or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple prepares for first Microsoft store by updating its own

Apple prepares for first Microsoft store by updating its own

post #1 of 113
In what could be viewed as a preemptive strike, Apple has closed its store in Mission Viejo, Calif., for renovations -- the same store that will be located near one of Microsoft's first retail outlets.

Microsoft intends to open its first two brick-and-mortar stores this fall, with one of them to be located inside The Shops at Mission Viejo. That same site already houses an Apple Store, but one AppleInsider reader has sent word that the company has closed its existing location for renovations. The store has been closed since Monday, Sept. 14.

Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store." Whether the renovations are a direct response to Microsoft's own upcoming store, or merely a coincidence is unclear.

Regardless, the rivalry between Apple and Microsoft over the Windows maker's upcoming retail venture has been heating up. Apple's rival to the north has taken cues from the Mac maker's successful retail locations, and intends to include "Guru Bars," much like the Genius Bars created by Apple.

And this week, a new report suggested Microsoft is looking to poach managers and employees from existing Apple Stores. Apple employees have allegedly been offered "significant raises" to jump ship, and managers who are snagged have been asked to contact some of Apple's tops sales people to see if they will join.

The Redmond, Wash., company has even hired real estate expert George Blankenship, one of the cornerstones of Apple's early retail efforts, to consult on its first retail stores.

The Apple Store in Mission Viejo, Calif., is closed for renovations. Photo provided.

The new retail locations will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles. Third-party Windows software and Xbox games will also be available. The company also plans to open a store in Scottsdale, Ariz., before the year is out, though there is no Apple Store near that location.
post #2 of 113
Haha... I wouldn't be surprised if this is a direct response. I'm curious to see if they're planning to put on a show that will put Microsoft's to shame. In any case, it could be interesting to see how this one plays out.

If that's the case it may come across as 'neener-neener' to us, but to consumers browsing through the stores it is just going to be the Apple Store, whatever it is like when it comes out of renovation, compared to the Microsoft store.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a Microsoft store. I wonder what they're actually going to do with it... you know, to make people want to be there, or to enjoy being there.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #3 of 113
Well, here you go. It appears that competition is good for consumers... I hope MS opens some shops near me before they give up so I can get a snazzy new Apple Store update too!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #4 of 113
This should be interesting.
post #5 of 113
Oh, by the way, does anyone know if any Apple Store employees or managers have to sign noncompeates? I assume cashiers do not, of course. But I imagine if Apple offers expensive training to their genuses or managers they could have them sign...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #6 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a Microsoft store. I wonder what they're actually going to do with it... you know, to make people want to be there, or to enjoy being there.

Microsoft did have a store. It was located at the Sony Metreon in San Francisco during the early decade. At the time, it was a primo location.

The store was pretty much empty shortly after its opening. They closed it not much later since there was no foot traffic. It was actually pretty sad. I've visited it a few times out of curiosity and the store was quiet, and the workers just did not seem happy to be there.

The current environment is much different than it was back then though. Since they are essentially doing a copy-machine play out of Apple's playbook, it will be interesting to see what they will do. I hate to be a pessimist but I think in the end, Microsoft will (again) fail and spin some kind of story about their store being an "experiment".
post #7 of 113
i'm curious about where the MS store is in relation to the Apple store in this mall. are they opposite ends, across from each other or what? that could add to the fun if they actually face each other.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #8 of 113
They have been doing these renovations to apple stores all over the country before MS even announced they were doing the brick and mortars. Non story.
post #9 of 113
There will be a lot of attention given to that store by the media, so why not polish it up a bit!
post #10 of 113
MICROSOFT is beyond embarrassment. they cannot be shamed or humiliated any more. Of course, being led by a sweating, loudmouth blowhard helps.
post #11 of 113
>>>Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store."

They did this same exact renovation in the Buffalo NY store a few weeks ago. It really was not a big change. They got rid of the shelves in the middle of the store and now have more products on tables.

"all-new Apple Store" is a bit of an over statment.
post #12 of 113
See?....isn't competition great?

US Government.....get out of the way and let everyone compete on equal footing.

OK. I'm done now.
post #13 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..... store in Scottsdale, Ariz., before the year is out, though there is no Apple Store near that location.

Actually, there is one - indeed, it is one of the very early ones - in Biltmore Fashion Park (a super high-end Mall). Although technically in Phoenix, it is barely 10 minutes away from Scottsdale.

I'll bet that'll be under 'renovation' too, soon!
post #14 of 113
Went to the Easton Apple Store and was pleasantly surprised by the renovation. It's a LOT more open feeling, all the straighter shelving is gone, with the software and accessories pushed to the back walls surrounding the Genius Bar. They added a bunch of tables with MacBooks/MBPs/iMacs for customers to use. I found it amusing that they had a kid sized table with iMacs as well, hook em early .
post #15 of 113
Has anyone in Redmond, ever, in the entire history of the company, had anything resembling an original thought?
post #16 of 113
I cant wait to get into the Microsoft Store and play with WORD!

Leftorium? Ned Flanders?
post #17 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HappyGuy View Post

>>>Now boarded off, the location tells visitors, "Coming soon. The all-new Apple Store."

They did this same exact renovation in the Buffalo NY store a few weeks ago. It really was not a big change. They got rid of the shelves in the middle of the store and now have more products on tables.

"all-new Apple Store" is a bit of an over statment.

And the one in Short Hills, NJ was done over last year. Bigger Genius bar, more tables with products, no more theater, and worst of all... no place to sit while waiting. I didn't like the changes
post #18 of 113
Microsoft stores will be as exciting as a Radio Shack.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #19 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

A better statement: Microsoft stores will be as exciting as a Hallmark store during a non-holiday season.
post #20 of 113
I was in Atlantic City a few months ago and saw the apple store closed for renovations. My Apple store in the Garden State Plaza was renovated to have a larger area for Genius Bar and One to One training.
post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Has anyone in Redmond, ever, in the entire history of the company, had anything resembling an original thought?

Yes.
1. Lets just steal the Mac operating system right in front of everyone
2. Lets just steal QuickTime right in front of everyone
3. Lets just steal Apple Retail right in front of everyone
These are all original thoughts. At least for a huge business to build their profits on the work of others without paying for it. But to be a bit truthful, remember Ford build his car biz by stealing the French idea of the internal combustion engine based automobile. Pepsi is still here, bigger than even, by simply replacing lemon for orange stealing the early Coke recipe. These are a few examples, but Microsoft got away with their "original" ideas. Just look at the number of people on this blog who say that's ok, or it didn't even occur! They proudly say it is ok to 'barrow' ideas, steal employees and condone theft. Well since the present group of crooks in Washington have been stealing the country blind and poisoning us for profits, we get what we deserve don't we? Don't forget that they have carefully made all this behavior legal! Things haven't changed much have they!
post #22 of 113
MS Store Guru employee- " I'm sorry sir, that is a OEM problem not windows, please contact Dell, HP, etc... who's next?"

Just like watching a car-wreck in the making.
post #23 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

MICROSOFT is beyond embarrassment. they cannot be shamed or humiliated any more. Of course, being led by a sweating, loudmouth blowhard helps.

post #24 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Dude, you just did Radio Shack a disservice. :-), I would in fact prefer RS to the MS store. I don't own an xbox and will never own a zune, so what would they possibly sell that I would want?
post #25 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's rival to the north has taken cues from the Mac maker's successful retail locations, and intends to include "Guru Bars," much like the Genius Bars created by Apple.

No....no, exactly like that ones created by Apple, Even stole 65% of the name.
I figure they chose Guru because it starts with a "G".

The real difference is when people ask questions, there will be blank stares and blaming of OEM.

Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #26 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

you forgot smelly
post #27 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretony38 View Post

Browse the Apple website and play Mac & PC ads until they make you leave.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #28 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

See?....isn't competition great?

US Government.....get out of the way and let everyone compete on equal footing.

OK. I'm done now.

Remember the US government getting out of the way in the investment and banking industry ... how's that working out for you ...?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #29 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Dude, you just did Radio Shack a disservice. :-), I would in fact prefer RS to the MS store. I don't own an xbox and will never own a zune, so what would they possibly sell that I would want?

OK, heres a huge change, for me, the biggest Apple funboy and former Apple worker bee: The new MS Courier looks very practical. Sure it's operation probably sucks, but for an electric book, it sure fits human history. To get a bigger version of an iPhone, call it, "iBook" say, will be dangerous. Think of it this way; you're reading your favorite book in bed and fall asleep. Your iBook falls on the floor and you get out of bed in the morning and step on it! I can hear the Genius say, "$899!". Or your at school with your iBook and you turn to answer the blonde in the desk behind you. Your iBook slides off the formica desk onto the hard linoleum floor! The Genius response is the same! The MS Courier (named after an early Mac font from 1984) will take a fall much better than a bigger iPhone. Plus, I love the form factor of having a real, open book to read! For hundreds of years we have used this format and it works. To tote it around, you fold it and take a walk. The cool looking big form iPhone will have to travel in a case, which covers the coolness, and once you slide it out to use it, it will be just as slippery as any iPhone, but perhaps worse! So for lots of practical reasons, the Courier fills the bill! Plus using a quill to write is as old as civilization. (I still have a Newton 100, and we had to use EasyPay at Apple-both used the quill for input!) Now, having said that, I will choose the easiest and slickest device for an eBook, but the Courier form factor does look far better than a blown up iPhone! Plus, I'm a serious book and blog reader, not interested in wasting time shooting at drug addicted stick figures with shading! (Phil told us how so many people are wasting the Touch capacities instead of just using a dedicated PSP!)
post #30 of 113
Quote:

post #31 of 113
Quote:

Sounds like a blast! Can I come? We can stand next to each other and compare features. Awesome!
post #32 of 113
let the games begin.

MS store is going to be very interesting. MS will sell MS software products, but what hardware will their sell (except xbox, intelligent mouse & Zune/Zune HD) and what computer hardware, Sony, Dell, Gateway, HP etc.

So will you have a support staff from each hardware provider, Hmmm

Lastly, if you are one of these people, who stuck by MS until you got to the last straw, you will remember this line (similar to this)

MS: Yes I am MS support representative, how can I help You.
Soul: I am having problems with my windows operating system and it will not start up.
MS: What is the problem with your operating system
Soul: As i said before it will not start-up
MS: Have tried to open it in safe mode
Soul: Yes, it will not start up
MS: Sorry, it must be hardware issue, ring your hardware vendor for support. I Hope we have been of service to you in fixing your problem.
post #33 of 113
There's no actual "rivaly" here because only a certified moron would be impressed by the offerings of a shameless copycat like Microsoft. So Apple isn't really interested in attracting the customers who would be tempted by Microsoft's warmed-over, rip-off products and services. So let the morons go to the Microsoft Store. That's where they belong.
post #34 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Remember the US government getting out of the way in the investment and banking industry ... how's that working out for you ...?

Ironical there was nothing but government involvement in that whole thing.
ie, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank.

Fanny May, was created by the government, and banks were told loan to minorities or else.
post #35 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Browse the Apple website and play Mac & PC ads until they make you leave.

I love it! Get it to freeze while playing them, that way the only way to stop the video is reboot.

I won't be surprised if some crafty devils bring in thumb-drives with a few "special" files loaded on them , just for MS.
post #36 of 113
Pretty soon sales execs at Microshit will realize you can't have a hip store selling outdated, dull and boring merchandize.
post #37 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Ironical there was nothing but government involvement in that whole thing.
ie, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank.

Fanny May, was created by the government, and banks were told loan to minorities or else.

It was not minorities that cause the banking issue, middle class people also suffered due mortgages that were being sold to them way above their incomes, if the rates changed.

I noticed that number of people in USA (not saying all), but ones I encountered borrowed to the max and had the flashiest house, car and lifestyle and lived from paycheck to paycheck. I asked about that to a US colleague and he said that pretty much standard with number of people.

I doubt it was only minorities that caused the crash, since that's what your statement implies.
post #38 of 113
The comment regarding the government forcing banks to lend to minorities is a right-wing straw-man that has nothing behind it. The act in question was first put in sometime in the late 70s/early 80s. If that's what caused the problems, then it's the slowest time bomb in history.

Try another line of attack if you must - that one's total BS.
post #39 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post

The comment regarding the government forcing banks to lend to minorities is a right-wing straw-man that has nothing behind it. The act in question was first put in sometime in the late 70s/early 80s. If that's what caused the problems, then it's the slowest time bomb in history.

Try another line of attack if you must - that one's total BS.

you expressed it better then me and I agree!!
post #40 of 113
It's probably just a minor update like Apple has been known to do from time to time. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they held off on doing certain renovations until Microsoft had committed to its retail layout.

If Apple is planning a more significant change, then this is a great way of doing it. Microsoft's plans were probably pretty flexible up until the point they actually started building, so Apple would have been wise not to tip their hand and hold off on any updates until it's too late for Microsoft to emulate them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple prepares for first Microsoft store by updating its own