or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line - Page 12

post #441 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I was in an Apple Store and saw a woman trying to press the icons with her fingers on a MacBook Pro screen.

Nice one... but honestly. Notebooks with touch screen, sure why not. You carry it round, usually it sits on your lap or somewhere fairly close to you and you don't work on it all day long. On the other hand imagine having a 24" iMac sitting in front of you on a desk with the keyboard and some desk space in between and now try to stretch your arms out and work in this position with a touch screen, flipping and resizing images, browsing the web etc... how long do you think most people will last, 10 - 15 minutes before you'll loose all feeling in your arms and pass out? No thanks but a desktop computer with a touchscreen is just a gimmick and not meant for serious work. I'll pass...

And on a different note... is Apple going to finally introduce the iMacs tomorrow or do we have to stay in the dark for another couple weeks before uncle Steve pushes the big red GO button?
post #442 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

When you figure they put a 'hot' G5 in there, and they went to Intel for PPWatt, I'm amazed we can't have a desktop i7 in there when we had a desktop G5 in there?

Boy them G5 iMacs were hot! You're right. You could have a desktop i7 in the iMac. Oh wait, the iMac is now much thinner and quieter. Well, that's Apple's priorities, I guess.

Apple should go to liquid cooling. Just for the Lulz.
post #443 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by matejay View Post

Nice one... but honestly. Notebooks with touch screen, sure why not. You carry it round, usually it sits on your lap or somewhere fairly close to you and you don't work on it all day long. On the other hand imagine having a 24" iMac sitting in front of you on a desk with the keyboard and some desk space in between and now try to stretch your arms out and work in this position with a touch screen, flipping and resizing images, browsing the web etc... how long do you think most people will last, 10 - 15 minutes before you'll loose all feeling in your arms and pass out? No thanks but a desktop computer with a touchscreen is just a gimmick and not meant for serious work. I'll pass...

And on a different note... is Apple going to finally introduce the iMacs tomorrow or do we have to stay in the dark for another couple weeks before uncle Steve pushes the big red GO button?

They just need a notebook that doubles as a tablet and vice versa and all good to go with the touchscreen. I want a touchscreen if just reading like reading a magazine/book, writing notes eg. ideas or if I was a student, and drawing/ retouching art stuff. But while doing that I want the keyboard to fold/ slide away. Then of course the tablet would have touch gaming features... that's a nifty bonus.

Why the hell a normal PC screen should have touch enabled like the Dell and Gateways etc. is well beyond me.
post #444 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But the choice is between bad and worse.

What do you mean? Is Windows 7 that bad?
post #445 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple should make a lickable iMac screen.

Snozzberries taste like snozzberries....

post #446 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

They are either coming next week or skipping a week after next and coming the week after earnings. Apple doesn't release major new hardware during their earnings week.

Is that a rule written in stone?
post #447 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Actually, not its pretty decent. Redmond's copy machine must have been upgraded. What you need to understand is that sometimes on this platform someone can become do devoted that they lose all objectivity and ability to see anything of value beyond what Apple is currently doing.
post #448 of 486
Quote:

Mossberg says its "the best version of Windows to date." Although he said exactly the same thing about Vista two years ago. It's certainly an improvement over Vista and XP, I'll grant that, but until they get rid of the registry and it's DOS underpinnings, it's still a pig with lipstick on it.

If I was forced, at gunpoint, to own a Windows system, I'd probably have one that ran 7 as it's OS (f I could only figure out which of the six variants to buy ).

MS's only hope is to pull an OS9-OSX break and completely rewrite the thing from the ground up but the chances of that happening when so many corporate clients are locked into their antiquated technology is smaller than zero.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #449 of 486
Quote:
What you need to understand is that sometimes on this platform someone can become do devoted that they lose all objectivity and ability to see anything of value beyond what Apple is currently doing.

*Nods.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #450 of 486
Quote:

*Nods.

If I knew who you were quoting... I might know why you are ... nodding.

Just sayin'
post #451 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Mossberg says its "the best version of Windows to date." Although he said exactly the same thing about Vista two years ago. It's certainly an improvement over Vista and XP, I'll grant that, but until they get rid of the registry and it's DOS underpinnings, it's still a pig with lipstick on it.

If I was forced, at gunpoint, to own a Windows system, I'd probably have one that ran 7 as it's OS (f I could only figure out which of the six variants to buy ).

MS's only hope is to pull an OS9-OSX break and completely rewrite the thing from the ground up but the chances of that happening when so many corporate clients are locked into their antiquated technology is smaller than zero.

I still don't understand why Redmond never invested in another OS offering that ditched things like the Registry and DOS. It's like they never learned anything from Apple's do-it-all-at-once approach that nearly killed the company.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #452 of 486
Quote:

I was talking about the manufacturers of PCs. The subject was the lack of choice for Macs, vs the broad choice for PCs.

You've got cheaply made PCs, and even more cheaply made PCs. To me, that's not much of a choice.
post #453 of 486
Quote:

I was talking about the manufacturers of PCs. The subject was the lack of choice for Macs, vs the broad choice for PCs.

You've got cheaply made PCs, and even more cheaply made PCs. To me, that's not much of a choice.

There are plenty of PCs that aren't cheaply made, you know. Apple does not have a monopoly on quality. In fact Apple's focus isn't on quality at all, but on industrial design and customer service, which are both important, too.
post #454 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

There are plenty of PCs that aren't cheaply made, you know. Apple does not have a monopoly on quality. In fact Apple's focus isn't on quality at all, but on industrial design and customer service, which are both important, too.

Quality covers everything. Service is an important aspect of quality. Just read the surveys, and you can see how Apple stands in the rankings.
post #455 of 486
Well....

what are they waiting for!?
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #456 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

Well....

...maybe to be as close as possible to the Windows 7 release.
post #457 of 486
Quote:

Well....

Yeah, I can't believe they've let another Tuesday pass. If they see the need to build up weeks of inventory prior to the launch, they must have really high hopes for the new iMac.
post #458 of 486
Guys, these ARE just rumors.

Apple doesn't have to live up to a rumored schedule.
post #459 of 486
Quote:

Mehhhhhhh.

As opposed to expensive Macs with underperforming laptop components? Or even more expensive Macs with laptop components?

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Melgross complaining that the PC market doesn't offer choice? Well, on my Apple Mac planet...we have...a Mac Mini biscuit tin. A laptop in a biscuit tin. £500. No k/b or mouse or Monitor. Or a...a laptop on a stick! £995 to start with. For even more more than a laptop! Or...laptops. But these really are laptops. Or a thinner laptop called an 'air'. Ok. All expensive...*peruses. Ok. What about an Apple 'PC' that does anything remotely similar to the PC market? oh? The Pro? Ah. That will cost you £1800 for the entry model Sir. WHAT? Yes. £1000 more than the cheapest PC quadcore. Are you insane? Nope. Are you saying we really don't have a 'cheap' quadcore for less than £1800?

Yes. We only do expensive.

Oh.

That's your choice Sir.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #460 of 486
Quote:

What, like Apple offering choice?

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #461 of 486
Quote:

More expensive and underperforming laptop parts?

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #462 of 486
Windows 7 comes out next week. What better gift could Steve J give MS than to deliver new hardware that runs 7? Even if OS X runs better?

My guess now is new iMacs, Mac mini and MacBooks just to liven up the consumer markets.

I'm sure MS will be appreciative.
Ken
Ken
post #463 of 486
Quote:

Mehhhhhhh.

As opposed to expensive Macs with underperforming laptop components? Or even more expensive Macs with laptop components?

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Melgross complaining that the PC market doesn't offer choice? Well, on my Apple Mac planet...we have...a Mac Mini biscuit tin. A laptop in a biscuit tin. £500. No k/b or mouse or Monitor. Or a...a laptop on a stick! £995 to start with. For even more more than a laptop! Or...laptops. But these really are laptops. Or a thinner laptop called an 'air'. Ok. All expensive...*peruses. Ok. What about an Apple 'PC' that does anything remotely similar to the PC market? oh? The Pro? Ah. That will cost you £1800 for the entry model Sir. WHAT? Yes. £1000 more than the cheapest PC quadcore. Are you insane? Nope. Are you saying we really don't have a 'cheap' quadcore for less than £1800?

Oh.

That's your choice Sir.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Improve your reading skills. I said the choice is between bad and worse, not that they don't HAVE a choice.
post #464 of 486
Quote:

Mehhhhhhh.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh.

That's your choice Sir.

Lemon Bon Bon.

What you write is true. To add onto it, I currently believe that this mentality alright considering Apple's goals, though.

Apple doesn't want the most high powered device; it wants a device that can do a lot. As underpowered as their selection may seem compared to current offerings, their current component upgrade track makes more sense considering their goals. Despite better, more powerful components available, i7 PC's provide little added benefit to the average consumer while using more energy and taking up more space.

Apple's offerings have plenty of power for average usage of their target audience, but they also look nicer, have an arguably better overall usage experience, and look cool.

People feel good using their products, get their needs met, and feel happy with the overall product.

Allow me to say that again: People's needs are met, and people feel happy because of the product. That's where they excel, and sell.

In a world where nobody cares to learn what the hell an i7 is because their Mac does everything they want and more, Apple rules.
post #465 of 486
All you people who keep yelling for quad core, keep in mind that most of the current quad core choices that don't put out 130 watts are $500 or more, which is twice what Apple is currently paying for the processor. So guess where the price point is going to go with quad core? UP UP and AWAY! But you are also complaining about Apple's prices. You can't have it both ways. Given the product designs Apple is happy with, they need to minimize wattage, chip count and price while getting all the performance they can. That is a hard mix to get. Quad core is only going to make sense when the wattage, cihp count and price come down to a range that fits with Apple's product mix.
post #466 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

All you people who keep yelling for quad core, keep in mind that most of the current quad core choices that don't put out 130 watts are $500 or more, which is twice what Apple is currently paying for the processor. So guess where the price point is going to go with quad core? UP UP and AWAY! But you are also complaining about Apple's prices. You can't have it both ways. Given the product designs Apple is happy with, they need to minimize wattage, chip count and price while getting all the performance they can. That is a hard mix to get. Quad core is only going to make sense when the wattage, cihp count and price come down to a range that fits with Apple's product mix.

Core i7 is the answer... price and wattage is GOOD, heat GOOD, performance SWEET and quite honestly at the price thay are charging for the 24" at the moment there loads and loads of margin to put this baby in.
post #467 of 486
Quote:

Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon.

Nvidia chipset.
post #468 of 486
Quote:

Core i7 is the answer... price and wattage is GOOD, heat GOOD, performance SWEET and quite honestly at the price thay are charging for the 24" at the moment there loads and loads of margin to put this baby in.

Umm not the price mate. Now inhale away from the bong for a while. LOL just kidding. Seriously though, Apple could work a Core i7 into the top-end 24"... It's a matter of willpower, or will-not.
post #469 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

i like this thought. when is that again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Seriously though, Apple could work a Core i7 into the top-end 24"... It's a matter of willpower, or will-not.

without quad-core i won't buy :-) that easy.

Quote:

Apple doesn't have to live up to a rumored schedule.

if i remember correctly, october has always been a month for new products from apple (mac). just like we have september for iPods... could be wrong though.

Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon.

i don't care about the $100 plus i'd have to pay. i don't want to buy a mac pro and i don't want dual core. a $1500 quad-core+24" mac should be possible and fit with the needs of many people. core2duo with 2-3GHz was yesterday.
post #470 of 486
Well I hope Apple pull something out the bag soon. My iBook's on its last legs and there's nothing in the current Macbook/iMac line-up that appeals to me at all.
post #471 of 486
Quote:

i like this thought. when is that again?

Thursday Oct 22nd.
post #472 of 486
Quote:

Actually industrial design does focus on quality in a big way.
post #473 of 486
I heard that new iMacs are coming the day after earnings!

Maybe the 3:1 stock split. and $5 Billion stock buyback and quarterly div coming!

Stay long, the new iMacs will take care of sales for X-mass!
post #474 of 486
Seems like a llllooong wait since this thread was first started 9/24

My old iBook G4's HD is almost full, waiting rather impatiently to see specs on new iMac, if sufficiently updated will spring.

Very curious what "new audio component" will be. So many new advancements just around the horizon.

Wonder if they're waiting for the new Mouse?
post #475 of 486
Quote:

without quad-core i won't buy :-) that easy.

i don't want to buy a mac pro and i don't want dual core. a $1500 quad-core+24" mac should be possible and fit with the needs of many people.

If the quad core processor is $500 or more as most of them are, you are not going to get a 24 inch iMac for $1500. Perhaps a high end $2,300 maybe. In any case I don't think those options will be announced in this update; more probably they will be part of early 2010 update when the Mac Pro is rumored to get a top of the line quad upgrade.
post #476 of 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

If the quad core processor is $500 or more as most of them are, you are not going to get a 24 inch iMac for $1500. Perhaps a high end $2,300 maybe. In any case I don't think those options will be announced in this update; more probably they will be part of early 2010 update when the Mac Pro is rumored to get a top of the line quad upgrade.

Well the lower-end Quad-core i7 is $360, the medium one is $550 and I bet that Apple can easily get another 20% off that price so having a $300 or $450 processor in a $1600+ mid and higher end iMac... I don't think it's too much to ask for. The question is when...
post #477 of 486
Quote:

Well the lower-end Quad-core i7 is $360, the medium one is $550 and I bet that Apple can easily get another 20% off that price so having a $300 or $450 processor in a $1600+ mid and higher end iMac... I don't think it's too much to ask for. The question is when...

Apple can't charge what they pay for a part. It's the practice in all industries to charge between 1.5 to 3 times what was paid for the part, depending on various reasons.
post #478 of 486
Quote:

Apple can't charge what they pay for a part. It's the practice in all industries to charge between 1.5 to 3 times what was paid for the part, depending on various reasons.

Of course they wouldn't "sell" it to you or me for the purchase price... what I was trying to say was that the mobile i7 processor is not that ridiculously out of place for the future iMac. It's not that much more expensive than the current Core2Duo they use and with most other iMac components being a LOT cheaper than 2 years ago (RAM, HDD, screen...) there is plenty of margin to work with. And if HP, Sony and many, many others can stuff the mobile i7 into sub $2000 notebooks and $1500 all-in-one desktops then why not the iMac? I might be too optimistic but I'm still hoping that after 2 years of luke-warm upgrades for the iMac line this one will be a BIG one.
post #479 of 486
Quote:

Of course they wouldn't "sell" it to you or me for the purchase price... what I was trying to say was that the mobile i7 processor is not that ridiculously out of place for the future iMac. It's not that much more expensive than the current Core2Duo they use and with most other iMac components being a LOT cheaper than 2 years ago (RAM, HDD, screen...) there is plenty of margin to work with. And if HP, Sony and many, many others can stuff the mobile i7 into sub $2000 notebooks and $1500 all-in-one desktops then why not the iMac? I might be too optimistic but I'm still hoping that after 2 years of luke-warm upgrades for the iMac line this one will be a BIG one.

I wish it were true.

But I'm willing to bet that Apple's cases cost several times as much as a PC case. Apple also spends far more on service, etc.

PC vendors make little on even a $1,000+ PC. I don't want to see Apple getting into that low margin spiral.
post #480 of 486
I also think Apples cases cost most as the bulk of the PC cases you can buy is cheap templated rubbish that is designed to fit a plethora of various motherboards, drives CD Bays.
Saying that it means I can put together a low cost system for $500 and run some linux/unix derivative to avoid the Microsucks license cost and additional cost for anti virus etc ware.

The Mini is great but its still pretty $$$ for what it is, the small form factor will always means it will be a poor performer (comparatively) as heat will always be an issue.

Dobby
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line