or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tablet Tuesday: Lenovo, Fujitsu, Archos unveil touchscreens

Tablet Tuesday: Lenovo, Fujitsu, Archos unveil touchscreens - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've done some experimenting with home-made styli on the iPhone.

Things work pretty well "as is", even though the iPhone wasn't designed for stylus input.

You can do a decent job of handwriting, hand printing and drawing on the iPhone.

Because of the way the iPhone is currently setup, the stylus needs to present a flat touch with about a 30-pixel radius. So the stylus needs a flat-tipped nib of about 1/4 inch diameter. This must be touched straight down, or the barrel above the nib must be flexible, so the entire nib surface touches the display when the stylus is used at a normal angle (like a pen or pencil).

If Apple were interested in supporting a stylus there are some [seemingly minor] things they could do:

1) have a system-wide stylus mode-- say a 4-finger tap to activate or deactivate. This way you could draw on anything.

2) In stylus mode recognize a smaller radius (than the current 30-pixel) as valid input. Currently, anything smaller is rejected as noise. This would allow a much smaller nib.

3) allow any document file to have an associated "annotation" file or layer.

4) recognize a BlueTooth interface to a stylus that detects pressure, so that line thickness can be varied (by the software)

5) incorporate artifacts, shapes, smoothing, etc.

I believe that it would be great to use a stylus as an option for input on a Apple Tablet.

Below are some examples using a stylus with the Sketches app (the first iPhone app I bought).

The hardest part is touching straight down on the small surface.

... now, what did I do with that darn stylus ...

you are a secret apple agent right ?? great posts dude
i love them

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Archos looks to Android for its Internet Tablet

On the smaller side, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet is more of a competitor to the iPod touch and iPhone than the latest Fujitsu and Lenovo keyboard-toting laptops. Revealed Tuesday, the device has a 4.8-inch 800x480 pixel screen that can play HD video in both WMV and H.264 formats.

The big selling point is the system's operating system, relying on a variant of Google's Android to power the portable media player.

According to Engadget, the device also can be docked and paired with a any bluetooth keyboard and mouse, allowing the user to surf the Web on their TV. The hardware is now available, with prices ranging from $250 to $440.

apple should buy Archos .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

But the advantage goes to Google because "like Microsoft on the desktop" they are on being pumped out on every vendors list of what is the new Hardware can we put Android on today that will push it even further.

And yes, I'm waiting to see if 2.0 is going to be the huge upgrade that it's been rumored.

It would be be interesting to see if Google pulls their Apps from Apple in the same manor Apple is trying to block the Pre at every point. I'm guessing Google will keep Apple in the party until they aren't needed anymore (a lot like Microsoft did on the desktop in the early 90's).

Dude drink decaff after 11 am ok . Google and apple are best buds and google bows deeply at apples mere gesture of dis pleasure.Yes they compete but google makes tons of money from the daily high usage of apple devices . I must google at least 100 times a day ,

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #44 of 75
Quote:

Then you'll probably enjoy the fact that a phone is being introduced by Archos that is the follow up to the tablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/a...chscreen-1ghz/

Which will ship the the with latest Android Donut that takes care of support for GSM & CDMA networks and also takes care of different screen resolution & device screen sizes.

Android Donut 1.6 SDK shipped today.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/a...rly-as-october

I keep saying to all the Apple FanBoys that hate Microsoft they are not your competitor. Google continues gain market share touching every part of Apple's product line.

The link also has a link within for the Anroid Tablet.

We'll probably see an Anroid Home Media Center before the next AppleTV update.

Edit. By the way... Google shipped Chrome 3.0 today with some mighty high goals.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ource=rss_news

What's more I suspect there is less resistance from us Apple FanBoys to anything Google compared with the anti-M$ sentiment. As others have said many things that make iPhone and Macs so nice come from Google and I simply can't see Apple having the ability to replicate any of it. Hopefully Google and Apple can continue in a healthy competitive way that benefits both companies as well as users. This unlike the M$ history where so much stifling of innovation and trampling on others took place.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #45 of 75
I predict without basing it on anything that the new "touchscreen" devices from apple is just the new apple tv .... it just seems weird to me that apple would make a "tablet" that would compete with the mentioned lenovo and fujitsu tablets ... they would just integrated touchscreens and make the screen convertibles on the macbook pros but a 9 point something inch screen as "Tablet" is just out of the water for me for its size alone ... 9 inches is so netbook \
post #46 of 75
This Archos is exactly the type of device Apple IS competing with, not the Netbook. And this rumored tablet should be priced accordingly. but, from what i've seen, it looks as though Apple will be double the price of the Archos. I think Apple kind of priced themselves out of the competition when the iPhone and the iPod Touch surfaced. The Archos has double the screen size for virtually the same price as the touch? no way is this tablet going to be that price either since the touch is roughly that.
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I think they look pretty good. I also noticed that they accept any stylus while the iPhone/iPodTouch can only use metal based styli for conductivity. Is this correct?

Anyway this is good competition. Apple needs to step up. I think we have enough iPods by now.

I have and iPhone/iPod touch stylus (Pogo Sketch) that has a strange foam tip. While it works, it requires a bit more pressure than an actual finger tap. It can be useful for some things.

And yes, competition is good for Apple and the rest of us. As we see, Apple doesn't sit around waiting for the rest of the industry (industries?) to catch up. I'd guess that the products we see released are probably several generations behind what Apple has cooking in the lab, so we have NO IDEA what's really on the horizon, product-wise.

As for this Apple vs. Google scenario... the two have always seemed to be more supportive and acted as allies rather than having the angry stalemate or serf-like relationships that everyone seems to have with and against Microsoft. Why would that suddenly change?

Microsoft is in decline and they remain dangerous, but why are people suddenly trying to cast other players like Google as enemies? Why does there have to be an enemy? It's so counterproductive. I'd trade all the Apple vs. Microsoft bullshit and bile for rational discussion... even though it can be fun to participate.

The next few years will be pretty interesting as the handheld market changes and develops. All the players, old and new, will borrow and push each other who knows where things will be in a few years?
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

I predict without basing it on anything that the new "touchscreen" devices from apple is just the new apple tv .... it just seems weird to me that apple would make a "tablet" that would compete with the mentioned lenovo and fujitsu tablets ... they would just integrated touchscreens and make the screen convertibles on the macbook pros but a 9 point something inch screen as "Tablet" is just out of the water for me for its size alone ... 9 inches is so netbook \

A 6" to 9" device, that is actually usable, is what a large number of people are itching for. The current Microsoftian vision of a computing "tablet" is a failure in all but the deepest recesses of certain geeky niches.

As we see with the success of the iPod touch, it's a device that MANY people can use in MANY different ways. Look at all the apps: remote controls, Skype, sketching and painting (with multiple selectable line weights), business-type apps that sync with your Mac, zillions of games, ebook readers, maps, media players, etc., etc., etc..

The size of the current iPod touch/iPhone screen really limits the amount of time you can spend working on it. I would spend MUCH more time working remotely, if my eyes didn't quit trying to focus on some of the miniscule on-screen text. A larger screen would enable Apple to steal the eBook market from Amazon and the Kindle, not that the actually "own" it..

It would have to have a long battery life that can hold a charge and withstand the rigors of gaming. If it can recharge with USB ALONE and not a big, heavy power brick like my MacBook Pro, that would be a big deal. You could toss it in a bag with ONE cable and without the extra 3 or 4 pounds of laptop junk we're all forced to carry.
post #49 of 75
It is funny how these companies want to unveil their touchscreens in time so that they can get trashed and humiliated by the new apple tablet.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

It is funny how these companies want to unveil their touchscreens in time so that they can get trashed and humiliated by the new apple tablet.

Apple continues to show the way forward, but that is no guarantee the clueless also-rans can actually follow.
post #51 of 75
same sh it different day from the competition.

Archos is the only half decent co. trying to bring something meagre to the table.

Boy is it gonna be hard for apple to completely dominate this market...
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Agreed, but marketing the tablet for professionals, and especially students (a significant portion of the consumer base), would innovate the market and proliferate the use. For example, imagine for starters how great it would be to be able to do the following on a computer or tablet: sketch, takes notes in class, add handwritten diagrams to your word documents and read and take notes in the margins of PDFs and eBooks, while underlining specific passages, not to mention finally being able to write musical scores, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Those are very nice suggestions, especially the added layer in documents, which makes it ez to amend current apps. But I'd be worried that the touchscreen will never be good enough, even if the radius were made smaller (that wouldn't exactly give pressure sensitivity). What would really be nice then is to have an upgrade option for those willing to pay the premium to get a dual capacity screen that has both touchscreen interface for everyday tasks, and an active digitizer like Wacom's for more refined usage, that, as you say, would be activated by some kind of gesture.

It's been a while since I've used a Wacom tablet, but couldn't what you suggest be accomplished without changing the touchscreen, itself-- intelligent (BlueTooth) stylus and software on the Tablet's touch display.

In Tablet mode:

1) zoom in or out with finger touches or stylus touches to screen buttons (or a combination of finger touches and stylus touch)
2) precision to a magnified pixel level
3) when the tip of the stylus touches the screen with no pressure, a pointer (arrow, crosshairs, loupe, etc) is displayed
3) when pressure is applied to the stylus, drawing begins, then ends when pressure is released
4) pressure level settable between off/on, always on, levels between 0-255, levels between 1-255
5) the always on and 1-255 settings would act as a "hot stylus" where drawing would begin whenever the stylus touched the surface-- similar to a paint brush or India ink pen
6) when in "hot stylus" mode, the software could detect the [larger] position of the hand and fingers to triangulate the location of the tip (above the surface) to display a cursor
7) the pressure level sensitivity on the stylus would be adjustable to suit the user
8) the stylus would be sensitive to angle and orientation as well as pressure, to accommodate painting and calligraphy
9) Eraser modes to reverse the above
10) multiple levels of undo/redo

The only thing that appears to be missing is precise positioning in "hot stylus" mode without actually touching the stylus tip to the screen. I don't know if this is a deal breaker or if a work-around is acceptable:

1) zoom in and "eyeball" the position of the stylus tip relative to the pixels on the display.
2) touch the screen with a finger (Invisible Ink) to allow the stylus to be positioned precisely, then release the finger

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you are a secret apple agent right ?? great posts dude
i love them

peace 9

Nah!

I've been watching Apple and buying their products since 1978.

I [mostly] like their style and products, though they can be very difficult to deal with.

I think they are a very good investment and am long on AAPL (with some shares purchased as low as $17) I bought some today at $180 plus change!

I want them to succeed.

I want Apple to "make products that I need/want", but reluctantly admit that, often, Apple knows, better than me, what I need/want.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

apple should buy Archos .

The Archos tablet is interesting. But, if you read the comments on one of the linked sites, Archos has a weird business model, and a lot of hostile customers. They nickel and dime you to to death and provide minimal customer service.

The main thing Archos appears to offer is low [entry] price.

Historically, Apple does not buy companies for "products" that it can build itself (if it chooses to).

Rather, they buy companies for "technology" that they can use to build superior products-- FingerWorks and PASC are recent examples.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's more I suspect there is less resistance from us Apple FanBoys to anything Google compared with the anti-M$ sentiment. As others have said many things that make iPhone and Macs so nice come from Google and I simply can't see Apple having the ability to replicate any of it. Hopefully Google and Apple can continue in a healthy competitive way that benefits both companies as well as users. This unlike the M$ history where so much stifling of innovation and trampling on others took place.

The Archos tablet apparently uses Android plus another, proprietary [Linux-based] Archos layer, to deliver the "goodies". It is unclear which layer is on top or in control. Or, whether 3rd-parties will allowed access to what is needed to write apps.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #56 of 75
Quote:

Nah!

I've been watching Apple and buying their products since 1978.

I [mostly] like their style and products, though they can be very difficult to deal with.

I think they are a very good investment and am long on AAPL (with some shares purchased as low as $17) I bought some today at $180 plus change!

I want them to succeed.

I want Apple to "make products that I need/want", but reluctantly admit that, often, Apple knows, better than me, what I need/want.

Quote:

The Archos tablet is interesting. But, if you read the comments on one of the linked sites, Archos has a weird business model, and a lot of hostile customers. They nickel and dime you to to death and provide minimal customer service.

The main thing Archos appears to offer is low [entry] price.

Historically, Apple does not buy companies for "products" that it can build itself (if it chooses to).

Rather, they buy companies for "technology" that they can use to build superior products-- FingerWorks and PASC are recent examples.

yea me too i am a apple use since 1988 or 91 i forget .

i seen a couple of older gents watching movies on some kind of small archos device
like 2x the size of a psp .

but i guess buying bungle forHALO series is a better buy
or maybe even EA

have a good night dude

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The current Microsoftian .

The current Microsoftian;s ???

Jeff are these some out law biker group or people from micronesia ??

And i worry about the use of the term current . what happened to the olden microsoftian's ?? Did they catch a virus or cold and die ?? Or did google bots do them in ?
hmm

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

For me, thinkpad has always looked attractive.

That Fujitsu thing looks bulky and cheap.

The Archos...look at those icons?!?!?
Interesting Article on Apple and rounded corners:
http://www.uiandus.com/2009/07/27/th...ed-rectangles/

Lenovo T400 are brilliant notebooks, but not tablets... not even "tablets" (or notablets... or laplets?) like Fuji.. even with touchscreen.

That being said, I'm perfectly happy with it as it is - can't see a real value in anything much bigger than iPhone and no keyboard, but lets wait and see.
post #59 of 75
Quote:

4th.
You can't engage a conversation with a closed mind. No need to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

5th.
You're obviously an idiot as that is the "cheapest" comment you could possibly make to someone challenging your point of view.

How about not being personal..? \
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Do any of these devices have a capacitive touch display?

Resistive is fine for use with a stylus but rubbish for use with finger touch alone.

Also, Microsoft have had their chance at a tablet os with windows xp tablet edition and manufacturers spawned the same shit machines then as lenovo have this week. At least some of the tablets back then were a bit slimmer and looked better when the screen was rotated and locked in tablet mode.

It depends.

On gsmarena.com you can find review for latest Samsung Omnia II phone. It has (presumably) latest evolution of resistive touch screen and reviewer claims it is as sensitive to the light touch as capacitive screens.

I can see advantage there as you can use it with gloves, or scribble with any stylus available - but it also makes it so easy to coincidently press & execute something while carrying it around, which means one would have to keep it locked all the time.

When it comes to phones, I think I prefer capacitive approach, but tablets... haven't really got an opinion there.

But I went a bit too wide... my point is, there are resistive screens which are as sensitive, different question is if those new tablets will use them or not.
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I havent heard of Apple ever licensing Wacoms electromagnetic resonance technology but you never know. It is nice that the tablet powers the pen, but I wonder if that also comes with a power tradeoff where a rechargeable pen with small battery that would last a very long time between charges would be a better overall tradeoff. After all, its not like creating a capacitive resistence to mimic a finger requires much power. Im sure Apple would test to see which fits their needs best.

That said, I have doubts that any tablet Apple would release would focus on even having a stylus. That is not to say that a stylus wouldnt come in handy with many distinct apps, but Apple may just sell it as an accessory or let 3rd-parties take of it as they already do for those that want a stylus for their iPhone or Touch. This would be especially true if this theoretical tablet is to focus more on the consumer market, not on specific professional occupations where these tablet devices tend to get used.

Would be nice to have a place/holder for stylus, though. Maybe one that would charge pen's battery while the pen is in (even if tablet is turned off).
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is a bit silly if you ask me.

Such is the history of every civilized, democratic country nowadays - yet we don't hate US, Australia, GB for that.

I am only interested what MS and Apple stand for today, not what they did in far IT history.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

This Archos is exactly the type of device Apple IS competing with, not the Netbook. And this rumored tablet should be priced accordingly. but, from what i've seen, it looks as though Apple will be double the price of the Archos. I think Apple kind of priced themselves out of the competition when the iPhone and the iPod Touch surfaced. The Archos has double the screen size for virtually the same price as the touch? no way is this tablet going to be that price either since the touch is roughly that.

There is strange miss-proportion in Apple's pricing that I can't understand.

For example, iPhone 3GS 32GB (full priced handset only, no plan) here in New Zealand is NZ$1370. You can easily find a Blackberry or two, and some Nokias, having retail price tag of NZ$1600 and more.

iPhone feels and looks better, has more memory, and is actually cheaper.

Same goes for iPod. Last time I was looking for media players, iPods were perfectly price-competitive with Creative Zens and others (Touch being a bit more expensive, but not much).

And Apple is selling loads of them here in NZ.

However Apple computers are much more expensive than competition (performance wise) and - I believe closely related to that - are not overly common in New Zealand. In fact they are very rare beasts here.

How come can Apple be price competitive with portables and not with computers? Wouldn't the same approach of lower prices, much bigger volumes work with their PCs as well?
post #64 of 75
Quote:

A 6" to 9" device, that is actually usable, is what a large number of people are itching for. The current Microsoftian vision of a computing "tablet" is a failure in all but the deepest recesses of certain geeky niches.

As we see with the success of the iPod touch, it's a device that MANY people can use in MANY different ways. Look at all the apps: remote controls, Skype, sketching and painting (with multiple selectable line weights), business-type apps that sync with your Mac, zillions of games, ebook readers, maps, media players, etc., etc., etc..

The size of the current iPod touch/iPhone screen really limits the amount of time you can spend working on it. I would spend MUCH more time working remotely, if my eyes didn't quit trying to focus on some of the miniscule on-screen text. A larger screen would enable Apple to steal the eBook market from Amazon and the Kindle, not that the actually "own" it..

It would have to have a long battery life that can hold a charge and withstand the rigors of gaming. If it can recharge with USB ALONE and not a big, heavy power brick like my MacBook Pro, that would be a big deal. You could toss it in a bag with ONE cable and without the extra 3 or 4 pounds of laptop junk we're all forced to carry.

Isn't that what you already have with netbooks? 8 - 9 hours of battery time (on a selected few), small (phone-like) AC adapters..?
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

when you use the word 'apple fanboys' in your first post in a thread, you clearly don't earn any credibility around here. to insult a user with a long history of contributing here doesn't help.

you also don't seem to know where google makes its money: it's from the ads they display on their search results. for example from the default 'google search' in safari. it is a business after all, as you pointed out. it would be foolish for google and apple to get into a pissing contest.

as far as google and apple being in competition - i'd say: not yet. it's the winmo manufacturing crowd that seems to be jumping ship to android the fastest.

no go troll precentral...

I wouldn't agree 100% with everything NonVendorFan said, but Apple and Google being in competition - Absolutely. Problem is if Apple actually realizes it yet. Most of Apples growth is coming from the home market, mainly because with the big enterprise there's the issue that they have loads of custom apps that just only work on Windows or IE6. Google isn't going to get those customers any easier than Apple is.

Competing with OS X and iPhones though is easily doable. They just need the right harware to be produced and they will be stealing market share. Unlike Apple being compared with MS there brand doesn't seem to have much over Google. Both make good products but to the public Googles free, Apples expensive. Not only that, think how quickly Chrome just killed Safari on Windows!
post #66 of 75
Answers in bold. Seemed easier to just work with the quoted material itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Competing with OS X and iPhones though is easily doable.

It apparently isn't. Android still hasn't taken off significantly against the iPhone. We're all waiting. Where's the beef? We're living in the day of the iPhone revolution.

For one, Android has very little mindshare, and the iPhone brand itself is a huge stumbling block. Rogers is marketing the hell out of Android up here in Canada, but it doesn't seem to be achieving much. Ask a Rogers middle-manager (of say, GTA-marketing), and they'll give you a simple, one-word reason: iPhone.

They just need the right harware to be produced and they will be stealing market share.

Like what? Apple makes a single device. Unified, easy experience. The very problem is that these mobile operating systems are supposed to run on every handset out there. It's the PC paradigm. That's actually part of the problem, and it's apparently a losing proposition.

Unlike Apple being compared with MS there brand doesn't seem to have much over Google.

It does. Apple caters to the Premium end and rules it. Apple's ecosystem is tight, integrated, and provides an unequalled user experience. Google provides about half of the experience to users. Google offers no OS as of yet, and when they do, it looks like it'll be catered to the low-end of the market, where Apple has no presence anyway and doesn't intend to have any presence. Google makes no hardware. Google has nowhere near the cohesive tech ecosystem Apple does.

Both make good products but to the public Googles free, Apples expensive. Not only that, think how quickly Chrome just killed Safari on Windows!

Seems people are more than willing to step up and pay for entry into the Apple ecosystem, especially in a recession. Hence record quarters, record Mac sales, the iPhone phenomenon (and that's an understatement.) In fact, Apple's astounding success in all areas during this economic downturn simply proves that the "Apple way" has been right all along.

Google competes with Apple directly in a precious few areas as of yet. When they show a little more in the OS realm and manage to make a significant dent in the mobile sector, then we'll see. Right now all we're looking at are some Cloud services, a browser, a mobile OS that isn't really gettting any traction, and a promised OS that looks like a direct competitor to Windows on the low end rather than OS X.
post #67 of 75
Quote:

It's been a while since I've used a Wacom tablet, but couldn't what you suggest be accomplished without changing the touchscreen, itself-- intelligent (BlueTooth) stylus and software on the Tablet's touch display.

In Tablet mode:

1) zoom in or out with finger touches or stylus touches to screen buttons (or a combination of finger touches and stylus touch)
2) precision to a magnified pixel level
3) when the tip of the stylus touches the screen with no pressure, a pointer (arrow, crosshairs, loupe, etc) is displayed
3) when pressure is applied to the stylus, drawing begins, then ends when pressure is released
4) pressure level settable between off/on, always on, levels between 0-255, levels between 1-255
5) the always on and 1-255 settings would act as a "hot stylus" where drawing would begin whenever the stylus touched the surface-- similar to a paint brush or India ink pen
6) when in "hot stylus" mode, the software could detect the [larger] position of the hand and fingers to triangulate the location of the tip (above the surface) to display a cursor
7) the pressure level sensitivity on the stylus would be adjustable to suit the user
8) the stylus would be sensitive to angle and orientation as well as pressure, to accommodate painting and calligraphy
9) Eraser modes to reverse the above
10) multiple levels of undo/redo

The only thing that appears to be missing is precise positioning in "hot stylus" mode without actually touching the stylus tip to the screen. I don't know if this is a deal breaker or if a work-around is acceptable:

1) zoom in and "eyeball" the position of the stylus tip relative to the pixels on the display.
2) touch the screen with a finger (Invisible Ink) to allow the stylus to be positioned precisely, then release the finger

I have no idea about the details of all that but if it can work with the regular touch screen then perhaps there is hope yet for just buying a pricey stylus and software as an add-on to accomplish all those wonderful treats on any tablet. That would certainly make my day.
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Isn't that what you already have with netbooks? 8 - 9 hours of battery time (on a selected few), small (phone-like) AC adapters..?

Netbook? Cheap parts. Generally poor industrial design. Miniscule keyboard. Running Windows? I have no interest tinkering endlessly on some Hackintosh project.
Yeah, sign me up.

I love my iPod touch, but it would be nice to have a larger version. Something I could carry around and not have to deal with the awkwardness of the laptop form factor (2-piece, hinged, keyboard input). Have you ever tried to walk around using a laptop? No fun. They're designed to be used in some static position.

If someone would release an iPhone/iPod touch CAD app (Vectorworks Lite?) I could use it in the field.
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Android still hasn't taken off significantly against the iPhone. We're all waiting. Where's the beef? We're living in the day of the iPhone revolution.

Android, at this point, seems to be the handheld Linux. It's all pipe dreams and promises.

In the consumer market, it's all about the HARDWARE, the OS is secondary.

The iPhone as a device caught on first. THEN the OS got the attention. THEN came the App Store and the software caught on. The iPod, too. How many look-alikes do we see that fail because they don't work the same?

Marketing an "Android Phone" is only compelling for Apple-hating geeks.
Who else really cares. Who even knows what Android is or does? Just like Linux.
post #70 of 75
So who posted an article saying windows 7 touch technology was dead on arrival? ...
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #71 of 75
Quote:

Android, at this point, seems to be the handheld Linux. It's all pipe dreams and promises.

In the consumer market, it's all about the HARDWARE, the OS is secondary.

The iPhone as a device caught on first. THEN the OS got the attention. THEN came the App Store and the software caught on. The iPod, too. How many look-alikes do we see that fail because they don't work the same?

Marketing an "Android Phone" is only compelling for Apple-hating geeks.
Who else really cares. Who even knows what Android is or does? Just like Linux.

The android products are six months away. They are not from a single vendor and they don't fit into the same segment either. Android will be a strong competitor to anyone.
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If anyone finds an extensive review of the Archos 5 would you please post the link here?

Detailed description and 143 customer reviews at Amazon Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Warning: The low-rated reviews tend to focus on bad to awful Customer Service experience. The high-rated were from people for whom it worked out of the box and never dealt with Customer Service.

Overall, while not up to Apple's aesthetic and UI standards an apparently interesting device with the system capability of doing many useful things - acting as a DVR, accessing an external hard drive - however and unfortunately, lots of those cool potential functions require additional purchases. Check out this list. You'd need a separate gadget bag to carry - and keep track - of it all. And buying them probably triples the price.......

Add-ons--Enhance Your Archos 5

* DVR Station
Record TV, play video back to your TV, and charge your Archos device via the DVR Station. With the included TV Program Guide, scheduling and recording from your satellite receiver, cable box, Digital TV adapter has never been so easy. You also can surf the Web or stream web video to your TV while comfortably laid back on your couch using the included remote control as a keyboard and mouse pointer.
* DVR Snap-on
Record from most any audio or video analog source on the move with the DVR Snap-on, a small device that's no bigger than a pack of gum.
* Mini Dock
Transfer your files directly from USB keys, digital cameras, or other portable media players with the Mini Dock. Quickly charge your Archos with the included charger/adapter. Play video out to your TV with video output in high quality S-Video or standard quality composite.
* Battery Dock
Benefit from all the great features of the Mini Dock and get extended playback with the built-in backup battery.
* Helmet Cam
Turn your Archos into a hands-free digital camcorder with the Helmet Cam, perfect for sports and family fun.
* FM Remote
A built-in FM receiver and microphone on the FM Remote let you listen to radio anywhere or make voice recordings.
* Protective Cases
Protect your Archos and show your style with a protective case.
* GPS Car Holder
Turn your Archos 5 into a high-end GPS with the GPS In-Car Holder.
* TV Snap-on (Available by end of 2008)
Watch live digital TV right on your Archos, record, and enjoy the time-shifting function.

Sheesh.......

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Current "tablet" offerings are just pathetic.

Apple will shake this segment up completely.

Lenovo, HP, Fujitsu. LOL.

If the following is any indication, you're absolutely right.

Look how the headline touts the thing and as you read more you realize it isn't even a computer with a full OS, more the second coming - in touch screen and compact mode - of the ill-fated "internet appliances" of the late '90's ("The Audrey" comes to mind - check it out!). As for this "revolutionary" device from HP, watch the embedded promo video which seems to aim at the level of those having never touched a "computery thing" before - i.e., as sophisticated a pitch as for those Mom and Pop consumers that Microsoft's "Web TV" was aimed at.

The long-awaited DreamScreen tablet computer comes from HP, not Apple

Hewlett Packard has beaten Apple to the punch in coming up with a beautiful tablet-like*computer. The company’s just-announced DreamScreen products represent a new category of wireless connected screens.

This Venturebeat.com site can't be up to much. And the asterisk after "tablet-like" is for LoLz.

Still, the current state of the competition (whether for hardware, software, service, quality reasons) aside, that doesn't mean there won't be real competition in these spaces. For one thing there are too many potential niches for any one company to fill. And as the continuing success of the Blackberry indicates, more than one well-executed UI metaphor can appeal and meet the needs of different folks makin' different touches and (key)strokes. Finally, this Android phenomenon gets more real every day.

In the MS era, Apple wasn't just competing against another start-up. In essence it was competing with IBM and its nearly complete lock on business computing - which was 95% of computing at the time, and Apple was still two geeks just out of the garage. Another factor was Apple's struggle to transition from the Apple II through the unsuccessful Apple III and hugely expensive Lisa before Steve Jobs' rogue skunk works team finally rolled out a tiny screened b&w Mac - and even then keeping many of its eggs in the Apple II for too long. These things, more than any further genius on Redmond's part - other than in practicing opportunistic ruthlessness - turned the tide in favor of the inferior Wintel products, even as MS was conspiring to soon stab Ceasar (IBM) in the back.

And for any who don't know, yep, the Mac (and therefore Apple) only exists today because the CEO hung out in the basement and competed against his own company board's chosen business plan, relying on those now famous strategic instincts. Apple is the most interesting corporation in any line of business ever (which is why Apple Insider and this forum and so many others like it exist). And has migrated its entire base through major transitions more times than Oprah's changed dress sizes, often in uncharted seas and unpromising times. Amazing story. There's just no equivalent in modern times.

Anyway, that was then. In the emerging mobile computing era, MS most likely will have to settle for crumbs this go round.

However, in Google, Apple's facing another iconic, wealthy competitor with better software (and some of Apple's cachet) than MS had at the same stage of Win v Mac, and who is working with many well-established partners with plenty of hardware smarts. The playing field's somewhat equalized this time by the fact that Apple is hardly a start-up anymore, is in peak form, has a big war chest, and has a well-established history of surviving all challenges. Plus, neither company is a key enterprise player, and finally, corporations haven't truly standardized on OS or hardware specs for any of these new devices.

Should be an interesting tussle. And it's just warming up. Stock up on popcorn.

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

The android products are six months away. They are not from a single vendor and they don't fit into the same segment either. Android will be a strong competitor to anyone.

Another six months?

They've been six months away for well over a year now.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If the following is any indication, you're absolutely right.

Look how the headline touts the thing and as you read more you realize it isn't even a computer with a full OS, more the second coming - in touch screen and compact mode - of the ill-fated "internet appliances" of the late '90's ("The Audrey" comes to mind - check it out!). As for this "revolutionary" device from HP, watch the embedded promo video which seems to aim at the level of those having never touched a "computery thing" before - i.e., as sophisticated a pitch as for those Mom and Pop consumers that Microsoft's "Web TV" was aimed at.

The long-awaited DreamScreen tablet computer comes from HP, not Apple

Hewlett Packard has beaten Apple to the punch in coming up with a beautiful tablet-like*computer. The companys just-announced DreamScreen products represent a new category of wireless connected screens.

This Venturebeat.com site can't be up to much. And the asterisk after "tablet-like" is for LoLz.

Still, the current state of the competition (whether for hardware, software, service, quality reasons) aside, that doesn't mean there won't be real competition in these spaces. For one thing there are too many potential niches for any one company to fill. And as the continuing success of the Blackberry indicates, more than one well-executed UI metaphor can appeal and meet the needs of different folks makin' different touches and (key)strokes. Finally, this Android phenomenon gets more real every day.

In the MS era, Apple wasn't just competing against another start-up. In essence it was competing with IBM and its nearly complete lock on business computing - which was 95% of computing at the time, and Apple was still two geeks just out of the garage. Another factor was Apple's struggle to transition from the Apple II through the unsuccessful Apple III and hugely expensive Lisa before Steve Jobs' rogue skunk works team finally rolled out a tiny screened b&w Mac - and even then keeping many of its eggs in the Apple II for too long. These things, more than any further genius on Redmond's part - other than in practicing opportunistic ruthlessness - turned the tide in favor of the inferior Wintel products, even as MS was conspiring to soon stab Ceasar (IBM) in the back.

And for any who don't know, yep, the Mac (and therefore Apple) only exists today because the CEO hung out in the basement and competed against his own company board's chosen business plan, relying on those now famous strategic instincts. Apple is the most interesting corporation in any line of business ever (which is why Apple Insider and this forum and so many others like it exist). And has migrated its entire base through major transitions more times than Oprah's changed dress sizes, often in uncharted seas and unpromising times. Amazing story. There's just no equivalent in modern times.

Anyway, that was then. In the emerging mobile computing era, MS most likely will have to settle for crumbs this go round.

However, in Google, Apple's facing another iconic, wealthy competitor with better software (and some of Apple's cachet) than MS had at the same stage of Win v Mac, and who is working with many well-established partners with plenty of hardware smarts. The playing field's somewhat equalized this time by the fact that Apple is hardly a start-up anymore, is in peak form, has a big war chest, and has a well-established history of surviving all challenges. Plus, neither company is a key enterprise player, and finally, corporations haven't truly standardized on OS or hardware specs for any of these new devices.

Should be an interesting tussle. And it's just warming up. Stock up on popcorn.

LOL!!! Lets see, a "computer" with no touchscreen and no OS. Oh and it looks like crap. How is that going to compete with Apple?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tablet Tuesday: Lenovo, Fujitsu, Archos unveil touchscreens