or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users - Page 3

post #81 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The videos are of such bad resolution, this is histerical!

I haven't been home yet to update, but was the video taken with the iPhone? How does the same video look when you send it via email? Does the video look just as bad on another type of phone?
post #82 of 178
Quote:

The videos are of such bad resolution, this is histerical!

Maybe that's why the TV stations say if you catch a video of breaking news EMAIL it to us.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #83 of 178
Quote:

I just tried to call somebody and it looks like I'm connected on the phone yet I get no audilble ring or signal? What's up with that? I had to totally reboot my phone.

The Donger say -- this an issue for many who updated to 3.1. Check Apple support forums for more info!

Must go now! Donger needs to MMS photos of Donger Jr. to sexy American girlfriend!
post #84 of 178
MMS finally. Wait, is this 2003? Oh. Never mind....Been there, forgot that already...
post #85 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.

While SMS are data, MMS are more so in that the actual data from the MMS is sent and stored on a server, where as SMS are generally delivered in real-time and no longer exist on the SMSC-S.
post #86 of 178
You have something to back up the "heavily used" claim?

From what I've seen MMS is hardly used at all and only makes up a very small percentage of SMS traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #87 of 178
Quote:

I haven't been home yet to update, but was the video taken with the iPhone? How does the same video look when you send it via email? Does the video look just as bad on another type of phone?

Yes the video was taken with the iPhone. You have 2 choices, you can record it directly in Message App or choose anexisting video frm your camera roll. It then downgrades it to MMS quality which ou can see after you send the message. You can play it back in messaging which opens it up. It's smaller and choppy but it's viewable, like any phone has. ItsMMS quality not as nice as sending via email BUT FASTER IT IS. Pics look much better.
post #88 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

From what I've seen MMS is hardly used at all and only makes up a very small percentage of SMS traffic.

It makes up zero percent actually as an MMS is not an SMS, thus not part of SMS traffic. You would see an MMS in data traffic stats.
post #89 of 178
Quote:

If you don't use it how would you see it?
post #90 of 178
New discovery : when viewing any pic or vid in camera roll you now have an option added for sending via MMS in addition to email.
post #91 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, MMS is so 2002. Passing fad.

Right, and so the implementation of MMS today was due to the fact that Apple thought they'd jump on the passing fad band wagon?
post #92 of 178
Quote:

New discovery : when viewing any pic or vid in camera roll you now have an option added for sending via MMS in addition to email.

I just have to be amused at the "excitement" of a feature that's been available for about 6 or 7 years and even available for most iPhones for the last few months.
post #93 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

While SMS are data, MMS are more so in that the actual data from the MMS is sent and stored on a server, where as SMS are generally delivered in real-time and no longer exist on the SMSC-S.

I think you misunderstood what we were talking about. We weren't talking about the actual data, we were talking about the phone plans. An AT&T Data plan vs. an AT&T Messaging plan. It was confirmed that you need to buy a messaging plan to get MMS included.
post #94 of 178
Quote:

Yes the video was taken with the iPhone. You have 2 choices, you can record it directly in Message App or choose anexisting video frm your camera roll. It then downgrades it to MMS quality which ou can see after you send the message. You can play it back in messaging which opens it up. It's smaller and choppy but it's viewable, like any phone has. ItsMMS quality not as nice as sending via email BUT FASTER IT IS. Pics look much better.

OK, so all other things being equal, it's a quality vs. speed thing. If you want to send a pic or video and want the recipient to actually be able to make out what it is, send it via email. If you want it to get there a few seconds sooner, use MMS.
post #95 of 178
Quote:

I think you misunderstood what we were talking about. We weren't talking about the actual data, we were talking about the phone plans. An AT&T Data plan vs. an AT&T Messaging plan. It was confirmed that you need to buy a messaging plan to get MMS included.

Ah, okay.
post #96 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by imixitup View Post

not sure if it's the update to 3.1 alone or the carrier update as well

Just the carrier
post #97 of 178
If you're still using 3.0 or 3.0.1, check out those post. I got MMS to work without 3.1

http://beefchowmein.wordpress.com/20...rading-to-3-1/
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
post #98 of 178
Quote:
Time to party like it's 2002, people.

Quote:
Wow! I'm gonna partly likes it's 2003!!!! \

Quote:
MMS finally. Wait, is this 2003? Oh. Never mind....Been there, forgot that already...

I just updated my phone and sent my first MMS and I'm still, "meh". But I do have to agree that on OTHER phones, yes MMS is so 2002, 2003 or whatever. Compared to what I've seen on other phones, it looks like Apple brought MMS up to 2009.
post #99 of 178
Quote:

I just updated my phone and sent my first MMS and I'm still, "meh". But I do have to agree that on OTHER phones, yes MMS is so 2002, 2003 or whatever. Compared to what I've seen on other phones, it looks like Apple brought MMS up to 2009.

No one used it in 2002 and no one uses it in 2009. It has never been a popular feature. Now, in the age of Facebook, Flicker, and MobileMe, there are easier and better ways to share pictures and videos with friends and the world at large. I remember when the commercials started airing for this feature. All of the use cases were silly and comedic. On a phone that can access the real internet, send and receive email, and have tons of apps providing this functionality at one's fingertips, MMS is even more of a none issue than ever before. AT&T is hoping with all their might that people will start using this, otherwise, useless technology and buy more text minutes.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #100 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

No one used it in 2002 and no one uses it in 2009. It has never been a popular feature.

Well, a lot of folks on here will vehemently disagree with you.

Like I said, "meh" to MMS in general, but I am glad to see at least that Apple made it as seamless and intuitive as SMS.....which I do use a lot.
post #101 of 178
Quote:

OK, so all other things being equal, it's a quality vs. speed thing. If you want to send a pic or video and want the recipient to actually be able to make out what it is, send it via email. If you want it to get there a few seconds sooner, use MMS.

Not quite- piture quality appears nearly the same. Video not so but it doesn't matter due to speed of MMS
post #102 of 178
So does the carrier settings file also get updated on 2G iPhones?!
post #103 of 178
Quote:

I haven't heard of plans carrying over like that.

Mine did as well.
post #104 of 178
Quote:

I don't think it's appropriate to call something that's been heavily used for the past 6 or 7 years a "passing fad."

Actually, you're wrong. http://www.macworld.com/article/1429...ms_iphone.html The research from ABI is a paid-for publication, but the MacWorld article cites the relevant numbers.

Global usage of MMS comprised only 2.5% of all messages sent worldwide. That's not exactly "heavy usage" as you so described for a technology that is 6-7 years old. But the reason is obvious, MMS is only a protocol for sending data (and not a very good one at that); it says absolutely nothing about the capabilities of the handsets that are sending and receiving, and nothing about the networks that are responsible for relaying and recoding that data so that recipients can actually see it. For example, if someone shoots a 3GP-based video on their device and then sends it to an iPhone recipient, how is the iPhone going to handle the decoding of that video? As far as I know, the iPhone does not have a 3GP codec, which means that AT&T's MMSC is going to have to be responsible for ensuring that the data is recoded to an appropriate format like H.264.

The same goes with photos. My iPhone captures images at nearly 3 megapixels; how does that scale down when sent to something like a Motorola RAZR which has limited screen real estate and not-so-powerful image processing capabilities?

At the end of the day, it's easy to see just why MMS has not taken off worldwide. Too many variables to deal with. And while there are many phones other than the iPhone that can handle its various MMS data, it's still hit and miss between carriers and incompatible devices. There's just no way to send an MMS with 100% confidence that the recipient will be able to see your message as intended.

Lastly, when people hear "MMS", they immediately think "photos" when it's capable of more than that. Video is obviously one example, but you also can MMS audio clips (from the Voice Memo app), contact cards (convenient when sharing contact info), and map locations. None of this is earth-shattering in its own right, but Apple could easily have stopped at a basic implementation of photo and video messaging only, but instead, extended the capabilities beyond that, making use of all the available functions of the iPhone platform. I think that's a good sign for users.

I agree that MMS-like capabilities are not a passing fad; on the contrary, I think people are much better served with these quick and easy ways to send data to other phones. However, I do think that MMS as a protocol is terrible and I sincerely hope that as the industry moves towards 4G they find a better way to handle that type of data.
post #105 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Lastly, when people hear "MMS", they immediately think "photos" when it's capable of more than that. Video is obviously one example, but you also can MMS audio clips (from the Voice Memo app), contact cards (convenient when sharing contact info), and map locations. None of this is earth-shattering in its own right, but Apple could easily have stopped at a basic implementation of photo and video messaging only, but instead, extended the capabilities beyond that, making use of all the available functions of the iPhone platform. I think that's a good sign for users.

thanks I forgot about the other useages.
post #106 of 178
Anyone besides me having issues with successful MMS picture sends? Since applying the update and restarting my iPhone, I have attempted to send pix somewhere around 10 times, and only 1 of the 10 times did the pic go through successfully. I am using a 3G iPhone, but am currently residing in an Edge-only area. Perhaps that could be the problem? Although it did go through successfully once. Hopefully, AT&T can get its act together, and pronto, or there will be a lot of ticked off iPhone users, assuming that others are having similar issues.

The message will show the pic inside the chat balloon, and the Send bar will first flow quite fast from left to right across the top of the chat window, but it then grinds to a halt with about the last 1/10th of the bar left, and just stalls out indefinitely until finally, I get the red exclamation mark with the "Send Error" attached. Urrgh.
post #107 of 178
Yep. Im 0 for 5. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T & apple to no resolve. They had me restore my phone. Didn't work. Typical AT&T
post #108 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven04 View Post

Yep. Im 0 for 5. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T & apple to no resolve. They had me restore my phone. Didn't work. Typical AT&T

Those AT&T jerks wouldn't update my phone for MMS in AT&T store today , said they couldn't cause they didn't have recent iTunes. Then they kept insisting it was an Apple update not their own.
post #109 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe that's why the TV stations say if you catch a video of breaking news EMAIL it to us.

NO maybe it's because like there is not one phonenumber that takes MMS at a TV station. CNN has posted
many a MMSvideo of Katrina, tsunami, Bhutto assasination and on and on. Let's get with the program now- oK?
post #110 of 178
Quote:

NO maybe it's because like there is not one phonenumber that takes MMS at a TV station.

If only there was a way that a TV station could have a cellphone attached to a computer so they could MMS video off of it instead of relying on the phone owner to copy it and email it over, thu potentially losing the story or being late with it. Oh yeah, the thing I just said.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #111 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

MMS is included in your text plan if you have one.

What I'd like to know is if I can update my phone using my work computer without "syncing" it to that computer. I sold my previous MacBook Pro and my new 13" MBP is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. We're going on a trip this weekend and it would be fun to the MMS capability to play with while on the trip.

You can use any itunes account. Just connect and hit check for update. Don't sync, just update and eject.
post #112 of 178
wow MMS in 2009/2010. Amazing tech.

post #113 of 178
Perhaps I'd better put it in mathematical terms as you seem to have trouble comprehending English.

x=SMS traffic
y=MMS traffic

y= (a very small percentage)x

Quote:

It makes up zero percent actually as an MMS is not an SMS, thus not part of SMS traffic. You would see an MMS in data traffic stats.
post #114 of 178
Since it's introduction in 2002, MMS messages have always been able to be sent to an email address.

Quote:

NO maybe it's because like there is not one phonenumber that takes MMS at a TV station. CNN has posted
many a MMSvideo of Katrina, tsunami, Bhutto assasination and on and on. Let's get with the program now- oK?
post #115 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Actually, you're wrong. http://www.macworld.com/article/1429...ms_iphone.html The research from ABI is a paid-for publication, but the MacWorld article cites the relevant numbers......... I sincerely hope that as the industry moves towards 4G they find a better way to handle that type of data.

Superb, fact-based, sober post. Thanks. (But it is the kind that is wasted on those here who prefer opinions to facts).
post #116 of 178
Quote:

It's not part of the DATA plan. It is separate. It's called the MESSAGING MMS/SMS plan. I have it- cost $15 more per month for unlimited MMS/SMS.

No to the previous, No its not part of the data plan and no you dont have unlimited for 1500 minutes.

Here's how the plans/MMS works:
Any Standard Voice Minutes Plan (450, 900, 1350 or unlimited minutes-- or a family plan)
+$30 PDA/Smartphone/Iphone DATA plan (unlimited emails/internet/downloads)
+$5 (200 messages), $15 (1500 messages), $20 (unlimited- one phone) or $30 (unlimited family plan) for a messaging plan-- A picture/standard text both count as 1 message.. so a picture message would count the same as a text message.

You could also forgo the messaging plan and pay per message-- but the data plan is required on the iphone. For more information, pick up the little brouchure at an AT&T/Apple Store.
post #117 of 178
Quote:

MMS isn't popular. It's unpopular. People who like it are using the myth that it's popular to get adoption.. The numbers are known. Very small percentage.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_network.html
post #118 of 178
Quote:

Since it's introduction in 2002, MMS messages have always been able to be sent to an email address.

Zero for two. MMS has been sent to phones that were MMS capable. Is it really that hard being correct.

Did I speak english well enough for you, and you are still wrong about MMS and SMS being similar. MMS are measured via data traffic specs unless you have discovered some other method.
post #119 of 178
Quote:

Zero for two. MMS has been sent to phones that were MMS capable. Is it really that hard being correct.

Did I speak english well enough for you, and you are still wrong about MMS and SMS being similar. MMS are measured via data traffic specs unless you have discovered some other method.

Were you sending those MMS to other iPhone users on AT&T's 3G network (not in EDGE coverage) that already have today's update? I'm just curious because I'm still skeptical about MMS working across networks AND devices. It would be one thing for one carrier to properly hand off the message to another carrier, and then you have to add in consideration for the recipient's phone itself. That's a lot of variables where things can go wrong.

And on another note, I sent an MMS message to a friend's iPhone on AT&T 3G who did NOT have the AT&T 5.5 carrier file and they did not receive anything whatsoever. I had sent a photo + some text and no part of the message arrived on their phone. That's interesting to me, because it's still not clear how AT&T handles messages sent to iPhones that are MMS-capable because of the OS 3.0 software, but who haven't updated the carrier file to AT&T 5.5.
post #120 of 178
Here are the UK SMS/ MM statistics for December 2008 (latest info not available):-

SMS messages sent in December 2008 - 7.7 billion
MMS messages sent in December 2008 - 56.75 million

We sent 135 times more SMSs messages than MMS messages.

Plus in the UK an SMS on the iPhone O2 tariffs counts as 4 or your inclusive SMS messages.
So 500 included SMS messages = 125 MMS messages.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users