The downward spiral seems to be nearing bottom and some segments of the economy seem to be recovering.

Well, yes, it does mean that 90% of the "work force" still has jobs, but it also means that probably somewhere around 25-30% of the adult population is without jobs (since only those who "report" that they are looking for work are included in the official number) and a high percentage of those with jobs are nervous about whether they will keep them. Re the "downward spiral" and "recovery", notwithstanding those hopes, unemployment is expected to continue to rise for some months.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple discounts 160GB Apple TV to $229, nixes 40GB