or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel's top attorney to take reins of Apple's legal team
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel's top attorney to take reins of Apple's legal team

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Announced as Apple's new general counsel and senior vice president Tuesday, Bruce Sewell held the same title when he previously worked with Intel Corporation.

Sewell will work in legal and government affairs for Apple and report directly to company co-founder Steve Jobs. The position is currently held by Daniel Cooperman, who has been with Apple for two years. Cooperman, who was previously general counsel and secretary at Oracle Corporation, is retiring at the end of September.

"We are thrilled to have Bruce join our executive team, and wish Dan a very happy retirement," Jobs said. "With Bruce’s extensive experience in litigation, securities and intellectual property, we expect this to be a seamless transition."

At Oracle, Cooperman was responsible for the software maker's legal department, including worldwide legal policies, corporate governance, securities compliance, mergers and acquisitions, commercial licensing, intellectual property, employment law, litigation, patent law and legal support for the firm's various business units.

About a year ago, Cooperman was issued a grant for 60,000 shares worth approximately $6,315,600. That was among more than $122 million in restricted stock-based compensation provided to members of the company's executive team, according to regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

At Intel, Sewell has been responsible for leading all of Intel’s legal, corporate affairs and corporate social responsibility programs, managing attorneys and policy professionals located in over 30 countries around the world. He joined Intel in 1995 as a senior attorney assigned to counsel various business groups in areas such as antitrust compliance, licensing and intellectual property. In 2001, Sewell was promoted to vice president and deputy general counsel, managing Intel’s litigation portfolio, and handled corporate transactions including M&A activities.

Prior to joining Intel, he was a partner in the litigation firm of Brown and Bain PC. Sewell was admitted to the California Bar in 1986 and to the Washington D.C. Bar in 1987. He received his J.D. from George Washington University in 1986, and a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Lancaster, in the United Kingdom, in 1979.

Bruce Sewell will be Apple's new top lawyer. Photo credit: Intel.
post #2 of 22
Hopefully he'll do something to improve the 59% of Apple's facilities that overwork their sweatshop workers in excess of Chinese law _or_ the 41% of Apple's facilities that underpay their workers by third world Chinese standards.

(Apple's figures)

He's done some good work at Intel:

http://www.huliq.com/40299/intel-exp...ves-in-nigeria

* Source: http://images.apple.com/supplierresp...ess_Report.pdf
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Daniel Cooperman, who has been with Apple for two years.

About a year ago, Cooperman was issued a grant for 60,000 shares worth approximately $6,315,600.

So for a year's effort this guy is compensated over $6 million, not including his salary.

How can anybody defend this when the people assembling these devices are virtually slaves?
post #4 of 22
I'll save the sermon on how free markets work for another time.

For now I'll just say that if Sewell can once and for all put an end to this Psystar nonsense, he'll have earned whatever they pay him in my book.
post #5 of 22
I remember the good ole days when Apple made hardware announcements on Tuesdays.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #6 of 22
ARGH!! THE WINTEL ALLIANCE HAS TAKEN OVER APPLE!!!

The world has truly ended. First their processors, then their "Trusted computing/DRM/privacy invading" schemed EFI and now Apple's very own legal department.

Soon Intel will be buying Apple, lock stock and barrel.

Expect no more innovation and rebellion against the status quo, the DARK SIDE HAS WON!


Darth Vader: "Luke, join me and together we will defeat the emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son"

Luke: "Ok, sounds cool!"



Is Steve Jobs just slowly easing Apple into Intel's ultimate control like he did with Disney/Pixar?

Is the future of Apple sales going to be that bleak due to a prolonged recession that he's considering selling the company now that the goings good?


Is it that the board is thinking that Steve won't be around much longer and they can't find a replacement as good as he, so they are not going through another "dark years" of loser CEO's and preparing Apple for a purchase or merger with Intel who is sick and tired of Microsoft?


"Intel Inside" stickers on the outside of every Mac? ARGH!!!


Oh, my head is hurting...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I remember the good ole days when Apple made hardware announcements on Tuesdays.

You mean like last week?
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

ARGH!! THE WINTEL ALLIANCE HAS TAKEN OVER APPLE!!!

The world has truly ended. First their processors, then their "Trusted computing/DRM/privacy invading" schemed EFI and now Apple's very own legal department.

Soon Intel will be buying Apple, lock stock and barrel.

Expect no more innovation and rebellion against the status quo, the DARK SIDE HAS WON!


Darth Vader: "Luke, join me and together we will defeat the emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son"

Luke: "Ok, sounds cool!"



Is Steve Jobs just slowly easing Apple into Intel's ultimate control like he did with Disney/Pixar?

Is the future of Apple sales going to be that bleak due to a prolonged recession that he's considering selling the company now that the goings good?


Is it that the board is thinking that Steve won't be around much longer and they can't find a replacement as good as he, so they are not going through another "dark years" of loser CEO's and preparing Apple for a purchase or merger with Intel who is sick and tired of Microsoft?


"Intel Inside" stickers on the outside of every Mac? ARGH!!!


Oh, my head is hurting...

Sounds like someone hit you with a shovel.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

You mean like last week?

09/09/09 was Wednesday last time I looked at a calendar
iPad Wi-Fi / 16 GB
iPhone 4G / Black / 16 GB
iPod Nano 4G, 8GB, (Product) Red (For Nike+)
Unibody MacBook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD (Early 09)
Reply
iPad Wi-Fi / 16 GB
iPhone 4G / Black / 16 GB
iPod Nano 4G, 8GB, (Product) Red (For Nike+)
Unibody MacBook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD (Early 09)
Reply
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Hopefully he'll do something to improve the 59% of Apple's facilities that overwork their sweatshop workers in excess of Chinese law _or_ the 41% of Apple's facilities that underpay their workers by third world Chinese standards.

(Apple's figures)

He's done some good work at Intel:

http://www.huliq.com/40299/intel-exp...ves-in-nigeria

* Source: http://images.apple.com/supplierresp...ess_Report.pdf



The "rule of law" is a joke in China because of the excess of a starving population and the resulting cheapness of human life.

Eventually China's 'one child rule' will help bring down the population and the quality of life will improve.

Apple is in China because they want to capitalize on that HUGE market. Most of Apple's devices are assembled by machine anyway.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

First their processors, then their "Trusted computing/DRM/privacy invading" schemed EFI

Ummm. Macs don't have a TPM in them*. They don't support trusted computing at all.

The iPhone is a true trusted computing platform likely, but it is a Samsung designed processor that uses an ARM core. It doesn't have any components from Intel, nor was Intel involved in the design. iPhone hardware doesn't use the standards from the Trusted Computing Group.

*The Core Duo (2006) Macs did have a TPM, but the OS contained no drivers for it so it sat idle. It was no longer installed in later Macs.

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter7/tpmdrmmyth/
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Hopefully he'll do something to improve the 59% of Apple's facilities that overwork their sweatshop workers in excess of Chinese law _or_ the 41% of Apple's facilities that underpay their workers by third world Chinese standards.

(Apple's figures)

He's done some good work at Intel:

http://www.huliq.com/40299/intel-exp...ves-in-nigeria

* Source: http://images.apple.com/supplierresp...ess_Report.pdf

I am not disagreeing entirely but here is a thought for you. Perhaps, if this is such an issue to you, before you get too into the details of one company, in this case Apple, doing business (and how they do it) with China you should advocate that the USA should (after paying back all we owe China) stop borrowing from China. As i say I do not disagree with some of the thinking but it's not too realistic at this moment I suspect!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Hopefully he'll do something to improve the 59% of Apple's facilities that overwork their sweatshop workers in excess of Chinese law _or_ the 41% of Apple's facilities that underpay their workers by third world Chinese standards.

(Apple's figures)

He's done some good work at Intel:

http://www.huliq.com/40299/intel-exp...ves-in-nigeria

* Source: http://images.apple.com/supplierresp...ess_Report.pdf

China quite literally owns the United States of America at this point. Good luck with your crusade. You're going to need it.
post #14 of 22
Instead of freaking out about intel people taking over consider that perhaps one day Apple may buy intel. Apples market cap is currently 50 billion larger then intel. If you are going to go hysterical over nothing might as well try to think positive.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15inchbrich View Post

09/09/09 was Wednesday last time I looked at a calendar

Whoops... clearly my calendar needs a check-up. Or my brain does.

You'd think I would remember the date better. I mean, wasn't that the date that some band few people have heard of made some sort of insignificant release?
post #16 of 22
I give Sewell less than a year at Apple........... He better get rid of CD Baby content if he is going to stay longer than a year. That's my prediction.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Ummm. Macs don't have a TPM in them*. They don't support trusted computing at all.

TPM was created by Intel and it was a separate chip, installed in early Intel Mac's. Now that the TPM chip is gone doesn't mean TPM is gone, Intel makes the processors too so TPM could have been incorporated into the new processors, or a better more covert method found to essentially do the same thing. Intel is incorporating graphics into their processors, like everything and anything else.

One of the key components of "Trusted Computing" is EFI, which is a powerful OS like firmware that can read hard drives, contact the internet, verify software/media licenses and all sorts of other things (like verify OS to hardware calls), before and without the OS even loading or knowing about it.

Apple installs a EFI partition on your hard drive, if you use OS X. Nothing is there right now according to people involved, but the framework is there for the future, once the components of Trusted Computing gains enough acceptance. (People used to having control of their machines are dying off and people who are accepting to control are buying new machines with the invasive technology)

In response to the privacy outcry, OS makers included Filevault and Bitlocker (overheating laptops in the process to discourage it's widespread use), but still the firmware has the ability to monitor your machine if the software is installed there by developers or malicious persons/sites.

In fact, somebody patented the idea of anti-virus software running in EFI that's how powerful it is.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6907524.html

To explore the EFI environment, visit:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensi...ware_Interface
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Instead of freaking out about intel people taking over consider that perhaps one day Apple may buy intel. Apples market cap is currently 50 billion larger then intel. If you are going to go hysterical over nothing might as well try to think positive.


That would be the good triumphing over the evil for sure.


I still think of Apple as my little computer company that could.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


Is Steve Jobs just slowly easing Apple into Intel's ultimate control like he did with Disney/Pixar?

Is the future of Apple sales going to be that bleak due to a prolonged recession that he's considering selling the company now that the goings good?

Its hardly a bad think that happened with Disney/Pixar. Disney buys Pixar, Steve got a place on the board of arguably the biggest entertainment company there is and the largest stock holder. John Lasseter from Pixar is in charge of all Disney animation as well as Pixar, and is chief creative officer at Walt Disney Imagineering, overseeing and approving Disney theme park attractions worldwide. And pixar still remains pretty much as separate company without being restructured and sucked into Disney.

I don't see it happening, but if Steve pulled off a similar kind of deal with intel, keeping Apple intact but putting key people in a position of power at Intel I would be quite interested to see what Intel would do.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeVivi View Post

Its hardly a bad think that happened with Disney/Pixar. Disney buys Pixar, Steve got a place on the board of arguably the biggest entertainment company there is and the largest stock holder. John Lasseter from Pixar is in charge of all Disney animation as well as Pixar, and is chief creative officer at Walt Disney Imagineering, overseeing and approving Disney theme park attractions worldwide. And pixar still remains pretty much as separate company without being restructured and sucked into Disney.

I don't see it happening, but if Steve pulled off a similar kind of deal with intel, keeping Apple intact but putting key people in a position of power at Intel I would be quite interested to see what Intel would do.


As long as the cream rises to the top I guess it's not a cause for alarm, except in Redmond,

Apple has long wanted to secure it's sources of hardware components and I'm sure Intel is sick and tired of Microsoft's mediocre crap killing PC sales.

I have a feeling we will see a merger deal coming shortly, Steve wants to insure the success of Apple forever.

Name change guesses anyone?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

China quite literally owns the United States of America at this point. Good luck with your crusade. You're going to need it.

China owns paper.
post #22 of 22
He looks like he could bare his teeth and rip out some throats. Good for Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel's top attorney to take reins of Apple's legal team