or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › MacBook Pro won't Boot after 10.5.8 upgrade

MacBook Pro won't Boot after 10.5.8 upgrade

post #1 of 3
Hi,
My MacBook Pro won't boot now that I upgraded (sic) to 10.5.8. I get the grey apple screen with the spinning gear.

So if I boot into Verbose mode, I see the following constantly:

Sep 25 time Hostname ReportCrash[NNN]: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/loginwindow_2009-09-25-163118_Hostname.crash using uid: 0 gid:0, euid:0 egid:0

If I kill the machine and reboot to Single User, I can see my hard drive, all my data, etc. I think the disk is fine, it's just an app problem (login window probably).

I have done:

cd /Library/Preferences
mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist plist.OLD
mv com.apple.windowserver.plistOLD

But it didn't help... :-(

Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #2 of 3
A simple OS reinstall will probably fix it up. Sometimes, updates are known to install incorrectly and can stop the machine from booting.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #3 of 3
I wonder if you could put your Macbook Pro into target disk mode, connect it to another Mac, and then reinstall the 10.5.8 Combo Update from there. That might do the trick. But I don't know for sure that you can apply an OS update onto one drive when booted from a second drive, you'll have to try it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › MacBook Pro won't Boot after 10.5.8 upgrade