or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mac sales grow 7% as Apple projected to sell 2.8M in quarter

Mac sales grow 7% as Apple projected to sell 2.8M in quarter

post #1 of 33
Based on new sales figures from NPD Market Research, Apple is expected to slightly exceed Wall Street's consensus on Mac sales for the September quarter.

In a new note to investors, Gene Munster, senior research analyst with PiperJaffray, said that NPD data for the July and August shows Mac sales up 7 percent year-over-year. This as investors are looking for about a 5 percent improvement.

If the trends shown in the NPD numbers hold, Apple would sell between 2.75 million and 2.8 million Macs in the quarter, about even with Wall Street consensus of 2.75 million. But Munster predicts the numbers will skew higher than expected.

Not faring as well, however, are iPods. Year-over-year sales during July and August were down 16 percent. Munster estimates that Apple will sell between 9.5 million and 10.5 million iPods for the quarter, while the Street is expecting about 10 million.

However, Apple is projected to improve on both Mac and iPod numbers as the quarter comes to a close. The iPod boost in particular will come thanks to new products -- namely, a new iPod nano that debuted at last week's event.

"We are expecting reacceleration in the final month of the quarter given the new iPod nanos that shipped on 9/9," Munster said. "Also, iPod international is growing faster than domestic. In other words, we believe the actual reported numbers for iPod will be slightly better than NPD would suggest."

International growth is also faster for the Mac, as well, which leads Munster to believe that the Mac numbers will also exceed what is implied by NPD retail data. PiperJaffray has maintained a price target of $186 for AAPL stock, and has reiterated its overweight rating.

In its June quarter, Apple sold 2.6 million Macs and 5.2 million iPhones, bringing its year-over-year profits up 15 percent. The company had a record non-holiday quarter, with sales of $8.34 billion.

Last week, Apple announced it has sold over 30 million iPhones to date. Though that number was likely rounded off for the company's media event, it means the hardware maker likely sold over 3.6 million devices so far in the quarter. Munster has predicted that Apple will sell 7 million phones through September.
post #2 of 33
2.8 million in mac sales ??
Wow not so long ago 900,000 in sales was grandslam material A

Something is going on with apple . A sea change in the whole overall APPLE universe..

In 3 yrs we will look back and marvel at how every missed the APPLE revolution .

WE on going from sales in millions to sales in tens of millions
across the product line .

Go apple !

Time for the NANO phone to be invented
odd thoughts from 47th st nyc
peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #3 of 33
Unbelievable strategy execution, in a tough economic environment!
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Something is going on with apple . A sea change in the whole overall APPLE universe..

In 3 yrs we will look back and marvel at how every missed the APPLE revolution .

Go apple !

peace

the apple revolution has been going on for a while, just has taken, and is taking, time. much time..
post #5 of 33
I just got a Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro the week before last. 8GB DRAM, 500GB@7200 RPM, and Antiglare. Of all my Macs over the years, it is by far the finest, most well made Mac I've ever owned. Glad to add to the bottom line.

Now I just have to get used to CDs and DVDs ejecting from the side instead of the front. I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!
post #6 of 33
Quote:

Go apple !

peace

Did you check out the new Nano yet?
post #7 of 33
No surprise here.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

the apple revolution has been going on for a while, just has taken, and is taking, time. much time..

Heh! Apple is like the worm within the apple.

All you see for a long time is that little hole it chewed to get in, but after a while, the entire apple collapses as the worm eats its way through.

The PC industry is like that apple. We don't see much happening, but then we look closer, and Apple is chewing its way through
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh! Apple is like the worm within the apple.

All you see for a long time is that little hole it chewed to get in, but after a while, the entire apple collapses as the worm eats its way through.

The PC industry is like that apple. We don't see much happening, but then we look closer, and Apple is chewing its way through

Not much happening in the PC industry?
Haven't you seen all the articles about October 22nd?
post #10 of 33
I'm going to one of the Apple stores with my daughter who is home for a week before she starts her fall semester in England, to buy a 15" Mac Pro for her. At first, she though she would need a 24" iMac for her photographic work there, as she's a photo major, but now she knows that the first year is a Foundation year, so she can get along with a laptop. Too bad we'll be buying one a couple of months before the new series comes out (or at least I think it will be later this year).
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not much happening in the PC industry?
Haven't you seen all the articles about October 22nd?

I'm talking about Apple's increasing marketshare, and its now 91% sales in the $1,000 and above category, up from 66% last year.
post #12 of 33
All of this success has been enraging the "Apple SUCKS" crowd for years now. When the inevitable pause in growth finally does happen at some point in the future we will see the knives come out like never before. In the meantime, however, I enjoy watching the egg drip on the faces of all the marketing "experts" here and on other forums that constantly spout off about how they know how to run Apple better then the current exectutive team, about how they know what products and features Apple should be releasing to be successful. It's hilarious, really.
post #13 of 33
I sold my 3yo 2.0 GHz 15" MBP (for $850 I might add....try to get that for a 3yo Dell) to buy a new 2.8 GHz 17" MBP. I've been do web design and I'm doing more photography. I needed the bigger display for working on site and when I tether the camera or edit images in the field.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I just got a Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro the week before last. 8GB DRAM, 500GB@7200 RPM, and Antiglare. Of all my Macs over the years, it is by far the finest, most well made Mac I've ever owned. Glad to add to the bottom line.

Now I just have to get used to CDs and DVDs ejecting from the side instead of the front. I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!

Apple Stores = brilliant concept, executed during the last downturn/tech bubble.

Gotta give Apple credit here, expanding during economic contractions.

Stock has more than DOUBLED from 6 months ago...

Beatles CDs - yeah, right? Who needs Beatles in the iTunes Store when you can just rip the ones you have? p.s. great machine you got there, serious dough has just been dropped.
post #15 of 33
Quote:

I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!

I did mine this weekend. 29 discs takes awhile, but it's worth it.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Apple Stores = brilliant concept, executed during the last downturn/tech bubble.

Gotta give Apple credit here, expanding during economic contractions.

I was at the Pentagon City Apple store a few weeks ago to buy my first iPhone. The store is a wonder. It's small, smaller than an old-school Radio Shack store, but it was packed with people and basically minting money. The orange-t-shirted "consierge" intercepted people when they came in and helped direct them to the right place/person ("You're getting a phone, ok wait here one second, while I call someone over. Laptop? That person on there will help you. [into mic]: Kate, I have someone one coming to see you about a MacBook.") It was very, very impressive.

When Apple started the store people "what does Apple know about retail?" When they introduced the iPod: "what does Apple know about consumer electronics?" When they rolled out the iPhone: "what does a computer company know about about mobile phones?" Apple is _not_ a computer company. It is company that has incredible management and executes exceptionally well. That is not the result of Steve Jobs the pitchman who can sell ice to Eskimos. It's is Steve Jobs the inspirational CEO. Case in point: name another movie studio that has the literally perfect record of critically acclaimed box office hits that Pixar has. It's not a coincidence.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

All of this success has been enraging the "Apple SUCKS" crowd for years now. When the inevitable pause in growth finally does happen at some point in the future we will see the knives come out like never before. In the meantime, however, I enjoy watching the egg drip on the faces of all the marketing "experts" here and on other forums that constantly spout off about how they know how to run Apple better then the current exectutive team, about how they know what products and features Apple should be releasing to be successful. It's hilarious, really.

Quoted for truth.

In my experience I'm watching person after person from the "Apple sucks" crowd turn into the "They're actually alright, I think I'll buy a touch... or a MacBook Pro" crowd. the "conversion" rate is a number that is just as mind blowing as an Apple quarterly statement.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

YES But finally the great un washed masses are ready to go apple in a big way .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #19 of 33
Quote:

Lossless ??? You still lose %50 try AIFF for exact FILES FROM CD TO DESKTOP > TO ITUNES .

I just played Abbey ROAD and i feel like i am hearing it for the first time.. excellent ..

mono or stereo ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #20 of 33
Quote:

I'm talking about Apple's increasing marketshare, and its now 91% sales in the $1,000 and above category, up from 66% last year.

Those numbers are so impressive that I think Apple will have to rely on increased sales in other countries for growth and/or, most likely, have to further diversify the Mac line more. Now that the 13" is a MBP, perhaps we'll see a revamped MacBook, sans Pro, line that is at least 13" and 15.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Did you check out the new Nano yet?

Oddly somehow i just lost my old one so yes i will be buying a nano soon
brushed silver

but the 64 g itouch looms large
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Stock has more than DOUBLED from 6 months ago...

But as long-term investors know, still down nearly 15% from its high at the end of 2007. When AAPL was at the low point earlier this year, this represented a massive 60% decline from its high. All considered, this past 18 months has been a pretty painful ride for AAPL investors.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ha! What I love about this statement is how easily it translated into the current political environment between the Left and the Right, here in America.
post #24 of 33
Quote:

AntiGlare! I'm with you there!

Is Snow Leopard on the original install disks, or is it a upgrade disk taped to the outside of the box?

Congrats.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #25 of 33
Quote:

Lossless ??? You still lose %50 try AIFF for exact FILES FROM CD TO DESKTOP > TO ITUNES .

I just played Abbey ROAD and i feel like i am hearing it for the first time.. excellent ..

mono or stereo ??

You don't lose anything. The songs are decompressed when played.

This is like a ZIP or Stuffit file.

How do you think you can compress programs and still get them to work?
post #26 of 33
Quote:

You don't lose anything. The songs are decompressed when played.

This is like a ZIP or Stuffit file.

How do you think you can compress programs and still get them to work?

welcome on your grand return
and my friend out of scores pf dozens of posts i have only seen you WRONG TWICE
First the iphone is a computer >>you said it was not
but steve jobs just said that the iphone is a computer
>>>>>>
and now with lossless
i don't know zip files or compressed SW coming to full life . like comparing your jeans with a freeze dried beef wellinton
but i do know that when you drag a music/audio file on your desk top it is EXACTLY WHAT was on the CD. and then if you happen to import said audio music file in A I F F into your itunes player it is very very close to exactly what was on the cd .

changing the encoding or format in any way with a living medium like auido/musical changes the sound , it Changes the format .
Could I Hear the changes ??? i dunno maybe not .
But i do know that the 17 minute > I GO HOME > Woodstock < Ten Years After> ALVIN LEE sounds fantastic on vinyl and pretty good on cd with good head phones . But i don't see compressingthis 17 minutes of heated speeded up live guitar rendition and then un compressing WILL not affect this stella performance

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #27 of 33
Quote:

>>>>>>
and now with lossless
i don't know zip files or compressed SW coming to full life . like comparing your jeans with a freeze dried beef wellinton
but i do know that when you drag a music/audio file on your desk top it is EXACTLY WHAT was on the CD. and then if you happen to import said audio music file in A I F F into your itunes player it is very very close to exactly what was on the cd .

changing the encoding or format in any way with a living medium like auido/musical changes the sound , it Changes the format .
But i do know that the 17 minute > I GO HOME > Woodstock < Ten Years After> ALVIN LEE sounds fantastic on vinyl and pretty good on cd with good head phones . But i don't see compressingthis 17 minutes of heated speeded up live guitar rendition and then un compressing WILL not affect this stella performance

There are only two kinds of data compression. Lossy data compression is only relevant with audio and visual rendered files as our eyes and ears can’t determine all the data so it’s just not a requirement to create a useful file. Lossy data compression does not lose any of the data to create the compressed file.

As Melgross pointed out, it’s like Zipped files. You can’t have a program that is compressed that uncompresses to a different size or structure. It has to be the same to work. Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is exactly that. It’s a compression format designed specifically to be as efficient as possible in compressing the data that can then be recreated EXACTLY as it was before the compression.

With audio lossy codecs (that are not VBR) there is a chosen bit rate before the compression. For 320kbps MP3 there are literally 320,000 bits per second. You can divide that by the song length and figure out the duration of the song, regardless of the audio type. That is pretty simple math. On the other hand, Lossless is less exacting. If you take two audio files that are the exact same length, but one is a complex song and the other spoken word with pauses in speech you’ll find that the latter is a smaller file than the former despite being the same duration. This is better illustrated with an image file.

My attempt at an example: If I had a picture of a black square 64px x 64px that was uncompressed it would be read as “pixel 1= black, pixel 2 = black, … pixel 4096 = black”, but with a lossless PNG that pic would be read as “pixel 1 to 4096 = black”. It’s the same thing for lossless audio except that it’s a lot harder to create a visual example. At least it didn’t involve cars.

So, if you want to back up your Beatles you can get the same EXACT quality with Apple Lossless or any other lossless codec, while also saving space on your HDD.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #28 of 33
Quote:

>>>>>>
and now with lossless

I said that Apple said that it was not a computer. That was back before the app store.

Bruce, lossless is exactly that. It's lossless. When the file is decompressed, it's EXACTLY the same file. No difference. The decompression software checks this to make sure. It's called a checksum. It works. The file is decompressed when it is played but you will see it as compressed after it is played.

A recorded file is not "living". It's just a collection of 1's and 0's.

It really does work. Even my high end audio friends who understand little, understand this.
post #29 of 33
Quote:

I said that Apple said that it was not a computer. That was back before the app store.

Bruce, lossless is exactly that. It's lossless. When the file is decompressed, it's EXACTLY the same file. No difference. The decompression software checks this to make sure. It's called a checksum. It works. The file is decompressed when it is played but you will see it as compressed after it is played.

A recorded file is not "living". It's just a collection of 1's and 0's.

It really does work. Even my high end audio friends who understand little, understand this.

Well may be i am off here.
MAYBE not i will take a day or two and compare AIFF and LOSELESS and see whats what ,

to be continued......

ps lossless still implies some loss ; you just lose less of it >> i think
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #30 of 33
Quote:

ps lossless still implies some loss ; you just lose less of it >> i think

I see what youre getting at but the use of less is suffix which means that that is means -less" is defined as without", or in other words lossless means without loss.
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see what youre getting at but the use of less is suffix which means that that is means -less" is defined as without", or in other words lossless means without loss.

Thank you
so you 2 dude feel that lossless sound exactly the same as aiff . .

I will accept and re think what i say about these formats . ok .

But a final comment i would like to make IS >> can you take a music file covert to lossless and then reconvert to the original file . ?
{{{{ file > lossless >file }}}}

My next mission in life is ti find the missing minutes from the song << i go home >> TYA ALVIN LEE at WOODSTOCK .

PEACE
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #32 of 33
Quote:

Thank you
so you 2 dude feel that lossless sound exactly the same as aiff . .

I will accept and re think what i say about these formats . ok .

But a final comment i would like to make IS >> can you take a music file covert to lossless and then reconvert to the original file . ?
{{{{ file > lossless >file }}}}

My next mission in life is ti find the missing minutes from the song << i go home >> TYA ALVIN LEE at WOODSTOCK .

PEACE

Youve DLed programs that were compressed off the internet. Apps come with .ZIP, .DMG, .TAR. etc extensions. These are compressed lossless files. When they are uncompressed they are the exact same as before, otherwise they wouldnt work. I left you links to Lossy and Lossless, above. Read them, they explain in detail the way they work.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Youve DLed programs that were compressed off the internet. Apps come with .ZIP, .DMG, .TAR. etc extensions. These are compressed lossless files. When they are uncompressed they are the exact same as before, otherwise they wouldnt work. I left you links to Lossy and Lossless, above. Read them, they explain in detail the way they work.

Thank you my buddy for the timely links /info .
Yes i understand zip DL and expanding compressed files
i have 150 live pink floyd booties shows all from zip or wav or win max or on and on. I just have a hard time getting my head around ones/zero's being flattened and then expanded .For a flash app yes but for a love song that may make me swoon its seems almost unreal what we can doto it and keep it true to its intended form . I may be a luddite .

i will read the links tonight .

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mac sales grow 7% as Apple projected to sell 2.8M in quarter