or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users - Page 2

post #41 of 178
In typical Apple fashion it just works and it works well. It blends right into the existing sms function. This is much better than emailing mm files.
post #42 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No offense to those who have been waiting breathlessly for MMS, but...
Whoop-de-f-ing DOO.

I'm struggling to grasp the earth-shattering need to watch the latest 'hey dig me now!' photo come in in real time, but to each his own. Hardly worth the churn its generated tho'.

Another "doubter". Thanks for enlightening us.
post #43 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspears View Post

In typical Apple fashion it just works and it works well. It blends right into the existing sms function. This is much better than emailing mm files.

CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN???
MEL ARE YOU LISTENING?
post #44 of 178
Teckstud argued that the iPhone should have had MMS from day one... I disagreed. Clearly, he was right.
post #45 of 178
Just updated my 3GS and rebooted and all is well.

Sent my first MMS (a pic) to a friend who replied back with a pic.

Time to party like it's 2002, people.
post #46 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Very weird right? Like the kind of thing you would expect in some kind of state of emergency .

When it happened to me I tried to call a few different numbers and all respond in the way you describe and I also had to reboot which immediately solved the issue.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #47 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

If she has 200 messages included with her plan, does she have an original iPhone? The MMS functionality only works on the 3G and 3GS...

Yes hers is 3G and mine is 3GS.
post #48 of 178
Anyone with kids in college is loving this I promise you. It is not earth shattering like penicillin was but it's pretty damn good.
post #49 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN???
MEL ARE YOU LISTENING?

who is mel?
post #50 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Yes hers is 3G and mine is 3GS.

No, the original iPhone was not 3G. It was EDGE. If she has the original iPhone, she cannot do MMS. If she has 3G she does not have 200 messages included in her plan. The 200 included messages was only on the original (EDGE) iPhone plan.

So you have 3GS, but what does she have? 3G or the original iPhone (EDGE)?
post #51 of 178
...sent many a pics to my kids. Nice.
post #52 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFrozen View Post

so if u already have 3.1, its just a harmless carrier update similar to the tethering hack, right?

my wife's 3G gets screwed up (basically bricked for days) every time we do an OS update, but it's currently at 3.1

After I upgraded to 3.0 to get push notification, is there really a need to upgrade further? MMS? Send an email. Better search features? There's an app for that. Improved calendar? There's an app for that too. So why update and risk having your battery bleed out or your wifi stop working...in addition to your tethering(jailbroken) not working? BTW, I have beehive and I can send pics through there to any mobile just fine.
post #53 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspears View Post

who is mel?

why melgross of course!
post #54 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I canceled my text plan and started using Beejive some time ago. How much does this matter at this point?

I suspect there will be no problems with the network because people with an iPhone have access to much better solutions and will not pay AT&T for what we have been doing for free.

Beejive is a nice app!!!
post #55 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.

My bad...it is the messaging plan.
post #56 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post

Requires iPhone OS 3.1 eh? Hmmm, should I sacrifice my 3.0-based tethering, or upgrade for MMS? I'll stick with tethering and no application-genius thank you very much lol.

+1 I Have a jailbroken phone which does everything I need.
post #57 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No, the original iPhone was not 3G. It was EDGE. If she has the original iPhone, she cannot do MMS. If she has 3G she does not have 200 messages included in her plan. The 200 included messages was only on the original (EDGE) iPhone plan.

So you have 3GS, but what does she have? 3G or the original iPhone (EDGE)?

She has 3G and 200 messages (from when we upgraded from the original iphone, the 200 included texts stayed). I had to add 200 messages for mine within our family plan because I wanted some texting capability so again she has 3G (200 texts) and I have 3GS (200 texts). Thanks in advance.
post #58 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

She has 3G and 200 messages (from when we upgraded from the original iphone, the 200 included texts stayed). I had to add 200 messages for mine within our family plan because I wanted some texting capability so again she has 3G (200 texts) and I have 3GS (200 texts). Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that. When I upgraded my original to 3GS, I had to sign a new contract and go with the plan. Which was unlimited data and no messages included. So I had to buy a messaging plan.

If what you say is true, (that her 200 messages are included, rather than paid for separately), then maybe AT&T is treating her like she doesn't have a paid messaging plan and not sending the actual messages. I bet a call to AT&T could clear that up.
post #59 of 178
Quote: "After months of waiting"

you misspelled "years"
post #60 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that. When I upgraded my original to 3GS, I had to sign a new contract and go with the plan. Which was unlimited data and no messages included. So I had to buy a messaging plan.

If what you say is true, (that her 200 messages are included, rather than paid for separately), then maybe AT&T is treating her like she doesn't have a paid messaging plan and not sending the actual messages. I bet a call to AT&T could clear that up.

Thanks and I most likely will but I will assume ATT is really going to be busy these next few days after this activation. We text each other and other people all the time and I just checked our ATT account online and we do indeed both have 200 text messages each. I had thought sending a photo was going to be just like sending a text. Perhaps I am wrong?
post #61 of 178
When will the brain dead stop wasting bandwidth and just RTFA!!??
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #62 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Thanks and I most likely will but I will assume ATT is really going to be busy these next few days after this activation. We text each other and other people all the time and I just checked our ATT account online and we do indeed both have 200 text messages each. I had thought sending a photo was going to be just like sending a text. Perhaps I am wrong?

some people elsewhere on blogs have been reporting the same thing, perhaps there are some kinks they need to work out still? or server propagation? maybe the problem will resolve itself soon
post #63 of 178
just tried sending a pic to a co-worker with an iphone and it DIDN'T go thru. she hasn't downloaded the update.

so you can only "receive" pics if you have the update as well. was. not. aware.
post #64 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotool View Post

just tried sending a pic to a co-worker with an iphone and it DIDN'T go thru. she hasn't downloaded the update.

so you can only "receive" pics if you have the update as well. was. not. aware.

Nothing gets received at all? Not even the text message that says go to 'View My Message' web site? I'm wondering, if you send her a regular text message, does she still get it? Maybe if you don't apply this update, this is how you can get around the SMS/MMS packaged deal.
post #65 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Nothing gets received at all? Not even the text message that says go to 'View My Message' web site? I'm wondering, if you send her a regular text message, does she still get it? Maybe if you don't apply this update, this is how you can get around the SMS/MMS packaged deal.


i first tried to send a pic. then sent a SMS "test" message. the "test" message went through but the MMS didn't.
post #66 of 178
Wow! I'm gonna partly likes it's 2003!!!! \

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #67 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotool View Post

just tried sending a pic to a co-worker with an iphone and it DIDN'T go thru. she hasn't downloaded the update.

so you can only "receive" pics if you have the update as well. was. not. aware.

Is that you William Shatner?

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #68 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

My wife's phone has the original 200 messages included in her plan and I pay 5$ for my 200 messages, so I think we have the message plan. What gives?

The $5 covers one phone for 200 messages. Need to add the messaging plan to each phone.
post #69 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFrozen View Post

some people elsewhere on blogs have been reporting the same thing, perhaps there are some kinks they need to work out still? or server propagation? maybe the problem will resolve itself soon

Well apparently, according to ATT, when I upgraded my 2G to 3G, all plans transferred. My wife used the 2G and I the 3G. We texted, etc. Then I wanted the 3GS when it came out, so I transferred the 3G plan to the 3GS and transferred my wife's 2G plan to my old 3G which she now uses, BUT ATT transferred the 2G data plan over to the 3G...so I have to drop her 2G data plan and upgrade to the 3G data plan, of course for more $$$ still haven't made up my mind yet. Thanks to all. Problem solved.
post #70 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Well apparently, according to ATT, when I upgraded my 2G to 3G, all plans transferred. My wife used the 2G and I the 3G. We texted, etc. Then I wanted the 3GS when it came out, so I transferred the 3G plan to the 3GS and transferred my wife's 2G plan to my old 3G which she now uses, BUT ATT transferred the 2G date plan over to the 3G...so I have to drop her 2G date plan and upgrade to the 3G data plan, of course for more $$$ still haven't made up my mind yet. Thanks to all. Problem solved.

ah ok

maybe its situations like these that explain the probs others are having. maybe it all just actually works when its set up like its supposed to
post #71 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Time to party like it's 2002, people.

Yeah, MMS is so 2002. Passing fad.
post #72 of 178
Can't send them.....oh well. I guess all the morons who are sending MMS messages for the sole purpose to break ATT's network are busy clogging the pipes. Can people who have the same sending issue verify that they have the setting that shows them the MMS carrier settings?
post #73 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, MMS is so 2002. Passing fad.

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #74 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

There's an app for that. Improved calendar? There's an app for that too.

What improved calendar are you talking about?
post #75 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."

Maybe he stilll reads newspapers?
post #76 of 178
Hi guys! Good for you! Here in Portugal we have MMS since iPhone 3G with 3.0!
post #77 of 178
I am onAmtrak heading down to DC now. Before I left work I found someone witha PC with current iTunes, connected my phone and it took 5 secons at most to update. I am now waiting for my friends to update. I did send a pic txt to a friend's Verizon phone. I like the interface and how you can tap the pic and enlarge it- very cool. This iPhone just keeps gettinbetter!
post #78 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."

I agree. In general, Apple doesn't do passing fads.

I wouldn't doubt that MMS might even gain more traction when people see how easy it is to do on the iPhone, and yes, Apple will sell more iPhones.

Apple didn't add MMS if it was a passing fad.
post #79 of 178
The videos are of such bad resolution, this is histerical!
post #80 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Maybe he stilll reads newspapers?

I didn't know newspapers weren't cool. I just cancelled my subscription. I hope my neighbors didn't see.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users