or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday - Page 3

post #81 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

When is your phone ever off network? Do you log in to make your phone calls?

When it's powered off, when it's in airplane mode, when I'm in a building or other area where there's no service, etc., etc.
post #82 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

An internet server?
What makes you think it does?
What's the domain?

Teck, you usually do your research beforehand. In the case of SMS and MMS, they go through gateways (server) exactly like email. Each cell carrier has their own plus there are a few independent messaging services as well. All the major carriers have a cooperation and agreements to allow cross carrier messaging and short numbers. Even Apple, AOL have their own gateways. I even have my own gateway where my customers can send SMS to anyone right through my Linux box with a Nokia phone connect through USB.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're from Brooklyn and don't know cellphones aren't even allowed in public schools?
All you facts are based on your own useage and assumptions, and you generalize based on your own history. Baseless.

Calm down teck. I can tell you that as a teacher, most parents tell their kids to ignore that rule. It falls in the same realm of reasoning as telling a parent that when their kid gets hit, they need to be passive and go tell an adult instead of defending themselves. The rule gets made but the parents and kids circumvent it. The parents tell them to put the phone on vibrate and check it in between periods for messages. Short of installing something to stop cell signals, the schools have lost this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

At this point I'm beginning to think TenoBell has no friends.

I'm sure he does and I'm sure his experiences are true for him. To me though they couldn't be "typical." If I see a group or real estate agents having lunch together I'm sure every single one of them would have a smart phone. I suspect the same would be true of financial services and several other fields. A large percentage of us aren't single or childless at his age which I suspect he still happens to be.

It doesn't make one wrong, but it isn't typical.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

An internet server?
What makes you think it does?
What's the domain?

As a side note completely unrelated to your message. :-)...I use the message app Beejive. When I first bought it 2 months ago I would send a pic and they would get a link to the pic...but, they couldn't open it. About 2 weeks ago, I tried again and it worked. Go figure
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That depends. If it's a message from and to AT&T customers, att.com, most likely, since I doubt they are outsourcing it. (Obviously, messages to phones on other networks have to be transfered to that carrier before they can be delivered.)

What makes me think it does? Because if my phone is off the network when someone sends me a message, they don't get an error and the message doesn't just disappear. There's obviously a store and forward mechanism, similar to email.

No. MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

As a side note completely unrelated to your message. :-)...I use the message app Beejive. When I first bought it 2 months ago I would send a pic and they would get a link to the pic...but, they couldn't open it. About 2 weeks ago, I tried again and it worked. Go figure

did they get a link to something like wap.cingular.com?
post #87 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'll give you a reason many people use SMS/MMS much more over email and it has nothing to do with any of the strange rationalizations posted above, SMS/MMS is by its very nature a PUSH service. Apple still is trying to get Push right, especially with email.

It has nothing to do with age or with income. It has everything to do with knowing that the message will be delivered immediately and when it does the person on the other in will be notified and almost always respond to it immediately.

Who cares if it is the only option or best? .

I agree the simpleness and immediacy is apart of the reason why it has become so popular. Email push is not an Apple service. Its a service from the email provider.

It does have to do with age and income. The overwhelmingly largest group of SMS users are below 25. Most of that demographic don't have smartphones.

If you want to have a discussion about how the iPhone needs MMS, you cannot ignore the fact that MMS is not the only way to send media from a phone.

Quote:
Does anyone on here really have any kids or friends that have kids? There is a reason the kids all use text messaging. It is because they do not offer unlimited family plan calling minute plans but they do offer unlimited texting for family plans. When everyone in the family can text until their brains pop out for $20-$30 but unlimited calling is often still $50-99 per phone, it is easy to see which option most families tell their kids to avail themselves of in their need to stay in touch with their friends.

I don't believe this is the primary reason for the popularity of texting. If you are on Verizon or AT&T you have at tens of millions of people that you can make free calls to. Texting can be a easier and more convenient than placing a phone call. You send someone a message and they are free to answer it at their convenience.


Quote:
Tenobell when most of us GROW UP, it isn't about just what we can buy ourselves with our money. It is often what do we have to buy the other members of the household including those who do not earn any money as well. This is where the imperfect compromises that make up MMS and SMS make sense.

This is exactly the same thing I said.

Quote:
It is just about communication. Ever had little brother tattle on big sister when she folds her skirt at the waist to make it shorter or leaves the house wearing lip gloss but arrives at school wearing lip stick? Ever had the wife out shopping and send you a pic of something she is considering purchasing and wants your thoughts? Ever had a friend send you pics of what you are missing when you stay home Friday instead of going out? MMS works fine for all of these situations and they are profoundly common. At least they are in the circles in which I run.

Most of my friends post these types of pictures on Flickr or Facebook. Posting once is a lot easier than sending to multiple numbers.
post #88 of 129
It's true my experiece is "my experience". It's true the majority of my group are young professionals who are likely a bit above the national income average.

For work I frequently travel all over the country. I have just as many friends in California as I have in New York. Most everyone has smartphones. Mostly all use facebook, most all email and SMS. Few to none use MMS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm sure he does and I'm sure his experiences are true for him. To me though they couldn't be "typical." If I see a group or real estate agents having lunch together I'm sure every single one of them would have a smart phone. I suspect the same would be true of financial services and several other fields. A large percentage of us aren't single or childless at his age which I suspect he still happens to be.

It doesn't make one wrong, but it isn't typical.
post #89 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree the simpleness and immediacy is apart of the reason why it has become so popular. Email push is not an Apple service. Its a service from the email provider.

Others cannot provide the service if Apple does not provide the framework. That was the point.

Quote:
It does have to do with age and income. The overwhelmingly largest group of SMS users are below 25. Most of that demographic don't have smartphones.

You seem to keep making this into an "or" decision when for most people it is an "and" decision. People can want MMS AND email. It doesn't have to be MMS OR email.

Quote:
If you want to have a discussion about how the iPhone needs MMS, you cannot ignore the fact that MMS is not the only way to send media from a phone.

Who claimed this?

Quote:
I don't believe this is the primary reason for the popularity of texting. If you are on Verizon or AT&T you have at tens of millions of people that you can make free calls to. Texting can be a easier and more convenient than placing a phone call. You send someone a message and they are free to answer it at their convenience.

Tell that to the 16 year old on Verizon who has a boyfriend on AT&T. In every household I know, the priority is clear. Voice minutes are for parents. Cell phones for the kids are mostly electronic leash and so the kids do everything with text.

Quote:
Most of my friends post these types of pictures on Flickr or Facebook. Posting once is a lot easier than sending to multiple numbers.

You show why sometimes using an app isn't as convenient. On my LG Dare I sent pictures to contacts, Flickr and Facebook all at the same time. It was just about adding another contact to the outgoing message. If I had to go into my facebook app, then go into my flickr app and then send an email, that would be very annoying.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #90 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

it's too bad the Pre can't multitask like the iPhone can, I like consulting the Internet during phone calls without having to hang up and call back.

In that, it's jut like all other CDMA based phones.
post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Teck, you usually do your research beforehand. In the case of SMS and MMS, they go through gateways (server) exactly like email. Each cell carrier has their own plus there are a few independent messaging services as well. All the major carriers have a cooperation and agreements to allow cross carrier messaging and short numbers. Even Apple, AOL have their own gateways. I even have my own gateway where my customers can send SMS to anyone right through my Linux box with a Nokia phone connect through USB.

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \
post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Calm down teck. I can tell you that as a teacher, most parents tell their kids to ignore that rule. It falls in the same realm of reasoning as telling a parent that when their kid gets hit, they need to be passive and go tell an adult instead of defending themselves. The rule gets made but the parents and kids circumvent it. The parents tell them to put the phone on vibrate and check it in between periods for messages. Short of installing something to stop cell signals, the schools have lost this one.

In NYC, it's no rule, it's LAW.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9926538-7.html

You get caught with a cellphone here and you're in a lot of trouble. Trust me- I know a lot a parents here.
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Teck, you usually do your research beforehand. In the case of SMS and MMS, they go through gateways (server) exactly like email. Each cell carrier has their own plus there are a few independent messaging services as well. All the major carriers have a cooperation and agreements to allow cross carrier messaging and short numbers. Even Apple, AOL have their own gateways. I even have my own gateway where my customers can send SMS to anyone right through my Linux box with a Nokia phone connect through USB.

Ok then why is it faster? Or appear so? What makes email drag if not server clogging?
post #94 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Does anyone on here really have any kids or friends that have kids? There is a reason the kids all use text messaging. It is because they do not offer unlimited family plan calling minute plans but they do offer unlimited texting for family plans. When everyone in the family can text until their brains pop out for $20-$30 but unlimited calling is often still $50-99 per phone, it is easy to see which option most families tell their kids to avail themselves of in their need to stay in touch with their friends.

Also there can be a large DISadvantage to voice and email when in areas where the coverage is questionable. You get yourself down to that last bar and voice may not work nor will 3g data be available but a phone can still often send out a text/pic.

Tenobell when most of us GROW UP, it isn't about just what we can buy ourselves with our money. It is often what do we have to buy the other members of the household including those who do not earn any money as well. This is where the imperfect compromises that make up MMS and SMS make sense.

It is just about communication. Ever had little brother tattle on big sister when she folds her skirt at the waist to make it shorter or leaves the house wearing lip gloss but arrives at school wearing lip stick? Ever had the wife out shopping and send you a pic of something she is considering purchasing and wants your thoughts? Ever had a friend send you pics of what you are missing when you stay home Friday instead of going out? MMS works fine for all of these situations and they are profoundly common. At least they are in the circles in which I run.

My daughter and her friends mostly text because it's easier than talking on the phone much of the time. It has little to do with cost here.

Texting was used in Japan first in any real way because kids DID need the cheapest way of talking to their friends, and in Japan, calling was too expensive. same thing in Europe. The same thing isn't really true here because of the fact that termination fees are paid by the recipient rather than by the telco as it is in other places. Because of that, voice calls are much cheaper for those who make them. People don't really consider that people are paying on the other end when they call.
post #95 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're from Brooklyn and don't know cellphones aren't even allowed in public schools?
All you facts are based on your own useage and assumptions, and you generalize based on your own history. Baseless.

But except for the few school that are scanning schools, that practice isn't enforced strictly. Yes, if someone pulls a phone out in school, and a teacher sees it, then it's taken away, and the parent has to come and get it. But kids take their phones to school with them because parents insist on it, and it's not exactly like kids are going to complain about that one parental order.
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

An internet server?
What makes you think it does?
What's the domain?

It does.

I don't know why people don't simply look something up when a question arises instead of acting as though it's so difficult.

The is on you.

Firstly, for being lazy.

Secondly, for being sarcastic without knowing what you are talking about, and being wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service
post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My daughter and her friends mostly text because it's easier than talking on the phone much of the time. It has little to do with cost here.

Texting was used in Japan first in any real way because kids DID need the cheapest way of talking to their friends, and in Japan, calling was too expensive. same thing in Europe. The same thing isn't really true here because of the fact that termination fees are paid by the recipient rather than by the telco as it is in other places. Because of that, voice calls are much cheaper for those who make them. People don't really consider that people are paying on the other end when they call.

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can say texting is not easier and faster as a mutitasking performer than sending an email. Either while on your computer at work or washing dishes at home- there are simply less fields to fill out. And not everyone responds to emails with the original so many times you have know way of knowing what they are talking about or responding to.
post #98 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It does.

I don't know why people don't simply look something up when a question arises instead of acting as though it's so difficult.

The is on you.

Firstly, for being lazy.

Secondly, for being sarcastic without knowing what you are talking about, and being wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Well it took you long enough.
I'm not lazy- I'm just busy at work.
post #99 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No. MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.
post #100 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \

It goes through a server. You asked if that was true, with some skepticism, and the answer is yes, which you would have found out for yourself in 20 seconds, if you had tried.
post #101 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can say texting is not easier and faster as a mutitasking performer than sending an email. Either while on your computer at work or washing dishes at home- there are simply less fields to fill out. And not everyone responds to emails with the original so many times you have know way of knowing what they are talking about or responding to.

It may be a tiny bit faster, but it isn't as good.

If you don't need good, as I've already said, then use MMS. But when you do need good, you have to use e-mail.

MMS isn't useful to all phones that have it either. That's something that hasn't been resolved yet, and may never be. So as far as versatility goes, it still leaves something to be desired.

I know the same thing is true for e-mail, but it seems as though manufacturers are fixing that problem faster.
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well it took you long enough.
I'm not lazy- I'm just busy at work.

It takes less time to type "MMS" into Google and get the links, one up right near the top gave the answer, then it took to write your post and click on the "send" button.

Then you wouldn't have needed to spend all this time posting me, and some others about how you are so busy at work that you couldn't spare the time to do it.

Could have saved us some time too.
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.


Yes I read it like 4 hours ago-
Direct from Wiki-
Quote:
most carriers allow MIME encoded message to be sent to the receiver's phone number with a special domain

.

and exactly how is that the same as an email server, all knowing one?
post #104 of 129
I haven't read the whole thread. However, am I the only person that has this macabre desire to see AT&T's network come to nightmarish, crashing halt on Friday? I don't know why. Maybe I'm sick. I would just love to see people on the news, having a fit about no signal, dropped calls, no MMS, phones exploding, cell towers on fire, executives crying, etc. I'm talking complete meltdown here. All because a few thousand iPhone users sent a picture of their cats at the same time.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #105 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It takes less time to type "MMS" into Google and get the links, one up right near the top gave the answer, then it took to write your post and click on the "send" button.

Then you wouldn't have needed to spend all this time posting me, and some others about how you are so busy at work that you couldn't spare the time to do it.

Could have saved us some time too.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how both "servers" are exactly the same.
All your meandering all over the place is not exactly time saving.
post #106 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It may be a tiny bit faster, but it isn't as good.

If you don't need good, as I've already said, then use MMS. But when you do need good, you have to use e-mail.

MMS isn't useful to all phones that have it either. That's something that hasn't been resolved yet, and may never be. So as far as versatility goes, it still leaves something to be desired.

I know the same thing is true for e-mail, but it seems as though manufacturers are fixing that problem faster.

So now you imply that Apple is delivering something that's mediocre at best?
God please make up your mind!
post #107 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, you got there before me.

Well, maybe multiple posts will enforce his understanding.

And it looks like it isn't working
post #108 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But except for the few school that are scanning schools, that practice isn't enforced strictly. Yes, if someone pulls a phone out in school, and a teacher sees it, then it's taken away, and the parent has to come and get it. But kids take their phones to school with them because parents insist on it, and it's not exactly like kids are going to complain about that one parental order.

A few schools??????? Make things up much?

It's enforced on the Upper East Side down in the East Village- maybe not in Corona or where ever you dwell.
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And it looks like it isn't working

Apple giving us something that you both are too old to understand the use for and you both can't post a logical reason why it's popular- SPEED.
post #110 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm still waiting for you to explain how both "servers" are exactly the same.
All your meandering all over the place is not exactly time saving.

OMG, are you really this obtuse? Or just trying to cover up the fact that you thought, "MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone?" (Which I guess is the same thing.)

No one said that SMTP and MMS are the same thing or that the same daemons support both. What was said was that they both use the exact same store and forward pattern of routing messages through servers.
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

OMG, are you really this obtuse? Or just trying to cover up the fact that you thought, "MMS magically fly through space and appear on your phone?" (Which I guess is the same thing.)

No one said that SMTP and MMS are the same thing or that the same daemons support both. What was said was that they both use the exact same store and forward pattern of routing messages through servers.

Are you that daft? I never thought nor said that- show me where? So your a mind reader now besides being misinformer? I said it's not the same as an internet server. Why are you twisting things and making them up? Show me exactly where I said that or forever be branded a liar.
LATER.
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple giving us something that you both are too old to understand the use for and you both can't post a logical reason why it's popular- SPEED.

Don't try to spin this around and get away. It is about you and your inability to comprehend what you read

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes I read it like 4 hours ago-
Direct from Wiki-
.
"most carriers allow MIME encoded message to be sent to the receiver's phone number with a special domain"

and exactly how is that the same as an email server, all knowing one?

Did you even try to understand what this Wikipedia quote means?!

It simply means that carriers will give their users an email with their phone number like "yournumber@mobile.att.com". Was it so hard?!
post #113 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Are you that daft? I never thought nor said that- show me where? So your a mind reader now besides being misinformer? I said it's not the same as an internet server. Why are you twisting things and making them up? Show me exactly where I said that or forever be branded a liar.
LATER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know texting is defintely faster from my experiences and I would think MMS will be the same. At least is was with Verizon. But wouldn't it be theroretically anyway- no server to go through, etc, etc?

This will help you remember.
post #114 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Are you that daft? I never thought nor said that- show me where? So your a mind reader now besides being misinformer? I said it's not the same as an internet server. Why are you twisting things and making them up? Show me exactly where I said that or forever be branded a liar.
LATER.

HAHAHAHAHA! You really are a piece of work!
post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This will help you remember.

That would be email server. Look you still haven't explained why its faster. I was posting a question not stating fact. Distort much?
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And those 2 servers are exactly the same?And the content of a text message is the exact same size as an email's using the exact same message? Email and phone networks? And you're asking me to do my research? \

Yes for all practical purposes they are the same. The two servers, mail and sms, have many more things in common than they have differences. Sure if you want to be technical about it Sendmail is for mail and Kannel is for sms. They both run as daemons on a Linux box. They both send, receive, store and forward messages. What is your problem anyway? I guess expecting you to not be a jack ass is just too much of a leap.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #117 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes I read it like 4 hours ago-
Direct from Wiki-
.

and exactly how is that the same as an email server, all knowing one?

No one said it was the same as an e-mail server, or different from one.

You denied that is used a server, and we all showed you that you were all wrong.
post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I haven't read the whole thread. However, am I the only person that has this macabre desire to see AT&T's network come to nightmarish, crashing halt on Friday? I don't know why. Maybe I'm sick. I would just love to see people on the news, having a fit about no signal, dropped calls, no MMS, phones exploding, cell towers on fire, executives crying, etc. I'm talking complete meltdown here. All because a few thousand iPhone users sent a picture of their cats at the same time.


I must say, I do share this sick fantasy, especially the executives crying. I plan to send all sorts of pictures of my cat on Friday.

....if only to free me up to move to VZ!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Reply
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Reply
post #119 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No one said it was the same as an e-mail server, or different from one.

You denied that is used a server, and we all showed you that you were all wrong.

I never denied anything. I posted a question- I didn't know . I was busy at work. You never showed me anything . Dream on.
I'm still waiting for you to explain why a SMS message is faster than an email if not because of their server differences. YOu have still failed to answer this question.
post #120 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

I must say, I do share this sick fantasy, especially the executives crying. I plan to send all sorts of pictures of my cat on Friday.

....if only to free me up to move to VZ!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider

It will crash- we will succeed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday