or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line - Page 5

post #161 of 486
Very bad news

I would prefer a february update with Arrandale CPUs

Arrandale =
- cooler than Clarksfield (easier to put in iMac, MB, MBP)
- cooler than C2D if you disable the integrated GPU
- a lot cheaper (1000$ high end Clarksfield vs 332$ high end Arrandale)
- faster clock than Clarksfield (better for apps not multi core optimized like games)
- (integrated GPU for MB)

and February = chance to get an ATI 58xx option (or nVidia GT300)

Links:
Arrandale
ATI radeon 58xx (desktop version)


-*
post #162 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Seriously though, does anyone outside of gear hounds think in terms of "yesterday's technology", especially when it comes to chip sets?

In a word, no. In two words, no and no.

Most of the ads I see for Windows PCs don't even mention clock speed anymore.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #163 of 486
Will it have a user replaceable hard drive?
post #164 of 486
Quote:
You're talking about the lower chips in the line.

I think anyone with sense if talking about quad core chips and cpu power that is available in machines costing half the price of an iMac.

*Shrugs. Don't let reality get in the way of zealout.

It beggars reason that Apple will STILL offer dual core iMacs. What's that, Toto? A SECOND side-grade for the iMac in the space of a year?

Blue ray? Whoop. Dual core? Whoop. Some low end gpu? Whoop.

A trimming of the price they grossly inflated here in the UK?

Trim a millimetre off the bezel? Whoop.

A ******************* disgrace of an upgrade.

Still, it hasn't landed. Who knows. Maybe some i7 'hyper-threaded' class cpu may land in the high end.

Looks like the model of '08 still reigns supreme. I can't say I'm glad about that fact. I'd rather the iMac move forwards. Still with the style over substance.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #165 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Hello, greater than 90% of the computer market is Windows based PCs - where do you think the greatest concentration of consumer use of computers are then? So yes, consumer use of Macs is a recent trend. Macs are still mostly (until I see numbers to the contrary) used by people who made them popular in the first place - graphics professionals, movie makers, desktop publishers, and scientists - all people that are more demanding of their equipment than your average web browsing, Microsoft Word processing user (who for the most part are using Windows PCs). Plus the consumer side of the computer market is a very small percentage of the overall computer market which is dominated by business use of computers - and business users are more demanding of their computers than the average home user.

I would think that this assumption about who uses/buys Macs is wrong as it pertains to the mac market and Apple's growth objectives. Your belief that because most PCs are corporately bought (not sure but sounds plausible) is most likely the opposite for Macs. Look at the growth in Mac sales and your gut feel seems very out of place. Christmas quarter 2003 - 829K macs sold, same Q 2008 2.3M macs sold. 2003 was when Apple was much more supported by the traditional "Pro" crowd.
Of the 1.5M more macs sold now (in a quarter), hardly any would be going to traditional mac "pro user" shops, who if anything have been drifting away from the Mac as Adobe software etc. gets better for PCs. With the advent of the Apple Stores, most of those are going to consumers and prosumers (incl students), with some growth in institutional education. Corporate Mac penetration remains very low.

Consumers are the vastly bigger segment of the Apple pie right now and likely for a long time to come. Corporate and Govt sales ops in Apple are weak at best (esp. vs. Dell, HP and in-house IT departments).

The financial argument (from Apple's PoV) for an xMac has been debunked many times. Margins on standard PC boxes are razor thin and apple would struggle to differentiate theirs. It would inevitably cannibalize profitable iMac sales and would be a net negative to every P&L line except maybe revenue (which is debatable in itself). It would be a great computer (I'd buy one) but a terrible business decision. After all, Apple is not valued on a Price to Revenue basis is it? For reference Dell 2008 $61Bn rev $2.9Bn NI, Apple $32Bn rev, $4.8Bn NI. Who wants to be Dell? Note that Apple's Mac margins are not much lower than iPod/iPhone margins either.

As Consumers (non-gamers) are now the dominant Mac buyers, then you arguments hold no water since most people wandering into an Apple store could care less about the guts in the machine only that it does all their tasks lickety split! This only gets better with SL vs L so Apple are unlikely to need to go all out on hardware equivalency. Leave spec sheets to gamers and techie nerds, neither of which are a market niche Apple has ever cared about.

The niche of Pro users can still rationally evaluate whether they need a Pro, or an iMac or a PC but they are no longer the primary concern of Apple.

PS - Unrelated to the Mac market, most business users are also probably no more demanding on their computers than consumers except in the areas of durability and toughness since most PC sit around in offices doing offic-y things - nothing a pentium 4 couldn't manage unless it was trying to run Vista. Only a small proportion of the 92K users in my company need anything over a Pentium M for running complex software development runtimes etc.
post #166 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Dual core? I think most users were hoping of Core i7 based machines...

not a dual core again - please! i don't want another laptop with 24"... i want more power for $1200
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
Reply
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
Reply
post #167 of 486
Quote:
Dual core? I think most users were hoping of Core i7 based machines...
not a dual core again - please! i don't want another laptop with 24"... i want more power for $1200

No kidding.

Apple offer 3 laptops and 2 others (total of 5) masquerading as desktops. Le biscuit tin. Le laptop on a stand.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #168 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

In a word, no. In two words, no and no.

Most of the ads I see for Windows PCs don't even mention clock speed anymore.

Hey, go back to using your Apple IIe, you must still have it after 25 years of being a Mac user right? Some of us would like to do more with our computers than use VisiCalc or play Oregon Trail. Of course you probably think that the Apple IIe will run circles around any current Windows PC right?
post #169 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Hey, go back to using your Apple IIe, you must still have it after 25 years of being a Mac user right? Some of us would like to do more with our computers than use VisiCalc or play Oregon Trail. Of course you probably think that the Apple IIe will run circles around any current Windows PC right?

A nice, thoughtful reply. Always welcomed.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #170 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I would think that this assumption about who uses/buys Macs is wrong as it pertains to the mac market and Apple's growth objectives. Your belief that because most PCs are corporately bought (not sure but sounds plausible) is most likely the opposite for Macs. Look at the growth in Mac sales and your gut feel seems very out of place. Christmas quarter 2003 - 829K macs sold, same Q 2008 2.3M macs sold. 2003 was when Apple was much more supported by the traditional "Pro" crowd.
Of the 1.5M more macs sold now (in a quarter), hardly any would be going to traditional mac "pro user" shops, who if anything have been drifting away from the Mac as Adobe software etc. gets better for PCs. With the advent of the Apple Stores, most of those are going to consumers and prosumers (incl students), with some growth in institutional education. Corporate Mac penetration remains very low.

Consumers are the vastly bigger segment of the Apple pie right now and likely for a long time to come. Corporate and Govt sales ops in Apple are weak at best (esp. vs. Dell, HP and in-house IT departments).

The financial argument (from Apple's PoV) for an xMac has been debunked many times. Margins on standard PC boxes are razor thin and apple would struggle to differentiate theirs. It would inevitably cannibalize profitable iMac sales and would be a net negative to every P&L line except maybe revenue (which is debatable in itself). It would be a great computer (I'd buy one) but a terrible business decision. After all, Apple is not valued on a Price to Revenue basis is it? For reference Dell 2008 $61Bn rev $2.9Bn NI, Apple $32Bn rev, $4.8Bn NI. Who wants to be Dell? Note that Apple's Mac margins are not much lower than iPod/iPhone margins either.

As Consumers (non-gamers) are now the dominant Mac buyers, then you arguments hold no water since most people wandering into an Apple store could care less about the guts in the machine only that it does all their tasks lickety split! This only gets better with SL vs L so Apple are unlikely to need to go all out on hardware equivalency. Leave spec sheets to gamers and techie nerds, neither of which are a market niche Apple has ever cared about.

The niche of Pro users can still rationally evaluate whether they need a Pro, or an iMac or a PC but they are no longer the primary concern of Apple.

PS - Unrelated to the Mac market, most business users are also probably no more demanding on their computers than consumers except in the areas of durability and toughness since most PC sit around in offices doing offic-y things - nothing a pentium 4 couldn't manage unless it was trying to run Vista. Only a small proportion of the 92K users in my company need anything over a Pentium M for running complex software development runtimes etc.

First of all there is no "Mac Market" as I have constantly been berated on here by the like of Melgross and others - There is only the personal computer market of which Mac is a part. As of the 4th quarter of 2008, Apple only had a 3.4% of world-wide computer sales. A very tiny number, so any assumptions you make have to be taken inconsideration of that.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...rket-share.ars

Frankly it doesn't matter, because without a scientific survey by users of how they use their Macs, we will never no the true usage scenario of Macs and that's a shame because I think it could help software and hardware developers better target Apple's customers.

I never brought up the xMac, so I don't even know why you are bringing it up, it's irrelevant in this discussion.

As far as user demands of a computer - how can you compare a business user who typical runs 3 - 4 applications simultaneously for 8 hours or more a day, to a home user that uses maybe one or two applications for 2 - 3 hours a day max? Clearly the business user makes more use of their computer, requiring something more powerful than a consumer focused machine. That's why businesses use desktops and not netbooks.

PS. I know quite a few developers that would lynch you if you tried to make them use a Pentium M for software development - especially complex software development.
post #171 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A nice, thoughtful reply. Always welcomed.

Pot, meet kettle...
post #172 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Hey, go back to using your Apple IIe, you must still have it after 25 years of being a Mac user right? Some of us would like to do more with our computers than use VisiCalc or play Oregon Trail. Of course you probably think that the Apple IIe will run circles around any current Windows PC right?

So I imagine that everyone using a laptop as a primary machine, which, remember, is increasingly the norm, are doing nothing more than use VisiCalc or play Oregon Trail?

For that matter, what was everybody doing with their PC desktop computers a year ago? Using DOS so as not to bring them to their knees?

It's all well and good to want Apple to make a more powerful desktop machine. It's beyond asinine to pretend like the machines they do make are crippled and antiquated and incapable of doing "real" computing.

BTW, after you put forward your "Some of us want to......" formulation, you're supposed to say "Have fun with your blank, I'll think of you while I'm blanking with my blank."

It's right there in the Dickipedia.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #173 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Now, now. Be nice. Techstud has allergies!

So noted.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #174 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heh heh. On the matter of density, man, you have no peer! You da stud!

As I have clearly stated before: Techstud is neither.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #175 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So I imagine that everyone using a laptop as a primary machine, which, remember, is increasingly the norm, are doing nothing more than use VisiCalc or play Oregon Trail?

For that matter, what was everybody doing with their PC desktop computers a year ago? Using DOS so as not to bring them to their knees?

It's all well and good to want Apple to make a more powerful desktop machine. It's beyond asinine to pretend like the machines they do make are crippled and antiquated and incapable of doing "real" computing.

No actually I was being critical of his numerous assertions that somehow being a Mac user for 25 years (which is probably stretching the truth seeing how the first Macs cost thousands of dollars and very few people could afford them, myself included) makes him any more knowledgeable on the topic than anyone else in this discussion.

And frankly your assertion that all most users do with their computers is surf the web and maybe do a bit of word processing is equivalent to my statement about the capabilities of the Apple IIe. If you were around back then, I'm sure you would of tried to make the same argument that nobody needs more than a 68k processor when the Intel 386 came out. Yet years later, here we are, people are using, and need, faster computers every year.
post #176 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You can criticize them all you like, I'm not even defending them-- clearly, for some subset of potential customers, a laptop masquerading as a desktop isn't ideal.

However, it's simply pointless to demand that Apple put a given processor into the next iMac, make claims about what they "must" do, or generally carry on like there was some terrible deficiency in play that makes Apple look foolish.

They've been doing this for quite a while now, why would you expect them to suddenly change up their strategy? Laptop parts keep getting more capable, they can do what most people want them to do, and Apple likes to make its machines as small as possible, the end.

Apple isn't gong to abruptly make the iMac a lot thicker or noisier to accommodate desktop parts. They just aren't, that's how they roll. The arguments about what they "should" do are as old as the hills and haven't gotten any more sophisticated: Apple should make a more powerful machine that costs less.

Sure. And they will. Just not to the degree you want.

And from a profit standpoint Apple is right to deny us more powerful machines. Why? Because faster computers last longer. Selling machines that don't need to be replaced as often reduces sales. It's really simple math.

The higher income people who can afford to buy the latest new look are Apple's ONLY target market for the iMac. They don't want anyone who cares about performance per dollar, matte screens, decent GPUs or user accessible hard drive bays. All those things would cost Apple more and they believe they would not increase sales enough to compensate.

Apple has said many times they don't want to sell the most hardware; they want to sell the best. Right now they're doing neither, but have convinced a wealthy demographic that their stuff is worth paying for and that's all that matters.

What that focus does is alienate a group of people who want to run Mac OS X, but are offered no suitable hardware to put it on. A fair number of those people are regular contributors to forums such as this. We quite rightly put our own self interest first and want a machine that Apple will not make.

Apple does have one small problem with us. We're incredibly loud in our demands for something they don't want to make. Thus we have the potential to dissuade people within Apple's true target market from making purchases. Obviously Apple wants to shut us up, but the questions are how much that would cost and whether it's even achievable.

If they make a mini-tower it'll lower the complaint level to a low din, but that's the most dangerous form factor for them because it's hard to differentiate it from generic PCs and because their consumer target market would customize them and drive support costs through the roof.

Making the iMac good enough for us would take away from its appeal in the form over function demographic they currently earn so much profit from so they won't do that either.

I think they can't win and they know it. They're trying the do nothing approach and hope it's better than any of the other choices they could have made.

That leaves us with nothing but hackintosh machines. Maybe Apple wouldn't mind if we all bought one and shut up about their limited product line, but they can't seem to be supporting that option because of Psystar and their ilk.

Hoping we'll be satisfied with nothing and simply shut up is wishful thinking though.
post #177 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's right there in the Dickipedia.

Again, pot, meet kettle
post #178 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Pot, meet kettle...

Even if true, not an excuse. And not true.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #179 of 486
I really, really, really hope the dual core thing will be only for the base 20" model at most... if Apple doesn't come with a decent quad-core processor inside (Core i5 or the mobile Core i7) than this is just plain sad. Every bigger and smaller company is introducing a quad-core notebooks and Apple having the brand new multi-processor optimised Snow Leopard OS and then a sad old slow dual core processor in a revamped iMac body... please don't... please please dont! Apple can do so much better...
post #180 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Even if true, not an excuse. And not true.

Why be vague with your response, say what you mean man.

You and Addabox seem to think that Americans should be dumb and not care about what they are buying. That they should just over-pay and make Apple richer for outdated hardware.

Clearly, several other posters disagree with your sentiment. They all know the difference between 2 cores and 4 cores. It's pretty simple - 4 is more than 2 - surely you don't mean to say that Americans can't do simple math?

Just because a Hyundai Accent can do 80 MPH, doesn't mean we should trade our Ford Mustangs for one - true?

Would you rather a debate on healthcare reform? I'm sure as a doctor you could offer some valuable insight as to why or why we shouldn't reform healthcare?
post #181 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

You and Addabox seem to think that Americans should be dumb and not care about what they are buying. That they should just over-pay and make Apple richer for outdated hardware

Uh, no, I don't think that's what they're saying.

They're saying, "You live in America, which has a market economy, and no one is holding a gun to your head to buy something you don't want at a price you don't want to pay."
post #182 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Why not just make a Mac Pro Mini - with a mini aluminum enclosure with the opportunity for owners to make some hardware upgrades instead of being sealed off like most Apple products.

You'd think Apple would want to exploit Snow Leopard's Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL with new, capable hardware -- at the consumer level.

Hear, Hear!!
post #183 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As I have clearly stated before: Techstud is neither.

Otoh, if you caught a very bad pun in my post......
post #184 of 486
I mean how much longer can we be expected to tolerate the obscenely fat (7.4 inches - yecchh!) current iMacs?

If they don't make it thinner soon, I'm switching to Windows!
post #185 of 486
Does anyone else find the port locations to be extremely irritating? I don't keep my iPhone cable plugged into my iMac all the time because i use the cable along with the AC Charger adapter. When I have to sync I'm constantly having to dig into the back by feel to find the USB port.

Same with headphone's when my bluetooth headset is charging. I have to resort to the cord variety and it again requires digging around into the back to find it.

Here's hoping they at least move it to a side, or the lower front, or something.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #186 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Who buys specs? Some perhaps, but this is not the market for the iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The average buyer checks out a machine and makes a judgement based on a variety of factors-- price, looks, ease of use, apparent quality, etc.

For a lot of people, an all in one machine that looks great and does everything they want it to in a snappy fashion is exactly what they want. They have no idea and could care less where the innards fall within Intel's lineup. It's been a while since pretty much any system sold (excepting netbooks) didn't have plenty of power to do what most people do with their computers [/I]

Oh, I think it's pretty clear what they are saying. The average American is dumb and can't figure out that a $1500 computer is better than a $300 netbook if it looks all pretty and has a big shiny Apple logo on it.

Please, even my mother-in-law and grandmother can read the spec card on a display and are able to compare one computer to another and if there is something they don't understand, they know enough to ask someone who is knowledgeable and have them help them buy the "better" computer.
post #187 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Does anyone else find the port locations to be extremely irritating? I don't keep my iPhone cable plugged into my iMac all the time because i use the cable along with the AC Charger adapter. When I have to sync I'm constantly having to dig into the back by feel to find the USB port.

Same with headphone's when my bluetooth headset is charging. I have to resort to the cord variety and it again requires digging around into the back to find it.

Here's hoping they at least move it to a side, or the lower front, or something.

Noooooo - leave them on the back. I hate seeing open ports visible on a computer. I'd much rather grope around or turn the thing slightly than give up the clean appearance of the iMac.
post #188 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Please, even my mother-in-law and grandmother can read the spec card on a display and are able to compare one computer to another and if there is something they don't understand, they know enough to ask someone who is knowledgeable and have them help them buy the "better" computer.

Just as they should! And that will teach Apple a lesson, no?

What's the problem here? What exactly are you complaining about?
post #189 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

No kidding.

Apple offer 3 laptops and 2 others (total of 5) masquerading as desktops. Le biscuit tin. Le laptop on a stand.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #190 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob; Pity the agnostic dyslectic.

As I have clearly stated before: Techstud is neither.

Again- change you byline dude. I's really disgusting and offensive. I'm surprised you're not banned out of here for degrading people with disabilities.
And you fail to insult or amuse. Shu!
post #191 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Otoh, if you caught a very bad pun in my post......

Oh I am soo offended by your lame insults. Please stop - I can't take it. You are so AWSUM!
post #192 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Because glare iMacs are the only thing offered- Are you that dense?

He may be dense, but your answer fails.
Why is Apple selling MORE glossy screens then they EVER sold of the matte screens, when people could, instead, buy any number of other computers with matte screens available on the market?
post #193 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heh heh. On the matter of density, man, you have no peer! You da stud!

YOur insults are soo clever and imaginative. Too bad you have nothing to add of consequence to the thread itself.
Matte is back and Apple's never going back!
post #194 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

He may be dense, but your answer fails.
Why is Apple selling MORE glossy screens then they EVER sold of the matte screens, when people could, instead, buy any number of other computers with matte screens available on the market?

OMG- not you too!!!
OK here goes:-= Almost 2 1/2 years ago there was like this new invention from Apple called (let me remember)- oh yes, the iPhone!
And wouldn't you know this caused a lot of- switchers!!. Also in this period there was something released from Microsoft (what was it called?) - oh yes- VISTA!!!!
Both of these caused - what? ANs: A ton of SWITCHERS!!! Got it?
This cause more Mac - BUYERS!!! got it!! Glossy screened iMacs were the only new iMacs available in that period.
You don't need a degree in brain surgery to figure this out.
JEESH!
post #195 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just as they should! And that will teach Apple a lesson, no?

What's the problem here? What exactly are you complaining about?

My god- you're relentless. Thank god it's just not me.
post #196 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

He may be dense, but your answer fails.
Why is Apple selling MORE glossy screens then they EVER sold of the matte screens, when people could, instead, buy any number of other computers with matte screens available on the market?

Let me ask you -Why is APple selling matte screens on the 17 " Pro- NOW?
Why did they quietly add matte to the 15" Pro - NOW?
post #197 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Yup... I cannot crossgrade from a tower to an iMac until they have more than 2 cores...

Shame I cannot afford the towers anymore either. What a pain...

I really they hope they have some quad-cores as BTO options.

I believe Intel has officially introduced i7 platform for notebooks recently, so there is no reason why iMacs wouldn't have any.

Well, no real reason at least \
post #198 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

I dunno... as far as a desktop screen that you sit 1 1/2 feet from I think anything bigger than 24" starts to demand you sit further away from the screen, which starts to negate the whole desktop idea and starts to look like a TV. I use 2 monitors for the extra screen real-estate, but neither is bigger than 24".

Anyone currently using a 27" or 30" monitor as their main display? How is it sitting that close to such a big screen?

Uh, I believe Mr Magoo is.
post #199 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Dual core? I think most users were hoping of Core i7 based machines...

Most users here. Most users over on MacRumors perhaps. most users in the whole market, probably not

Most users want a machine that works for what they want to do. whether it has a dual core i7 or a quad core i2 or whatever matters little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

A feature or option that either is or isn't present will cause the usual suspects to declare the new iMac line a D.O.A. deal killer.

no shite sherlock and watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A little early, but right on time for Christmas.

actually not early at all. if they release now folks have time to do the budget math before they start shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Indeed but if the rumour that they are thinner is true...will the machines handle the heat?

assuming that thinner means front to back, don't you think they would have a solution for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post



Very amusing. Like they were authorized to discuss the matter at all.

indeedy deed. if this is real, whoever is saying anything ain't going into details for one reason only. details would get him/her/them totally caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

In addition, I've noticed that Amazon has been out of the high end Mac mini for the last 5 days. It makes me wonder if they've depleted that inventory so the high end Mac mini can be upgraded a bit more to set itself apart.

something I am curious about. is Amazon running their own warehouses for this stuff. it makes some sense. they buy in bulk and they might get a better discount. if so, then it begs the question are they out because the model has been cut by Apple to run down the old and make way for the new. or is it out because Amazon, believing the rumors, didn't buy more thinking they were about to get stuck with old machines.

after all, we haven't had the flurry of rumors from Best Buy and such about being told the current models were in short supply etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

But, anyway, what Apple should do is revamp the MacMini

i don't know about your specs but I do agree that the MacMini could handle a boast. it isn't even up to the specs of the 13" Macbook pro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Goddbye- you fugly racconed iMac. Begone with the black border once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This has to mean that disgusting black eye-lined racoon is finally gone!!!!!!! Rejoice!!!!

just for that, I hope they keep the 'raccoon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

SD card slot, just like the laptops.

dear god no. make it a generic slot and let us pick

or do the SD on the low end and make the upper users choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

You're all formally invited to my iMac Launch Party. I'm working on a video now. I need one black guy, one older woman, a hottie, and a nerd. It's important to show that being hip crosses all ethnic and socioeconomic lines.

will there be activities.

Quote:
I actually hope they don't have Blue-Ray. We need to move towards solid state anyhow. No moving parts. Steve Jobs can continue to encourage the industry to move towards fatter pipes so we can stream this stuff. Or get it to fit on new, higher capacity SD cards.

something folks keep forgetting about with the Blu-ray issue. the Itunes store. they just upgraded the movies on the store to this new 'extras' business. why? to promote downloads over disks.

if they go and put in a built in blu-ray they are backpedaling on this issue.

now I could see them perhaps updating SL to work with an external drive for those that insist. or perhaps an internal option for the Pro for the business users. but an internal in the mini and imacs I can't see, at least not as a standard option

Quote:
Get it all under $2K, including Apple Care.

or crazier thought. dump Apple Care as an add on. just make the warranty 3 years, same conditions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRevolution View Post

No no no! Apple has GOT to start using desktop chips in the iMacs.

Because you say so. You are typical of the smaller part of the market that Apple is going after with the imacs. the folks they are going after don't care about the chip type, number of chips etc. they glaze over and tune out. what they care about is that they can do what they want without the computer freezing or taking all night for a simple task. and that the computer won't be obsolete in 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Or look at this post and see the fanbois ready to take whatever Apple throws at them.

actually some of us have the business sense to see what Apple is up to with the line and where the focus is and we understand that what folks here are demanding is not what the focus audience is going to care about.

Apple Retail trains their peeps to ask 'what are you looking to do with your computer'. spend enough time in the stores and you hear that question in one form or another enough to know that this has been pounded into the sales people. they are like robots saying it. why do they ask. because the answer gives them the data of consumer/prosumer/professional. And they have whole subteams for the professionals and the businesses. and guess what desktop sells the most for that group. the Mac Pro. the iMacs are going to the parents that want a game machine for the kids, or grandma that needs that 20" screen to see what she's doing.

So when Apple is making design calls about the iMac (and even the Mini to some degree) they are looking at the answers to that question. Yes there are some professionals that use iMacs. Heck I work freelance for an editing house that does PSA and Industrials and I run Final Cut Studio on a 3.06 iMac with a second LED display hooked up to it. Would I love to have an imac with a bigger hard drive, faster processor and an esata connection. Heck yeah I would. Do I expect them to. No. Because I know that my needs are not typical of the market. I would settle for a cheaper starting price on the Mac Pro since the company can't quite afford the towers and would rather not lease (although I think I have them about convinced on that route)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

If that is true, than the Mac market has done a complete 180 from where it was even just a couple of years ago. Mac users have always been more computer literate, pursuing bleeding-edge technology since the early days of desktop publishing. Most of the Mac users I know and have supported always went out and bought the latest stuff as soon as it came out - that is how Apple earned its brand loyalty.

those folks are still there. but they are a small part of the potential market. For Apple to grow in share they need to get the non techies as well.

Quote:
The advent of consumer use of Macs is a recent trend

define recent. cause the whole One-to-One program was started to deal with the growing consumer count among Mac users. in fact the whole Apple Retail was to snag those consumer users that were PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

No kids...

funny you say that. cause my best friend is a caterer with 3 kids who use the family computer for homework, games etc.

and guess where that computer is. mounted on the wall at the end of the breakfast bar where Shel can use it for cooking podcasts, invoicing etc. AND keep an eye on what the kids are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I personally like Apple's preoccupation with elegance (thinness) and less cables for that matter.

actually Pucca and Garu want me to tell you that they are pissed about that change. now they have fewer cables to play with. Especially when I went wireless and keep the keyboard and mouse in a drawer when I am not at home.

although it is fun to 'back to my mac' and flip the camera on and scare them off the desk.

Quote:
I used to think the white intel iMac was the 'bee's knees' until I got accustomed to the aluminum iteration. Now the white looks somewhat dated.

not to mention that it's easier to paint the alum casing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Glare is an issue. WHy do you think they still use the old cinema display in Apple class on Fifth Avenue? So everyone can see it. You can't see it from every angle with all that glare. YOu have to constantly move it .
I'll take my white matte iMac screen anyday over the current screen.
Why do you think matte is back on the Pros?

note that matte is not back on all of them. only the highest end that the business users were getting has matte in the box. the rest you have to custom order online. however it does show that Apple is willing to test the issue. As I hope they will with at least the high end iMacs and the LED display. Because sometimes we aren't at liberty to move things so the option, even at a slightly higher price, would be nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

SJ once told a story about how he appreciates an artisan or craftsman who pays attention to how the BACK of the product looks. Like a dresser. Yes, it's true that no one is going to see the back, so there might not be an obvious argument for using good wood and finishing it nicely. But the craftsman knows it's there.

no joke. I have to stare at the back of the other guy's computer all day and I would rather have the 'cheap plastic' of the mac than the candy colored back of a Dell any day.

Quote:
And just to go back and kinda refute the "iMacs are for buyers who don't care" argument, I always enjoy Apple's web presentation of the new features and comparisons to the prior model's power use, graphics abilities, CPU performance, size, weight, etc. Apple takes the effort to explain their new product in detail, with the current iMac boasting five headings: Design, Features, Mac OS X + iLife, Environment, Tech Specs. While it's probably true that most PC buyers don't understand or care about technical details, I think the Average Mac buyer certainly does.

that stuff works because Apple (both in the keynotes and the staff in stores) has a tendency to follow up the details with 'and this means'. so you can tune out the details about the specs and just here the 'why do I care about this'. Unlike the shirts at some places that just try to wow you with the details and leave you wondering if they actually know the answer to the Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank god Apple realizes the mistake they made modelling everything based upon the iPhones looks.

I wouldn't be so sure they call it a mistake. After all, how many computers have they sold recently.
and before you bring up the whole LED display as an example, remember that it lacks a lot of the innards of an imac so it simply has no need for 'the chin'. and that could be why that detail is lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

How about a keyboard with multi-gesture pad! Why don't we have one of these yet? And why should laptop users have all the fun!

i could go for that. although I really like this one mock up I saw for a fully touchscreen keyboard that would charge labels according to what you were doing. so if you are typing you might see the letters (in your choice of QWERTY or other), if you are running FCP you would see the shortcuts, in a game you might see the controller labels if it uses kids, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Does anyone else find the port locations to be extremely irritating?

a little I wouldn't mind if they added front audio ports and perhaps front usb. or at least side. but if they do front they need to do something to cover it up when you aren't using it. slide off panel or something. having naked ports on the front is like seeing your granny in her panties. ugh.
post #200 of 486
I'm sure what ever they put out will still keep them 1 step ahead of others. But regardless of what they put it it will always be ahead of every computer company in the world due to one factor... OS X. Let's face it, that is the the king in the land of transistors. It can do anything we want it to. It can be anything we want it to be. It can even run every other OS on the planet.

And because it can run every OS on the planet and do so faster and better than the other guys... It is everything we want and need.

You can cry for mega flop sudo-core chips and GPU's beyond compare but the fact is that it doesn't matter because what they offer now is more than enough for 90% of the people on the planet. You need more? They have a system for you, it's called a MacPro. If your into apps that demand more than an iMac can handle then your not gonna find an All-in-One system anyways.

Love it or hate it they make the best because they use the best. And it's the best that make what they use.

Ok, back to the wish list...
Can I opt in for a smaller iMac with 1080 res? With a total power consumption of less than 40 watts. Gimme a MacMini with a 17-18.5" HR Screen and package the whole deal around $799. 2.0ghz, 2gb, 160gb HD with a super drive is plenty. HP's got an iMac look-a-like coming out October 22nd priced at $599 for the same bit of kit above cept it uses AMD's 3250e cpu (not bad, been using one for 2 weeks now along side the mini).

THEN make the high end mini a 2.2ghz base and 2.53 optional with 4gb, 320gb (7200rpm BTO) at $749... Still keeping the base Mini where it sits with maybe a price reduction or throw in the mini kybd and mini mouse. I think the Mini needs to be packaged with a kybd and mouse now. Small organic packaging and toss it on the shelves of any super-box store at $599.

Top it all off, SD Card slots on all, mini gets it right below the aluminum ring, center. iMac gets one dead center of the Apple logo (so to not smudge up the design with a slot).

Make the boxes green and white.

With the updates coming to iMac and MacBooks it's going to be a CPU update at least. So Core i series will probably be a go since no updates to the "Core" involve more performance just lower power (MacBook Air?).

Ohh... Towel Please,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line