or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings - Page 3

post #81 of 104
It's a ridiculously stupid term applied to all black people by sensitive whites, be they African or not.

Most African-Americans are about as African as I am English.

Black-American
White-American

That makes more sense to me.
proud resident of a failed state
post #82 of 104
MrTea

Amazing reply/post, thanks!

This really gets me to want to read all about LOTR and such... but I will do so once all 3 movies are out... so I guess I will start sometime in 2004

But that still doesnt answer why in the heck they didnt just send someone off on a giant eagle and drop the ring into the volcano... ok, yes, I did say that there would be no story otherwise, but still

groverat, I do agree with you... I actually think that the constant paranoia of being politically correct for classifying people actually makes us all seem more racist than not. If a guy is black or dark skinned, than just say so. Heck, I dont understand why black people get offended if we call them black and we dont give a damn, at least I dont, if any other culture calls us white. I think wa have more imporatnt things in this world to worry about than what color skin we are and how we refer to eachother. Sorry, totally off topic.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #83 of 104
But that still doesnt answer why in the heck they didnt just send someone off on a giant eagle and drop the ring into the volcano... ok, yes, I did say that there would be no story otherwise, but still

Hehe
Well I think that I can explain this one. There is an arm in Mordor around mount doom with many, many, many, many, many orcish archers.

Now, what I dont get is why Orcs and Goblins looked almsot exactly the same in the movie. Orcs REALLY didnt look.... piggish enough.
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
post #84 of 104
I thought the orcs looked great.

Why no eagle:
1) The eagle might not be able to resist the temptations of the ring.
2) Sauron would have that big mofo spotted very quickly and sent nazgul and all kinds of bad mojo at them.
3) The aformentioned archers.
4) I don't think Mount Doom is an open-faced volcano, as such.
post #85 of 104
Groverat< how can it possibly be stupid that a group of people would prefer to be called one thing rather than another?

Who are you to even care?

Besides the fact that it shouldn't matter to you at all, I mean, so the F&ck what?, there are plenty of justifications which could be used in explaining the dicision, though there really should be no need.

I imagine these could be among them: there are many different countries with black people, and yet all those people have the same common ancestry: Africa. . . .perhaps some people thought that an important thing . . .either way what the hell is it to you?

also, possibly, the dichotomous black/white distinction, really erases differences under an overly simplistic duality -- and one that also is often used in other contexts to mean good/bad etc. Just a slight possible problem with that . . .perhaps that might have something to do withit . . .

Perhaps, also, it has to do with just the need to upgrade the language to better reflect the changing state of race relations in the US and the world, where old terms came from times that were worse?

Perhaps it has to do with wanting a say in how they, as a group, are reffered to.... rather than adopt the most facile descriptive term placed on them from outside of them???

Either way, its not my place to say that the name a people want to use is stupid.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #86 of 104
Loved the books, loved the movie. Mr. Tea, is all that you've been quoting from the Silmarallion (sp?) ? I'd heard it wasn't that good, but sounds like it might be worth a read...

rr.
post #87 of 104
Oooops!

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Sir Mac o' the Isles ]</p>
Heedrum Ho
Heedrum Ho
post #88 of 104
[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:
<strong>I still think most Tolkien fans are over-estimating his reach. We're computer geeks here...

Word of mouth may be something that can put it over $250M, but I'm not holding my breath. Daver, an example of a movie that did better on a Wednesday premiere? Jurassic Park 3... $181M is where it's stuck at right now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry to druge up the past but I've been waiting for this chicken to come home to roost on Eugene!!

<a href="http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/2001/" target="_blank">http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/2001/</a>

LotR- passes 300 million!!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #89 of 104
Just saw a <a href="http://www.movie-list.com/l/lordoftheringstrilogy.shtml" target="_blank">bootleg copy of the trailer</a> for The Two Towers. Coolness is the word. I'm psyched.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: THT ]</p>
post #90 of 104
Hey, thanks for the link. Very cool.
post #91 of 104
Yes I can't wait for the 4 Disc DVD coming out in November. It should have an additional 35-40 minutes of scenes(better character Development..Legolas and Gimlis relationship should be more apparent)
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #92 of 104
Thanks for the link, THT, looks awesome except... Gollum's voice... what the hell is up with that digitized rasp crap?
post #93 of 104
[quote]Originally posted by groverat:
<strong>Thanks for the link, THT, looks awesome except... Gollum's voice... what the hell is up with that digitized rasp crap?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My guess is ragged 500yr vocal cords. I'm interested in seeing how well Mirand Otto does Lady Eowyn, loved seeing Theoden readying for battle. And G the W looks a little tougher.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #94 of 104
I always imagined a quiet whispered choking since he never really spoke to anyone other than himself for hundreds of years and would find it difficult to be loud after atrophy and such (hence the choking sounds).

Maybe I just love that character too much.

In the FotR trailer/movie you hear him whisper "preeeciouussss" and it sounded great. I'm sure it will grow on me, I just have to watch the trailer 100 times (&lt;- notice the pathetic excuse groverat uses to grant himself license to waste hours of his life watching the trailer).
post #95 of 104
As someone who's spent 9+ hours watching LotR in the theater...I will judge thee not...Nay. Good tidings come thither...the Two Tower shall waylay all Oscar foes next year as they be smitten like an Orc from the blade of Anduril.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #96 of 104
As I sit watching the trailer bootleg for the 4th time I find myself thinking that it will indeed make for some Oscar gold. I can forsee Viggo Mortenson getting Best Actor by the time this is all said and done as Aragorn becoms more important, or maybe not.

I don't like how they give away that Gandalf is coming back... my girlfriend's mother is seriously in suspense about that and the trailer will ruin it before she can be surprised by the movie.

I see no Ents.

But I do see that the barrow wights will be in there, but how can they have that part without Tom Bombadil? Maybe Aragorn will come flying in slashing away at them.
post #97 of 104
<strong>I see no Ents.

But I do see that the barrow wights will be in there, but how can they have that part without Tom Bombadil? Maybe Aragorn will come flying in slashing away at them. </strong><hr></blockquote>Look more closely for an ent. Treebeard's there.

Barrow wights would have been in Fellowship, not Two Towers.

Although the chase with the Nazgul is cool, I've always thought that the next two movies will be better than the first - lots of big battle scenes.
Ooh, they've got me by the balls with these movies. Total flashback to junior high school and playing dungeons and dragons and reading these books.
:o
post #98 of 104
Am I the only one who thought Liv Tyler's voice was dubbed?
It was just way to deep for her.
Anyway, I like to be suprised so I'm going to try not to see any trailers about TTT. I was mostly able to avoid anything about FOTR, which made for quite an enjoyable movie since I didn't really know what to expect (well, I have read the books so I kinda knew what to expect )

and the best Gollum by far was the Gollum from Rankin and Bass's "The Hobbit". It just doesn't get any better. Period. Precccciousssssss......
post #99 of 104
I give up, BRussell, where is Treebeard?
post #100 of 104
<strong>I give up, BRussell, where is Treebeard?</strong><hr></blockquote>About 3/4 of the way through, it's either Merry or Pippin hanging on a tree. The tree blinks its eyes. It looks pretty subtle, which is good.

Questions after watching it again:
1. What's the deal with that chick - it must be Eowyn - swordfighting Aragorn?

2. Who's that pale skanky long-hair - is that Wormtongue?

3. I always wondered to which two towers The Two Towers referred. I thought it was probably Minas Tirith and Morgul, but this clip suggests it's Orthanc and Barad-dur.
post #101 of 104
Jesus Lord how did you notice that!?
Treebeard is teh win! wahoo! Go Ents!

(For anyone curious, it's about 2:48 into it)

[quote]1. What's the deal with that chick - it must be Eowyn - swordfighting Aragorn?<hr></blockquote>

In the book she's pissed off about not being allowed to fight and such, so that is probably her trying to prove that she's a bad-ass.

[quote]2. Who's that pale skanky long-hair - is that Wormtongue?<hr></blockquote>

Where? At 1:04?
Whatever that thing is it reminds me of the little girl from The Exorcist.... ewww

Or behind Saruman when he says "Gandalf the Grey thinks he's found the lost king of Gondor..."?

[quote]I thought it was probably Minas Tirith and Morgul, but this clip suggests it's Orthanc and Barad-dur.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, I believe those two towers are built out of some kind of special rocks or something, I don't really remember.
post #102 of 104
I downloaded teh TTT preview yesturday. It was pretty damn cool. The battle of Helms Deep is gonna be really cool. Those where some bad-ass archers. I noticed Pippin on the tree, I assumed it was Treebeard, but I didnt see the eye blink.
I did notice though that they where grabbing for any all shots that they could possibly put in the trailer. For some reason it signaled to me that they have a long way to go before its finnished. Christmas 2002 Mmmmm, eat it starwars .
"What makes a man turn... neutral?" -Futurama
post #103 of 104
[quote]Originally posted by Falcon:
<strong>I downloaded teh TTT preview yesturday. It was pretty damn cool. The battle of Helms Deep is gonna be really cool. Those where some bad-ass archers. I noticed Pippin on the tree, I assumed it was Treebeard, but I didnt see the eye blink.
I did notice though that they where grabbing for any all shots that they could possibly put in the trailer. For some reason it signaled to me that they have a long way to go before its finnished. Christmas 2002 Mmmmm, eat it starwars .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I heard that they have finished filming all of the two towers and most of the post production, they are probably about 90% finished....I heard that they had already finished all the filming for return of the king, but I don't know if I believe that
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #104 of 104
All three movies where filmed simultaneously, so TTT and ROTK are both completely filmed. Though there is some scheduled re-shooting for this summer on TTT.

But actualy filming a full movie is less than half of the work completed in order to release the movie. SFX and editing take a long long time. That's what I was referring to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lord of the Rings